Brewer Fanatic

8/8/05 - Cardinals (Morris) @ Brewers (Vampire) - 7:05 CST

gbpacker40

In what comes down to another huge series, the NL best ST. Louis Cardinals visit Milwaukee for a 3 game stint that could prove whether or not the Brewers are legit contenders for this years Wild Card. Brewers are currently back 4.5 games with Cincy, Colorado and the Wild Card leading Astros being the next 3 series.

Cardinals

70 - 41

Brewers

56 - 56

Head to Head

Cards ahead 7-3 in season series

Pitching matchup

STL: RHP Matt Morris? 12-4, 3.68 ERA in 2005

? 1-0, 3.60 ERA in 2005 vs. MIL

Matt Morris has been rough as of late posting these lines....

Last 3 games

20 IP

26 Hits

10/4 K/BB

5 HR

6.75 ERA

MIL: RHP Victor Santos? 3-11, 4.02 ERA in 2005

? 0-2, 6.60 ERA in 2005 vs. STL

Santos has been no better than Morris lately....

Last 3 Games

17 IP

19 Hits

7/7 K/BB

3 HR

5.29 ERA

Televison Broadcasts

FSN - ESPN

Attendance Figures 2005 "Miller Park"

50 games

1,392,547 Total

27,850 Average

2,255,850 Projected

cbs.Sportsline

CNNSI

ESPN

Milwaukeebrewers.com Preview

Buy Tickets for the Game

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we could take 2 out of 3 from the Cards, I'd say it would be a great series for the Crew.

Agreed... if the Brewers win this series, I'll be ecstatic. The pitching matchups look okay, minus tonight's game (Santos never looks good in a matchup, especially lately). Only problem is, the Cards have the Crew severely out-gunned offensively. But, this is baseball, so anything can happen.

But we all know a strikeout isn't a true outcome because one can reach base via the strikeout. A walk and a homerun are the only true outcomes.

Actually, THT did a thing on 2TO and said that it was the K and the HR only and that walks were a sign of weakness. Tongue is planted fimly in cheek, but it's a pretty funny read.

LINK

Branyan better be in the lineup tonight. I'd be happy if the lineup shook out something like this even though it probably won't.

Clark

Weeks

Jenkins

Lee

Overbay

Hall

Branyan

Miller

9th spot

Too many times it seems Jenkins isn't coming up with guys on base. I think that we need to give him a chance to drive in some runs.

can"t remember a biiger series this late into the Season.

Although we were already out of it, I did like squishing the Astros' post-season dreams at the end of the 2003 season.

[ignore me if that didn't actually happen]

This is definitely a big series, but they all are - especially when the circumstances are what they are with the 12 losing seasons and such. I may be being too much of a "realist", but I'd be happy with one out of three against the Cards and three out of four from the Reds.

I know this is going off the game-thread topic a little, but And That I really don't buy the argument that the number of teams ahead of the Brewers matter. They're back 4 1/2 games, and that's all that matters. If the Brewers go on something like a 5-game winning streak, which is not that unlikely, they'll be passing a few teams and find themselves right in it. All they have to do is win; 2 NL East teams will fall back for sure.

I know that the Astros are a tough team but I like the fact that the Brewers play them 10 more times this year. It gives the Brewers to sink or swim on their own accord without having to hope for others to do their dirty work. Then again, they might end up 2-8 against them.

Quote:
I know this is going off the game-thread topic a little, but And That I really don't buy the argument that the number of teams ahead of the Brewers matter. They're back 4 1/2 games, and that's all that matters. If the Brewers go on something like a 5-game winning streak, which is not that unlikely, they'll be passing a few teams and find themselves right in it. All they have to do is win; 2 NL East teams will fall back for sure.

It doesn't matter much today, but with each passing day it matters more and more. Unfortunately, as the NL East teams play eachother, the wins and losses for those teams will even out. The Brewers will have to win a whole lot of games to get ahead of them. You are right in that a modest winning streak will do wonders though.

Archived