Brewer Fanatic

8/10/05 - Cardinals (Suppan) @ Brewers (Big Ben) - 1:05 CST

ThePurpleStorm
  • Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we got swept by AAA batters, a AAA pitcher, #3 starter and a #5 starter. Granted, that AAA lineup had Albert Pujols in the middle of it, but he didnt kill us. Taguchi and company did.

Easily the worst series of the year. I dont care what uniform they are wearing, were were more talented than they were for these 3 games.

Quote:
Anyone who defends leaving Sheets in to hit for himself doesnt have a leg to stand on...sorry, that was a terrible non-move.

.....An idiot knows to pinch hit for the P in that situation....

.....everyone should have seen that move as being wrong

Why do we have these types of posts? Is agreeing with or disagreeing with a move not allowed? State your opinion as such:

Quote:
1. If Yost woud have PH for Sheets w/ Helms or Branyan and we would have tied the score, only to lose later I would have said good move, why cant they score more runs.

2. If Sheets his a 3 run HR there I would be thrilled but still would have said that it was not the smart move and I would have PH for him.

3. If Helms or Branyan put in the hit and they failed to score the run, and we lost 5-4 in extra innings I would have been pissed that they didnt score the run, but would have agreed with the call.

I oretty much agree with HOFFY. I think the effort was there, but a pretty flat perfromance (Ben Sheets aside, and I actually think Doug Davis pitched hard last night). The point I especially agree with and have made before...

Quote:
But they are so weak kneed they cannot even stomach themselves to try to stay there.

Not ready for prime time.

Well put guys. Yost can not spin this and claim Cardinals, Cardinals, Cardinals....this was a depleted bunch that played with more urgency than we did...maybe we pressed too much...whatever happened it is clear we are just a .500 team or slightly below. I said this before, I don't blame Yost, but on the other side I believe Larussa did a great job...I think he psyched us out a bit with weak lineups and a rookie pitcher. He was managing hard as hell while acting like ho-hum this is no big series.

Those lineups weren't that weak. Any lineup that has the names "Edmonds" and "Pujols" in it are tough to deem as weak. Reyes is a stud prospect for a reason - he's good. Suppan always kills the Brewers, I was expecting to lose this one. I wouldn't say they were "psyched" out - they were "talented" out.

So, the question on everyone's mind..if Sheets gets up will Yost

A. Let him swing?

B. Bunt him

C. Pinch hit for him.

Get your suggestions in now so you cant be accused of secong guessing when Ned calls for the squeeze down 3-1 with one out..

Quote:
They are going to win roughly as many as they lose. However, when they start to lose less for a few weeks, it gets tough to take the losses.
That's it in a nutshell. They tease us with stretches of winning. But, if we just take a realistic approach to the talent and maturity on this roster, then the emotional roller coaster would be evened out a bit. This team is not that good. They can get beat by anyone at any time. Get used to it. Wildcard talk just sets you up for more disappointment, because realistically... this is not a playoff team --- YET.

Quote:
I said this before, I don't blame Yost, but on the other side I believe Larussa did a great job...I think he psyched us out a bit with weak lineups and a rookie pitcher. He was managing hard as hell while acting like ho-hum this is no big series.

I disagree. Their players played good - especially the pitchers. Ours didn't becaue I don't care how many time people try to claim this was some sort of AAA line-up, their players are better than ours - especially the pitchers.

brett I disagree, they were, in mind, weak lineups. Pujols and Edmonds only played in ONE game together in this series. I notice you only mentioned two players. So you can add any players to Pujols and it automatically isn't weak. Larussa basically told Yost and Co. we can beat you with any lineup...and they did. Reyes is good and yes suppan owns us, but my god these excuses just go on and on....I'm just frustrated and looking for answers.

Quote:
Those lineups weren't that weak. Any lineup that has the names "Edmonds" and "Pujols" in it are tough to deem as weak. Reyes is a stud prospect for a reason - he's good. Suppan always kills the Brewers, I was expecting to lose this one. I wouldn't say they were "psyched" out - they were "talented" out.

The only lineup that had Edmonds and Pujols in it was Monday's.

Let's compare the average lineup for the series. Who would you rather have heading into the series?

1. Eckstein vs. Clark = CLARK

2. Rodriguez vs. Weeks = WEEKS

3. Pujols/Edmonds vs Overbay = Pujols/Edmonds

4. Taguchi vs. Lee = Lee

5. Luna vs. Jenkins = Jenkins

6. Nunez vs. Hall/Branyan = Hall/Branyan

7. Mahoney vs. Miller = Miller

8. Seabol vs. Hardy = PUSH

Pitching

Morris vs. Santos = MORRIS

Reyes vs Davis = DAVIS

Suppan vs. Sheets = SHEETS

Am I wrong, or for the most part were the players we put out there more talented than the players they did?

If I am wrong, just show me.

Why is Hall consistantly stealing playing time over Branyan at 3B? Hall is not a 3B, defensively or offensively.

Because there's such a thing as too much of a good thing? I mean, who can stand staring at that lineup card and seeing a .900 OPS penciled into the lineup every single day? And good defense? It's too much to handle!

Quote:
Jeff Suppan is basically the right-handed Doug Davis. No shame in being beat by him. He's done it to teams for a long time.

Ralph, I thought you would know better.

Jeff Suppan, Career = 88-92 4.77 ERA

Jeff Suppan, 2005 minus the starts vs. Brewers = 8-8 4.71 ERA.

He isnt very good.

Archived