ThePurpleStorm

Jeff Suppan, RHP (10-8, 4.34)

http://images.sportsnetwork.com/baseball/mlb/allsport/stlouis/suppan_jeff3.jpg

vs.

Ben Sheets, RHP (8-7, 3.10)

http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/sports/040517/sheets.jpg

Sportsline.com Preview

MLB.com Preview

Big Ben Sheets will have to be out "stopper" again today as he has been so many times for us. Although it may be a tall order, we need a stellar effort again today for Sheets. Something like 8 innings, 1 run, 10 K's. It's important that we perform well today to salvage the series and get a bit of positive momentum going into the Cincy series. Unfortunately, Suppan has had our number this year. He is 2-0 with a 2.33 ERA in 19.1 innings. Let's hope we buck the trend and pull out a much needed victory.

GO CREW!

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I give the people in charge a lot of credit. ... It's about the players, but you've got to have somebody to show them the way, and I think from the front office on down to Ned [Yost, Brewers manager] and the coaches, [they're doing a good job]. They're getting better and better." -- Cardinals manager Tony La Russa, on the Brewers

Quote:
'Giant Killer' Suppan Set to Slay Sheets

Once again, things will line up for the Cardinals' "giant killer" to go up against one of the National League's elite hurlers. Jeff Suppan will face Ben Sheets for the second time this year on Wednesday, and he'll be looking to reprise one of his best games of the season while also trying to close out a sweep.

Suppan, who has taken the mound opposite Carlos Zambrano, John Smoltz, Roy Halladay and A.J. Burnett as well as Sheets this year, pitched eight shutout innings against Sheets and the Brewers at Miller Park in mid-April. He'll be working with an extra day of rest, thanks to rookie Anthony Reyes' spot start on Tuesday.

Sheets is rarely roughed up by the Cardinals, but he just can't seem to beat them. In his previous meeting with Suppan and the Redbirds, Sheets committed a pair of errors that helped lead to a 3-0 St. Louis win, but his pitching was strong as usual. Sheets' fastball-curveball combination can be absolutely devastating, and the fact that he hasn't beaten the Redbirds much doesn't mean it will be easy for them.

Wednesday's game starts a run of four straight afternoon starts for the Cardinals. They head down to Chicago on Thursday afternoon to begin a four-game series at Wrigley Field.

Pitching matchup:

STL: RHP Jeff Suppan

? 10-8, 4.34 ERA in 2005

? 2-0, 2.33 ERA vs. MIL in 2005

MIL: RHP Ben Sheets

? 8-7, 3.10 ERA in 2005

? 0-2, 3.38 ERA vs. STL in 2005

The Good: I get to see the game on tv today.

The Bad: It's because I am feeling pretty sick and couldn't make it to work today.

Hopefully the Brewers will help me feel better today. Most likely will be a low scoring game, but it would be nice if Sheets is on his game today and the Brewers can finally score a bunch of runs agaisnt Suppan or just score a bunch of runs period.

I live outside the State of Wisconsin and have the MLB package, which is showing the game. One of the advantages of living outside the State and following the Brewers is that I get to see more of their games on TV.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Prediction:

Brewers win 4-2

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sp/v/mlb/teams/1/80x60/stl.gif

1 David Eckstein, SS

2 John Rodriguez, LF

3 So Taguchi, RF

4 Jim Edmonds, CF

5 Hector Luna, 2B

6 Abraham O. Nunez, 3B

7 Scott Seabol, 1B

8 Einar Diaz, C

9 Jeff Suppan, P

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sp/v/mlb/teams/1/80x60/mil.gif

1 Brady Clark, CF

2 Rickie Weeks, 2B

3 Lyle Overbay, 1B

4 Carlos Lee, LF

5 Geoff Jenkins, RF

6 Bill Hall, 3B

7 Damian Miller, C

8 J.J. Hardy, SS

9 Ben Sheets, P

What the... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/roll.gif

Since I'm in that gray area that gets no television or radio for afternoon games, I'm going to have to rely on you guys to tell me what's going on. I really hate this. I can get the Cubs game, but I can't get the Brewers. Makes a lot of sense.

1 David Eckstein, SS

2 John Rodriguez, LF

3 So Taguchi, RF

4 Jim Edmonds, CF

5 Hector Luna, 2B

6 Abraham O. Nunez, 3B

7 Scott Seabol, 1B

8 Einar Diaz, C

9 Jeff Suppan, P

Can you say "slap in the face"? Its almost like La Russa is saying, well, Taguchi, Nunez, Luna and Rodriguez are enough to beat these bozos anyway, lets see if we can do it without Albert.

...and this will be a close game, I guarantee it.

Archived