Brewer Fanatic

8/15/05 - Brewers(Big Ben) @ Rockies(Cook) - 8:05 pm CST

ThePurpleStorm
  • Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Were our batters at the end trying to do whatever they could to get on base, or were they just swinging away to get it over with.

You mean because they only walked once? There was only one walk in the game. You say they weren't doing "whatever they could. Pretty much you walk or get a hit. They had 9 hits. I don't see how they where trying to "get it over with." It's more a function of the result that it was their approach I think.

You might see above statement as further "proof" of mental weakness but I guess I just don't see it. Hall screwed up and they just didn't score.

Just got home from Coors (live an hour or so North of the city). Beautiful night for baseball and after Sheets struck out six in the first three innings it felt like one of those nights. But chances were squandered early and then the wheels came off.

That said, I get to see the Brewers in person once a year: seeing Weeks wag that bat live was a thrill in itself, the echo of the crowd's "Ooooooo" when Overbay was up told me I wasn't alone, though looking through the stands at the many Brewers caps I knew we were well represented, watching Turnbow stalk to his seat in the bullpen like some entitled scarecrow said more about him than any of the descriptions I've read, and then, just being at the ballpark on a Monday night, I can't think of a better way to pass the time.

Whether you realize it or not, there are a whole lot of very good players out there who could really help a team that would probably not be described as either young studs or past their prime.

Well, start naming. Who are they, where are they. You said there are a "whole lot". Seriously, the team just needs more talent and more production that will likely come with the maturation of their young players. And doesn't a guy have to play in order to gain experience? In two years Hardy, Weeks, etc. will be considered "experienced", won't they?

Quote:
Well, start naming. Who are they, where are they. You said there are a "whole lot".

You're kidding right? Here's what you do...you pick a team, you look at the roster and you look for players players that you think could help make the Brewers better. You then determine if you can sign them as a free agent (if they will be a FA) or make a trade for that player that would help improve your team.

Here are a couple examples since you don't seem to have the brainpower to figure it out...

Rafael Furcal

Marcus Giles

Johnny Estrada

Tim Hudson

Jorge Sosa

Juan Pierre

Luis Castillo

Paul loDuca

AJ Burnett

That is just two teams, do I really need to go on? Which of those guys are past their prime? Would all those guys be available? Probably not. Could some of them? Why not? Again, that is just two teams, and those are just front line players. Have you seen the Brewers "bench"? Why do you want to pretend that there is no way for the Brewers to upgrade their talent level beyond simply going with guys from the minor leagues. That will not get it done. The team is also going to have to increase payroll.

I've got news for you, if the Brewers want to improve, they are going to do it both organically (which they are in process of doing) and through acquisition to augment the homegrown talent. Bringing guys who have had success at the major league level can be an important part of that. As I said, the Brewers have one guy (Miller) who has been a contributor in a winning organization.

The FA crop is pretty weak, so in offseason trades, Doug needs to be looking for good players with some experience who can be a leader on a team of very young and talented players.

Hudson signed a long-term deal with ATL. The Brewers already have a SS, with Hardy, so Furcal doesn't make sense. Pierre isn't really very good, so I'd have no interest in him. Castillo? The Brewers have Weeks. Miller is better than Estrada. Burnett I agree with, and I've said that I'd love to see him signed in the offseason in numerous threads. I just don't think it matters all that much if they played for a "winner" or not, though.

I don't think you can discount the possibility that any player on the Brewer's roster could be traded, so you can not automatically say they have no use for any particular player. If for instance the GM of __________, called Doug Melvin and offered, Zito, Oswalt, Halladay, (insert relatively young established big time SP here), for Rickey Weeks, as good as Weeks is/going to be, you make that move in a second. Obviously that isn't likely to happen, but you just don't know what kind of deals may crop up.

I think he learned how to pitch the same way Jaret Wright did: Leo Mazzone. And Weeks won't get traded. An everyday offensive player is more valuable than a pitcher. If the team offered an entire starting staff for him, yeah I'd do it, but not for one.

Quote:
An everyday offensive player is more valuable than a pitcher.

Difference in philosophy, but you're crazy. By the time a guy like Oswalt, Carpenter, Halladay, Clemens, Pedro, etc. gets done making his starts, your team is already 15-20 games over .500.

In case you haven't noticed, baseball is all about pitching. Everyone likes Weeks a whole lot, but don't think for a second that Melvin wouldn't trade him for a guy like Hallady in a cocain heartbeat (assuming they would be willing to accept the financial consequences, which would be the only thing to stop it).

Archived