Brewer Fanatic

8/15/05 - Brewers(Big Ben) @ Rockies(Cook) - 8:05 pm CST

ThePurpleStorm
  • Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Yeah! Like Craig Counsell! Come on. They lost. Get over it.

Did I say Craig Counsell? No I didn't, but nice try putting words in my mouth to make your stupid point. What is the answer, more rookies and unproven guys who have no idea how to play at this level?

If you think there isn't a serious lack of quality experience and leadership on this team, you aren't paying attention.

If you think there isn't a serious lack of quality experience and leadership on this team, you aren't paying attention.

OK, so they need old, past their prime guys? Like the Giants? Seriously, nothing is more overrated and overvalued, not to mention expensive, than "veterans". Give me a bunch of young studs any day over some old guys.

EDIT: How about some names, though. Just wait until the World Series ends and sign the FA's off of that team, because they're "winners'?

I like it how people can still be "homers" even after these huge blowouts. I thank God that there are other people like myself in here who will take the blinders off and look at the real picture and have the guts to say it like it is. We're not Daron Sutton. We're not gonna be like him and make up excuses about the altitude and Ben Sheets standing on first too long because of his base hit and then had to come out and pitch....that's BS!

People have to realize is that being a good baseball fan is all about questioning your organization and the players/manager who make the team function day in and day out. Mediocrity sets in and becomes acceptable when we have people like those in these message boards making up excuses for the team and Sheets and saying stuff that makes losing Ok. Let me tell you something....I know I'm not the only one who thinks it is NOT OK.

To all who are having emotional heartattacks:

These Brewers are not that good. They will finish around .500 which is alot better than many predicted at the start of the season. I've come to accept the fact that there is not going to be any magical playoff run this year. Acceptance is the first step. I find myself alot happier than when I was living and dying with every game.

Quote:
They quit.They are stupid.They have no pride.They have no heart.They werent prepared.They quit.Bla bla bla bla bla

That's easy, because those things cannot be quantified, and therefore all you have to do is make the argument without having to provide any evidence to support it.

I don't think they quit, nor do I think they didn't play hard. I think their pitcher had his head handed to him and the game was over in the 6th inning. Ben didn't give up, Ben couldn't get anybody out. Offensively, I don't think this team is suffering from a lack of effort. If anything, I think they are guilty of trying to do more than they are capable of far too often.

They are guilty of mental errors as well as physical errors - especially the younger players, but a lack of effort is not something I would generally accuse this team of. Lack of experienced talent on the other hand? Lack of pitching? Those are entirely different stories.

A fairweather fan is someone who only roots for a team when they are winning and abandons them when they stink.

Case in point: the Chicago Cubs.

For many years they were horrible and no one cared about them. Now that they've gotten good over the last few years, everyone wants to be at Wrigley and be seen there.

If you're trying to imply that I'm a fairweather fan....then you're wrong. I still watch every game. I still suffer through the losses with hopes of winning seasons in the near future. I just won't kid myself into thinking this team is full of talent and on the verge....as many of the people in here think they are. I'm realistic...average players like Branyan and Hall play a huge role on our team....I know that winning teams don't have players like this that they rely on.

By calling me out individually, I guess that tells me that you are the definition of what I wrote in my last post.

So asking for clarification means he is one? Mindreader.

The sniping is getting unbearable.

Quote:
OK, so they need old, past their prime guys? Like the Giants? Seriously, nothing is more overrated and overvalued, not to mention expensive, than "veterans". Give me a bunch of young studs any day over some old guys.

And your lack of reading comprehension rears its ugly head again. Who said anything about old, past their prime, Giants? Who said you needed a roster full of them.

Let me spell it out for you...I would like to see a couple guys to augment the roster. Fill in some of the holes around the young studs to put a more complete team together. There are dozens of guys that could fit that description.

The experience on the current team consists of Jenkins, Lee, and Damien Miller. One guy who is past his prime, and two guys who have never really accomplshed anything. Whether you realize it or not, there are a whole lot of very good players out there who could really help a team that would probably not be described as either young studs or past their prime.

Not even close.

I'm just sick of fair weather fans who sit and complain about the Brewers and say how much they stink right now and then jump right on the bandwagon as soon as they get better. Most of the same people who were going crazy over the Brewers mid-July are now bashing them. It's amazing. I guess it should be expected though. The point is, keep a level head about the whole thing and have realistic expectations of the plans Mark A. has set for this team. We are actually AHEAD of schedule. He wanted us to be playoff contenders by 2007. Well, we'll come up short, but we made it interesting for 75% of the season. That is more than any of us asked after last year. We will finish .500 this year and finishing close to .500 was the plan.

You can't honestly be so disappointed in this team...look at what we have!

No one would have expected Hall, Clark, or our rotation to be this good. No one expected Weeks to be up already because he forced our hand. No one expected Fielder or Hart to tear up AAA like they have. And Lee is having a pretty career average season minus a little BA.

So there are A LOT of positives to look at with this season.

Quote:
I'm just sick of fair weather fans who sit and complain about the Brewers and say how much they stink right now and then jump right on the bandwagon as soon as they get better.

I am far from being a fair weather fan with this team...there is a definately a lot of die hard fans on this board that think/know we should be winning games we've lost. We've also pulled out a few where we shouldn't have. It's so frustrating to see this team do remarkable things one day, and then look terrible the next. It's depressing to watch this team beat the crap out of the Nationals, and then see our ace give up 10 runs to the Rockies. I'd say most anyone that posts on here has a right to be upset because of this team and their inconsistencies. I hardly believe that majority of the people on here are fair weather fans.

If there are fair weather Brewer fans, then so be it, it's not like we're the Red Sox. If people wanna get hyped up about Milwaukee baseball, let em. They'll help fill the seats, and wether they know what they are talking about or not, I can't remember the last time so many people have been excited about Brewers baseball.

A few weeks ago I was at Leff's Lucky Town and the whole place was goin crazy about the Crew. I've watched plenty of games there, and been there many weekend nights, and that Mets game that we lost was the loudest the place had ever been. Even though we lost that game, I felt Brewermania was coming around, and it ruled. If people wanna support the Brewers let em! Milwaukee shouldn't take a franchise for granted, but, I'd much rather see people be fair weathered to a home team then caring more about say Cleveland.

First of all, I never said most of the people here are fair weather fans.

And your frustrations seeing a team play so well against good teams and then lay a turd against bad teams is a natural progression teams go through when they stink and start becoming a good team. Don't forget that we have gotten younger too. So there are natural growing pains.

I mean, before this season we had goals for this team, and anyone who said that we should would go 88-74 is lying. With our remaining schedule going 82-80 is difinitely obtainable. And that would be better tha most would have given us. So look at where you put us before the season started and measure it from there and not from where our best case scenario could have been.

You guys SAW the game.

Were our batters at the end trying to do whatever they could to get on base, or were they just swinging away to get it over with.

I have given a gazillion examples throughout the year on strange happenings that are obviously mental weaknesses. And you guys just say... give proof. I gave it.

It is not an awful thing to be mentally weak. It is a big characteristic of poor teams. That is the way it is. We need to increase our mental ability along with our physical ability.

The guys here who ignore the mental side of the game are very odd guys indeed.

Archived