Brewer Fanatic

8/15/05 - Brewers(Big Ben) @ Rockies(Cook) - 8:05 pm CST

ThePurpleStorm

Ben Sheets, RHP (8-8, 3.02)

http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/sports/040517/sheets.jpg

vs.

Aaron Cook, RHP (0-1, 5.94)

http://www.baseball-photos.com/cook1.jpg

Ben Sheets has been great over his last 3 starts going 9 innings in each with a 2-1 record and a 1.33 ERA.

Cook has been pretty solid save one start against Philly(@Coors) when he gave up 7 runs in 4.1 innings. In his last two starts, he has a 2.92 ERA including one start @ Coors. The bats have to come out hot tonight. Bury the Rockies and never look back with Sheets on the mound. With many of the wc contenders playing eachother this week, the Brewers have to take care of business in Colorado.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ok, i must say.......... WHAT THE HELL??? i leave for one day and the whole roster goes nuts. Pretty much i was flabbergasted to see hart and kane davis on the roster, and then my dad told me that capellen made the roster.

I'd like to see Hart moved up a bit in the lineup today. I think he's in for a big game at Coors.

How about this.

Weeks

Hart

Overbay

Lee

Jenkins

Hall

Branyan

Miller

Or even bat him leadoff. I really hate seeing Weeks bat #1. I'd much rather see guys bat infront of him so he has a chance to drive in runs.

Quote:
In his last start, a no-decision in which he gave up three earned runs (four total) in 6 1/3 innings but had just a lone unearned run entering the seventh, he threw 71 fastballs -- 70 sinkers and one four-seam riser.

Talking about Cook.

Got this from the Crew's site. Well, looks like we're going to see alot of sinkers. Oh and regarding Hart. Has anyone said that Hart is for sure going back to AAA when Clark is ready?

2 things: Purple Storm, it has been mentined elsewhere that the thought is that Hart will be staying with the big club, and not sent back down.

Secondly, I would recommend that everyone checks out the John Curtis thread in the minor league forum...He is our A ball pitching coach, and he suffered a brain hemmorage when hit by a line drive by our prospect Alcides Escobar...Curtis has paralysis from the hemorrage over the left side of his body....while not a well-known name by most here, this is a story all Brewer fans should be cognizent of......

Quote:
2 things: Purple Storm, it has been mentined elsewhere that the thought is that Hart will be staying with the big club, and not sent back down.

Secondly, I would recommend that everyone checks out the John Curtis thread in the minor league forum...He is our A ball pitching coach, and he suffered a brain hemmorage when hit by a line drive by our prospect Alcides Escobar...Curtis has paralysis from the hemorrage over the left side of his body....while not a well-known name by most here, this is a story all Brewer fans should be cognizent of......

Good. I was under the impression that he was just up here until Clark was good to go.

That really sucks. I'll go check it out now.

Russ better start every game in Coors. He is tailor-made for that park. Same with Weeks and Jenkins. It seems that guys that can't hit the curve very well but have huge power would do very well in Coors because curves don't break and fly-balls go farther. All 3 of them should be in the lineup.

I think Hart is up to stay. Durro went down to make room for him and Clark isn?t on the DL, so once Clark is ready we don?t have to make a move (although we play with 24 in the meantime). I believe that they will keep ?Rillo in rehab until the roster expands so we don?t have to make a move when he is ready.

I admit I like Weeks at leadoff. More pop in the bat and more walks than Clark. I think Clark has started to believe he HAS to hit his way on.

Purple, yesterday's game notes quoted Yost as saying Hart will not be returning to AAA this year. I think they may just want to have 5 true OFs because Carlos, Brady and Geoff have had so few days off, they've got to start wearing down soon. (Not to mention Magruder is more of a 5th OF than a 4th... now there's a fine line...)

Hova, Hall is another fastball hitter but I'd hate to see JJ miss out on the starts at Coors. I agree, you have to like Russ for at least one bomb this series.

Since someone brought up Cirillo...

How bad was his injury? Because during batting practice on Saturday, he was out there in uniform chucking his glove at grounders on the right side of the infield. He didn't look hurt at all, and no evident brace on his hand or anything.

does "t ben Hate to pitch here because he can"t control his Curve Ball?

Last year he gave up on throwing the curve in the strike zone and went with just the two fastballs and change and did well. He'll be fine.

I know you guys are waiting with anticipation for this, so:

Rluz's Prediction ------------------- Brewers Sweep 20% Brewers win 2 43% Brewers Win 1 30% Brewers Swept 7% 

With Sheets going tonight, I would hope our chances are considerably better than what the above numbers indicate.

EDIT: Those numbers DID have to be flipped http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

We are going to see alot of fastball from Sheets tonight. Maybe he should dust off that changeup a bit too.

Agreed. Benny's curveball seems to hang too much in the thin Coors air.

Has anyone said that Hart is for sure going back to AAA when Clark is ready?

As others have posted, Yost indicated that he expects Corey to stay. So, my question is, when Clark comes back does Magruder get DFA'd or does one of the relievers get sent back down until September?

Here's my lineup for tonight:

Weeks 2B

Hall / Hardy SS (I keep going back and forth on that one)

Overbay 1B

Lee LF

Jenkins RF

Hart CF

Branyan 3B

Moeller C

Sheets P

Quote:
I have a hard time believing that a 57-61 team has a 63% chance of losing the series to a 44-71 team

OK, well then try this, a 26-36 road team has a 63% chance of losing the series to a 30-32 home team.

when Clark comes back does Magruder get DFA'd or does one of the relievers get sent back down until September?

Clark isn't on the dl so nothing would have to be done. Durro was sent down to make room for Corey.

rluz has on several occasions stated that his "predictions" don't take into consideration pitching matchups. The fact that Sheets is pitching in this series - I imagine - would pull those numbers towards the Brewers favor significantly over any random matchup.

If you took matchups into consideration, I bet it would be at least 50/50 chance of the Brewers winning the series. And if you take recent trends into consideration it's probably better than that (considering that the Crew has played better on the road of late).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

I'm just psyched about 9:00 game time starts Eastern time.

Tough with a family to justify missing out on the remaining summer evening daylight, or to sneak in baseball around meal time, story time (homework time once school starts), etc.

I can deal with the 8:00 starts I often get, but for someone who doesn't mind seeing midnight, three 9:00 starts is ideal.

Honestly, I don't know how you Central time folks deal with those 6:00 starts during East Coast trips.

Archived