Brewer Fanatic

8/16/05 - Brewers(Vampire) @ Rockies(Francis) - 8:05 pm CST

pogokat
  • Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thought is: we had our chance when we got to 56-56, we went 5 losses; so I think the year is pretty much done

however, if we can win tomorrow and win 3 of 4 from Houston, I will think again; but that is about a 1 in 10 chance of happening

but we have won 2 of 3, and used Ben Sheets as a mop up guy; how bizarre

... so I think the year is pretty much done

... however, if we can win tomorrow and win 3 of 4 from Houston, I will think again

It's really not going to end anytime soon, huh? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Houston 64 55 --- Washington 63 55 0.5 Phil 63 56 1.0 Florida 61 57 2.5 New York 60 58 3.5 Chicago 58 62 6.5 Milwaukee 58 62 6.5 

Many seem to still perceive that we somehow control our own destiny in the wildcard race. That couldn't be further from the truth. Beating up on Houston will only allow Washington or Phili to take the lead (they play each other in 3 games over the next 2 days; someone has to win).

I'd rather just focus on realistic goals myself, like .500

sure, I understand there is little chance now, but there was 2% chance at 56-56, but noone even was interested in canvessing that chance; heck, if we were tied with 5 times for the lead, the realists here would still say 'no chance'

anyway, I am sure the best we could hope for in 5 days is to be 4 1/2 behind THREE teams (houston/wash/phil); so let us hope for that

then you all can say 'no chance, no chance'

and I will say 'sure, there is so little chance', but let us see if we can hang within 4 or 5 games of the bunch for a little while (heck, even that will be hard)

mind you, our guys often play like they think they have no chance - maybe they are reading here and relaxing away their season

heck, if we were tied with 5 times for the lead, the realists here would still say 'no chance'

What the realists do is OBJECTIVELY assess the realistic chances of post season play, no matter what the circumstances are.

anyway, I am sure the best we could hope for in 5 days is to be 4 1/2 behind THREE teams (houston/wash/phil); so let us hope for that

Because Washington is playing Phili now and the Mets this weekend, is it even physically possible to be 4.5 back and in sole posession of 3rd place in the W.C. standings?

If the Crew takes the Astros, they are back in the wild card race.

This statement is 100% true.

Pure fantasy. If the Crew "takes" Houston in the form of winning 3 of 4, they will still have FIVE teams ahead of them and still be probably 5 games back. They'll raise their chances from .78% to about .82%

100% correct? Did I miss the sarcasm?

[ This statement is 100% true. ]

The problem here is that we're trying to define something as a fact when it's purely an opinion.

Technically, the Brewers are in the wildcard race until they are mathematically eliminated. In reality, though, we know this isn't the case. While I'm all for good conversation, this one just seems like people are spinning their wheels.

Quote:
Soooooo.... did anyone upload that little "tirade" of Ned's?

Yeah, I'd really like to see a transcript, if nothing else.. Couldn't make out much of it on the Rockies broadcast. Anyone who has anything, feel free to send it to my ezInbox thingy.

I gotta get some hardware to do video capture.. lots of cool highlights I'd like to save http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Quote:
Many seem to still perceive that we somehow control our own destiny in the wildcard race. That couldn't be further from the truth.

Thats incorrect. Milwaukee controls its destiny. Not just because they play Houston 10 times. Because they have over 40 games left and havent lost any of them yet. They control their destiny because they are still mathematically alive. Its a complete longshot but I have been saying for weeks that they are one good win streak away from being smack dab in the middle of the race. A streak of 6-8 games would put them right in the heart of the WC chase. It can still happen. It just gets harder with every loss.

Fine then they might not "control their destiny" by definition, but they control the next 40 games and as a result control how this season will unfold. What they control is the ability to go a tear and put serious pressure on teams at the top of the heap. I dont think anyone here will...

A-Be truely satisfied being 81-81 and 10 games out of the WC. That means their arent any truely heartwrenching games down the stretch.

B-Be truely disapointed if they go 84-78 and 3 games out of the WC. That would most likely mean that down the stretch the entire 162 there were still matmatical chances for Milw to pull off a miracle. I think what Brewer fans want is to have games in the last 10 of the year that have playoff implications. That would be nearly as good as making the postseason.

The point is that making the postseason is not really the idea this season. What would be most entertaining is if they can somehow make a run and have the last 10 games of the season be exciting beyond belief. Can you imagine sitting with your sweatshirt on, feeling the cool breeze, looking at the leaves beginging to turn and waiting to see if Milwaukee can put some pressure on Houston or Philly for the WC? I get goosebumps just thinking about Autumn Baseball.

There is no reason this team cant do just that.

Let's suppose yesterday's game was the begining of an improbable 10 game winning streak. If we can agree that 88 wins will be atleast what the Brewers need for the wild card, the Crew would STILL need to finish the season 21-12. They would then finish with a 88-74 record, which MIGHT be good enough to make it. So:

1. Win 9 more games in row.

2. Finish 21-12 after that.

3. Hope 88-74 is good enough.

Probably not even a big winning streak into getting back into it, unfortunetely.

Do you think anyone really cares if they win 81 games? I refuse to believe anyone really gives a crap if the Milwaukee Brewers finish .500. I think that is the worst goal in the history of sports. If thats is what keeps you glued to the tv for the games, fine, but I think you are in the vast majority.

Once again you are missing my point. I am not saying that its likely that Milwaukee MAKES the postseason, nor will most people be upset if they dont. What is reasonable and possible is that they play well enough to close the gap a few games between now and game 145. If they are within 3 games of the WC spot with 15 to play, there would be a serious buzz in the air and people would be going through the rough waiting for these games. If they are simply trying to get that elusive 81st win, the clamour will be far less.

Archived