Brewer Fanatic

8/20/05 6:05 CT- Brewers (Sheets) @ Astros (Rodriguez)

Fike85
  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ben: "I'm finishing this off".

Yost: "You're getting up there, 115 pitches"

Ben: "I said, I'm finishing this off, I've got his one"

Yost: "If you let a guy on I'm yanking ya"

Ben: "Not going to happen"

Yost: "Go get 'em"

GAME OVER.

He's the ace for a reason.

That slump is reaching 6 weeks, which is unacceptable.

Repeat...dude is hurt. And while hurt he's still giving us more than Spivey did. I like the fact that he's playing through it and not complaining or using as an excuse. Just imagine how good he'll feel up there when this thumb injury is healed.

Sorry, but Sheets three game streak of 9 inning games he pitched 120+ every time, to follow it up with two 98 pitch performances that we lost, I hate it when pitchers get over 110. Its hard on them.

Pedro: "I'm finishing this off".

Grady: "You're getting up there, 115 pitches"

Pedro: "I said, I'm finishing this off, I've got his one"

Grady: "If you let a guy on I'm yanking ya"

Pedro: "Not going to happen"

Grady: "Go get 'em"

Yost: He's the manager for a reason.

Repeat...dude is hurt.

I was talking about Lee, actually.

EDIT: Which you discovered as well. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/happy.gif

Seriously, Lee has been slumping significantly, and it might be getting to the point where he should drop in the lineup.

I'm not arguing this point. I can certainly understand why Ben stayed in. I could also understand it if Turnbow was put in. I wouldn't have been upset either way. He's not going to need Tommy John just because he surpassed 120 pitches a couple times.

He's the ace. I'm sure he wanted to stay in to finish off his own game. It's what he's paid to do. He did his job. We won the game. I'm not going to complain. It's not like he was throwing 130-140 pitches. If he would have allowed a baserunner he would have been pulled. That's how it usually goes. Give the guy a chance to complete the game after he's pitched so well. I just don't like it when managers take a good game out of their best pitcher's hand because he is over 100 pitches.

When he's throwing well, which he clearly was tonight, Sheets is one of the best in the biz. If he was OK, leaving him in for the 9th was far and away the best plan.

A tiring, not-throwing-strikes Davis, on the other hand, should have been pulled last night. That was also the right move.

I know it's hard for some folks here to accept that Yost made two sound decisions on consecutive nights, but don't worry. I'm sure he'll do something tomorrow that is mind-bogglingly stupid. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

1. You gotta be kidding me! Another 1 pitch ab by Carlos....

2. Dear Carlos, I wish you didn't suck.

3. Carlos, I hate to say it but I am not so sure that I will be sad to see you go.

4. Anyone know how many pitches Carlos has seen total tonight? My guess is 5 or less...

From his scouting report:

He likes the first pitch, hitting .396 on it last season.

Quote:
Honestly people, why can't you just cheer on your team instead of riding the wave of a casual fan by calling out one of your best players when he's in a slump?

The guy is a good hitter. He's slumping.

Tell you what. I consider myself a true fan, and as a true fan i like to think that i have a right to be critical of my teams players when they are slumping. It's pretty obvious that Carlos Lee does not suck, but right now, he is in the process of sucking. There is a dark humor behind every bashing comment made by a Brewer fan on this site, and it comes from years of torment at the hands of these players. So if we get a little harsh or a little sarcastic some times, i feel as though we deserve to do so.

That said, we all know he will snap out of it. But until then, the psychotic brewer-crazed fans on this board will continue to throw out random put downs and negative comments. Me Included.

That said, we all know he will snap out of it. But until then, the psychotic brewer-crazed fans on this board will continue to throw out random put downs and negative comments. Me Included.

There is a difference between keeping a level head and saying "Man, Carlos has been slumping bigtime. He needs to break out of it soon." and "Carlos sucks, I hope the door doesn't hit him on his way out of Milwaukee."

In my book it's called being a fairweather fan. When the team is winning or when a player is doing good, the Brewers are or the player is so AWESOME but when the Brewers go on a losing streak or the player is in a slump the team sucks or the player SUCKS.

Just because you are frustrated doesn't mean you have to go to such an extreme. That isn't keeping a level head. There are other ways to be passionate about your team or a player on the team other than bashing them and saying they suck when they are slumping. It's different if the player is always bad or if the team is always bad...but we're talking about Carlos Lee who was our All-Star this year and is one of our best hitters and we're talking about a team that is performing better than most, if not all, on here would have predicted before the season started.

Never get too up on the ups and never get to down on the downs, that's the key.

Depends on which stats you used and where you picked them from.

If you go by year to year stats. Jenkins OPS's are by far more streaky.

If you go by month to month OPS over the last 6 years, Jenkins has twice as many 130+ pt. drops or increases over those six years than Lee.

I still don't know where you're getting this idea from. You're in the minority if you don't think Jenkins, especially over his career, is one of the most streaky players in MLB much less this team.

I agree Lee has also been VERY up and down THIS year, but over his career there isn't even a comparison. Just look at the year to year OPS's. They are much more consistent from year to year. You know you will get an OF who will hit between .830 OPS and .890 OPS every year. With Jenkins, you may get a .900 OPS or a .760 OPS.

Archived