Brewer Fanatic

8/24 Marlins (Burnett) @ Brewers (Ohka) 7:05 PM CST

burniebrewer

The Brewers look to take game 2 of the series tonight at Miller Park against red-hot AJ Burnett. Hopefully the momentum of last night's 11-2 victory will carry over into tonight for the Crew.

I started this thread early because I'll be down with a group of 8 friends today. We're hitting the track in Kenosha this afternoon and then on to tailgating. If anybody goes tonight we'll be parked at the front of the Bluemound lot. I can't imagine there will be many big groups on a Wed. night so keep an eye open for us. We shouldn't be hard to spot.

Go Crew!!

edit: put date in subject -ja002h

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, seeing that Mr. Roboto is 1-10 in his career vs. the Marlins, I will say that he is due to have their number. I predict the bizarro world pitching duel in a less-than-favorable match-up. I'll say that the Brewers win tonight, 4-3 as the rooks continue to impress with their getting on base skills and Carlos Lee improves on last night's perfomance and decides to hit again going into the last month of the season.

I noticed today and yesterday's IGT don't have any date on them. That's a helpful thing to remember any future thread starters.

Oops. My fault about yesterday, it slipped my mind. I'll change the title if it has not yet been archived.

But then again as far as dates: Yesterday had no date, and we won 11-2 and batted around twice in one game, so maybe ...ahh. nevermind...

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Please notice that Brian has gone back to the old chat room for the remainder of the season.

Once folks enter the chat room (link above the forums), it will once again show the number of active users currently in chat. There is a maximum of 25 at any one time.

While it can be used anytime, it should prove very helpful in providing an alternative to posting every single thought in what is becoming a problem with ungangly game threads.

Chat allows you to still make your off-the-cuff spontaneous game comments, and you can also click on user names to make specific discussions one-on-one if you wish.

We're going to promote the chat room in the In-Game Threads daily, so get used to it.

Hopefully the in-game threads will become a place where more insightful and detailed posts of analysis of in-game strategy, etc., can be made. Then the IGT will be a beneficial thread for those who may have missed the game and want to review it "as it happened", and less of a policing effort by the moderators.

It's been a couple of years since the chat room was "jumping" for in-game commentary. It can be a blast, please no cuss words, and enjoy yourselves. Jump in tonight before it maxes out, and enjoy!

Tonight could be a very big game. Considering the seemingly unfavorable pitching match-up, you'd have to predict a loss. If they get a win however, this one could truly be a lynch pin game for the rest of the season. A win puts them at least in position to get a swep they desperately need on this homestand. If they want to be in the thick of things and continue to play meaningful games for another month or so (they aren't going to win the WC), simply winning series won't cut it. They have got to get a sweep or two in the next week+. They need to win 9 or 10 out of 12, or 5-6 in a row, to get themselved back into reasonable strinking distance for September.

A loss wouldn't change what is needed, but winning one you pretty much expect to be a loss, could be a very very big deal.

I get the biggest kick out of how 'struggle' is defined for Lyle Overbay. About the only time I post anymore is when I see this junk. Start Prince because Lyle struggled...last night!?!? Over the last 10 games he is 11-39 or .282, so he is batting his...average. In the last 4 games he has 3 multi-hit games. Why are we so negative toward Lyle when he has done so much for our team? Is it a function of our long term failure as an organization that when someone does well we can't honor him we can only look to the next better thing hoping that that will be the one piece that will get us over the hump to be a winner? We can thank Doug Melvin for what he has done and look at him, correctly i think, as a great GM. Can't we do the same for the players like Overbay who has been one of the team leaders for our resurgance? Last year Lyle had a hot first half and struggled the second half and the Brewers mirrored him. This year he is sticking around and being productive over the second half and guess what, so are the Brewers. I know there are more factors to success and failure for both years but come on, give the man some respect.

Helms is 3-7 with a homer career against Burnett. Does he start over Overbay or Branyan tonight?

Branyan has never faced Burnett and Overbay is 0-6.

I'm not saying that I would start him, but nobody else has good numbers against AJ.

Since I have access to these, i thought I would share some

Notes From the Game Notes:

Quote:
LAST TIME OUT: The Brewers bats went to work last night as the Crew topped the Marlins 11-2 at Miller Park to kick off the 12-game homestand . . . Milwaukee batted around the order in the fourth inning, scoring six runs on five hits . . . the Brewers also batted around the order in the seventh when they scored fouer runs on four hits . . . Rickie Weeks went 3-3 with two RBI . . . Corey Hart, Carlos Lee, Bill Hall and J.J. Hardy all had multi-hit nights for Milwaukee . . . Chris Capuano picked up his 14th win of the season as he allowed two runs on eight hits in eight innings . . . it also marked the second straight start that he struck out eight batters . . . Capuano extended his hitting streak to two games with a single in the third.

REHABBIN?: Infielder Jeff Cirillo did not play in last night?s Nashville Sounds game as he continues his rehab assignment with the Triple A club . . . on Sunday, Jeff went 1-3 with an RBI as the designated hitter for the Sounds . . . in four games with Nashville, Cirillo is batting .273 (3-11) with three runs batted in.

LEFTIES DO IT THE RIGHT WAY: Last night, Brewers southpaw Chris Capuano won his 14th game of the season . . . only 11 times in team history has a Brewers lefty won 14 or more games in a season . . . the last lefty to win 14 or more games was Teddy Higuera who went 16-9 in 1988 for the Crew . . . the most wins by a Brewer lefty in team history is 22 set by Mike Caldwell in 1978 . . . Capuano also recorded his 11th pickoff of the season last night when he picked off Randy Messenger in the sixth inning.

WIN NO. 200 ON THE HORIZON: Brewers skipper Ned Yost won his 197th career game last night . . . when Ned reaches 200 wins, he will become the fifth manager in team history to win 200 games with the Brewers . . . Yost stands 197-252 since taking over the Brewers before the start of the 2003 season . . . the all-time winningest manager in Brewers history is Phil Garner who went 563-617 from 1992-99 . . . Yost?s winning percentage of .439 stands eighth among Brewers managers . . . the Brewers

have had 14 managers in team history . . . Yost is 7-13 all-time against the Marlins . . . when Yost wins his 204th career game (the Brewers 69th win of this season), it will mark his winningest season as Brewers manager . . . his 68 wins in 2003 are currently his career-high.

SERIES-LY SPEAKING: In 40 completed series, the Brewers are 17-18-5 . . . at home, the Brewers stand 10-6-2 in 18 completed series . . . since the All-Star Break, the Brewers have won five series, lost three and split three four-game series? . . . Milwaukee has won each of their last three series on the road but has dropped its last two series at Miller Park.

COMPARATIVELY SPEAKING: The Brewers need four wins to match their total from 2004 at Miller Park . . . last season, Milwaukee posted a 36-45 mark at home . . . the Brewers have 24 games remaining on the home schedule and stand seven games over .500 at Miller Park . . . the last Brewers squad to finish the season with a home record on the plus side was the 2000 squad which closed out County Stadium with a winning record going 42-39 . . . 36 marks the most victories in a season in Milwaukee since Miller Park opened.

TURNING THINGS AROUND: Since July 5, Geoff Jenkins has been on an offensive tear . . . he is batting .365 (58-159) with 27 extra-base hits and 35 runs batted in . . . his average paces the Major League during that time span . . . also during that time span, his 27 extra-base hits rank first in the Majors and his 17 doubles are second.

MOVING ON UP: Geoff Jenkins has 166 career homers . . . his home run Saturday night moved him into sole possession of sixth on Milwaukee?s All-Time Home Run list . . . Jenks needs just four more homers to crack the top five home run hitters in Brewers history . . . Robin Yount holds the Brewers franchise record with 251 career homers . . .

All-Time Home Run Leaders

Milwaukee Brewers History

251 Robin Yount

208 Gorman Thomas

201 Cecil Cooper

176 Ben Oglivie

169 Greg Vaughn

166 Geoff Jenkins

165 Jeromy Burnitz.

AFTER THE BREAK: Milwaukee is 20-18 after the break in ?05 . . . Milwaukee posted its 20th win in the 38th secondhalf contest this season . . . last season it took the Brewers 71 games reach their 20th win after the All-Star break (they won their 20th second-half contest on September 29 at Arizona in the club?s 71st game after the break and didn?t win number 21 until September 30 at Arizona, their 72nd game after the All-Star break) . . . last season, Milwaukee went 22-53 in the second half . . . the 22-53 mark was the second worst in the Majors . . . it marked the lowest winning

percentage by the Brewers in club history . . . Milwaukee?s best second half came in 1987 when the club went 49-28 . . . the last Brewers club to finish the second half above .500 was the 1992 squad when it posted a 47-29 mark.

ABOUT THE BREWERS 62-64 RECORD

Lead after 7: 46-5

Trail after 7: 6-48

Lead after 8: 49-2

Trail after 8: 3-52

Tied after 7: 10-11

Tied after 8: 10-10

Scored 4 runs or more: 53-20

Score 3 runs or less: 9-44

Out-hit Opponents: 41-15

Out-hit by Opponents: 9-43

Score first: 40-24

Equal hits: 12-6

Home Record: 32-25

Road Record: 30-39

This Homestand: 1-0

Last Road Trip: 4-3

April Record: 10-13

Hit a Home Run: 47-39

May Record: 14-14

Hit Multiple Home Runs: 25-15

June Record: 12-15

4 or less walks allowed: 43-39

July Record: 16-12

Starter with 6 or more IP: 45-38

August Record: 10-10

Come-from-behind wins: 27

September/October Record: 0-0

Last at bat wins: 17

Infield hits: 60

Walk-off wins: 5

Commit one error: 21-24

Commit multiple errors: 8-12

Extra-Inning Games: 3-5

1-Run games: 16-17

Vs National League: 54-57

Vs American League: 8-7

Two-out RBI: 193 Before the Break: 42-46

After the Break: 20-18

Roof/Panels Closed: 10-9

Roof/Panels Open: 19-16

Roof Open/Panels Closed: 0-0

Roof Closed/Panels Open: 3-0

not in the game notes . . .

Here's the branyan section . . .

Quote:

Russell BRANYAN (#31)

2005 Season - .262, 11 HR, 29 RBI

Last Series (HOU): 0-4

Current Hitting Streak: 0 for last 7

Last Road Trip: 3-10, .300, 1 RBI

Last Homestand: 0-5

- Did not play last night . . . hitless Friday night going 0-2 . . . all three of his hits on the recently completed road trip came in the first game on August 15 at Colorado.

- Matched a career-high with three hits August 15 at Colorado . . . marked the second time this season (also collected three hits on July 5 at Florida) and 18th time in his career that Branyan recorded three hits . . . finished 3-4 on the day.

- Has hit safely in just one of his last eight games . . . hitting .176 (3-17) during that stretch.

- Russell hit .313 (15-48) in July with three homers and seven RBI.

- Batting .280 (21-75) with five roundtrippers and 12 runs batted in since coming off the disabled list.

- On the disabled list June 2-July 4 with a fractured middle finger on his left hand.

- Hit a pair of two-run homers April 11 vs Pittsburgh . . . was his first multi-home run game since August 13, 2004 vs. Florida.

- 21 of his 45 hits this season have been for extra bases (10 doubles, 11 homers).

- Had the first sacrifice bunt of his professional career on April 8 at Chicago . . . went 4,444 plate appearances without a sac bunt.

Lineups:

Florida Milwaukee ------- --------- Pos Player HR RBI AVG. Pos Player HR RBI AVG. --- ------ -- --- ---- --- ------ -- --- ---- CF Pierre, Juan 2 34 .260 2B Weeks, Rickie 11 30 .256 2B Castillo, Luis 3 27 .304 CF Hart, Corey 1 4 .250 LF Cabrera, Miguel 27 88 .336 1B Overbay, Lyle 16 61 .281 1B Delgado, Carlos 24 85 .295 LF Lee, Carlos 28 94 .262 RF Conine, Jeff 2 20 .307 RF Jenkins, Geoff 17 63 .291 C Lo Duca, Paul 4 48 .302 3B Hall, Bill 15 52 .270 3B Lowell, Mike 6 52 .232 C Miller, Damian 7 36 .255 SS Gonzalez, Alex 5 45 .271 SS Hardy, JJ 3 29 .207 P Burnett, AJ (12-6, 2.90) P Ohka, Tomo (8-7, 3.78) 

Today's question to ponder: At the end of the year, will Rickie have more HR than Jenkins?

He already does if you figure in his AAA stats. I don't think he will have more than Jenkins does at the end of the season, I think Jenkins will likely end at 23 and that Weeks will be around 19 or 20 (31 or 32 with his AAA added).

Archived