Brewer Fanatic

8/27 Braves (Smoltz) vs. Brewers (Helling) 6:05 Uecker Night

SheetsCyYoung04

If JDLR is hurt, this move makes sense because they need someone to pitch at least one inning before handing it to Capellan. If not, then this doesn't make any sense at all... I have to imagine that (a) Ohka is not nearly 100% effective working out of the bullpen like this and (b) Ohka won't be at his best in his next start because of this outing.

If Jorge is available/fine, then this doesn't make any sense at all.

EDIT: Yes, that was a horrible paragraph-plus. I just wanted to make sure everyone was clear on my point. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

~Bill

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, if the idea was to use our best, most experienced arms in the pen, that sure has worked out great. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

6 runners have come in to score off the pen tonight. Totally unacceptable.

To add to the crazyness, I'd just like to point out that Kane Davis threw 9 pitches on Thursday, and 3 yesterday, so I'd be shocked if he wasn't available tonight as well.

Seems like total crazyness out of the dugout tonight.

Or maybe drawing names out of a hat to make things exciting. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

With all due respect to Ueck, I'm not sure it would have been worth the nesting dolls to watch this in person. (from what I've gleaned from just now catching up on the thread)

I'll add my "whaa??" to the pitching choices tonight, but all the speculation in my mind has already been repeated before.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Seems like total crazyness out of the dugout tonight.

Yeah... it seems like Yost just doesn't have any confidence in KDavis or Jorge. In a game like this, he just has to bite his lip and hand one/both of them the ball instead of messing with Ohka's routine. Tomo has been awesome lately and this can't be good for him... I know that color commentators always say that this was his "throw day" and so it's fine, but pitching in a game is a lot different than pitching to Marcus Hanel in the bullpen. If relieving on your throw day was no big deal, every team would do it with their good starters.

BTW, before anyone goes off on me for being "anti-Yost," please put down your mouse and step away from the keyboard. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

~Bill

Ugh. Ned and company really didn't acquit themselves real well tonight.

DARON AND BILL: PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THE GAME. NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR MAN-CRUSH ON THE REDS BASEBALL HEAD GUY. SHUT UP ALREADY, OR GO BROADCAST SOME OTHER TEAM'S GAME IF THAT MAKES YOU SO HAPPY.

It's fine if they do it in a segment, but stop detracting from the game with lame "bits"!

~Bill

But on a team that struggles like mad to score runs and get hits with runners in scoring position, why would you take the bat out of the hand of the guy that has the highest average on the team?

Not to belabor the point, but you have the best bunter on the team hitting against a guy who doesn't give up many runs with 2 non-above average runners on the basepaths. Would I rather see Clark try to get a hit or Weeks try to hit a flyball? I'll go with Weeks on that one. Does it matter now? No, thanks to the odd bullpen handling (yes, Lehr does make a difference), but to me, that's as clear a bunting situation as it gets, textbook.

Not bad at all for Jorge... he couldn't throw his curve for a strike so he relied much more on his fastball. He was consistently at 96mph on the FSN gun and he was being aggressive. Francouer's hit was an infield nubber; only Kelly Johnson made solid contact, lining over J.J. at shortstop.

No walks, although he did go to three ball counts a couple times. I definitely think that this is another outing to build on.

Let's just hope he gets to pitch again sometime soon.

~Bill

The two walks were not good, but Jorge escaped. He made Andruw Jones look foolish in both at-bats... that's something to be proud of, no?

The team needs to focus on the positives with JDLR... keep using him, keep emphasizing what he's doing well, and get his confidence up. If he's got faith in his stuff, the control problems will take care of themselves (at least to the extent that they aren't debilitating).

In any case, I was impressed with how Jorge came back from the walks (and a few borderline ball/strike calls). Still not "there", but he sure flashes brilliance, doesn't he?

~Bill

Can Fielder please get a start tomorow? The more I watch Lyle, the more unimpressed I become. When is the last time he even hit a ball hard? He is not the same hitter he was last year. I am not sure what changed but the time for Fielder to see what he can do has got to be SOON.

I totally agree Scoop enough of Having Prince ride the Bench.

Get him a start tommorow.

Let get JDLR some starts and see what he can do,he young and needs to gain some coinfedence.

I agree Heling and Santos should be in the pen and let go after that last game of the season

Man, what a demoralizing day.

This game was a drag, but if you want to talk demoralizing, that was Friday, in the end.

If I were Cappy (the elder), I'd *really* try to focus on staying strong as long as possible on Sunday.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Man, what a demoralizing day.

This always seems to be the case when we draw big crowds.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Just got back from the game. And let me say this Helling experiment may have been the worse idea since Danny Manning. He was terrible in AAA he was even worse here. This start could have been alot worse. Several balls to the warning track. His velocity never got above 89 on the Miller Park juiced guns and was routinely at 84. It was just a terrible idea. Anyway I still say Dana needs to start next year in AAA. Jorge control was terrible again tonight, but that can be expected when you have pitched as infrueqently as he has. If he gets in the rotation his control will get better. Santos better not get his spot back. Obie and Glover would be much better options. I would like to see Hendrickson but at this point I am not sure how much better he would be.

Archived