Brewer Fanatic

9/1/05 Padres(Eaton) @ Brewers(Helling) 7:05CDT

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually support Yost, and I stlll think he is a good coach. But this lineup is complete horse _____.(fill in the blank)

Hardy should be starting, with the way he's been hitting lately, this is a slap in the face.

After his heroics the other day, Prince deserves to be starting. Even if he hadn't won the game for us I'd want to see him start.

Rick Helling should not be starting. There are many players in our future plans who would benefit from a spot start. Rich Helling is not a part of the Brewers future. I'd rather see JDLR, Lehr, Sarfate, Hendrickson, Eveland, and maybe even Obie before Helling.

Quote:
I usually support Yost, and I stlll think he is a good coach. But this lineup is complete horse _____.(fill in the blank)
Quote:
What kind of language is allowed?

The Brewerfan.net Fan Forums try to be a bit more civil than other venues. All of the main cuss-words are filtered out. If you see that a word you used is filtered out, please try to refrain from using that word again. Also, using creative spellings to avoid the cuss filter will result in warning, then dismissal. Bottom line, if you'd be uncomfortable talking to your neighbor's 10-year-old with the type of language you're going to use here, you should probably re-word your post.

You look new here, so here's some informative reading, Gifted.

I've said it over and over for the last year and a half. Ned Yost is NOT the manager of the future for this team. He was a good manager to keep heads up during the rough times...but we need a manager that knows how to use a bullpen and his bench players. He seems to have a little Dusty Baker in him.

There is absolutely NO excuse for Prince not starting 2 times per week. There is absolutely NO excuse for JJ Hardy not starting every game at SS. There is NO excuse for bums like Helling, Santos, and Oby to be making starts when we have Eveland, Capellan, Lehr, and Sarfate all waiting their turns to show what they have in that role. Heck, I'd even rather see JDLR start and throw 100 pitches in 4 innings than see those guys out there. Give the kids some alternating starts for Heaven's sake. Yost just doesn't use his noodle sometimes.

I have no idea why everyone is so surprised and/or outraged. This team's goal hasn't changed from day one...finsh at or above .500 and bring some of the younger guys along to prepare for the future. Its a two part thing. One could certainly try to argue that playing the younger guys gives you a better shot at both, and I would give some credence to that argument, but it is a different argument.

You have to understand something else, the overwhelming majority of people in the Brewers' target market have probably never heard of brewerfan.net. The Brewers have already got you and me. Finishing this year with a winning record will do more to generate excitement and interest for next year among the casual fans who buy tickets, than letting a couple rookies go through their ups and downs for a month.

All and all I think they have done a fine job of getting some of these guys ready for next year. Weeks and Hardy especially. Weeks plays every day and Hardy plays regularly. Hart doesn't have a position, Where's he gonna play? I'm sorry, you can't let him out there in front of any of the starting OF'ers. As for Fielder, I don't think many have considered the possibility that Doug and Ned feel he may not need the AB's - that he is fine as a hitter already and will be ready to go next year. Maybe that's true, maybe it isn't. His problem is defense, and while a little time could help, I'm not sure how much. It'd be nice to have that bat in the line-up, but they do also have to consider having to trade Lyle and having him out there playing that to beef up his numbers is the best way to do that. If you want to argue that the season is over, then maximizing Lyle's value in the off season has to be a top priority.

All this woe is us, "why can't Prince ever get a start" is pretty weak. Plyer development is important to those of us who have kept a closer eye on the team and are looking down the road, but for those who see little more than wins or losses it doesn't mean much. Breaking that losing record string and attempting to fortify the talent for next year will benefit the organization overall far more than Prince getting a couple starts.

Some here really demonstrate a fundamental lack of understanding or objectivity or both. There's only 8 positions folks. As long as Ned Yost is making out the lineup, many here will insist that in addition to Clark, Jenkins, and Lee, Prince, JJ, Hall, Weeks, Hart, Branyan all start every game. The same people who complain when Hardy doesn't start also complain when Branyan never plays. Well guess what. Hardy isn't starting tonight because Branyan is starting. All Bill Hall is doing is hitting .321 on the homestand and .295 in August. Definitely wouldn't want him in there. So if you want JJ in there, that moves Hall to 3B. Although that'd probably be fine. It'd give people a chance to rip on Ned for not playing Branyan. But wait, let me guess, Bill Hall is not part of teh Brewers future. Its really become quite pathetic.

But wait, let me guess, Bill Hall is not part of teh Brewers future. Its really become quite pathetic.

As harsh as this mybe to Billy he is not a future 3b man. He may become a Jose Hernandez-esqe shortstop with a few less k's but JJ projects to be a better player. Until Billy learns how to draw walks, he is going to have trouble convincing me he should be a starter or anything more than a platoon player. Right now, JJ projects to be better.

By the way, if you're not also watching the Packers (I am), you aren't missing anything. Offense is terrible, defense is terrible, and Favre left with an injury.

Naivin, if you were addressing me, I was just having a laugh.. I think the idea is that, a night after the rooks won the game for us, Prince and Hardy are riding the bench, and if Hardy can't get a 2nd start in a row after going 3-4, when will it happen? Your point is taken, though.

I dont think anyone would ask that Prince start every night. Although it may be better for the team. But how many starts has he had since being called up?

Do not twist our words. I can only hang my hat on what sportsline called Prince after the walkoff homer. Prince was referred to as the

'rarely used rookie'. That is an independent assessment. And pretty darn accurate.

I do not think it is good to take all the AAA players and leave that team in the lurch and then SIT the AAA all stars on the bench here.

Just plain old ODD.

Archived