Brewer Fanatic

09/03/05 Padres(Williams) V.S. Brewers(Obermueller)

Who here still thinks they'll get to .500 at 81-81 when its all said and done. With 66 wins right now, I'll say it's very unrealistic at this point. We're really not taking advantage of being at home here these last few weeks, and I can already see this team fading into oblivion the last few weeks of the season. The passion is gone. 74-75 wins tops. I'll predict that.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think we you blame Ned for not taking a strike in the 9th. You don't give the take sign in case it is a fastball right down the pipe. The hitter needs to be more disciplined.

I seem to remember posting early in the summer about he danger of using the same relievers every game. Well, upon review, Santana hurt his arm and Bottalico ran out of luck. That left Wise who also got hurt. So then we hit August and had nobody we could count on left to set up. We should have spread around some of those 6th, 7th and 8th innings.

This just in . . . Wes Obermuller sucks.

This is actually one of those issues that divides reasonable people. Some folks here believe passionately that Wes just needs more of a chance to establish himself as a starter; others of us think he has proved he can't do it.

So let's negotiate. I'd like to talk the Wes fans down to middle relief, which I think he might be good at, but I don't expect they'd accept that. So how about a number of nonquality starts? How many more ugly starts does Wes need to put up until we stop talking about him as a rotation candidate? One more? Three? Five?

Greg.

"""way to take a strike to get a runner.... great job...Yost

"""Wait, so Yost is a player-manager now? That's amazing!"""

You missed the point. No of course Yost is not the hitter. But with the correct approach, (which should have been instilled by a manager) the hitter should know that I'm to take a strike OR ELSE MY MANAGER WILL BE TICKED OFF AT ME!)..That is what I was saying in another post, that the Brewers need a manager that will light a fire under the team. Yost is NOT that guy. And then also, I believe that Drew Olson was sortof saying the same thing in his article. You wouldn't see a Cardinal player not taking a strike in the bottom of 9 with a 2-0 count down by 5. And a horrible pitch selection (down and in); it's not even like that pitch was fat. I bet you, Yost didn't even say anything to the beloved pinch hitter for it.

How many more ugly starts does Wes need to put up until we stop talking about him as a rotation candidate? One more? Three? Five?

How many more starts does he have this season. He is the best option we have for the fourth starter right now. For the rest of the season we just have to hope Wes pitches like he did in the first couple of innings and does not hit that wall he hit tonight.

Well another game I go to, another loss! The Brewers are now 4-10 when I am at Miller Park this year. I am not going to another game all season, they have a better chance to win if I watch it on TV. Horriable game Obie sucks, and Santos really sucks. Give a Hendrickson, or Glover, or Sarfate a chance.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

He is the best option we have for the fourth starter right now. For the rest of the season we just have to hope Wes pitches like he did in the first couple of innings and does not hit that wall he hit tonight.

I understand that we're short of starters, and we don't exactly have any great options. But why stick with the one option that is most clearly established as a losing proposition? Wes always hits that wall, except maybe once every five starts when he gets lucky. Here are the better options, as I see them -- in no particular order, and recognizing that we need two of these guys, not just one:

Santos: also has proved that he can't do the job -- in the second half. Maybe he comes back stronger after his recent extra rest. He has put together better, longer stretches as a starter than Obermuller has ever dreamed of.

de la Rosa: Why not? What do we have to lose? Maybe his command improves when he's able to get into a groove for more than an inning at a time.

Sarfate: See Saenz last year.

Helling: Unlike Wes, Rick has only blown one start.

Glover: A better track record as a major league starter than Obermuller.

Lehr: A complete unknown quantity as a major league starter, but he did the job at AAA, and it isn't like taking him out of relief will bring the bullpen to its knees.

I'm excluding some other conceivable candidates -- Eveland because we have to protect his arm, Hendrickson because the last thing he needs right now is another blow to his confidence, Wise because stretching a guy out after an injury isn't, um, wise.

I would try any two of those guys as starters before I resorted to Obermuller again.

Greg.

I think Wes has an option for next year. So he should start the entire year at AAA. In fact, I think AAA will be fun next year. We should have a couple of last chance guys (like Obie and Hendrickson) and a couple of first chance guys like Sarfate.

Quote:
Sarfate: See Saenz last year

Also, see Ben Hendrickson in multiple starts last year. Although I don't think Obie is a starter, I won't blame Saturday night on him. We only scored one run in a game that our first three batters reached base. Not saying per se he should start again, but I won't blame him. As long as we aren't scoring runs, we might as well put a fan out on the mound. That would be an interesting promotion.

Only if there is an age restriction is there a per person limit. If it's for anyone with a ticket, then every ticket gets a bobblehead. My mom ended up coming down with something and didn't go, but my dad used the spare ticket to get her a bobblehead. It might also have to do with which usher you ask. Some of the ushers are really awesome, some are downright jerks.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Also, see Ben Hendrickson in multiple starts last year.

Right -- I didn't mean I thought Dennis could shut 'em down; I just meant that we've seen recent precedent for bringing a guy up from AA to start, which is essentially what bringing up Dennis would entail. Sorry I wasn't clear.

As long as we aren't scoring runs, we might as well put a fan out on the mound. That would be an interesting promotion.

This is beautiful. Just beautiful.

KKK

Huh?

Greg.

Archived