Brewer Fanatic

9/6/05- Brewers (Helling) @ Reds (Harang) 6:10 CST

brewerjamie15
  • Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually it does - on that particular AB. If you are going to throw out some stuff about a WP that's garbage and you know it. That's a function of the pitcher/catcher, not the hitter.

Nobody thinks a run automatically scores simply by a ball being put in play, but if that ball is a grounder to the right side, an average fly ball, a high chopper, or a slow roller, the run scores. If the batter strikes out, it doesn't. No amount of hoping for Russ Branyan to be good can change that.

I just don't see the argument that a deep fly ball, grounder to the right side, etc. is no better than a strikeout in that situation.

Of course it's better. That's never BEEN the argument. The argument has ALWAYS been that on average a K is barely worse than a normal out. Of course after the VERY situation where K's are the worst, relative to a normal out, someone screams, "SEE K'S ARE BAD! PEOPLE ARE STUPID WHO THINKS K'S ARE GOOD! YOU GUYS ARE NUTJOB IDIOTS!"

Pardon me if I get defensive.

If anyone REALLY wants to know when K's are BAD or not so bad, look HERE:

LINK

It breaks the negative value of a K and an out into the 24 base-out situations. When the K value is larger (larger negative) a K is worse. When the regular out value is greater, it's better to K in that situation. The average:

Not K out: -.2999 Runs

K: -.31 Runs

Now how many people do you think will even bother to look at that? Not too many.

Sure overall K's aren't that much worse than normal outs. But some here have been arguing over the situations where it does matter. The thing that sparked the argument wasn't a strikeout with nobodoy on base. It was with runners on second and third with 1 out.

Quote:
I'm basically just taking offense to people who say that Branyan is worthless because he strikes out too much.

That's just one of the reasons he's worthless.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Archived