Brewer Fanatic

9/6/05- Brewers (Helling) @ Reds (Harang) 6:10 CST

brewerjamie15

Taking the mound for the Brewers will be right-hander Rick Helling, who will make his third start of the season for the club.

Helling has yet to pick up a decision this season as a starter, but in his last start he went 6 1/3 innings while giving up two runs.

Opposing Helling will be fellow right-hander Aaron Harang. Harang hasn't faced the Brewers yet this season.

Pitching matchup

MIL: RHP Rick Helling

? 1-0, 4.00 ERA in 2005

? 0-0, 0.00 ERA vs. CIN in 2005

CIN: RHP Aaron Harang

? 9-12, 3.68 ERA in 2005

? 2-1, 5.32 ERA vs. MIL in 2004

Quick hits

Carlos Lee extended his hitting streak to eight games Monday night. In that span, he's batting .333 (10-for-30). ... Dana Eveland recorded his first Major League save Monday night

Quotable

"Every time you play, some days guys have your number. That's the way baseball is. But you can't go up there defeated already before the game's even started." -- Brandon Claussen, on his approach

Player to watch

Adam Dunn. With Ken Griffey Jr. listed as day-to-day with a foot injury, Dunn moved up to the three spot in the order Monday and hit his 36th homer of the season. He's on pace to become the first player in franchise history to produce two consecutive seasons of 100 runs, 100 RBIs and 100 walks.

Player to watch

Geoff Jenkins is coming off one of his best nights of the season after tying a career high with five hits on Monday. In his career, he's batting .308 (4-for-13) with a double and a home run off Harang.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like Overbay will will start vs the righty. Yost was quoted as saying that he can get hot at any time. Personally, I'd like to se something like this...

Clark CF

Weeks 2B

Lee LF

Jenkins RF

Fielder 1B

Branyan 3B

Moeller C (I think Miller gets the night off, no?)

Hardy SS

Helling P

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

I'd rather see this.

Clark CF

Hardy SS

Jenkins RF

Lee LF

Fielder 1B

Hall 2B

Branyan 3B

Moeller/Other old timer C

Helling P

NOTE: Helling's last start I thought he'd be done by the end of the 4th. This time I see him getting chased in the 3rd. Prove me wrong again Helling.

I'd rather see this:

Clark CF

Hardy SS

Jenkins RF

Lee LF

Hall 2B

Fielder 1B

Helms 3B

Moeller C

Helling P

Branyan hasn't been healthy enough to do much for the last month so keep the hot bat of Helms in there.

Overbay may well get hot at anytime but more its more likely he will continue to struggle.

Don't underate Harang. He's been the Reds best pitcher for most of the year and last and he's got pretty decent stuff.

Quote:
There is no excuse for not starting JJ every game when he's hot

Yes, let's see JJ. That is a surprise. I don't see why he's riding the pine so much. The kid is just getting in a grove and he's solid on D.

And put me down for Prince over Lyle for now.

Helms vs 3TO is a toss-up. It may be good to let Russell heal and Wes is really swinging it. Good for him and that opening day fan debacle.

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

I am lacking a non-vulgar approach to describe my displeasure for Bill Hall playing over JJ.

Just look at the ESPN game logs for the two players from July-September. Bill Hall as I predicted WAY BACK in May would return to being...Bill Hall. A sub .730 OPS SS with substandard defense. JJ Hardy hit a .800+ OPS in July, and put up a .680 OPS in August after recieving sporadic playing time over half the month after a slow start to the month (which Bill Hall played equally bad) and bounced back to put up a respectable OPS after being under .500 for 3/4 of the month.

And I know it's been only a 1/4 of the way through September, but Bill Hall is being...Bill Hall (sub .650 OPS) and JJ is tearing it up.

This is just as bad as Magruder having a roster spot right now.

I am for Overbay because I want the best for the Brew Crew!

Overbay gets hot increases his trade value and his walk last night changed his entire mojo. He put too much pressure on himself last night knowing he has crushed Claussen in the past even though he was slumping. The walk loosened him out. He will break out tonight which will take him for a hot finish which will increase his value. That imo is what will be best for the Brewers.

Pretty lineups:
 Milwaukee Cincinnati --------- ---------- Pos Player HR RBI AVG. Pos Player HR RBI AVG. --- ------ -- --- ---- --- ------ -- --- ---- CF Clark, Brady 10 42 .307 2B Freel, Ryan 3 15 .281 2B Weeks, Rickie 12 35 .241 3B Aurilia, Rich 13 54 .265 1B Overbay, Lyle 16 64 .271 SS Lopez, Felipe 19 66 .279 LF Lee, Carlos 30 101 .268 LF Dunn, Adam 36 88 .248 RF Jenkins, Geoff 20 74 .292 1B Casey, Sean 9 53 .318 SS Hall, Bill 16 55 .271 C Valentin, Javier 12 40 .287 3B Branyan, Russell 11 29 .254 RF Kearns, Austin 13 53 .248 C Miller, Damian 7 36 .258 CF Pena, Wily Mo 16 43 .264 P Helling, Rick (1-0, 4.00) P Harang, Aaron (9-12, 3.68) 

I also would like to see Prince start. I can understand that Ned feels he should start Lyle more often than Prince. How can Bill Hall still be playing ahead of JJ. He is inferior defensively, and lately he is inferior offensively.

I should note that there's some great matchups in the games with NL Wildcard implications:

Oswalt vs Lieber

Martinez vs Smoltz

although the Valdez-Rasner matchup does little for me, and our own Helling-Harang matchup makes me feel iffy at best. I trust Helling, but Harang been one of the unsung solid pitchers the A's developed

How can Bill Hall still be playing ahead of JJ. He is inferior defensively, and lately he is inferior offensively.

it's comments like this that make me stay away from the in game thread often. It really can be annoying reading each day "how dare Ned not start (insert name)!" What always is amazing is that the game notes often mention why the player didn't start. Some here expect all of their favorites to play 162 games. Some here think all 9 starters can play each day AND others can also get their AB's, too. It was obnoxious hearing "why isn't Branyan starting" almost daily, while the game notes plainly stated he was scratched with an injury

Not to pick on anyone, but I guess I now remember why I stayed away from these threads for several months.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

JJ is playing in the AFL after the season. While I'd love to see him play everyday the rest of the year, my guess is they are trying to keep him somewhat fresh.

Even tho he hasn't played 150 games this year, he's still been active for more games this year than any other of his career. He's not going to get anything out of the AFL is he's out of gas.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Archived