Brewer Fanatic

9/7/05 11:30 CT: Brewers (Cappy) vs Redds (Milton)

mikerollins
  • Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
The pitcher that made him look foolish was Burnett, but he makes a lot of batters look foolish.

Also, Trevor Hoffman made Prince look quite childlike. Yes, I know that Burnett and Hoffman are two pretty good pitchers, but expecting Prince to come in next year and immediatly be our version of Albert Pujols is pretty ludicrous, too. I've found that, especially with this team, if you get your hopes too high, it's just setting yourself up for disappointment. I'd absolutely love to see Prince come in at hit 40 HRs with a .300 AVG next year, but stats and history say that the chances of that happening are close to nil.

AJAY, I was suggesting during spring training that when Cappy, Obermueller, and Kieschnick aren't pitching, they should be playing in minor league games to increase their versatility and work on defense, should they ever be needed (it would have allowed more flexibility in late game moves)

Ajay states:

I am thrilled that Overbay just went deep. But it still seems like he can only hit against the Reds. It would be nice if he did more damage against the rest of the league too.

Let's see what Overbay's ave is vs the remaining teams on the schedule: ave/obp

Houston: .313 /.333

Arizona: .417/.417

Houston: .313/.333

Cubs: .316/.440

Cards: .256/.326

Cin: .488/.560

Pitt: .235/.422

Just because he has had success against Cincy doesn't mean that's the only place.

he has a .231 career average.

Who cares about his AVG? He's on the team to hit for power, and that's what he does. Melvin obviously doesn't mind the K's, and the move to get Branyan may have been one of the best moves he has made. Also, why use FPCT as a defensive stat? A lot of the advanced metrics have his as an average or slightly above average defensive player, and I tend to agree with that.

Rarely do players improve during the season as much as J.J. Hardy has this year. He's making those of us that called for him to be banished to Nashville earlier this year eat quite a bit of crow. He's now hitting .230 with almost 40 RBIs, hitting 8th most of the year. Those numbers are more than what I expected coming in to the year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Milton with a whopping 75 pitches through 3 innings.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

There's something I can agree with Ralph http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/happy.gif

I'm so impressed with JJ Hardy this second half, and it makes me very excited for next year. Did anyone notice his recent hot streak is with Prince up in the majors again??

Quote:
Melvin obviously doesn't mind the K's, and the move to get Branyan may have been one of the best moves he has made.

LOL!

Doug Davis, Capuano, Turnbow, Wise, Overbay, Nelson Cruz, Carlos Lee...and you think a guy who is likely to see very limited action the rest of the season and who will probably be gone next year is one of the best moves he''s made? Take off the Branyan googles guy.

Donnelly is one of the better 3rd base coaches I've seen. He sends them whenever they'll be safe OR a perfect throw will nab them. It's too bad we have little team speed though.

Also, is there anyone who would rather have Jenkins than Dunn? Similar number of homers, yet Dunn's still 25

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I like beer and JJ Hardy.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived