Brewer Fanatic

9/7/05 11:30 CT: Brewers (Cappy) vs Redds (Milton)

mikerollins

Milwaukee Brewers Lineup Name Season/vs AVG HR RBI Brady Clark CF Season .307 10 42 vs. Reds --- 0 0 J.J. Hardy SS Season .226 5 36 vs. Reds --- 0 0 Lyle Overbay 1B Season .271 16 64 vs. Reds --- 0 0 Carlos Lee LF Season .271 30 101 vs. Reds --- 0 0 Geoff Jenkins RF Season .291 20 75 vs. Reds --- 0 0 Bill Hall 2B Season .271 16 55 vs. Reds --- 0 0 Wes Helms 3B Season .310 4 22 vs. Reds --- 0 0 Chad Moeller C Season .203 5 14 vs. Reds --- 0 0 Chris Capuano P Season .133 0 7 vs. Reds --- 0 0 Starting Pitcher Name Season/vs Wins Losses Saves ERA Chris Capuano P Season 15 9 0 3.52 vs. Reds 0 1 0 8.31 Cincinnati Reds Lineup Name Season/vs AVG HR RBI Ryan Freel LF Season .280 3 15 vs. Brewers --- 0 0 Rich Aurilia 2B Season .267 13 54 vs. Brewers .000 0 0 Felipe Lopez SS Season .280 19 67 vs. Brewers .500 0 0 Adam Dunn 1B Season .250 36 88 vs. Brewers .500 0 1 Austin Kearns RF Season .245 13 53 vs. Brewers .667 0 1 Wily Mo Pena CF Season .264 16 43 vs. Brewers --- 0 0 Jason LaRue C Season .262 11 53 vs. Brewers .667 0 1 Edwin Encarnacion 3B Season .236 5 17 vs. Brewers .500 1 1 Eric Milton P Season .160 2 4 vs. Brewers --- 0 0

I know this is going out on a limb, but I'm predicting a NO-NO from Cappy today. That's right Brewers fans...Chris Capuano will throw the 2nd No-hitter in Milwaukee Brewers history.

Enjoy the game...nice to see JJ back in the lineup and Branyan back where he belongs.

Go Crew!

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

J.J. Hardy has a better OBP than Hall does, even though his AVG is 45 points lower. Bill Hall had a good couple months early in the season. Since then he's been terrible:

Hall before the Break (261 AB): .280/.329/.517, 13 HR, 20 BB/53 K

Hall post-Break (153 AB): .255/.294/.379, 3 HR, 9 BB/35 K

Numbers are so easily manipulated. People keep saying play Branyan because of his OPS. Maybe his OPS is high because of the judicious way in which he is used? What would happen if he faced more lefties? To me, Branyan is best suited to be a bat off the bench. I don't have any numbers to back this up but it seems like the more he plays the less productive he is, as if he becomes more undisciplined the more frequently he bats.

He shouldn't play against LHP, and I don't think anyone thinks he should. I think it's great and smart that he is platooned to maximize his production. The Brewers have guys that mash LHP like Cirillo and Helms and those guys should play against southpaws.

The OPS argument as it relates to Branyan is a load of crap. Yes he can hit HR's when he manages to put a bat on a ball. He walks alot. That's true, but that has everything to do with how he is used and where he hits. He leads the team in intentional walks, yet he is 9th in AB's. 25% of his BB's are intentional because he has hit almost exclusively in the 7th spot. That doesn't even include the number of times the opponent works around him to get to guys like Hardy, Moeller or Miller. Fact is, the Brewers lineup is not good enough to hide his inability to put a bat on a ball.

So move him up in the order you say. Nope not an option, because to move someone up, you need to move someone down. Who are you gonna move down? Beyond that, if you do put him higher in teh order, he will strike out more (in place of the BB's) and those strike outs will probably be more damaging if he's in the top/middle of the order.

The guy can't play.

hi ho hi ho

its runners in scoring position, I know

its hard to see how we will score

I know, I know, I know, I know

we cannot bat when the ducks are there

I know, I know

you get the idea... let me just check the up to date RISP and not OPS batting position in the NAT

I'll get back to you on that

Seems we are 14th of the 16 teams in OPS with RISP. This 'small' sample is now up to 1,138 at bats.

Overall we are 9th. I will guesstimate we are 7th or 8th in batting with R not ISP. That is, take our our 14th place performance of the 1,138 at bats in the total of 4,660 at bats. Actually, we could even be higher with R not ISP - maybe even 6th.

So there you go. We simply consistently produce at the bottom of the ladder with RISP. Whereas, our overall talent shows us to be in the TOP HALF of the league. Based on STATS.

Amazing.

Archived