Brewer Fanatic

9/16/05 Brewers(Helling) V.S Astros(Oswalt). 7:05 CDT

Would Turnbow have been good to go for two full innings though? Remember, the Astros had runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs. Would you have pulled Eveland then? After he got two outs and the runners hadn't moved, it would have been difficult to pull him out then. To me, here's a case where hindsight is 20/20 and it's tough for me to disagree with keeping Eveland in.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i would have put in turnbow when bagwell came up. i just think that would have been a much more favorable matchup. as pointed out on the tv broadcast, bagwell had been hurt, and his bat-speed isn't much. i just feel like he couldn't have caught up to a turnbow fastball, whereas obviously he was able to catch up to eveland's. turnbow then should've been able to pitch the next inning as well had he been able to get bagwell out.

in response to the hindsight comment, i felt bringing in turnbow was the move i would have made before eveland was left in and gave up the hit (although i wasn't on my computer at that moment, and therefore have no proof of this). so it's not like my reasoning was based solely on ned's decision not working out.

again, that is just my personal philosophy on how i would have handled it. it wasn't a "no-brainer" by any means.

I definitely see where you're coming from. Its tough to lose a close game late like that with a guy waiting in the bullpen who hasn't given up a run since the beginning of August.

I'm gonna play devil's advocate for a bit. If you wanted a hard-throwing right hander to face Bagwell, could Yost have gotten the same effect by sending in Kane Davis for that at bat? That way Turnbow could have been kept for a save situation later.

if it came down to eveland or davis/lehr, i'd say leave in eveland. while those other 2 are hard-throwing righties, they have a tendancy to either walk guys or miss their spots which kind of negates the good stuff. while turnbow misses his spots at times too, he usually at least doesn't end up grooving fastballs, and he throws SO hard, that he's much more likely to get away with a mistake. kane davis and lehr are just too inconsistent.

to me, that was the most important situation that game was going to see. if you don't get bagwell out, you don't get another chance. i feel that situation was more in-need of your best pitcher than a 1 or 2 run lead to start the bottom of an inning with nobody on (save situation). therefore, i want our best guy in there. i can definitely see the logic to letting eveland try and finish working out of that jam though.

Why was Eveland in in the first place? Wise was effective and Dana is the only dependable lefty in the pen. You bring him in to face a tough lefty. Berkman switch hits and everybody else in Houston swings from the right side!

And there is no way Eveland faces Bagwell. For any reason. Why didn't they intentionally walk Bags anyway? To me, that's the best question of them all.

Seems like every big game we lose, Ned makes two or three glaring mistakes. Not questionable moves. Seriously dumb moves.

Because you need to turn Berkman around. He's human from the right side, devestating from teh left. And Lamb is a lefty. Eveland was teh right call to begin the inning. There is a question of whether to remove him after he failed, but a lefty was definately called for.

im too drunk to read things, but I woulda put Turnbow in at the beginning of the 9th...worry about the save opportunity later...they had JDLR warmin up in the pen...that is not necessary...Turnbow is the guy you want dealing out there, worry about the save later...I like Eveland, and he shoulda been used at some point in this game, but this is a team that's looking to play spoiler, and there is no reason our best reliever should be on the bench in the bottom of the 9th with a tie game

Holy cow!!!

Ok, Helling goes 7 solid innings. Wise pitches a beautiful 8th. Eveland just STRUGGLED big time in the 9th. So why did Yost leave the lefty in vs. Bagwell????!!!!!!!! Oh, this is just plain INEXCUSABLE! The bullpen was fresh. Anyone remember we won 14-2 yesterday? Kane Davis vs. Bagwell would have been more acceptable.

Anyone want to re-start the fire Yost chant? A prime chance to move w/in 4 games of the WC lead just got WASTED! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif

Quote:
Because you need to turn Berkman around. He's human from the right side, devestating from teh left. And Lamb is a lefty.

Endaround made this excellent point as to why Eveland was left in there. I also, made the point in the 9th last night that I was not crazy about bringing Turnbow in with guys already on base. He does have a tendencey to get himslef into trouble sometimes when he first gets in there.

At the same time though, you always prefer to see them beat your best, but if Ned liked the match-up enough for whatever reason and thought Eveland was going to get the job done there, so be it. Same would be true if he would have gone to Turnbow and he didn't get it done. You play for the match-ups you want and sometimes it doesn't work out.

Scoring more than one run would have probably helped as well.

Last night was ismply a case of the better team winning. Oswalt and Lidge were the story of that one. I mean the Brewers gave up 2 runs.

The problem wasn't Eveleand against Berkman. It was not bringing in a right handed pitcher to face Vizcaino who hits like Magruder from both the left and the right side. Yost should have turned Vizcaino around. He got lucky but it was still a stupid thing not to do and no decision against Bagwell would have been needed.

I thought the same thing, that Jenkins catches that if his back isn't injured. Someone mentioned that the batting order the next inning would have been Helms, Clark, Turnbow. So Turnbow only would have gone one inning anyways. I don't disagree with putting Eveland in to start the 9th, but I may have been more inclined to bring in Lehr or Kane Davis against Bagwell.

Archived