9/24/05 Cards (Mulder) @ Crew (Glover) 6:05 CST

brewerjamie15

LHP Mark Mulder

? 16-7, 3.43 ERA in 2005

? 1-0, 1.29 ERA vs. MIL in 2

MIL: RHP Gary Glover

? 3-4, 6.70 ERA in 2005

? Has not faced STL

Did the Brewers save some offense for Gary Glover?

On Friday, they erupted for nine runs in the span of three innings against Chris Carpenter, a pitcher whom many consider the frontrunner for the National League Cy Young Award.

It does not get much easier on Saturday, when the Cardinals send out lefty Mark Mulder against Glover, who returns to the Brewers starting rotation after pitching parts of the last four months for Triple-A Nashville.

Glover went 6-4 with a 3.03 ERA for Nashville, then went 2-0 with a 2.45 ERA during the team's playoff run that ended with a Pacific Coast League title. He has not started against the Cardinals since June 2001, an Interleague game in which Glover appeared for the White Sox in relief.

Quote:
"He is the most focused player we have on our team, and there's not many players as focused as he is in the National League. He gets the very most of his ability." -- Brewers manager Ned Yost, on center fielder Brady Clark

Quote:
"Normally, you would think, 'Yes.' But the thing that I've found out about Tony La Russa in the last two years is that he doesn't allow his team to let down whatsoever. It doesn't matter if they've clinched; they keep their edge and play hard. There's no post-clinching letdown against the Cardinals." -- Brewers manager Ned Yost, on whether it's easier to face the Cardinals now that they've secured the division title

Over his last six starts, Mulder has not allowed more than two runs in any game and has gone at least seven innings every time. He's permitted a total of one homer over those games, and in none of them has he walked more than two. Moreover, he's only gone past 100 pitches once in those six games. What's not to like?

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...maybe we'll win the car. Or a spring training trip. Or a Sharpie jersey, which for me would be pretty sweet.

Or maybe the Brewers will surprise me. Go, home team.

EDIT: Okay, hawing is going to try her hand at some smack talk. The challenge is down.

The Brewers couldn't find 81 with a multiplication table.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

this game is huge. With likely having 2 starts remaining from Davis, Glover, Ohka, and either Helling or Cappy, a huge key will be for us to take 1 of Glover's starts. Getting today's win out of the way would be nice, and it's fun to still mathematically be in it with a week to play. Of course, we also will need to score for Davis this week. And it'll be interesting to see if perhaps in one game, we go with a lineup featuring Hardy, Hall, Weeks, Fielder, Hart, and Cruz.

I'm eating at Coerper's tonight and I'm pretty sure there's not enough room for a television there, but if I wasn't I'd be somewhere on the third base side praying that Glover can give us five good innings. Winning this series would be tremendous in my mind.

what shoud I drink tonight boys?

I'm all over "The Champagne of Beers" tonight.

You know what you should do, paddled? Go out and get yourself some Schlitz. That would do the trick.

Oh yeah, this is the game thread, so I should say something. Is it really showing appreciation to the fans by running Gary Glover out there??

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I'm a bit surprised to see Jenkins in the starting lineup tonight. Mulder being a lefty, Geoff with his sore back.

I suppose it's better than having Magruder out there, but I would have thought that today would be a good day to have either Cruz or Hart get the start. Save Geoff for PH.

Lineups:
 St. Louis Milwaukee --------- --------- Pos Player HR RBI AVG. Pos Player HR RBI AVG. --- ------ -- --- ---- --- ------ -- --- ---- SS Eckstein, David 8 58 .292 CF Clark, Brady 12 46 .307 3B Nunez, Abraham 5 43 .288 SS Hardy, JJ 7 46 .241 1B Pujols, Albert 39 109 .335 1B Overbay, Lyle 19 72 .278 CF Edmonds, Jim 28 85 .259 LF Lee, Carlos 32 110 .268 LF Rodriguez, John 5 23 .294 RF Jenkins, Geoff 23 81 .286 2B Grudzielanek, Mark 8 56 .294 2B Hall, Bill 16 59 .283 RF Taguchi, So 8 50 .289 3B Cirillo, Jeff 4 21 .291 C Molina, Yadier 8 48 .258 C Moeller, Chad 6 20 .208 P Mulder, Mark (16-7, 3.43) P Glover, Gary (3-4, 6.70)

Yes, DHonks, he has played fairly well against lefties. And he's hitting .318 against StL this year (if that really matters).

I would think he's about due for a day off, mostly because of his back. And I think it would make more sense to give him a day off against a lefty rahter than a righty. Especially one of the tougher lefties in Mulder.

Archived