Brewer Fanatic

9/27/05 Reds (Claussen) @ Crew (Hellling) 6:35 CST

smbrewersfan15
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Maddox getting enough attention from other teams to move on? Or will he stick with Ned?

I would think that if a team threw a bunch of money or a managerial job at him, he'd have to take it.

Besides, Maddux wouldn't be good in a big market. Not enough retreads to recycle.

Quote:
Especially with Eveland's collapse last night, Helling is making quite a case to be our fifth starter next year.

I doubt that Dana's performance last night will have any bearing on what happens with next year's rotation. This team needs to protect too many players from Rule 5 consideration to risk leaving Helling on the 40-man. He's pitching very well, but remember that he is a 35-year-old journeyman who has a propensity for being knocked around. Maddux is good, but I doubt he can make fine wine out of grape jelly.

I doubt that Dana's performance last night will have any bearing on what happens with next year's rotation.

You have to admit that Eveland getting beat up pretty bad and Helling continuing to dominate as a starter means something. I highly doubt that Doug and/or Ned will just overlook what each player has done this year. And, I refuse to accept the fact that Helling is not capable of being a solid starter next year. This is baseball, anything is possible.

Quote:
You have to admit that Eveland getting beat up pretty bad and Helling continuing to dominate as a starter means something. I highly doubt that Doug and/or Ned will just overlook what each player has done this year. And, I refuse to accept the fact that Helling is not capable of being a solid starter next year. This is baseball, anything is possible.

It's very possible that Dana just has a tired arm. This is by far the most he's pitched in a season. That's the reason why he's been in our pen the last two months, and wasn't in Nashville's championship rotation. Doug and Ned won't take what happened this year for granted, but they have to take Dana's workload into account. Also, Gary Glover was pitching very well in Milwaukee's rotation at this point last season. While I know that Helling has had quite a bit more success in his career than Glover, I'm going to take what Rick has done very cautiously for now.

Archived