Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Brewers vs. Oakland A's March 9, 2006 @ 2 PM

fondybrewfan

Before we all start taking numbers to jump off a bridge or begin returning our tickets, lets see what the good Doc says on Saturday.

Clearly you are not a veteran Brewer fan, and can't remember the days of Higuera, Eldred, and McDonald, not to mention our early round draft picks who never made it. When it comes to well-paid pitchers the Brewers are snakebit. And yes, if this is more than minor I will peel the skin off my body.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FWIW, the Brewers were 12-10 last year when Sheets started, so the team went 69-71 without him. Is it unreasonable to think that the Brewers could win 85ish games without Sheeter? Not necessarily, though they'd have to be pretty lucky with the rest of the team. Losing Sheets would not mean the whole team was sunk, and no one's even said we've lost Sheets yet. Time for a chill pill.

A likely scenario is that Sheets was making an effort to throw at his current comfort level, say 85%. The fact is that any major league pitcher who is throwing at less than 90% of his velocity is going to get shelled, like Sheets was getting in the first inning.

Sheets' pride probably took over for a batter or two and he turned it up a notch. He may have suffered a very, very minor "irritation", and then the light bulb clicked on, and he realized "what the hell am I doing" and took himself out of the game.

I'd be very surprised if anything that happened today would constitute a major setback. Sheets is too smart to let anything like that happen. If anything, they'll just push the timetable back a little, like they should have all along.

My best guess is that Ben will work on the side, be back on the mound for an inning in about 10 days, then start making progress toward being on the mound in Milwaukee in late April. We'll have to live with a few starts from our sixth starter, Dave Bush, who will probably win each of those starts.

And if I remember correctly, when Sheets was on the DL we had a winning record.

That could well be true, but the arbitrariness of his DL days makes that statistic sorta irrelevant to me, unless you want to argue that Sheets not being in the clubhouse helped the Brewers win. During his 22 starts, the Brewers were 12-10.

As I was leaving work, I was listening to WTMJ, and I think it was Bill Michaels was interviewing Ned Yost, and Yost did not sound happy. He was repeating himself a lot, and he didn't sound like he was really focusing or even listening very closely to the questions. I've never heard Ned Yost sound so depressed in my life. Now, what does that mean? Probably nothing, but I think he shared all of our feelings of trepidation. Hopefully, it turns out to be nothing. Hopefully...

Bondo....

Your brother did well....

IP H R ER BB SO HR

MILWAUKEE

B Sheets (L,0-1) 1-3 6 5 5 0 0 1

K Davis 1 1-3 2 2 1 2 1 0

D Sarfate 3 1-3 1 0 0 1 1 0

M Stetter 1 0 0 0 1 0 0

J Kershner 1 1 0 0 0 0 0

B Evert 1 0 0 0 0 2 0

OAKLAND

And if I remember correctly, when Sheets was on the DL we had a winning record.

Is Ben Sheets the best starter by far? Yes. His loss would be huge.

That said, I don't think this is that bad. Worst case to me seems like he would miss the first couple of starts.

Say a prayer that the "discomfort" is merely scar tissue acting up as they predicted and not some problem gone unrecognized when this all started last season.

That was my exact thought when I heard that he had "discomfort". I wouldn't be suprised if it's just scar tissue. The other possibility is that Ben really needs a good stretching program. He shouldn't be having as many muscle problems as he does unless he sits around playing Playstation, watching TV, or surfing the web most of the time and not spending enough time stretching. It's amazing how many "athletes" completely ignore flexibility as a key part of their "workout".

That said, I don't think this is that bad. Worst case to me seems like he would miss the first couple of starts.

With 24 days remaining, I could see Sheets starting in Nashville. He doesnt even need to be put on the dl, I would think, seeing as he has options remaining which will probably go unused otherwise.

In other news, TGJ decided that he did not want to hit a home run today and instead settled on a 1-3 day with a triple. Personally, I will be dissappointed if he gets anything less than a double during spring training the rest of the way. Seriously though, nice start. Keep it rolling into Nashville.

Archived