Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Brewers vs. Oakland A's March 9, 2006 @ 2 PM

fondybrewfan
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This from JSOnline...

Phoenix - Milwaukee Brewers right-hander Ben Sheets left his exhibition start against Oakland in the bottom of first inning today at Phoenix Municipal Stadium with what was described as an irritation of the right latissimus muscle, the same muscle that sidelined him for the final six weeks of last season.

Sheets, who had been slated to throw three innings, walked off the mound after allowing a RBI single to Athletics catcher Jason Kendall, the eighth batter he faced in the inning.

Kendall's hit, the sixth allowed by Sheets, prompted a visit from pitching coach Mike Maddux. After a few moments, manager Ned Yost and head athletic trainer Roger Caplinger joined the discussion and Sheets left the game with Caplinger at his side.

Brewers assistant general manager Gord Ash said that Sheets will be examined by team doctor William Raasch on Saturday. Raasch had planned to be in Phoenix to conduct physicals in minor-leauge camp.

"Roger (Caplinger) said that Ben describes it not as pain, but as (an) uncomfortable feeling,'' Ash said. "(Caplinger) did some manual testing and feels like there is still strength in the shoulder. He doesn't feel like there has been any reoccurrence. But, we'll have to have Dr. raasch look at him on Saturday.''

Asked if Sheets would undergo a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) exam, Ash said: "Possibly. It's going to be the doctor's call. Obviously he's very familiar with the injury and the progress, having examined him numerous times during the winter.''

Although Sheets did throw a handful of curveballs, a pitch he avoided in his spring debut last week, there was no question that the velocity on his pitches was not close to its usual standards.

"We couldn't really tell (if the velocity was down), but obviously the hitters told you that,'' Ash said.

Sheets began his outing by allowing a single to Mark Ellis and a two-run homer to Mark Kotsay. Bobby Crosby lined out to right field, but the next three batters - Eric Chavez, Jay Payton and Nick Swisher - singled. Matt Watson followed with a high chopper to first baseman Prince Fielder, whose throw to the plate was wide.

Kendall's RBI single made the score 5-0 and sent Sheets to the clubhouse.

"I think the good news is that it wasn't pain,'' Ash said. "I think at this point, it's just premature to speculate. We'll just have to let the doctor look at him.

This is exactly the kind of crap that we don't need going into what is probably our most important season in a looong time. I just hope that this isn't a reocurring theme. I'd hate to have to feel what Cub's fans have felt these past few years with their pitchers.

Wow.

Before we all start taking numbers to jump off a bridge or begin returning our tickets, lets see what the good Doc says on Saturday.

In the meantime, please beseech the diety of your choice (WWFSM Do?) for this to be minor and maintain normal levels of beer consumption.

Well, the Brewers were over .500 without sheets last year, and there is some depth to the rotation. So there is no need to act like a depressed lemming just yet.

Think happy thoughts, or just hum "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life".

Speaking of changing the subject,

Quote:
is this game on XM? i can't find it.

Why doesn't this doesn't surprise me?

I haven't found a single Brewers game on XM yet. And that cost me $14 this month. For $14, I can get the entire season of Uecker brodcasts no less through MLB.com.

Hmm... Which is a beter deal?

They do not really need a 5th starter until April 17th. If Sheets is out longer than that, then someone would have to fill that spot. Unless Helling is healthy, its pretty wide open at this point.

One name to keep in back of mind if its serious is Jose Contreras.

I haven't found a single Brewers game on XM yet.

If they're not on the flagship station, they aren't carried. It isn't XM's fault. They also don't carry split squad games (and I know this isn't one, but for future reference).

Oh... this could be bad. I'm not so concerned about the discomfort is I am about the fact that it didn't seem like he was close to ready. He might be out a lot longer to get himself ready, and that's even if he didn't do any further damage.

How do you get the Uecker casts for every game? Does it come with video?

Gameday Audio on MLB.com costs $14.95 for the entire season, which allows you to listen to the live (and archived) broadcasts of all the games and all of the teams' announcers. And the Spring Training for the following year is thrown in free of cost.

Archived