Brewer Fanatic

03/15/06: Brewers (Davis) at Giants, 2:00 PM CT, MLB Audio

Mass Haas
He has a bit of a track record of suckiness, though, a season and a half's worth, to go along with a season and a half of goodness. I don't think he should be a lock, but maybe his salary dictates that he is.

This might warrant its own thread, but is anyone else extremely underwhelmed by Gabe Gross? Given his minor league track record, I thought he was a nice nugget when the trade was made, but when I finally got to see him play on Sunday, he made me miss Magruder. And I'm on record saying that Magruder is one of the worst players to ever spend a whole season on a roster.

Seriously, does Gross do anything well? He was supposed to have decent plate discipline, but he's been chasing some pretty bad pitches. He was supposed to be a good enough corner outfielder to be passable in CF, but he looked shakey the other day, not even attempting to hold runners on third on two shallow sac flies.

I know, I know, small sample, Spring Training, etc., etc. He just doesn't look very good to me and today's 0-5 with two Ks doesn't help. If there's any sort of roster crunch, I'd be just fine with Hart as the fourth OF and some combination of Hall and Sorensen as the fifth. If we're really in need of a fifth outfielder, Cruz is only a phone call away.

just got back. A decent Brewers contingent there. I sat infront of Jim Powell and his family for the first few innings, so I couldn't stop laughing at how I was at a game, yet was hearing his voice still.

Fielder now makes me 6 for 6 in 2005 and 2006 spring training games. That's right, he's homered in all 6 I've been to.

Hall with two great hustling triples. Koskie should have hit one. His deep drive came up a foot short of clearing the fence. Then I looked and he was barely at 1st. It's 430 to center, so I guess he thought he hit it out, but at least he still got to second. Still, should have been a triple.

The Hurricane with a nice slashing liner that required a diving catch from I think Mark Sweeney. If he misses it, it's a triple. He's a lot skinnier than I thought he would be. I expected him to look more like Belliard. Nelson Cruz and Fielder absolutely crushed their homers. Both over the 430 part of the park.

And Gross looks very good in the field. He was battling a tough sun, and yet he made the plays effortlessly. He also runs better than I expected. That means he's matched the total number of games (spring training and reg. season) that I've seen where Magruder played well defensively, and it's after watching Gross once

Let's not get too pumped up about Kolb just yet. Maddux needs time to work with him. Kolb got himself messed up in Atlanta, Maddux needs time to fix it.

BTW Mike Maddux needs some kind of a cool nick name.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

DHonks, while you say Gross looks good in the field, he looks absolutely horrible at the plate. In the 4 games we have seen so far this spring, Gross has done nothing to warrant him making the team. Although it is *only* spring training, this is my first impression of him and he is hardly proven in the big leagues.

He should not make the 25 man, Cruz is really deserving. I like him more and more each time I see him.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060315/capt.e040d451481d4e2dbb27e1b7e70e6bee.brewers_giants_baseball_azer109.jpg

Milwaukee Brewers center fielder Gabe Gross dives and misses a fly ball hit by the San Francisco Giants' Barry Bonds during the first inning of their spring training game in Scottsdale, Ariz., Wednesday March 15, 2006. Bonds doubled on the play.

(AP Photo/Eric Risberg)

We were out in left field to welcome back el caballo... and to give barry some of what he deserves.

we had a big sign that said,

BONDS

* 'roids

and at one point I yelled, 'hey barry, is it the cream or the clear today?' to which he turned around and yelled, 'both!'

good to see he's got a sense of humor about tainting america's pasttime.

-andy

dhonks

I was at the game as well. Was Powell with his wife and 3 daughters? I moved out to the rf grass and sat down because our seats sucked and a bit later a person I thought was Powell came and sat with his family right in front of us. They only stayed for something like the 7th and 8th innings and then left. I am pretty sure it was him though. I looked at him as he left and he must have known I was trying to figure out if it was him because he gave me a nod as he walked by.

Anyway Cruz's shot was enormous. That was the coolest Hr I have ever seen in person. Towering beyond belief.

Archived