Brewer Fanatic

03/16/06: Brewers (Fernandez) vs. A's, 2:00 PM, MLB Audio

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

From Drew Olson:

Phoenix - Knuckleballer Jared Fernandez, who has turned in some impressive outings this spring, will make his first start as the Milwaukee Brewers take on Oakland. Fernandez, a non-roster invitee who has pitched in the big leagues for Cincinnati and Houston, has piqued the interest of Brewers manager Ned Yost and the coaching staff with his ability to throw the fluttering pitch in the strike zone consistently.

Here is the Brewers' lineup for the game:

1. Brady Clark, cf.

2. Jeff Cirillo, 3b.

3. Geoff Jenkins, rf

4. Carlos Lee, lf

5. Corey Koskie, 1b

6. Bill Hall, ss

7. Zach Sorensen, 2b

8. Chad Moeller, c

9. Jared Fernandez, p.

Relief pitchers: Carlos Villaneuva, Ben Hendrickson, Justin Thompson, Derrick Turnbow.

I see the Brewers are going with their junior varsity infield today.

I wonder if Brady Clark gets mad when he's forced to sit out of a Spring Training game? I'd sure like to see some of out other centerfielders (Nelson Cruz, Corey Hart, Zach Sorenson, Bill Hall, Tony Gwynn Jr., Gabe Gross, Robin Yount) get some time out there. We already pretty much know what Brady can do.

it seems like Eveland is struggling a bit like Hendrickson was last year. What happens if Sheets and Helling can't go on opening day? Would Hendrickson or Jackson hop into the rotation till one of them can come off the DL?

I am excited to see how Fernandez does in his start. I know its not the most experienced infield behind him, but a good start will do wonders for his bid to return to milwaukee in the beginning of april

EDIT: plus another bad outing by moeller may put more pressure on him in his bid to make the team.

Yeah, I have no idea why Schroeder kept insisting the other day that Eveland came into camp in competition for the 5th spot, or for a spot as a LH reliever. He's apparently completely unaware that Dana's future is as a starter.

He was coming into camp to compete for the 5 spot or bullpen. He was down on the list, but he was in genuine competition for a roster spot. It was an uphill battle at the start though, being down on the pecking order a little bit. I think you're harping on Bill Schroeder just a bit because I don't think you like his style, and are perhaps still peeved about the Fielder interview.

True, he obviously didn't do his homework on that, but cut him some slack. Perhaps he's learned his lesson and/or had a stern talking to from his employer about it.

3-2 OAK,

Clark just hit a RBI singles, scoring none other then Chad Moeller.

edit: I'd give more updates, but between watching the MU game, and Darron and the other guy just rambling on makes it very hard to listen to. When Sutton starts yelling, I kind of pay attention.

Now 4-2

Double by Jason Kendall(sp)

This was in the top of 5th.

I'll try play by play seeing its halftime.

Bottom 5th

Jenkins: Ground out, 4-3.

Carlos Lee: has two hits earlier today. Line drive basehit. Now 3-3.

Koskie: Line Drive of glove of second baseman, Lee to second. I believe ruled a hit.

Bill Hall: Pop out in foul territory.

Sorenson: Dribbler back to pitcher. 1-3

Top 6th

Villaneuva pitching

Not sure who: Pop out to Koskie

Next guy, Sutton never said who: Strike Out

Antonio Perez: Strike Out

Villaneuva sat down last 5 he faced.

Bottom 6th

Juan Cruz pitching for OAK

Chad Moeller: Doubled earler in game. First hit of spring, might I add. Ground ball through 3B legs. E5. Moeller on first

Abbernathy: Fly Out

Brady Clark: Strike Out swinging, 12th time this spring.

Jeff Cirillo: Line out to right field. Way it sounded from Darron, was hard hit.

Top 7th

Hendrickson pitching. 8.10 ERA so far this spring. Tony Jr. in center now as well.

Barton: Walk

Freddy Byeum or Bynum: 4 straight balls. Barton to second.

Watson: Fly out to right

Unknown batter #1: Grounder into center. Barton Scores. 5-2 OAK

Unknown batter #2:Grounder to Bill Hall. Steps on second, throws to first. 6-3 Double play

Bottom 7th

Cruz cont.

Geoff Jenkins: Grounder to short, 6-3

Carlos Lee: Strike out looking

Corey Koskie: Grounder to short, 6-3

Oh yay, the Brewers turing up the heat song is back on. Come on once was way to much for me.

Top 8th

LHP Justin Tompson pitching. Bunch of youngster playing the field now.

Rous(sp): Fly out to right

Thomas: Grounder to second, 4-3

Scott McClain: Got out some how, didn't say how.

Bottom 8th

Corey Hart: Rolled to third. Misplayed. Hart on first. Given a hit by Sutton and Gord.

Vinny Rottino: Fly/ Line out

Chad Moeller: Hart thrown out at second. Apears to have gotten hosed on the call.

Moeller gets a single somewhere. Just to be fair to Chad, he is 2-11 now on the spring.

Abbernathy: Single, Moeller to third.

Gwynn Jr.: Single to left, Moeller scores, Abbernathy to second. 5-3 OAK

Nelson Cruz: Single to right, Abbernathy scores, Gwynn Jr. to third 5-4 OAK.

Brewers outhitting A's 14-7 this far.

Gabe Gross: Single to left, Gwynn Jr. scores. 5-5

Chavez?: Grounder up middle taken by SS, barely thrown out at first.

Top 9th

Turnbow pitching

Andrew Beedy: Strike out, Sutton called it "good hard breaking ball"

Barton: 4 straight balls

Bynum: Doug Clark pitch running at first. Single to center, Clark to second.

Watson: Single to right, Clark to third, Bynum on second.

Baker: Single to center, Clark scores, Bynum scores. 7-5 OAK.

Nick Swisher: Single to center, Watson scores. 8-5 OAK.

Mike Rous: Single to left, Baker scores. 9-5 OAK

Most of these hits are said to be on the ground, not too hard hit.

Thomas: Single dumped into left, . Swisher scores. 10-5 OAK.

Pitching change

Ron Floress, the pitcher: Strike out

Andrew Beedy: Pop out to center

Bottom 9th

Floress pitching

Romano: Walks on full count

Corey Hart: Pops out on infield

Vinny Rottino: Single left field, broken bat. Romano to second. 6-12 on the spring for Vinny.

Moeller: Double off wall , Romano scores, Rottino to third. 10-6 OAKhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/nerd.gif 3-4, on base all four times.

Matt Rowny now pitching

Abbernathy: Grounder to short, throw goes to third, slide knocks ball out. Everyone safe. Fielder's choice. Rottino scores, Moeller to third, Abbernathy on first. 10-7 OAK

Tony Gwynn Jr.: Sac Fly, Moeller scores, Abbernathy still on first. 10-8 OAK

Nelson Cruz: Abbernathy takes second.

Strike out, ball passes catcher, Cruz safe at first.

Gabe Gross: Single lined to left, Abbernathy scores, Cruz to third. 10-9 OAK.

Whoever: Line out to center

END OF GAME. Brewers lose 9-10

Archived