Brewer Fanatic

3/18/06 Brewers (Zach Jack) at Padres, 2:00 PM, WTMJ

Mass Haas

Got back in to Milwaukee late last night from a week in Phoenix. Saw six games, and I must say I was very impressed by Zach Jackson. He pitched very well, and was one of the only pitchers I saw not give up a "big inning". Also, I was impressed with Dennis Sarfate. He pitched well. He walked quite a few men, but got the ground balls he needed to get out of innings. He gave up very few hard hit balls, and most balls hit in play were on the ground. His only run given up was on account of Miller missing an easy pop-up in foul ground. Also, I've been impressed so far this spring with the play of Corey Koskie and Bill Hall. Koskie has played very well to date, and Bill Hall has as well - and he puts on a big-time show in batting practice (while it means nothing, he has the most batting practice power of any brewer, including Carlos Lee). Either way, I look forward to Zach Jack today.

I wonder if Sarfate might benefit from the Ben Sheets school of thought on pitching. Ben listened to everyone and learned to pitch, taking velocity off his fastball. But then after being in the big leagues for a few years, Ben realized his curve wasn't getting strikeouts, but rather foul balls. His fastball was getting groundball outs. So he decided to just start "dialing it up" on every pitch. Suddenly his heater was 95-97. It made the high fastball into his strikeout pitch. By adding the vertical dimension to pitching, suddenly Ben found that he could get big leaguers to chase his curveball down.

So what I'm wondering is if Sarfate could benefit from throwing harder. We know it's been reported that he is "learning to pitch", but I wonder if we'll see a similar progression where he gets to the big leagues and is solid, then becomes dominant by dialing it up all the time.

I can give play to play for a bit.....

TOP 1

Brazelton Pitching

Clark pop single to right center

Clark SB

Cirillo BB

Clark SB

Jenkins K

Lee 6-4-3 DP

BOT 1

Jackson Pitching

Roberts K

Cameron F7

Giles K

TOP 2

Fielder 1-3

Hall infield single

Koskie E4

Johnson 3-6, Koskie Out at 2, E6 Hall scores (MIL 1, SD 0)

Jackson 1-3

BOT 2

Piazza 5-3

Klesko K

Castilla F8

TOP 3

Clark E6

Cirillo K

Jenkins F9

Clark SB

Lee 5-3

BOT 3

Greene double to left

Belhorn BB

Brazelton K

Roberts RBI single to left, Greene scores, Belhorn to 2 (MIL 1, SD1)

Belhorn to 3rd, Roberts to 2nd on Jackson WP

Cameron BB

Giles SF9, Belhorn scores, Roberts to 3rd, Cameron to 2nd (MIL 1, SD 2)

Piazza 2RBI single, Roberts scores, Cameron scores (MIL 1, SD 4)

Klesko double, Piazza to 3rd

Castilla RBI single, Piazza scores, Klesko to 3rd (MIL 1, SD 5)

Klesko scores on Jackson WP, Castilla to 2nd (MIL 1, SD 6)

Greene BB

Belhorn F3

Well thats all i got for today......

[ I've got to say, I'm not a big fan of this new forum at all. I doubt that there will be as many posts and it just doesn't feel right. I'm for having it the way it used to be. ]

We've move the threads here for a few reasons:

1) It's easier to see if there are new posts in the Major League forum, or simply updates to the game threads (which some people aren't as interested in).

2) It's far easier to archive game threads now, as they're easier to find.

3) There was a rash of one-line posting in a lot of the major league forum topics. We're trying to keep those a little cleaner, and not be as affected by the one-line posts in the game threads.

Saturday day games are usually slow for IGT's, especially during pre-season. I'm confident that we'll be seeing the same traffic we saw last year as the regular season starts.

[ Just curious, how does archeiving threads work now? Will threads be moved once they fall of the front page, or will all IGT's just be left here from now on. ]

When a forum reaches 20 pages of threads, the oldest fall off the "back end". So, when we get around 18 or so pages of IGT's here, i'll move them to the archive. At that point, we'll more than likely need an "In Game Thread Archive 2" forum, as we're already at 18 pages of IGT's.

I went to the game yesterday...Zach Jack looked good for 2 innings, the third was not so good.

Carlos mashed a ball that would of been out of any ball park, but it hit the batter's eye (410 ft) 2/3rds the way up for a double.

I guess anyone can run on Piazza.

Archived