Brewer Fanatic

Power 50 for June Posted

SoCal, I agree that power is Brantley's weakness and that Gwynn represents why we should care. I also take your point that two months are just two months.

However, in 250 PA at A ball, Brantley at 20 -- the age at which Gwynn started his pro career -- put up a better ISO than Gwynn ever has.

Gwynn's age/level/ISO numbers: 20/A/.046; 21/AA/.068; 22/AA/.067; 23/AAA/.096. (That age 23 season, BTW, was also the first year Gwynn hit .300, which Brantley has done at every stop.)

Brantley: 18/R,R+/.034; 19/A/.039; 20/A/.105.

Now, .105 ISO isn't enough to start in a big league corner unless you're Tony Gwynn the elder. Also, Brantley's power surge could be a fluke or a result of repeating the level. His ISOs before this year were horrifying, albeit at ages when Gwynn was still in college.

It's still striking to me that Brantley has put up a lot more power than Gwynn did at the same age/level. Also, talented 20 year-old hitters are supposed to develop power, so I think Brantley is at least as likely to keep beefing up as he is to revert. Our information on these guys is incomplete, but what we do know has me projecting Brantley, at this moment, as having a very good chance to hit more than Gwynn and an excellent chance to hit more than Fermaint.

Greg.

i've seen both of these guys play a lot, and that certainly affects the way i have ranked them in the past...clearly, charlie fermaint has lost a ton of his prospect luster this year...likewise, brantley has been off the charts...

however, before this year i didnt think mike brantley was going to make it...it's really kind of amazing...mike seems faster and much stronger this year...last year mike looked like a stick and didnt even compare to lorenzo cain or darren ford...this year? Brantley looks like a man...he also told me that he had a lingering injury last year that really kept his power down...

Fermaint, like Ford and Cain, looks like an athlete...he's built well, runs fast, and crushes the ball...i dont know whats going on this year, but he's waaaaay off his game...

at this point, i agree...brantley should be ahead of Fermaint...but i think patience is rewarded when making a list like this...

glad your back Greg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

It's an oversight on our part, but the Power 50 is limited to players 26 and under, and while there are a few on that cusp, we actually failed to pick up on the fact that Vinny Rottino turned 27 in April, and thus will graduate from the P50 next time out.

Not a problem, Vinny, as we'll see later this season and in 2008 in Milwaukee...

I can't see why Brantley didn't get much love before this season. A youngster with great plate discipline works for me. I still wouldn't project him as being a star, but I can't really see why fermaint, cain, ford, et al. deserve to be ranked above him.

I agree with you, DrWood...he has shown tremendous discipline and production. Ford and Cain have been great too. Fermaint I'd like to see more of before I comment, but from what people have said on here and his demotion to WV, I think Brantley at AA would get my vote over Charlie.

• 2 weeks later...
Haydel out, Gindl in. Travis Wendte still pounding Sally League hitters, 9 more k's tonight with one BB in 5 innings to go to 6-0. I know he's 24, but his performance this year has to be catching someone's eye. Otherwise, he's pretty darn good for a roster filler. If Moss, Anderson and Nelson are still on the list, then this guy deserves at least deserves a sniff.

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:
It will be posted some time just after July 4th.

Just curious, but do we any update forthcoming?

BTW--thanks for all you guys do, not meaning to rush you as I'm sure these summer months are very busy for you all.

Archived