Brewer Fanatic

Another round of promotions?

DHonks

The Brewers normally do a round of promotions in late July, hence why the recent promotions were a bit surprising. At this point, I can see several players getting promoted. On the hitter side, I think Errecart, Gillespie, Salome, and Gamel could jump to AA.

The real person that got me thinking of this was Andrew Lefave. But theoretically there could be quite a few moving up, including LaPorta seeing A+ or AA even.

somebody help me out with this one....where does a .228 hitting Gillespie rate a promotion to AA when he never even went through low A ball? I'm just curious when I read things about him and I've never seen him play, but I watch Chuckie Caufield hitting .311 with 13sb and 96 hits not get talked about so much. I know there is more power with Gillespie, but what is his big appeal this season?

I think his power, the fact that the FSL is tough on hitters and of course he was a 3rd round selection last year all figure into this. The MO of the Brewers has been to challenge and move up the advanced college hitters (especially higher round selecctions like Weeks, Braun) as long as they are doing what the organization has asked them to work on (ie, taking more pitches) knowing that that sometimes doesn't translate into stats.

Caufield appears to be lost in the numbers game and may be left behind as the veteran leader for the WV club in the 2nd half. But there are many (myself included) who look forward to see what he can do at higher levels.

Caufield definitely needs to be moved up. But until someone like Cole or Cain is also moved up, there is no place for Chuckie, Chapman, or Lefave to start in Brevard.

As for Gillespie, his numbers earlier in the year were matching or beating what Braun was putting up in Brevard last year. He's gone on an extended cold streak, but he's still shown good power (7 HR), speed (14 SB), and plate discipline (.346 OBP) Plus, as biedergb says, he's one of those advanced college hitters we like to move quickly.

I think Cole will be promoted, and one of the WV outfielders moved up to Brevard, to make room for Laporta whenever he's ready to go.

Much as I'd love to cheer for Gillespie, "advanced college hitters" don't hit .228 in A+ ball. Brevard is a tough place to hit, maybe. Escobar - .325, Salome -.320, Erracart - .311, Gamel - .305, Yohannis Perez (who could not hit AA and was moved back to A+) - .303, Darren Ford - .286, Lorenzo Cain - .284, NED YOST .279.

This isn't T-Ball where everyone gets a trophy. This is playin' with the big boys. Produce or get passed up by someone else.

This isn't T-Ball where everyone gets a trophy. This is playin' with the big boys. Produce or get passed up by someone else.

I don't see minor league promotion as a reward; I see it as a player development issue. Production matters to the extent it convinces the organization that you're ready for the developmental challenge of the next level. If the organization looks at everything they know about Gillespie's ability -- his overall skill set, history, age, and the bite the FSL is taking out of him -- maybe they conclude he's ready to take on AA, or maybe not.

In any event, it isn't all about batting averages, and it isn't remotely about macho platitudes. Look at it this way: if they promote Gillespie now, and he ends up having a great career with the Brewers, will you hold against him or the team that he was hitting .230 when he got promoted?

Greg.

Players should be at the highest level in which they can have some success. If you rush a player, it's not a huge deal, as who cares if they spend 1 year at AA and 1 year at AAA, or .5 and 1.5 years...the only caveat being that the early promotion and struggles not affect a player mentally.

I wonder, what does the organization do with Gamel at his current pace? His error rate is horrific, he's blocked by Braun, but once again his bat is carrying him. I wouldn't mind seeing them try him someplace else this season. The outfield seems logical, first base might not be a bad move as Prince will price himself out of Milwaukee quickly. However, if first base is in his future, then there's no reason to move him off of 3rd.

You could bump him to AA as Brantley probably belongs in the A+ outfield, but whom would Brantley replace? If not Brantley there's no place for him to go because Katin isn't going anywhere. Gillespie isn't hitting but doesn't belong in WV, Ford just got bumped up, Cain has been moderately slumping lately (.250 in his last 10) but he's been solid and is moving up a level a year right on schedule.

The A+ and A outfields are just loaded with decent prospects, especially when LaPorta arrives in WV. I just don't see how they can convert Gamel to the outfield without hindering the developement of other prospects. This is a very nice problem to have, but very difficult to resolve.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Yep good post. But you only pulled one statement out that post. The initial point was that advanced college hitters don't hit .220 in A+ ball without there being some concern, especially with seveeral other team mates having showing it can be done. AA is supposed to be the league that seperates the contenders from the pretenders, not A ball. This guy's trending towards the Mendoza line as we speak, leading the team with 61 strikeouts. If it's a bad place for power hitters, you're telling me that this guy can't toss in a single or a screaming gap double every now and then? If he goes to AA and tears it up, great. I truly hope I'm wrong. But is it asking too much for a smidge of productivity before he gets promoted to AA?

Gwynn is a great example, by the way, of MLB staffs actually knowing what they're doing, and us wanna be's forming opinions off of doing nothing but reading box scores.

Boyjeenius, you're right -- I only meant to take issue with your general statement; I agree that Gillespie's production is cause for concern. His secondary offensive production has been solid for most of the year, and the organization may know/see things we don't. But I look at him right now and, based on what I know, I have the same concerns you do. It would surprise me if they promoted him any time soon; I was just saying that it wouldn't be wrong for them to promote him if they believed he could handle it.

Greg.

Well, since we've had this interesting discussion, Gillespie has had 3 good games in a row, showing off his pop. If that's what it takes, then I'll continue to question the dude, and he can keep on raking.

I wonder if Lucroyand/or Fryer plays some at WV this year, so Whiteside can move to Helena for a bit.

I think it's a little too early to annoint Gwynn a great example of anything at this point.

Too bad that Gamel and Salome are having defensive problems. I have to think their bats are ready for AA. Both are hitting A+ much harder than Braun did last year and both are younger than Braun was at the time.

If they can just get to the acceptable level with their gloves, the Brewers may really have something with these 2.

Minors is a good place to hone their defensive skills, and almost always they come around as they mature into young adults. Thankfully there's no rush to get them here early and destroy them, as past administartions have been known to do. There's plenty of time for them to grow.

It's not so much their glove, but I remember in the past Salome would airmail throws. I haven't been following his errors PB or Throwing this year, I'm just happy he's healthy and hitting.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived