Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Games of Tuesday, July 29th

MassBrew

Brian, I don't think they need to pick up his option to keep in. Let him become a FA, then sign him for $2MM a year or so. I don't think anyone will be knocking down his door to sign him, and we know Rusch really respects the Brewers for how they treated him this year.

With Martinez, at 24 he needs to be in the rotation next year. You have Jones, Hendrickson, Parra, etc. on the way up so 2004 is the perfect time for Martinez to get his opportunity. If he can be a #4 type SP, then you're on the right track with Sheets/Franklin/Martinez. 2005 add in Jones and maybe Hendrickson and that's potentially a very solid staff.

In the meantime, you just hope someone can step up and at least be a mediocre #4 and #5 SP. This season with Q, Ford, Rusch (until recently), etc..... nobody has even been mediocre- they've all been horrible.

Let him get a couple more starts at AAA then bring him up. It will only attract excitement and basically put all the rest of the staff on notice with the exception of Sheets and Franklin. Maybe we could get a little more production out of them.

Kolb for closer now!!

From Brewerfan.net FAQ:

How many players can be on the major league roster?

A team's roster may consist of 40 players until Opening Day, when the number must be reduced to 25 until September 1st, when it again becomes 40.

I'd guess once the rosters are expanded to 40 players, Martinez would be eligable without his arby clock starting. Meaning he could be in Milwaukee as early as September 1.

Archived