Brewer Fanatic

Caleb Gindl

agent39
If Caleb was 6'1 he would have been a 1st rounder, the Brewers know what they have in him, and we're all very happy with what has gone on so far in his early career. Caleb has a chance to be very special.

Im from Pace. Im now a Brewer(Oriole/Brave) fan by default. Im very excited for you to have a chance to experience one of the finest young men in the world.

One thing though, keep questioining his size and just sit back and watch.

What a steal for the Brewers Org. He was over shadowed by his teamate a little.(pick 46 supp first round to Padres, Drew Cumberland).

What are his chances of going to WVa this year?

HankSterling, welcome aboard. Hopefully you'll catch a little bit of major league Brewer fever while following Caleb in the minors.

What are his chances of going to WVa this year?

First, he has to get that hammy problem straightened out. I would have guessed that without injury, it may have been a tough chance for him to get to A-ball, tho I did mention that I thought he could earn it a few weeks ago. Now with the hamstring, I think the Brewers will be happy to have him finish the year in Helena, and have him go gangbusters in Charleston next year along with Haydel, Bryson, et al.

Caleb has me very excited, especially with the comps to Brian Giles I've been hearing. Can't wait to follow this guy.

I posted this in the Helena Brewers thread, but wanted to give it a little more attention since it includes quotes from this thread!

www.pensacolanewsjournal....30344/1002

Published - July, 13, 2007

Brewin' up a hot start

Chuck Corder

ccorder@pnj.com

This easy? So soon?

It's not supposed to be this effortless.

Rookie baseball players are supposed to struggle. Supposed to stub their toes when they make the leap from high school to professional diamonds.

Apparently, someone forgot to tell Caleb Gindl.

The former Pace High School star has made a smooth transition to minor league baseball. His eye-popping .481 batting average is tops in the Pioneer League.

The Milwaukee Brewers made Gindl, 18, a fifth-round selection in last month's Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft.

He's playing more like a first-rounder through his first 14 games with the Helena (Mont.) Brewers, Milwaukee's rookie league affiliate.

"I kinda shocked myself," said Gindl, who returns to Helena's lineup tonight after sitting out the last six games with a strained hamstring. "I didn't think I'd do this well this quick. Everybody challenges you."

Gindl has been up to the challenge in nearly every at-bat.

He began his professional career with a 12-game hitting streak, including seven nights of two hits or more. Gindl finally took the collar July 4, but still walked in that game, meaning he has reached base in every contest.

Throw in two home runs, two doubles, three triples and 13 RBI, and it's no surprise hearing Helena manager Jeff Isom rave about his new player.

"Right now what separates (Gindl) from others, especially young players, is his ability to make adjustments at the plate," Isom said. "He is a very advanced hitter. He adjusts game to game, at-bat to at-bat and pitch to pitch."

It hasn't gone unnoticed by Brewer Nation.

Milwaukee fans have flooded various message boards on the Internet, singing Gindl's praises.

Here's a few from www.brewerfan.net:

"No sense keeping Caleb in Helena if he is overmatching the competition," writes And That.

DHonks adds: "Quite impressive for someone of his age. I'd love to see him in West Virginia (Milwaukee's Class A affiliate) if this keeps up."

Finally from captkirk16: "What I notice about this kid is that he just 'loves' the game, period."

The last post sums up Gindl best. But while he continues to be a passionate player, he has started to become well-versed with pro baseball's unspoken rules.

You hit a home run, you run it out. If your team's up late, don't take an extra base on passed balls or lay down a bunt.

"In high school, you could run up scores. Here, you gotta show class ," Gindl said. "You can't do that kinda stuff."

Unspoken rules aside, he was forced to run out his second homer in a June 27 rout of Missoula (Mont.). Gindl smacked a line drive and the outfielder's diving attempt was well short.

So ...

"He (the outfielder) was laying on the ground and I just took off," Gindl said. "When I saw my third-base coach waving me in, I said, 'You gotta be kidding me.' "

It was his first career inside-the-park home run.

That same night saw Gindl accomplish another monumental feat: He bunted. For the first time in his life.

"He's off to a hot start and I can't say that I expected it to be this good," Isom said. "He has a lot of tools. He hits, has a strong arm and runs well."

Which is why Isom and the Brewers were very cautious when Gindl aggravated his hamstring July 5.

It was a routine scenario. Gindl was running to first when he tweaked it.

And after watching ex-Pace teammate and fellow draftee Drew Cumberland battle through hamstring troubles last season, Gindl made sure he healed properly.

He expects to return tonight, though. Which means Helena expects the hits to keep on comin' from its hot new prospect.

"I love this," a giddy Gindl said. "I'm getting paid to play baseball. How much better can it get?"

Only time will tell.

i was getting worried. it says here he was going to be back a while ago, but i guess i shouldnt be that worried.

todays line, first time back in almost 2 weeks:

3-4 2R 3 RBI avg up to .500

way to come back!! KEEP IT UP!! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived