Brewer Fanatic

Caleb Gindl

agent39

Surprising for sure, just about every IGT has a comment or 2 about him.

Edit. IGT should be Link Report, sorry Mass.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

His numbers have been reminiscent of the Hurricane in the AZ League. Quite impressive for someone of his age. I'd love to see him in West Virginia if this keeps up, although I don't see him getting promoted unless Lefave, Fermaint, Alonso, or Caufield moves up

I've been meaning to start a thread about him, because I know that Patrick thought he was one of the steals of the draft, but I keep looking at his height/weight, and thinking that's about my size. Is he David Eckstein small?

And, I know there are always kids in other sports who enter college as scrawny freshman, and then they have a growth spurt. Anything in Caleb's bloodlines to suggest this may happen?

Either way, if you can hit the ball then there's always a future for you in baseball.

Quote:
I keep looking at his height/weight, and thinking that's about my size. Is he David Eckstein small?

He's described as short but squatty and muscular by one of our posters who's seen him play this year. I had been trying to come up with a comparison for him, as theres not very many 5-9 powerhitting corner OFs in MLB. I did come up with 1, Brian Giles. Giles is also a lefty swinger, is just as short, but has worked himself into an extremely muscular physic, and has had several dominant seasons. I don't think his short frame ever hindered him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I have watched this kid play baseball for quite a few years here in Florida and it is exciting to see how he has started off in Helena. But you know, he has done this at every level he has played at. There has always been talk of his size, however, he always bats third in the line up whether it be in high school, all star games, showcases, whatever.... What I notice about this kid is that he just "loves" the game, period. He is a humble young man that comes from a great family. You never know what the future holds, but it is a lot of fun to watch and listen to. Continued success to Caleb and the Helena Brewers.

The Capt!

Thanks for the info.

X -- good call on the Brian Giles comp. That what was bothering me, I couldn't think of a OF who was 5'9"-5'10" that wasn't a speedy CF-type, and Caleb seems to be more of an impact hitter.

I never meant to question his abilities by brining size up. I figured this is a can of worms that will open itself up, a la Angel Salome from a few years back, and hopefully Caleb will have the same success Angel has had the past couple of years.

Thanks for the welcome, Jeenius!

biedergh, no worries!

I don't know if Caleb will grow anymore or not. What I do know is that he seems to be having quite a bit of fun at Helena and the team seems like it is starting to come together a little bit! Pitching coming around, getting clutch hitting. Should be a fun year!

The Brewers have been very good to me as of late, I have Hardy and Hart on my fantasy team and the way the big club is playing, this small market team could be around for awhile based on the Farm!

Getting back to Gindl, let's not forget, he does run a 6.8 60. I have heard that the average speed is 7.0.

Quote:
I couldn't think of a OF who was 5'9"-5'10" that wasn't a speedy CF-type, and Caleb seems to be more of an impact hitter.

I never meant to question his abilities by brining size up.

That was bothering me too, which is why I needed to find a comparison. When the pick was made, I wasn't inspired by it, as I didn't see what Gindl could become. It rare to see a short power hitter, even though power for many players comes from the wrists.

Its just awesome that the Brewers got past the size stigma and found us a player who is preforming the way you'd expect from a high 1st rounder.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Quote:
While it's totally unfair, it's almost impossible not to think of performance enhancers when you think of Brian Giles, however. Or at least I do

I think that is a little unfair. The only thing that would connect Giles to steroids is the fact that he's muscular. He doesn't have any of the other indicators, such as erratic behavior, growing head... Giles could have gotten big simply the old fashioned way, with hard workin the weight room. He is said to be a very dedicated worker. His play has fallen off the last few years, but the guy is 36.

ahhhh, the steroid generation! I am an old time baseball guy that has loved the game for the smell of the grass, the smell of hot dogs, the smile on kids faces and yes, the crack of the bat. We now almost always think of enhancers when we see players do things that normally aren't done. It is a shame, but.....

My hope is that we can get back to the old days where what separates average players from great players is hard work, the love of the game, and pure "Pete Rose" hustle. Of course without the gambling http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

"God Given Talent" doesn't hurt either.

Do you think we'll ever get there again?

Giles seems like he could be a steroid guy, (that is what I was thinking as well Mass Hass) but he could also just be a naturally hard worker who, as he aged, has lost some power.

It just so happens that his power collapse came just as Steroid testing started happening, but it also coincided with age (31 y/o .622 SLG, 33 y/o .475 SLG, 35 y/o .394 SLG) and moving into a tougher hitters park (PETCO).

Interestingly enough though, his younger brother, Marcus Giles, has experienced an almost identical regression in his slugging stats over the same time period. 2003-2007 (.526 SLG, .461 SLG, .347 SLG).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Quote:
such as erratic behavior, growing head

Maybe I missed it, but did McGwire's head grow? I'm pretty sure he didn't exhibit erratic behavior.

EDIT: Anyway, I am with you Mass. As soon as I saw Giles' name I thought 'steriods'. I have absolutely no proof at all, but for some reason that popped in my head.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote:
Maybe I missed it, but did McGwire's head grow? I'm pretty sure he didn't exhibit erratic behavior.

So that gives you the right to accuse someone of steroids without a shred of evidence? many of the games known juicers have had there name come up in the course of the steroid investigations, but never once has Giles name been linked.

I think the one thing to keep in mind is that height and power projection go together. If you already have power the size issue is not nearly as significant from a biomechanics point of view. On the reverse end though being a lot shorter gives you an advantage in working pitchers. I would guess that it is particularly pronounced with guys who like high heat and ones who tend to walk players anyways.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

It just so happens that his power collapse came just as Steroid testing started happening, but it also coincided with age (31 y/o .622 SLG, 33 y/o .475 SLG, 35 y/o .394 SLG) and moving into a tougher hitters park (PETCO).

Interestingly enough though, his younger brother, Marcus Giles, has experienced an almost identical regression in his slugging stats over the same time period. 2003-2007 (.526 SLG, .461 SLG, .347 SLG).

Sorry about mis-directing the Gindl thread, and thanks for posting this RyDogg. I figured, like most familiar with this dropoff, that the Giles boys were certainly at the bare minimum guys folks cast a wary eye towards -- those are mind-numbing figures at a very coincidental time...

Didn't his drop off also coincide with the wrist/hand injury Marcus struggled with?

Back to Gindl, besides Giles, who is another 5'10" or under slugger he could be compared too?A more athletic version of Matt Stairs? Stairs has a 845 career OPS, and is also just 5'9".

I couldn't find the post, but I believe I compared (noting how unfair it was) Gindl to Giles on draft day.

After that, it prompted me to check out Brian Giles minor league statistics, courtesy of waymoresports...

tsf.waymoresports.thestar...er.cgi?386

Brian Giles power really didn't develop until he reached AAA. He was always known as a good all around hitter, but with more singles and doubles before he reached the upper levels of the system.

Now take that how you want, but Gindl profiles as almost the exact kind of player at a very similar point in their careers. I don't think there is any better comparison really, although with any comparison it's important to realize that Giles was one of the best hitters in all of baseball for a few years. If Gindl maxes out as a 5th OF we should still be very happy with that kind of return.

The steroid debate is secondary IMO. I think Craig Biggio is (or at least was) one of the biggest users there is out there, however no one ever thinks to target him because he too is on the smaller side, and like Giles, it's hard to single him out because his numbers have been sliding with age.

Getting back to the original point of the thread, his success so far has been very exciting, as he's generating the type of excitement it seems that players like Palmisano, Iribarren, Salome and Gillespie have early in their careers in recent years. For a few of them, it's important to remember that success in rookie ball may not mean a dang thing.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Quote:
So that gives you the right to accuse someone of steroids without a shred of evidence? many of the games known juicers have had there name come up in the course of the steroid investigations, but never once has Giles name been linked.

I didn't accuse anyone of anything. Just admitting that when I saw Giles' name the first thought in my head was steriods. My brain apologizes for the Rorshach reaction.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I was excited when I got home and saw a Caleb Gindl thread had a bunch of responses, then very disappointed when it was a steroid discussion. Can't we keep this out of the minor league forum (except when applicable to a specific player)?

Patrick referenced Brian Giles after we drafted Caleb, and I'm happy with that comp. Caleb is one of my favorite players in the organization, and I hope to see him sometime this summer. I was gushing over Corey Hart 7 years ago, and Caleb seems to be the opposite version of Corey in stature, yet similar in prospect status.

I can't wait to follow him.

I got a good look up close at Caleb tonight, even though he didn't play. When I didn't see him during warm ups I thought that maybe he had been called up (not that I think he is ready for that).

I am 6'2", 210, and compared to me he is short however he has a big upper body and chest and good sized arms, very stout kid. He also appears mature for a young guy. I know that Steve Wendt, H-Brewers broadcaster thinks very highly of him and his love and knowledge of baseball.

When talking of power hitters I don't see him as the "classic" 35 HR, 100 RBI, 150 K type of hitter. He has a more compact swing and good plate disipline. Although he gets the bat on the ball and hits it hard. Maybe a 20 HR, 80 - 90 RBI, 300 AVG with a bunch of doubles guy.

Hes been fun to watch, I look forward to seeing him tomorrow night.

When I think of short power hitters, the guy that comes to mind is the Toy Cannon, Jimmy Wynn, who had a zillion walks in addition to some power and speed. (He was a bit before my time, and even had a brief time in a Brewers uniform.) Ron Cey was like 5' 10" and had some pop as well. So it's not unheard of to see short guys who can hit....nice to see the Brewers scouting dept find these guys, and we'll see how he develops.

Archived