Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Games of Saturday, May 22nd

Shucks, not a perfect minor league day..

Final: Lake Elsinore (Padres) 5, High Desert 4, 12 innings

Time_4:23. Attendance_6294 -- wow...

High Desert Box Score:

Teams combined to leave an incredible 33 men on base; 27 combined hits, only three for extra bases; in addition to the 27 hits, the teams combined for 16 walks and a HBP; their must have been high drama in this one...

www.sportsnetwork.com/mer...MEID=18953

High Desert Game Log:

Where can you possibly begin with this game log? Baserunners everywhere -- sombody needed to hit a bases-clearing something!

www.sportsnetwork.com/mer...MEID=18953

Indianapolis Post-Game Notes:

Travis Phelps threw 4.2 innings of no-hit baseball Saturday night before Durham delivered five runs in the seventh inning as the Indianapolis Indians knocked off the Bulls, 7-5. The Tribe offense produced eight timely hits, including home runs from Jeff Liefer (8) and Jon Nunnally (6).

Indianapolis improves to 23-17, Durham falls to 23-18. Both clubs left four runners on base.

QUOTES:

Indians starting pitcher Travis Phelps:

"I had a good game plan tonight," said Phelps. "I was in a good tempo most of the night. It was important to shut them down early. They hit some good pitches in the seventh inning. I am gradually getting my endurance and strength back."

Tribe third baseman Luis Figueroa on his hitting streak:

"I am working hard every day," said Figueroa. "The guys were really focused a little more tonight. We had good swings and good pitches."

Tribe designated hitter Brandon Gemoll on his first appearance as an Indian:

"I definitely had the jitters," said Gemoll. "I was more nervous during batting practice. Once the game started, I settled in. This is a beautiful stadium with lots of fans and I?m glad that I started off well."

Tribe right fielder Jon Nunnally on home run:

"I put a good swing on it and the bull jumped out," said Nunnally. "I don?t really pay much attention to the stats. I just go out and hope that we win. This is not a sprint."

Indians left fielder Chris Magruder:

"We went out tonight and swung the bats well," said Magruder. "We had a couple of good swings tonight."

Indians first baseman Jeff Liefer is congratulated by third-base coach Bobby Randall after leading off the second inning with a home run. -- Steve Healey / The Indianapolis Star

http://www.indystar.com/images/pics2/image-148932-1704.jpg

WEST DIVISION W L PCT GB [b]INDIANAPOLIS INDIANS (MILWAUKEE) 23 17 .575[/b] COLUMBUS CLIPPERS (NEW YORK YANKEES) 21 19 .525 2.0 TOLEDO MUD HENS (DETROIT) 22 22 .500 3.0 LOUISVILLE BATS (CINCINNATI) 19 23 .452 5.0

WEST DIVISION W L PCT GB WEST TENN DIAMOND JAXX (CHICAGO CUBS) 24 18 .571 [b]HUNTSVILLE STARS (MILWAUKEE) 23 20 .535 1.5[/b] BIRMINGHAM BARONS (CHICAGO WHITE SOX) 22 20 .524 2.0 MOBILE BAY BEARS (SAN DIEGO) 22 21 .512 2.5 MONTGOMERY BISCUITS (TAMPA BAY) 17 26 .395 7.5

SOUTH DIVISION W L PCT GB INLAND EMPIRE 66ERS (SEATTLE) 27 16 .628 LAKE ELSINORE STORM (SAN DIEGO) 24 17 .585 2.0 LANCASTER JETHAWKS (ARIZONA) 22 19 .537 4.0 RANCHO CUCAMONGA QUAKES (ANAHEIM) 19 22 .463 7.0 [b]HIGH DESERT MAVERICKS (MILWAUKEE) 16 27 .372 11.0[/b]

WESTERN DIVISION W L PCT GB KANE COUNTY COUGARS (OAKLAND) 26 15 .634 CLINTON LUMBER KINGS (TEXAS) 24 18 .571 2.5 PEORIA CHIEFS (ST.LOUIS) 23 18 .561 3.0 CEDAR RAPIDS KERNELS (ANAHEIM) 23 18 .561 3.0 [b]BELOIT SNAPPERS (MILWAUKEE) 23 18 .561 3.0[/b] WISCONSIN TIMBER RATTLERS (SEATTLE) 19 23 .452 7.5 QUAD CITY RIVER BANDITS (MINNESOTA) 18 22 .450 7.5 BURLINGTON BEES (KANSAS CITY) 14 28 .333 12.5

The Snappers can't seem to gain any ground, despite seven wins in a row...

Can someone explain to me how they determine whether or not there is a DH in AAA games? I thought it was determined by where the game was played, NL affiliates the pitchers hit, AL affiliates there is a DH.

Obviously by looking at last night's Indy boxscore and seeing Brandon Gemoll as DH, this isn't the case. Does anyone know how they determine if there is a DH or not?

The only time a DH is not used is when both affiliates are National League teams.

With only two A.L. affiliated teams in the Southern League, Huntsville rarely gets to use a DH.

So a team like Durham (AAA Tampa Bay) never sees its pitchers bat.

And of course, below AA, pitchers don't bat at all.

Archived