Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Games of Sunday, May 23rd

It was discouraging to see a former 2nd round pick hitting in the ninth hole. Murray seemed to be very solid in the field, but I didn't see much from him at the plate. Lou seemed to really take his hitting seriously. He was the only one out of the dugout watching the pitcher warm up before game #2 and happened to be the first one to tag him with a hit and a run.

Huntsville Times Game Story:

Prince no longer pauper at

Fielder's homer ends slump, gives Stars victory[/i]

By BROOKE MILAM

Huntsville Stars fans have learned to put down their peanuts and Cracker Jacks when Prince Fielder steps to the plate.

"Hopefully I can keep making them pay attention," he said.

He gave the crowd of 1,569 something to watch Sunday afternoon at Joe Davis Stadium. Fielder's two-run homer in the fourth inning gave the Stars their first lead in a 6-1 win over the Jacksonville Suns.

The son of former major-leaguer Cecil Fielder, the Stars first baseman has driven in 33 runs and hit 10 home runs this season, tying him for third in the league.

But after earning Southern League Hitter of the Week honors for April 30-May 6, Fielder fell into a slump and was 3-for-40 in the last 10 games before Sunday.

"It was mostly mental. I wasn't feeling good at the plate and I was thinking too much," Fielder said. "I feel better up there now. That doesn't mean I'll get a hit, but I feel good."

Nelson Castro homered for the Suns in the first inning, before Fielder's shot knocked in Tony Gwynn Jr. Brad Nelson added another run in the fourth for the Stars against Suns starter Randy Leek.

"Prince got a good hitting count and drove it into the speaker stand," Stars manager Frank Kremblas said. "But their starter did a good job early, getting the ball down and getting the umpire down there with him."

Fielder, 20, is the youngest player on the Huntsville roster.

"One thing to remember is we aren't talking about a bunch of veterans here, these are some young guys," Kremblas said. "They are still learning and they know I understand that."

The Stars (24-20) broke the game open in the sixth with three more runs. Chris Barnwell and Joel Alvarado scored when Paul Stewart reached on an error before Johnny Raburn drove in the Stars' final run.

Jeff Housman (1-2) earned the win for the Stars, striking out four while giving up three hits and a run. Housman went six innings before being relieved by Stewart.

Leek (1-3) took the loss for Jacksonville (23-21).

The Stars also bid a fond farewell to the current scoreboard that was to be taken down following the game. Manual scoring will be used for the series' remaining games before the unveiling of the new scoreboard.

The Stars have outscored the Suns 16-2 in the first two games and own a four-game winning streak as the series continues tonight at 7:05.

Community Moderator

Great games as we nearly pulled out a win in game two. We had a nice rally in the bottom of the 6th. Bases loaded and I believe one out...Moss with an RBI hbp, 2 outs with Moss on 3rd and Deevers pinch running for Corp at 1st...couldn't get Stevie in.

The pitcher in game 2 for BC was the smallest pitcher I have ever seen. Sidenote: he won pitcher of the week award in the MWL. The website has him listed as 6-0, 155 but that is not even close. When Guilder Rodriguez TOWERS over you, you are not 6 feet tall. The site lists Guilder at 6'1" which is funny...more like 5'10". I would say this guy was about 5'8" to 5'9". His delivery was weird as well...very slow and deliberate and not a lot of push from his leg...mostly upper body and arm strength for velocity. Nice curve though. Funny as BC also has another pitcher listed at 5'7", 170.

As cress mentioned, Vinny made a great catch in left on a slicing ball from a left handed hitter....added a dive and roll...nice.

Lou's two homeruns were impressive. First one was to right field with a wind blowing strong to left. Second one (the Culvers ice cream shot) bounced off the top of the sign in left center. He's finally pulling some.

Truffles may be the fastest player I have ever seen. The guy did a sacrifice bunt down the first base line and beat it out. On a sacrifice. Impressive.

I don't know what Vinny has to do to move on. He clubs everything. All his outs were shots to deep left, center. Only reason I see is without Vinny where is our offense. Maybe a high draft pick will start out here to bump him up as his hitting level and age make him prime to move on.

Costly error by Ramirez at first in game 2. The ball rolled under his glove and the runner ended up scoring the eventual winning run a bit later.

Pena didn't have his best stuff. He wasn't bad by any means. Only 3 earned and those on homeruns a 2 run job by Duncan in the 1st and a towering shot by Santos that went OVER the scoreboard in center. Pena also picked off a runner at first with a nice move.

Durost looked great. Had a few bouts of wildness where he couldn't find the zone but after settling down and some key defense steamrolled the Yankees.

My player to watch is going to be Adam Heether. The guy is great at 3rd, strong arm....I believe the 1380 broadcast mentioned he leads the team in doubles with 12 so come on Adam. We really need a 3rd base prospect and no one is stopping you.

Fun times...I encourage all to get out to Beloit.

Michael

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

Archived