Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Games of Sunday, May 23rd

Sunday's Daily Menu: As usual for a Sunday, nearly all the action, except for the High Desert late innings and perhaps a portion of Game Two of the Beloit doubleheader, is up against the Crew; friends and families of players, enjoy the links below!

All times Central; pitchers subject to change; pre-game audio begins approx. 15 minutes prior to game time listed...

INDIANAPOLIS: RHP Ben Hendrickson at home vs. Durham (Devil Rays), 2:00 PM

Audio link:

www.newstalk1430.com/

Alternate audio link (Bulls' feed):

www.sportsjuice.com/provi...ame=dbulls

HUNTSVILLE: LHP Jeff Housman at home vs. Jacksonville (Dodgers), 2:05 PM; get Jeff some run support!

Audio link:

www.espn1450.com/

HIGH DESERT: RHP Bo Hall at Lake Elsinore (Padres), 4:05 PM

Audio link:

www.hdmavs.com/listen_live.htm

BELOIT: RHP Kenny Durost and RHP Luis Pena at home in a twinbill vs. Battle Creek (Yankees), 1:00 PM; rain, rain go away!

Audio link (Yankees' feed):

www.battlecreekyankees.com/

Couple of notes / thoughts:

If you're driving around or in the stands at Beloit today, it is a scheduled local radio day for ESPN Radio 1380 ?The Jock? (WTJK AM) to have coverage. With the newly scheduled doubleheader, I'd imagine they'll call both games...

Do the Mavericks drive home from Lake Elsinore even after a night game when a day game is scheduled the following day? After that extra-long affair last night, here's hoping the boys got some local hotel convenience...

Brad Nelson sure is making a fine charge at Ozzie Chavez for Organizational Player of the Month honors with a week to go; trying to think which pitcher has really stood out this month -- for rock-solid consistency, Beloit's RHP Luis Pena comes to mind; Pena must be approaching Power 50 range, I would think...

not sure if anyone is listening to the Stars game, but prince has a 2 run homer. 1-4 overall, last at bat just missed another, a high deep shot that was called foul, but it was real close and a tough call because of how high it was over the fou pole.

HTM, I have to disagree for two reasons. First, IMHO, comparisons of young junkballers to Jamie Moyer should be banned. Jamie Moyer is a rare case of success without any of the usual gifts that help pitchers break out. For every pitcher that turns out to be Jamie Moyer, 100 more are compared to Jamie Moyer and end up sucking. No good can come of it.

Second, and more important, Housman ain't looking like a Jamie Moyer-type pitcher. I don't know what he's throwing, but he's getting strikeouts with it -- 45 in 40.1 innings entering action today, and I doubt that ratio got much worse in this latest game. Junkballers don't do that. Can someone please tell us what Housman is throwing this year that he wasn't throwing last year?

Greg.

Community Moderator

Snappers win 11-1 in the first game, lose 5-4 in the 2nd

Lou P with 2 bombs on the day....more to come later.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

Here is to hoping that this is the first of many good games for E. Cruz to get some of that confidence back and return to AA by the end of the year.

Cap't Lou and Rottino continue to hit game in and game out. Catch them while you can folks I'm hoping they're both in High Desert in a month.

Great to see Nelson continue to hit. It would be great if he can stay hot for the season.

Crabbe could turn into a pretty nice prospect if he can keep his errors to a minimum and stay consistent at the plate.

Very nice start by Durost in Beloit game 1. Could he be someone with a chance to get over the hump? He's 22 at A ball, and even with last year's bad debut at Helena (5.28 ERA, 1.62 WHIP) he did something right (2.62 K/BB). This year he's striking out more than a batter an inning, giving up less than a hit an inning, and has no unearned runs to undercut his solid 3.58 ERA His only weakness, a big one, is control (18 walks in 32.2 IP). Middling numbers, small sample, etc., but I'm just wondering if our brain trust has seen any reason to like him or to dismiss him in the past.

Greg.

Unfortunately, although all 5 teams won, I don't think we can classify this as an "organizational sweep" because of the Beloit loss.

Very close. Let's try to get a couple before Rookie ball starts up, making the feat even more difficult.

MJC

Final: Indianapolis 8, Durham (Devil Rays) 4

Indianapolis Post-Game Notes:

Jeff Liefer smacked two home runs, Luis Figueroa homered and drove in four runs and Ben Hendrickson (4-2) pitched 6.2 solid innings as the Indians defeated Durham Sunday afternoon, 8-4.

Indianapolis continues to lead the IL West Division with a 24-17 record. Durham drops to 23-19. The Tribe is now 5-2 on the homestand, with the final game to be played Monday night against Durham. Overall, Indianapolis has posted a 13-9 record at Victory Field this season and owns a 11-11 record in May.

TRIBE HIT PARADE:

Jeff Liefer, 3-3, 2 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI

Luis Figueroa, 3-4, R, HR, 4 RBI

Brnadon Gemoll, 1-4, 2 R, 2B, SO

TRIBE HILL TOPPERS:

Ben Hendrickson (4-2), 6.2 IP, 10 H, R, BB, 6 SO

Chris Michalak, 1.1 IP, H, R, 2 SO

Todd Erdos, 1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, BB, SO

QUOTES:

Indians pitcher Ben Hendrickson on his performance:

"They made some hits early on in the game, but I didn?t let it bother me," said Hendrickson. "I was making my pitches and our guys provided good offense today. I just wanted to go in there and get the lead for the team."

Tribe catcher Mark Johnson on Hendrickson?s start:

"Ben did a great job changing speeds in hitter?s counts," said Johnson. "He got ahead of hitters today that helped him get the job done."

Tribe third baseman Luis Figueroa on hitting streak and first home run of year:

"I just feel comfortable," said Figueroa. "Everything that I am putting into practice, I am putting into the game. On the home run, I put a good swing on the ball, that?s all."

Jeff Liefer, Indians first baseman on winning today?s game:

"I am kind of a streaky hitter and I hope to continue this as long as I can," said Liefer. "I?ve won two championship rings at the Triple-A level. This club is a lot like Durham?s team from last year in that we have a mix of veterans and some young guys. It?s good to have a veteran presence.

NOTES:

Luis Figueroa has hit safely in 15 of his last 16 games. He has a team-high 10-game hitting streak.

Jeff Liefer has hit four home runs in the last seven games. All 10 of Liefer?s homers this year have been at Victory Field.

Jon Nunnally?s streak of reaching base consecutively for 13 home games ended today.

Indianapolis Box Score:

Wow, talk about limiting the damage -- Ben Hendrickson did just that; Ben's ERA is 2.12 after his first 46.2 AAA innings pitched...

GAME DATE: 5/23/04 DUR at IND DURHAM 4 AT INDIANAPOLIS 8 YTD YTD DURHAM AB R H BI AVG INDIANAPOLIS AB R H BI AVG J.Maxwell 2B 5 1 3 0 .262 R.Knox CF 4 1 0 0 .230 B.Upton SS 5 1 3 0 .364 M.Erickson SS 4 0 1 0 .216 M.Diaz RF 5 0 1 1 .297 C.Magruder LF 3 0 0 0 .285 F.McGriff DH 3 0 0 0 .154 J.Liefer 1B 3 2 3 3 .324 J.Cantu 3B 5 1 3 2 .279 J.Nunnally RF 4 0 0 0 .267 M.Cummings LF 5 0 1 1 .341 S.Scarbrough 2B 3 1 1 0 .227 P.LaForest CAT 4 0 0 0 .182 B.Gemoll DH 4 2 1 0 .375 E.Guzman 1B 4 1 1 0 .215 M.Johnson CAT 2 1 1 0 .247 C.Gipson CF 4 0 2 0 .321 L.Figueroa 3B 4 1 3 4 .297 J.Gonzalez PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 B.Hendrckson PIT 0 0 0 0 .286 M.Holtz PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 C.Michalak PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 B.Fortunato PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 T.Erdos PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 TOTALS 40 4 14 4 TOTALS 31 8 10 7 DURHAM 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 2- 4 14 3 INDIANAPOLIS 0 2 0 2 0 1 3 0 X- 8 10 1 E--J.Maxwell, P.LaForest, J.Gonzalez, S.Scarbrough. DP--DURHAM 0, INDIANAPOLIS 0. LOB--DURHAM 11, INDIANAPOLIS 5. 2B--B.Upton (3), J.Cantu (10), B.Gemoll (1). 3B--J.Cantu (1). HR--J.Liefer 2 (10), L.Figueroa (1). SF--J.Liefer. YTD IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA DURHAM J.Gonzalez (L,0-1) 6.0 7 5 4 2 2 2 6.00 M.Holtz 0.2 3 3 3 2 1 1 4.00 B.Fortunato 1.1 0 0 0 1 2 0 3.38 INDIANAPOLIS B.Hendrckson (W,4-2) 6.2 10 1 1 1 6 0 2.12 C.Michalak 1.1 1 1 1 0 2 0 5.60 T.Erdos 1.0 3 2 2 1 1 0 6.59 WP--J.Gonzalez. SO--J.Maxwell 2, B.Upton 2, M.Diaz 2, F.McGriff, M.Cummings, P.LaForest, R.Knox, M.Erickson, J.Nunnally 2, B.Gemoll. BB--F.McGriff 2, R.Knox, C.Magruder, S.Scarbrough, M.Johnson 2. T--2:22. A--6934

Indianapolis Game Log:

www.sportsnetwork.com/mer...MEID=14132

Final: Huntsville 6, Jacksonville (Dodgers) 1

Huntsville Site Game Summary:

For the second straight day, Huntsville put it all together. After a convincing 10-1 win the night before, timely hitting and solid pitching led the Stars (24-20) past Jacksonville (23-21), 6-1, on Sunday afternoon at Joe Davis Stadium. Huntsville has won four straight games and remains 1 ½ games behind West Tenn in the Southern League West standings.

Stars starter Jeff Housman finally recorded his first win in his fifth straight quality start. Over his last five outings, Housman has surrendered two runs or less, and Sunday he permitted just one run on three hits and two walks while fanning four over six innings. After giving up Nelson Castro?s first-inning homer, Housman (1-2) allowed only two more hits, both singles, retiring 11 of the last 12 hitters and eight in a row to complete six frames.

Prince Fielder, battling through a 3-for-40 (.075) slump entering the game, homered for the first time since May 4, a two-run shot to dead-center that put Huntsville up, 2-1, in the fourth. Later in the inning, Chris Barnwell?s sacrifice fly made it 3-1, and the Stars? three-run seventh sealed the game. After Barnwell and Joel Alvarado led off with singles, pitcher Paul Stewart laid down a one-out bunt. Pitcher Elvin Nina threw the ball up the leftfield line for an error, scoring both Barnwell and Alvarado and sending Stewart to third. Johnny Raburn?s run-scoring single gave the Stars a 6-1 lead.

Randy Leek (1-3) suffered his third loss, allowing three runs on three hits and one walk with four strikeouts in six innings. Stewart notched his second save, fanning three while permitting just one walk over three scoreless frames.

The Stars and Suns continue the series Monday night at 7:05 p.m., with Huntsville righty Chris Saenz (3-2, 4.58) meeting Jacksonville lefty Derek Thompson (1-2, 2.76) at Joe Davis Stadium.

David Weiser's www.starsboxscore.com Huntsville update:

GOODBYE TO OLD BLUE

At 4:29 pm, the scoreboard read two balls and two strikes on Nick Alvarez as his stat line appeared below the line score. It was the last thing Stars fans saw on the old scoreboard before he hit into a force play to end the game........ Monday morning at 6:30 AM, a crew will arrive with a crane as they begin dismantling, piece by piece, every bit of old blue....... There's no telling how much of it will actually come down by the time Game Three of this series begins tomorrow night......... Four trucks will converge on the back end of the stadium during the course of the day or the week, carrying elements of the new scoreboard. In the meantime, GM Bryan Dingo tells me, a temporary old-fashioned manual scoreboard, operated by two people, will be in place in the bleacher section where the Home Depot Party Deck is........

The Stars will have the triple fortune of having not only a new scoreboard for fans to feast their eyes on, but the schoolkids in the county will also be out for the summer, and it's fireworks night, which generally attracts the largest crowds of the season....... 10,000 is not far-fetched, even with the new, more conservative head counts they've adopted this year.

I don't know what kind of team Jacksonville had when they started the season with seven straight victories, but they looked today like the kind of team that would lose 11 of their last 14 ballgames........ Until Paul Stewart walked Willie Aybar in the 9th, Jacksonville hadn't had a baserunner since the 4th --- 14 straight batters set down........ Paul polished off Brennan King and Derek Michaelis on strikeouts, then got the force play to end the game....... Outside of the first three inning, the Suns looked inept and impotent.

The Suns had their chances early....... Jeff Housman expended 60 pitches to get through the first three innings. He went deep on two of the four hitters he faced in the 1st, including Nelson Castro, who homered over the first wall in center field near the 405 mark....... 25 pitches in the 2nd as Housman faced a situation with one out and runners on second and third, then battled Tony Socarras before getting him to ground out on the 7th pitch to get the 2nd out........ 15 more as he gave up a single to Castro and walked struggling top prospect James Loney with one out....... Housman has struggled through the early innings all season. Opposing hitters are 26-for-80 (.325) in the first two innings off him to date........ Castro's hit, though, would be the last and it would be the last threat the Suns would ever mount........ The Suns managed only two more runners the rest of the game, one of whom (Alvarez) was hit by a pitch, in what appeared to be the continuing knockdown war between these two teams. (Jacksonville pitchers hit seven Stars batters in the May 6-9 series at The Baseball Grounds.)....... Housman finished strong, throwing just 31 pitches, 22 for strikes in his final three innings.

His run support was his May average of three runs per game, but it was certaily enough, as the Stars locked the win, getting three more for Paul Stewart........ Last year, Housman won three games in his eight starts...... Finally after nine starts this year, he wins his first game....... That's not a knock. It was just a combination of a bad April, pitch limits and lack of run support in May when he was pitching well........ Housman did not get charged for three of the four games the Stars lost this month prior to today, but they had only scored six runs in the 18 innings he worked, and three in the game the Stars won against Mobile in the late innings............ But after five May starts, he has actually been brilliant, owner of a 1.86 ERA, 49 Ks and 12 walks in 46 1/3 innings.

Randy Leek did not give up a hit in this fast, two hour, five minute game, until the 4th inning when Tony Gwynn led off with a single to right....... Leek went to a dangerous 3-1 count on slumping Prince Fielder (four hits in his last 45 at-bats), who, looking for his pitch, drove his first homer since May 4 to dead center, hitting the top of the wall and bouncing over to put the Stars on top, 2-0......... Next, Brad Nelson lofted a long fly ball to right that looked like the first out, but Derek Michaelis, looking at a bright sky without his shades, lost the ball in the sun near the track, giving Nelson his 10th double of the month....... Nelson is actually the last Huntsville Star to hit 10 or more doubles in a month when he closed out the last month of the 2003 season with 10........ A pair of sac flies followed, and the Stars had a 3-0 lead........ The last one came from Chris Barnwell, who is making the most of his .213 average. He drove in his 22nd run, 3rd among club leaders.

Eight men faced reliever Elvin Nina in the 7th inning, as Huntsville doubled their run total........ Barnwell and Joel Alvarado led off with singles. For Joel, his single up the middle snapped an 0-for-20 slump....... With Paul Stewart at the plate and one out, the Suns were drawn in, expecting the bunt, and Stew laid one down a little too quick to Nina. Nina threw to third, or at least in that direction, for the ball sailed off the retaining wall and toward the bullpen. Both runners scored and Stewart ended up on third....... Johnny Raburn then singled on a 2-1 pitch under the glove of a diving Nelson Castro, scoring Stewart with the Stars' final run.......

Fielder came within a few feet of making this a 9-1 game when he hit a 2-2 pitch deep to right field, foul by just, I guess, six feet, hitting the top of a blue wall that buffers the groundskeeper's storage area, but he struck out swinging on the next pitch. Nina then fanned Brad Nelson on a 1-2 pitch to end the inning...... Barnwell also narrowly missed a home run in the 2nd inning when he got a hold of a hanging curve and yanked it just a few feet to the left of the 345-ft. mark.

Monday, Chris Saenz (3-2, 4.58) will start for Huntsville against Derek Thompson (1-2, 2.76), tied for 10th among Southern League ERA leaders with teammate Glenn Bott........ Jacksonville, with one of the toughest pitching squads for three years running, leads the league in ERA, has four pitchers among the top ten.

Johnny Raburn had what looked to be the game's only double play in the second inning when he tagged Nick Alvarez coming towards him on Tony Socarras' grounder. The out was made at first, but the ump caught Raburn tagging him with his glove with the ball, just removed, in his throwing hand....... No warning came from the umps when Jeff Housman retaliated in the 4th inning for Jason Belcher being hit in the 2nd inning on the right forearm, by decking Derek Michaelis with a first-pitch fastball up and in....... So far in what is to be an eight-game season series, eight Stars and three Suns have been plunked.

Paul Stewart made his 8th relief appearance this month....... He's been magnificent and really doesn't belong in this level at all. He's given up just one earned run in 19 1/3 innings in May --- a 0.47 ERA, best May since Matt Parker last year tossed 18 2/3 innings without giving up an earned run...... Tony Gwynn singled to left-center in the 7th inning to run his hitting streak to 7 games. He's also hit .360 in safely hitting in 11 of his last 12....... With Stewart's save, the Stars are one shy of recording their 700th in their history. They won their 1,400th game, Saturday night....... The Stars are also 44 strikeouts shy of 17,000 in their 20-year history and 45 away from hitting their 2,000th home run.

Huntsville Box Score:

Rickie Weeks misses another game with his foot injury...

GAME DATE: 5/23/04 JAX at HVL JACKSONVILLE 1 AT HUNTSVILLE 6 YTD YTD JACKSONVILLE AB R H BI AVG HUNTSVILLE AB R H BI AVG R.Abercrombi CF 4 0 0 0 .120 J.Raburn 2B 4 0 1 1 .253 N.Castro SS 4 1 2 1 .280 A.Gwynn CF 3 1 1 0 .254 J.Loney 1B 3 0 0 0 .203 P.Fielder 1B 4 1 1 2 .257 W.Aybar 2B 3 0 0 0 .283 B.Nelson LF 4 1 1 0 .285 B.King 3B 4 0 0 0 .279 J.Belcher RF 3 0 0 0 .287 D.Michaelis RF 4 0 1 0 .270 C.Barnwell 3B 3 1 1 1 .213 N.Alvarez LF 2 0 0 0 .269 J.Alvarado CAT 4 1 1 0 .174 T.Socarras CAT 3 0 0 0 .216 O.Chavez SS 3 0 0 0 .167 R.Leek PIT 2 0 0 0 .125 J.Housman PIT 1 0 0 0 .300 W.Ruan PH 1 0 0 0 .193 P.Stewart PIT 0 1 0 0 .000 E.Nina PIT 0 0 0 0 .333 B.Steffek PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 TOTALS 30 1 3 1 TOTALS 29 6 6 4 JACKSONVILLE 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0- 1 3 2 HUNTSVILLE 0 0 0 3 0 0 3 0 X- 6 6 0 E--J.Loney, E.Nina. DP--JACKSONVILLE 0, HUNTSVILLE 0. LOB--JACKSONVILLE 6, HUNTSVILLE 4. 2B--B.Nelson (14). HR--N.Castro (6), P.Fielder (10). CS--B.Nelson. HBP--N.Alvarez, J.Belcher. SF--C.Barnwell. SH--P.Stewart. YTD IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA JACKSONVILLE R.Leek (L,1-3) 6.0 3 3 3 1 4 1 5.13 E.Nina 1.0 3 3 1 1 2 0 3.74 B.Steffek 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3.60 HUNTSVILLE J.Housman (W,1-2) 6.0 3 1 1 2 4 1 3.11 P.Stewart (S,2) 3.0 0 0 0 1 3 0 2.38 HB--R.Leek, J.Housman. WP--E.Nina. SO--R.Abercrombi, B.King, D.Michaelis 2, T.Socarras, R.Leek, W.Ruan, J.Raburn, P.Fielder, B.Nelson, C.Barnwell, J.Alvarado, O.Chavez. BB--J.Loney, W.Aybar, N.Alvarez, A.Gwynn, J.Housman. T--2:16. A--1569

Huntsville Game Log:

www.sportsnetwork.com/mer...MEID=11981

Final: High Desert 9, Lake Elsinore (Padres) 7

High Desert Game Coverage:

From the Storm's local paper, the North County Times...

Mavs roll a '7' in sixth for win

By: SHAWN HOBSON - For The Californian

LAKE ELSINORE--The High Desert Mavericks terrorized the basepaths with seven runs in the sixth inning en route to a 9-7 victory at The Diamond on Sunday, snapping the Storm's four-game winning streak.

The Storm held a comfortable 7-1 lead before 13 batters came to the plate in the sixth inning for the Mavericks. All seven High Desert runs scored with two outs.

Wilmer Villatoro relieved Storm starting pitcher Gabe Ribas, who had just thrown 102 pitches, in the middle of the sixth and promptly struggled.

"What do you think happened?" Storm manager Rick Renteria said about the sixth-inning breakdown. "We threw a lot of balls. 'Villa' came in there with two outs with a runner on first and second, and he just wasn't very effective. He was out of the zone."

Villatoro walked three batters and gave up one hit, allowing four earned runs.

"That's a pretty good lead to work with," Renteria said. "The most important thing they have to remember is that they have to throw strikes. They get a little excited. 'Villa' was trying to do a lot instead of just trying to stay within himself."

After Villatoro failed to get any of the five batters he faced out, Kevin Beavers relieved him with bases loaded. The first batter Beavers faced, Troy Farnsworth, hit a three-run double. The Mavericks (17-27) scored the go-ahead run and led, 8-7, at that point. Beavers (0-1) took the loss.

With the win, the Mavericks snapped an eight-game road losing streak.

"All I know is we were losing. I don't know if it was home or on the road, they were losses," Mavericks manager Mel Queen said. "It feels good to win whether you're home or on the road.

"We were able to win today because of their pitchers inability to throw strikes, which has plagued us a lot. This time it was our turn to be the beneficiary of the base on balls. Plus, we got some timely hitting, which we didn't get yesterday."

The Storm (24-18), who beat the Mavericks, 5-4, in 12 innings Saturday night, lead the season series with the High Desert, 8-5. Lake Elsinore appeared on cruise control and destined to clinch its fifth consecutive series before the ghastly sixth inning.

The Storm led 3-1 after four innings before bashing out four more runs in the fifth inning, shooting ahead 7-1. Lake Elsinore sent nine batters to the plate in the fifth. Michael Johnson walked and scored on a bases loaded walk thrown by High Desert reliever Eric Henderson (2-3). Luke Carlin walked and scored on a two-run double hit by Luis Cruz.

Cruz was 2-for-5 with three RBIs for the Storm. Paul McAnulty went 3-for-5, improving his batting average to .330.

High Desert Box Score:

Six doubles among 15 base hits for the Mavs; for everything the newspaper account above says, High Desert pitchers still issued more walks than their counterparts, 8-5...

GAME DATE: 5/23/04 HD at LKE HIGH DESERT 9 AT LAKE ELSINORE 7 YTD YTD HIGH DESERT AB R H BI AVG LAKE ELSINORE AB R H BI AVG K.Bibbs CF 5 1 1 0 .296 M.Nettles LF 4 2 1 0 .250 C.Crabbe 2B 6 1 3 1 .285 L.Cruz SS 5 0 2 3 .316 D.Boyd LF 3 1 0 0 .278 P.McAnulty DH 5 1 3 1 .317 T.Hinton 1B 4 1 1 1 .307 S.Baker CF 5 0 1 0 .301 J.Vanden ber CAT 4 1 1 1 .320 M.Johnson 1B 3 1 1 1 .214 T.Farnsworth 3B 5 2 2 3 .167 J.Carter RF 4 1 1 0 .273 S.Candelaria RF 4 0 1 0 .240 K.Jacobo 3B 3 0 0 0 .235 P.Rasmusen DH 5 1 3 2 .176 L.Carlin CAT 4 1 0 1 .344 E.Cruz SS 5 1 3 1 .357 B.Burgamy 2B 3 1 1 1 .278 B.Hall PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 J.Lima 2B 2 0 0 0 .213 E.Henderson PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 G.Ribas PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 D.Bradley PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 W.Villatoro PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 K.Beavers PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 N.Sevier PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 TOTALS 41 9 15 9 TOTALS 38 7 10 7 HIGH DESERT 0 0 0 1 0 7 0 0 1- 9 15 3 LAKE ELSINORE 1 0 1 1 4 0 0 0 0- 7 10 1 E--T.Hinton, J.Vanden ber, E.Cruz, B.Burgamy. DP--HIGH DESERT 1, LAKE ELSINORE 0. LOB--HIGH DESERT 11, LAKE ELSINORE 12. 2B--K.Bibbs (5), T.Farnsworth 2 (2), P.Rasmusen 2 (3), E.Cruz (1), L.Cruz 2 (11), M.Johnson (7). SB--M.Nettles (8). HBP--D.Boyd. YTD IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA HIGH DESERT B.Hall 3.0 4 2 2 2 1 0 6.75 E.Henderson (W,2-3) 4.0 6 5 5 5 3 0 6.89 D.Bradley (S,1) 2.0 0 0 0 1 3 0 3.63 LAKE ELSINORE G.Ribas 5.2 9 3 3 1 3 0 4.25 W.Villatoro 0.0 1 4 4 3 0 0 10.45 K.Beavers (L,0-1) 1.1 3 1 1 1 1 0 2.45 N.Sevier 2.0 2 1 1 0 1 0 3.52 HB--G.Ribas. WP--W.Villatoro. BALKS--E.Henderson. SO--K.Bibbs 2, C.Crabbe, D.Boyd, E.Cruz, P.McAnulty, J.Carter, K.Jacobo 2, L.Carlin 2, J.Lima. BB--K.Bibbs, D.Boyd, T.Hinton, J.Vanden ber, S.Candelaria, M.Nettles 2, M.Johnson 2, J.Carter, K.Jacobo 2, L.Carlin. T--3:16. A--6009

High Desert Game Log:

www.sportsnetwork.com/mer...MEID=18954

Final, Game One: Beloit 11, Battle Creek (Yankees) 1

Beloit Game One Box Score:

Nice to see SS Josh Murray back in the lineup, and on base twice...

GAME DATE: 5/23/04 BTC at BLT BATTLE CREEK 1 AT BELOIT 11 DH GAME #1 YTD YTD BATTLE CREEK AB R H BI AVG BELOIT AB R H BI AVG M.Cabrera CF 4 0 0 0 .344 G.Rodriguez 2B 4 2 3 1 .296 E.Andrus LF 4 0 2 0 .259 T.Trofholz CF 2 1 1 1 .289 E.Duncan 3B 3 0 0 0 .303 V.Rottino LF 4 2 2 2 .331 J.Urick 1B 2 0 0 0 .222 L.Palmisano DH 4 1 1 3 .324 W.Vasquez SS 3 1 1 0 .282 A.Heether 3B 4 0 2 2 .246 E.Cruz 2B 2 0 1 0 .222 T.Marks CAT 4 1 0 0 .203 E.Harris DH 3 0 1 1 .240 R.Deevers RF 4 1 1 0 .231 T.Rojas CAT 3 0 1 0 .234 M.Ramirez 1B 3 2 3 1 .256 B.Kartler RF 3 0 2 0 .193 J.Murray SS 2 1 1 1 .156 C.Wright PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 K.Durost PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 B.Harmsen PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 S.Beresford PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 H.Castle PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 M.Stetter PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 TOTALS 27 1 8 1 TOTALS 31 11 14 11 BATTLE CREEK 0 0 0 0 0 1 0- 1 8 1 BELOIT 2 3 1 0 0 5 X-11 14 0 E--E.Cruz. DP--BATTLE CREEK 1, BELOIT 2. LOB--BATTLE CREEK 7, BELOIT 5. 2B--A.Heether (12), M.Ramirez (6). HR--L.Palmisano (2). SB--G.Rodriguez (6), T.Trofholz (8), V.Rottino (1). HBP--J.Murray. SF--T.Trofholz. YTD IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA BATTLE CREEK C.Wright (L,4-4) 2.0 7 5 5 1 1 0 5.56 B.Harmsen 3.0 3 3 2 0 2 0 2.76 H.Castle 1.0 4 3 3 0 1 1 8.24 BELOIT K.Durost (W,3-3) 5.0 5 0 0 2 6 0 3.58 S.Beresford 1.0 3 1 1 0 1 0 4.81 M.Stetter 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4.32 HB--B.Harmsen. WP--B.Harmsen, S.Beresford. SO--E.Andrus, E.Duncan 2, J.Urick, W.Vasquez 2, E.Cruz, G.Rodriguez, L.Palmisano, R.Deevers 2. BB--J.Urick, E.Cruz, T.Trofholz. T--1:47.

Beloit Game One Game Log:

Just a huge offensive outburst squeezed into six innings...

www.sportsnetwork.com/mer...MEID=20743

Final, Game Two: Battle Creek (Yankees) 5, Beloit 4

Beloit Game Two Box Score:

Lou Palmisano DH'ing in both games; Tim Marks and Carlos Corporan share catching duties on the day...

GAME DATE: 5/23/04 BTC at BLT BATTLE CREEK 5 AT BELOIT 4 DH GAME #2 YTD YTD BATTLE CREEK AB R H BI AVG BELOIT AB R H BI AVG M.Cabrera CF 2 2 0 0 .344 G.Rodriguez 2B 4 0 1 0 .296 E.Andrus LF 3 0 1 1 .259 T.Trofholz RF 3 0 0 0 .289 E.Duncan 3B 3 1 1 2 .303 V.Rottino LF 4 1 1 0 .331 W.Vasquez 1B 3 0 1 1 .282 L.Palmisano DH 3 2 1 1 .324 H.Made SS 3 0 0 0 .267 A.Heether 3B 3 1 1 0 .246 E.Harris RF 3 0 1 0 .240 S.Moss CF 1 0 0 1 .135 J.Treadway RF 0 0 0 0 .194 M.Ramirez 1B 2 0 0 1 .256 P.Santos CAT 3 1 1 1 .227 C.Corporan CAT 3 0 2 1 .254 B.Kartler DH 2 1 0 0 .193 R.Deevers PR 0 0 0 0 .231 R.Rodriguez 2B 2 0 1 0 .242 T.Marks CAT 0 0 0 0 .203 A.Gomez PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 J.Murray SS 2 0 0 0 .156 M.Gardner PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 L.Pena PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 P.Thorp PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 T.Dillard PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 TOTALS 24 5 6 5 TOTALS 25 4 6 4 BATTLE CREEK 2 0 0 0 3 0 0- 5 6 0 BELOIT 0 0 0 1 0 3 0- 4 6 1 E--M.Ramirez. DP--BATTLE CREEK 0, BELOIT 0. LOB--BATTLE CREEK 3, BELOIT 6. HR--E.Duncan (8), P.Santos (1), L.Palmisano (2). CS-- E.Andrus. HBP--S.Moss. SF--M.Ramirez. SH--E.Andrus, R.Rodriguez, T.Trofholz. YTD IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA BATTLE CREEK A.Gomez (W,5-0) 5.1 3 3 3 3 7 1 2.49 M.Gardner 0.1 2 1 1 0 0 0 1.42 P.Thorp (S,10) 1.1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0.00 BELOIT L.Pena (L,4-1) 5.0 6 5 3 2 4 2 3.43 T.Dillard 2.0 0 0 0 1 1 0 3.95 HB--M.Gardner. SO--E.Duncan, W.Vasquez, E.Harris, B.Kartler, R.Rodriguez, G.Rodriguez, T.Trofholz 2, V.Rottino, L.Palmisano, S.Moss, M.Ramirez. BB--M.Cabrera 2, B.Kartler, L.Palmisano, S.Moss, J.Murray. T--1:58. A--1497

Beloit Game Two Game Log:

www.sportsnetwork.com/mer...MEID=12483

WEST DIVISION W L PCT GB [b]INDIANAPOLIS INDIANS (MILWAUKEE) 24 17 .585[/b] COLUMBUS CLIPPERS (NEW YORK YANKEES) 22 19 .537 2.0 TOLEDO MUD HENS (DETROIT) 22 23 .489 4.0 LOUISVILLE BATS (CINCINNATI) 19 24 .442 6.0

WEST DIVISION W L PCT GB WEST TENN DIAMOND JAXX (CHICAGO CUBS) 25 18 .581 [b]HUNTSVILLE STARS (MILWAUKEE) 24 20 .545 1.5[/b] BIRMINGHAM BARONS (CHICAGO WHITE SOX) 22 21 .512 3.0 MOBILE BAY BEARS (SAN DIEGO) 22 22 .500 3.5 MONTGOMERY BISCUITS (TAMPA BAY) 17 27 .386 8.5

SOUTH DIVISION W L PCT GB INLAND EMPIRE 66ERS (SEATTLE) 27 17 .614 LAKE ELSINORE STORM (SAN DIEGO) 24 18 .571 2.0 LANCASTER JETHAWKS (ARIZONA) 23 19 .548 3.0 RANCHO CUCAMONGA QUAKES (ANAHEIM) 19 23 .452 7.0 [b]HIGH DESERT MAVERICKS (MILWAUKEE) 17 27 .386 10.0[/b]

WESTERN DIVISION W L PCT GB KANE COUNTY COUGARS (OAKLAND) 26 16 .619 PEORIA CHIEFS (ST.LOUIS) 24 18 .571 2.0 CEDAR RAPIDS KERNELS (ANAHEIM) 24 18 .571 2.0 CLINTON LUMBER KINGS (TEXAS) 24 19 .558 2.5 [b]BELOIT SNAPPERS (MILWAUKEE) 24 19 .558 2.5[/b] WISCONSIN TIMBER RATTLERS (SEATTLE) 19 23 .452 7.0 QUAD CITY RIVER BANDITS (MINNESOTA) 18 23 .439 7.5 BURLINGTON BEES (KANSAS CITY) 14 29 .326 12.5

Thanks to Lou and company, my family got $15 worth of free Culver's Ice Cream! Lou hit his second home run off the Culver's sign. Rottino also had a great catch in left field. Pena looked so-so. The rest of the pitchers looked really good. Lou P. dh'ed both games.

Lou's power bat seems to be slowly warming up. He's already one of the top ten offensive player's in the league by EQA (Rottino is sitting just outside). Of course that niffty .420 OBP that features a lot of BA some HBP and more than ample walks helps alot, but his SLG is almost .450 which ain't bad for the Midwest League. Anybody else think Jason Kendall without the SBs is a good comp for Cap'n Lou?

Archived