Brewer Fanatic

April-May Transactions: Latest - RHP Matt Childers to DL

MassBrew

Here's an obscure name for all but the media guide diehards among us, but the Brewers apparently released RHP Nick Bates earlier this spring.

Bates' Brewer career consisted of all of one appearance (two innings) for the Arizona Brewers before he underwent surgery (elbow, I believe).

Here's what we wrote last summer:

Bates completed his Michigan State career in 2002, with a very nice senior year (9-3, 2.97 ERA, 7 CG, 30 BB and 100 K in 88 IP), and was Kansas City's 22nd round selection in the 2002 June draft, but apparently never signed with the Royals.

Earlier this year, Bates was pitching in relief in the independent Frontier League with Evansville. He was given his release there on June 20th, and signed with the Brewers shortly after that.

Not sure what the circumstances were that kept the Royals from coming to an agreement with Bates, but he's Brewer property now...

There was also a nice hometown "feel-good" article about his signing, but darn those links that now require archive fees. Sorry, the Brewerfan.net fund doesn't have the $5.00 http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/ohwell.gif . Have to remember to cut and paste when possible...

So not sure if Bates is healthy (he's 24 years old now, so he would have had to have shown enough to be let's say, High Desert worthy), but if he never throws another pitch for an affiliated minor league team, his career in that sense will be just that one game.

So good luck to Nick on the off chance he sees this...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seem that there are too many injuries to the pitchers. Many professional pitchers on other teams work there upper bodies and long toss is seems this is preventable excerise

One of the thinnest positions depth-wise in the Brewer chain took a hit today as High Desert third baseman Jeff Eure has been placed on the DL with a fracture of his left hamate bone. Eure had to leave a game in mid at-bat a couple of nights ago.

Eure had played in 37 of the Mavs' 38 games at 3B thus far. Only Jeremy Frost and Froilan Villanueva have seen action at 3B this year (one game apiece).

Eure, 24 this coming August, was the Brewers' 18th round pick in 2001. He shows occasional power, but still was struggling this season with a .643 OPS.

No subsequent move has been announced, but may we suggest a Vinny Rottino (five games at 3B with Beloit) experiment? Please?

We might get a quick response to the High Desert (or perhaps Huntsville) third base situation.

The Brewers purchased the contract today of infielder Troy Farnsworth from the independent Northern League's Sioux Falls Canaries.

Farnsworth is 28 years old; he was the Cardinals' 32nd round pick back in 1998, out of Brigham Young University. St. Louis let him go during his fifth year in their system, 2002. He finished up that year in high-A with the Phillies' system. Last year he found himself with Sioux Falls, where in 19 games (14 at third), he hit .221 in 68 AB's.

Farnsworth has never hit for average. His best year was at age 24 in the high-A Carolina League, where he hit .240 with 23 HR's and 113 RBI.

Troy Farnsworth Career Numbers through 2002:

www.sports-wired.com/play...?Name=FCGE

We'll let you know when we know where Farnsworth has been assigned.

All players who were on the Brewers DSL and VSL rosters are now officially on either the Helena roster or the Arizona roster. Some have been released, but the rest of them are in extended spring training.

The following players have been released by the Brewers off the DSL or VSL rosters:

CF Octavio Amaya

RHP Jose Romero

RHP Pedro Rojas

RHP Angel Pina

RHP Juan Garrido (VSL)

RHP Miguel Ochoa (VSL)

LHP Luis Mendoza

LHP Damauris Chavez

There are also a number of additions to the Arizona and Helena rosters, but I'll post those as I get to them later tonight.

Well, Raburn is already in AA. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Chavez has been hot hot hot. Could be him, Candelaria, Boyd, or Morris.

Anywho, back into the depths of the minor leagues. All these transactions occured back in late March or early April:

Not released after all

MR Danny Stout (R+)

Promoted from DSL to R+

C Nestor Corredor

2B Hernan Iribarren

Promoted from DSL to R

C Yonnata Lopez

CF Freddy Parejo

MR Ronny Malave

MR Rafael Lluveres

MR Wilfredo Laureano

Promoted from R to R+

CF Dallas Bates

MR Miguel Garcia

SP Tommy Hawk

2B Will Lewis

LF Adam Mannon

SP Ryan Marion

SP Alvaro Martinez

SP Tyler Morrison

C Bryan Opdyke

SP Edwin Walker

SP Robbie Wooley

There's still nine more players on the Helena/Arizona rosters that we don't have listed, but we don't anything besides names on them, so we'll list them as soon as we have some more info.

Huntsville Web Site:

SS Enrique Cruz was transferred to high-A High Desert after the game, and SS Ozzie Chavez was transferred to Huntsville from High Desert.

Chavez is actually younger than Cruz, as Ozzie won't even be 21 until July. Enrique is 22, and will be 23 in November.

If Ozzie keeps going he just might become the BF poster child for not becoming overly infatuated with A ball stats. I mean we can't keep talking about Bobby Darhula forever can we?

Indianapolis press release:

Brandon Gemoll has been promoted from Double-A Huntsville to Indianapolis and will join the Tribe on Saturday for the second game of a four-game series with the Durham Bulls.

Gemoll, 22, was selected in the eighth round of the 2001 June Free Agent Draft by Milwaukee. With Huntsville, he has hit .213 with three home runs and nine RBI in 29 games. Gemoll, who throws left and bats left, played exclusively at Huntsville last season. He hit .272 with 11 home runs and 65 RBI.

Gemoll, 6-2, 210-pounds, is a native of Reno, Nev. and now resides in San, Jose, Cal.

More importantly, this seems to indicate that Corey Hart may be in Milwaukee for much longer than a "cup of coffee".

To discuss Hart in Milwaukee only, please see this thread:

p082.ezboard.com/fbrewers...5782.topic

I say Vinny to AA! Hopefully Gemoll can get it going with his chance at Indy. Given the chance I think he could be a very nice 4th OF with the ability to be a defensive replacement at 1st on some occaisions

Nine more names of the Arizona/Helena Rosters, and all are new contracts signed by players from somewhere in Latin America. As of the moment, we don't have anything other than names and positions on these cats.

Helena

1B Carlos Gallardo

Arizona

RHP Carlos Cespedes

RHP Jesus Chourio

OF Oscar Emeterio

OF Herman Jimenez

RHP William Labasta

RHP Dany Mosquea

RHP Miguel Parejo

RHP Jose Vilario

Also, recent DFE signees RHP Robert Hinton, LHP Justin Wilson, and OF Joel Rivera all have been assigned to Arizona.

In a bit of a surprise, the Brewers have promoted High Desert RHP Glenn Woolard to AA Huntsville.

Taking Woolard's spot on the Maverick roster is RHP Dan Kolb, activated from the disabled list.

Woolard just turned 23, and along with Beloit RHP Carlos Villanueva, came to the Brewers from San Francisco for pitchers Wayne Franklin and Leo Estrella. He started 2004 very hot, and has struggled a bit as of late, but is still striking out more than a batter an inning this season.

Best wishes to Glenn in AA.

Glenn Woolard numbers year-to-date:

www.baseballamerica.com/c...er=woolard

Woolard's career line:

www.sports-wired.com/play...?Name=HFAD

Did anybody else notice that Ozzie Chavez' dazzling .323 BA in High Desert has to be the emptiest .323 since the dead ball era? Ozzie, with his utter lack of power, allergy to walks, and miserable stolen base record, posted an astonishing secondary average of .100 -- one hundred -- at HD. In contrast, Enrique Cruz may not have hit a lick at AA, but he walked a little, almost 1/3 of his few hits went for extra bases, and he had the good sense not to run much. Result: a secondary average of .257. Chavez has been the better hitter this year, but the secondary contributions combined with the big difference in offensive context between Huntsville and HD leave me unconvinced that the difference is huge.

That said, I'm glad Cruz is back in A+; I think he should have been there from the beginning. He only ever reached A+ with the Mets, he only had moderate success there (.720 OPS in 2002), and last year in Milwaukee didn't exactly help his development. He needs to climb the ladder. I don't think Chavez earned a promotion to AA; I think Cruz needed to go down, and Chavez was the only logical guy to switch with Cruz.

Glad to see Glenn Woolard moving up. He was solid in A ball last year, and so far he has survived the HD meat grinder. Having an A+ affiliate that didn't shred pitchers (R.I.P. Eric Henderson) would be awfully helpful, but we don't, so I like to see promising pitchers out of there as quickly as possible. I assume Parra will follow soon; I had hopes for Khalid, but I think his meat just got ground last night. He still has a great K/BB ratio, though. Forrest Martin's numbers aren't a lot worse than Woolard's, and he's older than Glenn, but he only had 30 innings of pro ball before this year, so I assume he'll stay put.

Greg.

Archived