Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Sunday 5/30: Mike Jones, Matt Ford Updates

Sunday's Daily Menu, with three opportunities to listen in after the Brewers take on the Padres -- flip on over!

All times Central; pitchers subject to change; pre-game audio begins approx. 15 minutes prior to game time listed...

INDIANAPOLIS: RHP Adrian Hernandez at Scranton / Wilkes-Barre (Phillies), 5:00 PM; the Tribe catches up with former teammates Jim Rushford, Mark Smith, Mark Budzinski, and Lou Collier...

Audio link:

www.newstalk1430.com/

Alternate audio link (Red Barons' feed):

www.sportsjuice.com/provi...swbrbarons

HUNTSVILLE: RHP Chris Saenz at home vs. Mobile (Padres), 6:05 PM

Audio link:

www.espn1450.com/

HIGH DESERT: RHP Khalid Ballouli at Inland Empire (Mariners), 4:11 PM

Audio link:

www.hdmavs.com/listen_live.htm

BELOIT: RHP Brian Montalbo at home vs. West Michigan (Tigers), 2:00 PM

No online audio for this series http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif , but hear this one locally or in the stadium on ESPN Radio 1380 ?The Jock? (WTJK AM).

West Michigan (Tigers) at Beloit, postponed, rain

Snappers' site:

The West Michigan Whitecaps and the Beloit Snappers were rained out today. The game will be made up as part of a doubleheader Monday, May 31 at 1:00 PM. These two teams will play two seven inning games tomorrow.

Huntsville Times Notes Column:

The Huntsville Stars' pitching staff should get a boost in about a week when two injured starters are expected to be activated from the disabled list. Righties Mike Jones (elbow) and Matt Ford (forearm) are both regaining strength in their arms before returning to action.

"Jones is fine," manager Frank Kremblas said. "He's just still building back up. Ford has got to throw a couple of more times and he should be ready to go."

Jones went on the disabled list May 2 when his troublesome elbow again starting hurting.

Rated the No. 6 prospect in the Milwaukee Brewers' minor league system after being a first-round draft choice in 2001, Jones was shut down midway through last season with the elbow problem. Jones is 0-2 this season with a 4.50 ERA, but had eight strikeouts in five innings in his last start before going on the DL.

Ford was the Stars' opening day starter and had pitched well in four starts, going 1-1 with a 3.06 ERA in 172/3 innings being disabled on May 15.

He spent last year with the Brewers, going 0-3 but with a decent ERA of 4.33 in 432/3 innings. ...

Classy move by Stars' officials, headed by general manager Bryan Dingo.

When the much-anticipated new scoreboard wasn't ready to go on Friday night as the team had promoted, fans at the game were offered a free general admission ticket to Saturday's game to see the debut of the scoreboard. ...

Fate has not been particularly kind to pitcher Paul Stewart this season.

He was released by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays at the end of spring training after hoping to spend the season with their Triple-A team in Durham so his wife, Meredith, could be near their home in Raleigh, N.C., for the birth of their first child.

Instead, Stewart signed with the Brewers as a free agent and was assigned to Huntsville. Meredith moved to Huntsville as well and arrangements were made to have the baby here. But a day after a scheduled doctor's appointment that indicated the baby would be arriving within a matter of days, Stewart was promoted to Triple-A Indianapolis. ...

Basebrawl

Stars first baseman Prince Fielder, who charged the mound Thursday night after getting hit in the head on a pitch from Mobile's Chris Rojas, will serve the third and final day of his Southern League-mandated suspension today. Mobile catcher Nick Trzesniak was also suspended for three days, which is automatic if involved in an altercation.

Rojas will begin his suspension Monday so that he will miss his turn in the rotation. The three were also fined $300 apiece.

Every other player on the Stars and the BayBears was fined $100 for either leaving the dugout or their positions in the field to get involved in the melee. ...

The suspension of Fielder has made for a lonely bench in the Stars' dugout. The Stars were already two players short on the 24-man roster before the loss of Fielder.

The Stars only reserve who is not a pitcher is backup catcher Joel Alvarado. Because manager's hesitate to use their backup catcher unless absolutely necessary, pitcher Chris Saenz (5-for-13 with a double, home run and three RBIs) might be Kremblas' first choice for a pinch-hitter. ...

Center fielder Tony Gwynn Jr. had a nine-game hitting streak snapped Thursday but rebounded Friday with a two-out single to center that drove in a run.

In his last 10 games entering Saturday's game, Gwynn was 17-for-41, a batting average of .414. Gwynn has also looked like a Gold Glover in patrolling center field. ...

Catcher Kade Johnson continues to struggle, collecting just eight hits in his last 61 at-bats (.131). ...

How many Stars' managers do you see? Mobile manager Gary Jones ran the Stars in 1994 while roving Brewers instructor Eddie Romero (Stars manager in 2001) has been in town this weekend, too, along with another roving instructor, Eddie Sedar. ...

Left fielder Brad Nelson leads the league with 25 extra-base hits. He has nine homers, 15 doubles and a triple. ...

Corey Hart, the Southern League MVP last year with the Stars, spent less than a week in the majors with the Brewers before being sent back to Indianapolis.

"I had an idea I was only going to be here a short time," Hart told MLB.com. "I was just making the most of it while I was here. I was like a little kid out there."

Around the league

Maybe the Southern League should be called the Great Eight this year. The only problem is that there are 10 teams in the league. Eight of the 10 teams entered Saturday's games no worse than .500.

Greenville and Montgomery are the only teams not to have won at least as many as they've lost, each with woeful 18-30 records.

Final: Scranton / Wilkes-Barre (Phillies) 4, Indianapolis 3

Indianapolis Box Score:

Tribe can't take advantage of production in the middle of the order; Jeff Liefer at third base today -- if he's not going to Milwaukee, can the Brewers move him for young but promising pitching?

GAME DATE: 5/30/04 IND at SWB INDIANAPOLIS 3 AT SCRANTON-WB 4 YTD YTD INDIANAPOLIS AB R H BI AVG SCRANTON-WB AB R H BI AVG R.Knox CF 5 0 1 0 .255 M.Budzinski CF 4 0 1 0 .235 S.Scarbrough 2B 4 0 0 0 .207 A.Machado SS 2 0 0 0 .237 P.Stewart PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 L.Collier LF 4 1 1 0 .326 B.Gemoll PH 1 0 0 0 .217 J.Rushford 1B 3 0 1 0 .293 C.Hart RF 5 1 3 0 .274 P.Ozuna 2B 3 1 0 1 .256 J.Liefer 3B 4 2 3 1 .347 B.Hitchcox 3B 3 2 2 0 .229 S.Sheldon 1B 3 0 2 0 .219 J.Crowell PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 C.Magruder LF 2 0 1 1 .273 M.Hernandez CAT 3 0 1 1 .205 A.Delgado CAT 3 0 0 1 .116 D.Giese PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 L.Figueroa SS 4 0 0 0 .302 B.Hannahan 3B 0 0 0 0 .327 A.Hernandez PIT 2 0 0 0 .000 J.Padilla RF 3 0 1 1 .239 M.Erickson PH 1 0 1 0 .217 E.Yarnall PIT 1 0 1 1 1.000 M.Erickson 2B 1 0 0 0 .217 A.Hinch CAT 1 0 0 0 .236 TOTALS 35 3 11 3 TOTALS 27 4 8 4 INDIANAPOLIS 2 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0- 3 11 2 SCRANTON-WB 0 2 0 1 0 0 0 1 X- 4 8 0 E--A.Delgado 2. DP--INDIANAPOLIS 1, SCRANTON-WB 2. LOB--INDIANAPOLIS 9, SCRANTON-WB 5. 2B--C.Hart (11), J.Liefer 2 (14), B.Hitchcox (10). SB--L.Collier (8). CS--A.Machado. HBP--C.Magruder, A.Delgado, A.Machado. SF--P.Ozuna. SH--S.Sheldon, E.Yarnall. YTD IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA INDIANAPOLIS A.Hernandez 6.0 7 3 3 2 4 0 5.84 P.Stewart (L,0-1) 2.0 1 1 0 1 0 0 4.15 SCRANTON-WB E.Yarnall 6.1 7 3 3 0 7 0 3.53 D.Giese (W,6-2) 1.2 2 0 0 1 0 0 1.52 J.Crowell (S,5) 1.0 2 0 0 0 3 0 0.95 HB--A.Hernandez, E.Yarnall 2. WP--A.Hernandez. SO--R.Knox, S.Scarbrough 2, B.Gemoll, C.Hart 2, L.Figueroa 2, A.Hernandez 2, M.Budzinski, L.Collier 2, J.Rushford. BB--C.Magruder, A.Machado, J.Rushford, B.Hitchcox. T--2:37. A--6484

Indianapolis Game Log:

Torture as Indy doesn't take advantage of huge opportunities in the eighth and ninth -- ugh...

www.sportsnetwork.com/mer...MEID=14144

Final: Inland Empire (Mariners) 12, High Desert 9

Khalid Ballouli and Manny Parra, the starters from this weekend, allowed 26 hits in a combined 9.1 IP; Ballouli has allowed 65 hits in 43.1 IP in 2004 -- he continues to get too much of the plate -- man, oh, man...

High Desert Box Score:

Ballouli compounds his ugly pitching line with two errors and a wild pitch; David Nolasco plunks three batters in two innings; offensively, seven extra-base hits including three HR's, for the Mavs...

GAME DATE: 5/30/04 HD at INL HIGH DESERT 9 AT INLAND EMPIRE 12 YTD YTD HIGH DESERT AB R H BI AVG INLAND EMPIRE AB R H BI AVG C.Morris DH 6 0 0 0 .311 J.Gonzalez SS 4 1 1 1 .333 C.Crabbe 2B 5 0 2 0 .296 J.Guzman 3B 4 1 3 1 .336 D.Boyd LF 4 1 2 0 .285 G.Harris CF 5 3 3 1 .276 T.Hinton 1B 4 1 1 2 .302 J.Nelson DH 4 2 3 1 .306 F.Villanueva CAT 5 2 3 0 .239 M.Rogelstad 2B 5 1 3 3 .277 S.Candelaria 3B 4 1 1 1 .255 T.Bohn RF 4 2 2 2 .305 K.Bibbs CF 4 2 1 0 .299 C.Arroyo LF 3 2 2 1 .324 J.Frost RF 5 1 3 5 .271 P.Balet 1B 4 0 2 1 .287 E.Cruz SS 5 1 2 1 .220 R.Rivera CAT 5 0 0 0 .269 K.Ballouli PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 J.Sandoval PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 D.Nolasco PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 M.Pizarro PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 T.Watson PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 TOTALS 42 9 15 9 TOTALS 38 12 19 11 HIGH DESERT 0 3 0 2 0 0 3 0 1- 9 15 2 INLAND EMPIRE 2 1 4 2 1 0 1 1 X-12 19 0 E--K.Ballouli 2. DP--HIGH DESERT 3, INLAND EMPIRE 0. LOB--HIGH DESERT 10, INLAND EMPIRE 9. 2B--D.Boyd (8), E.Cruz (2), J.Gonzalez (9), M.Rogelstad (7), T.Bohn (8). 3B--F.Villanueva (1), J.Frost (1). HR--T.Hinton (6), J.Frost (2), E.Cruz (1). SB--J.Nelson (9), T.Bohn (5). HBP--S.Candelaria, J.Guzman, T.Bohn, P.Balet. SF--C.Arroyo. YTD IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA HIGH DESERT K.Ballouli (L,3-5) 5.0 14 10 9 3 3 0 7.27 D.Nolasco 3.0 5 2 2 0 5 0 7.68 INLAND EMPIRE J.Sandoval (W,4-4) 6.0 10 5 5 0 3 2 4.91 M.Pizarro 2.0 4 3 3 2 1 1 4.03 T.Watson 1.0 1 1 1 1 2 0 6.10 HB--D.Nolasco 3, J.Sandoval. WP--K.Ballouli, D.Nolasco, M.Pizarro. SO--C.Morris 3, F.Villanueva, S.Candelaria, E.Cruz, J.Gonzalez 2, J.Guzman, G.Harris, J.Nelson, M.Rogelstad, T.Bohn, R.Rivera. BB-- D.Boyd, T.Hinton, K.Bibbs, J.Gonzalez, J.Nelson, C.Arroyo. T--3:07. A--2125

High Desert Game Log:

Could have been worse -- 66'ers hit into three double plays...

www.sportsnetwork.com/mer...MEID=18045

Its obvious what has happened to Ballouli. He has cracked under the pressure of trying to justify his lofty P 50 status.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif Hopefully, Toby can find a ranking the more suits him , like 51+.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Final: Huntsville 5, Mobile (Padres) 1

The fantabulous Chris Saenz salvages a pretty miserable day for the organization while improving his BB-to-K ratio to 52-to-9 -- his WHIP is 1.01!

Huntsville Box Score:

Ozzie Chavez on base four times -- hey Brewers, how about we have Co-Players of the Month in Ozzie and Brad Nelson?

GAME DATE: 5/30/04 MOB at HVL MOBILE 1 AT HUNTSVILLE 5 YTD YTD MOBILE AB R H BI AVG HUNTSVILLE AB R H BI AVG T.Donovan CF 3 1 3 0 .299 R.Weeks 2B 4 1 1 0 .252 R.Merrill SS 4 0 0 1 .231 A.Gwynn CF 4 0 2 2 .263 G.Sain 1B 3 0 0 0 .219 C.Barnwell 3B 3 0 0 0 .211 J.Gautreau 3B 4 0 0 0 .219 B.Nelson LF 4 2 2 0 .289 B.Johnson LF 3 0 0 0 .227 J.Belcher RF 3 1 1 1 .282 B.Johnson RF 0 0 0 0 .227 J.Raburn 1B 3 0 2 2 .255 J.Barfield 2B 3 0 0 0 .242 J.Alvarado CAT 4 1 1 0 .185 J.Carter RF 3 0 1 0 .247 O.Chavez SS 2 0 2 0 .300 M.Wodnicki PIT 1 0 0 0 .000 C.Saenz PIT 3 0 0 0 .333 S.Morales CAT 4 0 1 0 .264 P.Zamora PIT 1 0 0 0 .000 B.Whitaker PIT 1 0 0 0 .500 J.Roman PH 1 0 0 0 .158 A.Webb PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 J.Clements LF 1 0 0 0 .231 TOTALS 31 1 5 1 TOTALS 31 5 11 5 MOBILE 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0- 1 5 0 HUNTSVILLE 0 2 0 1 0 0 2 0 X- 5 11 0 DP--MOBILE 0, HUNTSVILLE 0. LOB--MOBILE 7, HUNTSVILLE 7. 2B--T.Donovan (5), B.Nelson (17), J.Belcher (8). SB--T.Donovan (17), J.Raburn 2 (6). CS--T.Donovan, A.Gwynn, J.Raburn. HBP--T.Donovan, C.Barnwell. SF-- J.Raburn. YTD IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA MOBILE B.Whitaker (L,2-3) 4.0 6 3 3 1 5 0 3.67 A.Webb 2.0 1 0 0 0 1 0 9.49 M.Wodnicki 2.0 4 2 2 2 2 0 9.00 HUNTSVILLE C.Saenz (W,4-2) 7.0 4 0 0 1 6 0 3.51 P.Zamora 2.0 1 1 1 2 0 0 2.84 HB--M.Wodnicki, C.Saenz. WP--P.Zamora. SO--G.Sain, J.Gautreau, B.Johnson, J.Barfield, J.Carter, B.Whitaker, R.Weeks, C.Barnwell, B.Nelson, J.Alvarado 2, C.Saenz 3. BB--G.Sain, B.Johnson, J.Barfield, J.Belcher, O.Chavez 2. T--2:35. A--4096

Huntsville Game Log:

Stars 2-for-4 on the basepaths; now only 47-of-74 (63.5 %) on the season...

www.sportsnetwork.com/mer...MEID=11995

I love this Saenz kid,am i alone in thinking he should rank up there with any of our pitching prospects??He gives up less hits per innings pitched,doesnt walk batters,and strikes guys out.Each one of those i thought were the best indicators of a pitchers upside.Jones may have a better arm and other things scouts drool over,but he's been injury prone as of late and his numbers weren't anymore impressive in AA than Seanz so far.He's my main beef in Toby's Top 50,i can't see how he can be ranked 24th.I'm more excited about his future than a few of the arms ranked ahead of him.

Indianapolis Post-Game Notes:

Former Indian Lou Collier scored the winning run Sunday night as the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons beat Indianapolis, 4-3. Collier singled off Tribe reliever Paul Stewart, stole second, advanced on a throwing error from catcher Alex Delgado, then scored on a sacrifice fly.

Red Barons reliever Jim Crowell, a product of the University of Indianapolis and also a former Indian, shut down the Tribe in the ninth, despite allowing singles to Matt Erickson and Ryan Knox. Crowell struck out Brandon Gemoll and Corey Hart to finish the game with runners at first and second, earning his fifth save. Paul Stewart (0-1) picked up his first loss for the Tribe, while Dan Giese (6-2) earned the victory in relief for the first place IL North Red Barons.

Indianapolis drops to 27-21, despite outhitting Scranton/Wilkes Barre, 10-8. The Red Barons improve to 29-20. Columbus defeated Ottawa Sunday night and has cut the Tribe?s first place lead in the IL West to just one game.

QUOTES:

Scranton?s Lou Collier on game winning run:

?When I came up, I wanted to be patient and find a way to get on base,? said Collier. ?I didn?t panic. Luckily, I got the chopper and beat it out. I knew I had to put pressure on the defense and attempt a steal. You?ve got to take some chances late in the game. Fortunately, the catcher?s throw went into center field and I advanced to third. By being aggressive, I put our team in a position to win tonight.?

NOTES:

Ryan Knox has a six-game hitting streak.

Indianapolis is 2-4 on the road trip and have posted a 5-8 record on the road in May.

Jeff Liefer has raised his batting average to .345, fifth best in the IL.

Adrian Hernandez made his second start of the year with Indianapolis since arriving from Milwaukee and had his best outing. Hernandez threw six innings, allowed seven hits on three runs, walked two and struck out seven.

Just as a note I think using both H/IP and K/IP is a bit misleading. The two figures are highly correlated so they tell you basically the samething. HR rate is also very important in predicting future success. At this point I'd have to say Saenz is no worse then the 4th best pitching prospect we have. Ben is ahead on performance, Jones on ceiling, then I'd say he and Manny are competitive and Ford can fit into this grouping too, but a bit behind.

Huntsville Site Game Summary:

The Stars cranked out 11 hits and right-hander Chris Saenz delivered a dominant performance in Sunday's 5-1 drubbing of Mobile (25-25) at Joe Davis Stadium. Huntsville (27-23) has won seven of its last 10 games and remains 2 1/2 games behind Southern League West leader West Tenn.

Saenz notched his fourth win and surrendered only four singles, two on the infield, while walking one and fanning six through seven commanding innings. Mobile advanced but two runners as far as second base against Saenz, who has allowed just one run over 14 frames in his last two starts.

Four Stars enjoyed two-hit games: Brad Nelson, Johnny Raburn, Tony Gwynn Jr. and Ozzie Chavez. Nelson doubled, singled and scored twice. Raburn rapped two singles, drove in two and stole two bases. Gwynn singled twice and drove in two, and Chavez finished 2-for-2 with two singles and two walks. Jason Belcher added a run-scoring double and scored once, and both Rickie Weeks and Joel Alvarado singled and scored a run.

Brian Whitaker (2-3) suffered the loss for Mobile, permitting three runs on six hits and one walk with five strikeouts in four innings. Stars reliever Pete Zamora gave up one run on one hit and two walks over the final two innings.

Stars lefty Ryan Costello (2-0, 4.63) meets Biscuits righty Jarod Matthews (2-4, 3.00) in the first of a four-game series Monday night at Riverwalk Stadium in Montgomery. Game time is 7:05 PM.

Huntsville Times Game Story:

Stars like Raburn on the move

Jack-of-all-trades player helps Huntsville beat Mobile, 5-1

By BROOKE MILAM

For The Times

If the votes were counted right now, Johnny Raburn would win the Stars' MVP award.

MVP as in Most Versatile Player.

"He can play anywhere and basically he does a good job anywhere," Stars manager Frank Kremblas said.

"He's the guy that will move around the most. If you've played enough baseball then you have the instincts Johnny has."

Raburn played first base for the Stars in Sunday night's 5-1 victory over the Mobile BayBears in the absence of Prince Fielder, who was sitting out the last of a three-game suspension.

Raburn was more than willing to fill the void, driving in two runs on two hits.

"Anywhere I can get in the lineup, I'm happy with," Raburn said. "My big thing is that I want to play as much as I can."

The multi-dimensional Raburn is a switch-hitter who was drafted as a shortstop, but has also played second base and outfield for the Stars this season.

He's also earned a win in relief as a right-handed pitcher.

Raburn has gotten seven starts at second base, 11 at shortstop and has taken the mound twice for the Stars this season. After being put to the test at almost every position, Raburn has passed with flying colors.

"I got drafted as a shortstop and then I was asked to play second, and I didn't mind," Raburn said. "Then I was asked to play third and some outfield, too. I did OK, I guess. I was told I did all right.

In Sunday's game, Jason Belcher's double in the second inning knocked in Brad Nelson for the Stars' first run before Raburn's sacrifice fly scored Belcher.

Nelson scored again on a Raburn single in the fourth.

A Tony Gwynn Jr. single in the seventh scored Rickie Weeks and Joel Alvarado to cap the Stars' scoring.

Nelson and Gwynn were both 2-for-4, and Ozzie Chavez was 2-for-2 and was intentionally walked twice.

Mobile center fielder Todd Donovan was 3-for-3 and scored the BayBears' only run in the eighth inning.

The Stars (27-23) cranked out 11 hits and had no errors in getting the series split with Mobile.

Chris Saenz (4-2) earned the win, striking out six and giving up four hits and no runs in seven innings before being relieved by Pete Zamora.

Brian Whitaker (2-3) took the loss for the BayBears, giving up six hits and three runs in four innings.

Alan Webb and Mike Wodnicki both pitched in relief for Mobile (25-25).

The Stars are 2 1/2 games out of first place and will begin a four-game series at Montgomery on Tuesday before returning home to host the Chattanooga Lookouts on Friday.

David Weiser's www.starsboxscore.com Huntsville update:

SAENZ TO MOBILE: NO TRESPASSING

Who thinks the first sign of summer is Memorial Day?........ No......... The first sign of summer if the first 90-degree day at Joe Davis Stadium....... And that was at 6 PM, so it was THE day to crank on that A/C, even if it was a short trip in the car....... So long, comfortable evenings at the ballpark. See ya next year.

The Stars had it all together tonight........ Eleven hits to back up Chris Saenz' commanding seven scoreless innings of four-hit pitching....... He allowed only two batters to reach scoring position....... The only trouble Mobile gave us was from leadoff hitter Todd Donovan, who beat out an infield single to the right side in the 1st, then reached in the 3rd after being hit in the shoulder by a 2-2 pitch, a perfectly placed bunt single and a stolen base in the 6th, and a double to left-center in the 8th....... A wild pitch by reliever Pete Zamora and ground ball off Zamora's glove brought Donovan in for the Bay Bears' only run........

Saenz struggled to get through the 7th, throwing 19 pitches --- the most he threw in any one inning. After 95 pitches and one out, manager Frank Kremblas, with Zamora warming up, came out to see how he was doing, but he kept Chris in...... Chris paid off. He struck out Josh Barfield on a 3-2 slider, then went 3-and-1 to catcher Steve Morales before he hit into a force........ Saenz wound up throwing 105 pitches, 62 (59%) for strikes....... He's allowed just one run over 14 innings in his last two starts, and finished May with a 2-1 mark and 3.41 ERA for that month.

Tony Gwynn strikes me a lot as a center fielder who sometimes doesn't know where he's going when he's chasing a ball out to the track, but I've never seen him lose one, yet........ He's got unbelievable footwork out there, backpedaling, looking over one shoulder then the other, then sidestepping, while still maintaining his eye on the ball....... It will look like the ball will fall over his head, like I've seen it happen to so many lesser talented outfielders, but he makes the catch...... It happened again in the 5th inning off the bat of Steve Morales....... Gwynn has made just three errors this season. The most recent was Saturday when a short fly came off his glove, but the other two were on the road, and I didn't see them.

Brian Whitaker, who led the Padre starters with the best ERA in the organization last year, was able to retire the side in the 1st inning, but gave up a combined six hits in the next three, resulting in a 3-0 lead for the Stars......... Four Stars enjoyed two-hit games: Gwynn, Brad Nelson, Johnny Raburn, and Ozzie Chavez...... Nelson singled and scored on Jason Belcher's double in the 2nd inning, then doubled and scored on Raburn's single up the middle in the 4th. Brad is one behind Richard Lewis (West Tenn) for the league lead in doubles....... Raburn rapped two singles, drove in two and stole two bases........ Gwynn singled twice and drove in two in the 7th, and Chavez singled twice and walked twice....... All in all, a nice contribution from everyone today.

Only Chris Barnwell went hitless. Barney, hitting between .200 and .220 since May 10, but third on the team in RBIs, did not drive in a run in this entire series........ Nelson's double to left-center on an 0-1 pitch in the 4th, was his 13th double of the month........ I had thought erroneously that Mickey Lopez held the club record of 14 doubles in a single month, but after some time of going through the boxes, I find it actually belongs to Scott Brosius, who hit 15 in the month of August, 1990........ Raburn, 6-for-7 in stolen base attempts, has made them all this month. He's also doing a fine job handling 1st base from what I've seen, but I think it's all over for awhile....... Prince Fielder will return to his position Monday when the Stars go to Montgomery.

Lefty Ryan Costello (2-0, 4.63) will meet Biscuits righty Jarod Matthews (2-4, 3.00) in the first of a four-game series Monday night at Riverwalk Stadium in Montgomery. Game time is 7:05 PM....... Montgomery won their last two games against fellow cellar-dwellar Greenville, but lost five of six before that.

The Stars may still be 2½ game behind the Diamond Jaxx in the Western Division race, but they're no longer behind them in average attendance....... Sunday's Memorial Day crowd of 4,079 --- the best of this series --- elevated them to 8th place past West Tenn with an average attendance of 2,925........ The Jacksonville Suns lead the league with an average of 6,992 per home game. Montgomery is 2nd with 5,157.

Weak-hitting Joel Alvarado may be a liability with this under-acheiving team at the plate, hitting less than .200 for the second straight season in Huntsville, but he nearly had a 2-for-4 day when he smashed a rope in the 2nd inning into the left field corner, going foul and missing extra bases by a foot......... Still, the Stars are 10-5 when Alvy is catching, thanks in part to throwing out 50% of the runners trying to steal on him, an enviable rate.

The Stars have been guaranteed that the new scoreboard will be totally functional by the time the Stars begin their next homestand, Friday vs. Chattanooga....... The analog clock, sitting high atop the board, went up Sunday and was working. Unfortunately, as all things are, we build events up larger than life, and it's much smaller than I thought........ Want to know the time? Bring your binoculars........ The video board is lacking one good part that will let camera and video images be seen, but that part, coming from Canada, is expected to arrive Wednesday........ Another part coming in separately that day will give us balls and strikes........ The pitch speed equipment, put on the back burner because of other problems that had to be tended to, will be tended to this week ......... Like I said, they've guaranteed it......... The message board was working, but I think the control room is using it more to announce anniversary greetings and upcoming events, than batting averages. That better change.

Although the Stars have been a miserable disappointment at the plate, they've managed to set a fielding record, committing only 49 errors in their first 50 games, breaking the old record of 53, set in 1999.

WEST DIVISION W L PCT GB [b]INDIANAPOLIS INDIANS (MILWAUKEE) 27 21 .563[/b] COLUMBUS CLIPPERS (NEW YORK YANKEES) 26 22 .542 1.0 TOLEDO MUD HENS (DETROIT) 26 25 .510 2.5 LOUISVILLE BATS (CINCINNATI) 24 26 .480 4.0

WEST DIVISION W L PCT GB WEST TENN DIAMOND JAXX (CHICAGO CUBS) 29 20 .592 [b]HUNTSVILLE STARS (MILWAUKEE) 27 23 .540 2.5[/b] MOBILE BAY BEARS (SAN DIEGO) 25 25 .500 4.5 BIRMINGHAM BARONS (CHICAGO WHITE SOX) 24 25 .490 5.0 MONTGOMERY BISCUITS (TAMPA BAY) 20 30 .400 9.5

SOUTH DIVISION W L PCT GB INLAND EMPIRE 66ERS (SEATTLE) 30 20 .600 LANCASTER JETHAWKS (ARIZONA) 29 20 .592 .5 LAKE ELSINORE STORM (SAN DIEGO) 26 23 .531 3.5 RANCHO CUCAMONGA QUAKES (ANAHEIM) 23 26 .469 6.5 [b]HIGH DESERT MAVERICKS (MILWAUKEE) 20 31 .392 10.5[/b]

WESTERN DIVISION W L PCT GB PEORIA CHIEFS (ST.LOUIS) 29 20 .592 CEDAR RAPIDS KERNELS (ANAHEIM) 29 20 .592 KANE COUNTY COUGARS (OAKLAND) 28 20 .583 .5 [b]BELOIT SNAPPERS (MILWAUKEE) 27 22 .551 2.0[/b] CLINTON LUMBER KINGS (TEXAS) 26 23 .531 3.0 QUAD CITY RIVER BANDITS (MINNESOTA) 23 24 .489 5.0 WISCONSIN TIMBER RATTLERS (SEATTLE) 21 28 .429 8.0 BURLINGTON BEES (KANSAS CITY) 16 34 .320 13.5

More Indy details from the Wilkes-Barre Times Leader:

Barons survive scare from Indianapolis

A great catch defensively and a sacrifice fly offensively spark Wilkes-Barre/Scranton

By VAN ROSE

vrose@leader.net

MOOSIC - Jim Rushford has helped the Red Barons win several games with his bat, but Sunday night the first baseman took center stage with a nifty fielding play.

Rushford caught a wicked line drive off the bat of Indianapolis' Alex Delgado with the bases loaded in the eighth inning, and then doubled up Chris Magruder at first to preserve a 3-all tie.

It turned out to be a game saver.

Pablo Ozuna's RBI sacrifice fly in the bottom of the eighth propelled Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to a 4-3 victory over the Indians in front of a crowd of 5,300 at Lackawanna County Stadium.

It was the fifth consecutive victory for the Red Barons (29-20), who boast the best record in the International League.

"Rushford's catch was the key play of the game," said Red Barons left fielder Lou Collier, who scored the winning run. "It took away the momentum from Indianapolis and gave it to us."

The happiest person in Lackawanna County Stadium when Rushford stabbed Delgado's liner was pitcher Dan Giese, who dug himself a deep hole by loading the bases with one out.

"Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good," Giese said. "You can't be at your best every day. I didn't have my best stuff, but I still wanted to compete."

Giese expressed a sigh of relief when he escaped the jam. "I prayed a little extra."

Rushford, who didn't move an inch to make the catch, said it was a simple matter of being in the right place.

"Right in the middle of (Delgado's) at bat, I moved a step to my right. I was trying to figure out where he was going to hit the ball. The ball was hit right at me. All I did was react. The double play was easy because Magruder had no chance of beating me to first base."

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre manufactured the winning run.

With one out, Collier slapped a high-chopper to third for an infield single. Collier stole second and easily reached third when catcher Delgado threw the ball into center field.

That set the stage for Ozuna, who lofted a fly ball to shallow center, enabling Collier to easily beat Ryan Knox's throw to the plate.

The Indians mounted a serious threat in the top of the ninth. With one out, Matt Erickson and Knox hit back-to-back singles against Red Barons reliever Jim Crowell.

However, the veteran southpaw made a nice recovery. He struck out pinch-hitter Brandon Gemoll and Corey Hart to notch his fifth save of the season.

"Crowell had some anxious moments in the ninth, but he got those two big strikeouts" Scranton/Wilkes-Barre manager Marc Bombard said. "Corey is a good-looking young hitter."

Red Barons starter Ed Yarnall got off to an inauspicious start, but settled down after surrendering two runs in the top of the first inning. He averted disaster by fanning Luis Figueroa with the bases loaded to end the frame.

Yarnall posted his longest outing of the year. He gave up three runs on seven hits in 6 1/3 innings of work. The score was tied at 3-3 when he departed.

"I was jumpy in the first," Yarnall said. "I hit two guys, I was really out of rhythm. I made a couple of good pitches to get out of the inning. I seemed to settle down the last couple of innings I pitched."

Brian Hitchcox paced the Red Barons with two hits, including a double. Hart and Jeff Liefer both had three hits to lead the Indians (27-21).

High Desert Game Story (San Bernadino Sun):

66ers finally see the light in victory

By MICHELLE GARDNER, Staff Writer

SAN BERNARDINO - So much for not playing well under the natural light.

The Inland Empire 66ers of San Bernardino racked up 19 hits to out-slug the High Desert Mavericks 12-9 on Sunday at Arrowhead Credit Union Park and maintain a half-game lead over Lancaster in the South Division.

The victory was contrary to a trend the Sixers developed in the first two months, as they went 4-7 in 11 previous day games. They were hitting only .235 and averaging 3.5 runs in those outings. Players attribute the lack of success in day games to pure coincidence.

"I don't think there's any correlation there,' second baseman Matt Rogelstad said. "Just luck of the draw. There were a couple of games we didn't play well. But we've had a few at night we didn't play well, either.'

Sunday's game started out as a slugfest and ended that way, too. The Sixers (30-20) scored first, getting two runs in the first off Mavericks starter Khalid Ballouli (3-5) on run-scoring hits by Gary Harris and Jon Nelson.

The Mavericks (20-31) took their lone lead of the afternoon moments later, getting three runs in the second off Sixers starter Juan Sandoval (4-4), all coming on a bases-loaded triple by Jeremy Frost.

The hits kept coming for both teams, especially for the Sixers, who scored at least once in every inning but the sixth. They tallied one in the second and four in the third for a 7-3 lead. Rogelstad and Pichi Balet each singled home a run and T.J. Bohn drove home two with a double in the third.

The Mavericks came back in the fourth, closing the gap to 7-5 on back-to-back solo home runs by Frost and Enrique Cruz.

Sandoval lasted six innings and departed with the Sixers leading 9-5. He gave up 10 hits and struck out three but didn't walk a batter. Sandoval, whose last five starts all came on the road, earned his first victory since April29.

Ballouli went five innings, surrendering 10 runs (nine earned) and 14 hits.

Neither team's bullpen escaped unscathed. The usually dependable Melvin Pizzaro worked two innings and gave up three runs. He has given up 10 earned runs this season, eight of them in two appearance against High Desert. He has a sparkling ERA of 0.89 in 11 appearances against the rest of the league.

Rialto native David Nolasco went three innings for High Desert, giving up five hits and two earned runs, and striking out five. It could have been worse.

The Sixers loaded the bases with none out in both the seventh and eighth.

Tanner Watson went the ninth for the Sixers and gave up a run before getting Chris Morris on a grounder to end the game.

Eight of nine Sixers starters got hits. Seven finished with multiple hits and eight had RBI.

"We swung the bats well tonight,' Brown said. "But you wouldn't expect the game to be that close when you score in every inning but one.'

Archived