Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Games of Thursday, June 3rd

It's not like I'm charting the game with you, batman, but casually listening, I don't even remember Manny going to a three-ball count as of yet. Now this is the Manny we all know and love...

Community Moderator

A two hour Snapper game tonight as a pitcher's duel took place, actually a 1 hr and 59 minute game, amazing.

Pena looked very good again. His pickoff error was pretty bad...he has a good move to first.

I believe Money got ejected from this game after Cap'n got thrown out at 3rd advancing from 1st on a single. He was actualy out as I had a perfect view. Lou comes around 2nd hauling tail and slows up about halfway thinking he's in there easily....relay was quick to the infield and a nice throw to 3rd....he finally slides and gets tagged out. Lou should never have slown up that early or he would have been in there standing. End of inning instead of runners at the corners with 2 outs. Don was arguing with the ump and it was getting loud as I heard em in the Leinie's Lodge in left. After that inning no more Money as Diggs was coaching third rest of game.

Acosta got hosed bottom of the 8th down 1-0...he's on second and Moss hits a broken bat shot...Truffles out at 2nd...and the throw to get Moss at 1st was late...Acosta runs home when the throw goes to 1st. Play at the plate and they call Acosta out. Bad bad call as Acosta slides around catcher 3rd base side and in. A tag didn't even take place until Gilberto was getting UP! Still out end of inning and no runs. Diggs got in the umps face and I thought he was going to get tossed too. Tony had a strong case though.

Double plays killed us tonight...Man

I am getting more and more impressed with Captain Lou. He just mashes to every part of the field. His only hit was a single in the hole between ss and 3rd. He had a shot into deep right-center that was nearly in there except for a nice play by the cf at the track and wall. He even bobbled it and had to catch it again in order to rob Lou. This guy is the real deal.

Vinny is the same way. He just hits the ball everytime. Mashing it everywhere. No one on this team hits the ball harder than Vinny.

If Drew Anderson would not swing at pitches inside around his ankles he'd be scary. That low inside pitch is like a bug zapper to him...draws him in and drops him.

Overheard Rich Sauveur not being happy with Manuel Ramirez at first base. The run in the first that scored should not have happened as Manny was playing too close to the bag. The ball was hit between first and 2nd and Vinny made a nice sliding attempt to knock it down. Coach was complaining how if Manny was playing where he should have (normally) instead of almost on the bag he would have made the play and no run in the first. Nice to see coach looking out for his boy in Pena. In support of him Manny does look bad at first base.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

Update, in progress: Modesto (A's) 3, High Desert 0, after five innings

Although we're still waiting for a hard-hit ball off of Parra -- dinked and dunked to death, defense wasn't sparkling, and the umps didn't help in a three-run Modesto "rally"...

Final: Montgomery (Devil Rays) 8, Huntsville 2

Stars have been majoring in "caught stealing" for several weeks now; pull back the reins, Frank Kremblas -- pathetic results on the basepaths in this one...

Huntsville Box Score:

Why do I think the Pete Zamora era in Huntsville might be brief?

GAME DATE: 6/03/04 HVL at MTG HUNTSVILLE 2 AT MONTGOMERY 8 YTD YTD HUNTSVILLE AB R H BI AVG MONTGOMERY AB R H BI AVG R.Weeks 2B 4 0 1 0 .244 F.Cortez 2B 4 1 0 0 .266 J.Raburn CF 3 0 1 1 .255 J.Brewer LF 5 0 2 1 .302 P.Fielder 1B 4 0 1 0 .242 A.German CF 3 0 1 0 .296 B.Nelson LF 4 1 1 1 .299 J.Salas 3B 5 0 1 1 .283 J.Belcher RF 3 0 1 0 .285 B.Martin RF 2 2 0 0 .259 C.Barnwell 3B 4 0 0 0 .212 D.DeMent DH 4 4 4 2 .288 K.Johnson DH 1 0 0 0 .233 R.Cancel CAT 4 0 2 2 .221 J.Alvarado CAT 3 0 0 0 .164 A.Clark 1B 4 0 1 0 .209 O.Chavez SS 3 1 1 0 .275 N.Perez SS 4 1 1 2 .339 M.Ford PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 J.Veras PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 D.Sarfate PIT 0 0 0 0 .154 W.Glen PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 P.Zamora PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 A.Coose PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 J.Parker PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 TOTALS 29 2 6 2 TOTALS 35 8 12 8 HUNTSVILLE 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0- 2 6 2 MONTGOMERY 0 1 0 2 0 1 0 4 X- 8 12 0 E--J.Raburn, O.Chavez. DP--HUNTSVILLE 1, MONTGOMERY 0. LOB--HUNTSVILLE 4, MONTGOMERY 8. 2B--O.Chavez (3), J.Brewer (4), D.DeMent (4). 3B-- R.Cancel (1). HR--B.Nelson (10), D.DeMent 2 (5). SB--N.Perez (1). CS--J.Raburn, P.Fielder, J.Belcher, J.Brewer. HBP--J.Belcher, K.Johnson, A.German. SF--J.Raburn. YTD IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA HUNTSVILLE M.Ford (L,1-2) 2.0 3 1 1 0 2 1 3.20 D.Sarfate 5.0 5 3 3 1 2 1 4.33 P.Zamora 1.0 4 4 2 3 0 0 4.91 MONTGOMERY J.Veras 2.1 4 2 2 0 0 1 6.30 W.Glen (W,2-2) 2.2 1 0 0 0 3 0 4.39 A.Coose 2.0 1 0 0 1 0 0 2.43 J.Parker (S,9) 2.0 0 0 0 0 3 0 4.88 HB--M.Ford, W.Glen, A.Coose. SO--R.Weeks, P.Fielder, B.Nelson, C.Barnwell 2, O.Chavez, A.German, J.Salas, A.Clark, N.Perez. BB-- K.Johnson, F.Cortez, A.German, B.Martin 2. T--2:50. A--4409

Huntsville Game Log:

Matt Ford with a couple of clutch K's in the 2nd...

www.sportsnetwork.com/mer...MEID=16268

Robert Portnoy deserves more kudos... he is just a pleasure to listen to.

-------------

I wholeheartedly agree.

Nice to see some good pitching tonight, but like someone said, whats going on with this organizations offense? Early season slumps or overrated?

Final: Modesto (A's) 4, High Desert 3

Mavericks score three in the top of the ninth to tie things up only to lose in the bottom of the inning -- heart-ripping losses on consecutive nights...

Despite the loss, the High Desert game was a joy to listen to. Lots of drama, some nice prospects on both teams, and a comeback by the good guys (wish the Brewers could do that!). The other Dan Kolb pitched well but might have been extended a bit too much... tough call for Ned Yost... err... Mel Queen, so I can't really fault his decision to stick with the hot hand.

For those that choose not to partake in the High Desert audio entree, you're really missing out!

G'night,

~Bill

High Desert Box Score:

GAME DATE: 6/03/04 HD at MOD HIGH DESERT 3 AT MODESTO 4 YTD YTD HIGH DESERT AB R H BI AVG MODESTO AB R H BI AVG C.Morris RF 3 0 0 0 .289 L.Turner 2B 4 0 0 1 .257 P.Rasmusen RF 1 0 1 1 .179 M.McBeth CF 4 0 0 0 .231 C.Crabbe 2B 5 0 1 0 .292 J.Suomi CAT 4 0 0 0 .319 D.Boyd LF 4 0 0 0 .287 N.Cruz LF 4 1 2 0 .319 T.Hinton 1B 3 1 2 0 .305 C.Myers 1B 3 0 0 0 .362 S.Candelaria 3B 4 1 2 0 .269 J.Perry RF 2 1 0 0 .300 J.Vanden ber CAT 4 1 1 1 .308 O.Quintanill SS 4 1 1 0 .261 K.Bibbs CF 4 0 3 1 .303 B.Stavisky DH 3 1 1 1 .336 J.Frost DH 3 0 1 0 .280 I.Garcia 3B 3 0 2 2 .250 E.Cruz SS 2 0 0 0 .224 B.Sullivan PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 M.Parra PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 J.Coleman PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 D.Kolb PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 TOTALS 33 3 11 3 TOTALS 31 4 6 4 HIGH DESERT 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3- 3 11 1 MODESTO 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 1- 4 6 0 E--S.Candelaria. DP--HIGH DESERT 1, MODESTO 2. LOB--HIGH DESERT 8, MODESTO 6. 2B--T.Hinton (16), N.Cruz (20), B.Stavisky (13). SB-- K.Bibbs (19). HBP--J.Perry. SF--P.Rasmusen, I.Garcia. SH--J.Frost, C.Myers. YTD IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA HIGH DESERT M.Parra 6.0 4 3 3 0 5 0 5.65 D.Kolb (L,2-1) 2.2 2 1 1 2 4 0 4.78 MODESTO B.Sullivan 8.0 8 0 0 1 2 0 4.30 J.Coleman (W,2-1) 1.0 3 3 3 2 0 0 4.11 HB--M.Parra. WP--M.Parra. PB--J.Suomi. SO--C.Crabbe 2, M.McBeth 2, J.Suomi, N.Cruz 2, J.Perry, O.Quintanill, B.Stavisky 2. BB--T.Hinton, E.Cruz 2, J.Perry, B.Stavisky. T--2:34. A--3103

High Desert Game Log:

OF Chris Morris lifted in the 7th, perhaps nothing to be concerned about -- MassBrew

www.sportsnetwork.com/mer...MEID=18747

Indianapolis Post-Game Notes:

Overall effort helps Indians

Farnsworth gets 1st victory with hitting help from Hart, Sheldon

Corey Hart had two hits and an RBI and Scott Sheldon hit a solo home run to back up starter Jeff Farnsworth's seven shutout innings in the Indianapolis Indians' 3-1 win Thursday night over the Rochester Red Wings.

The Indians (29-22) scored runs in the second, fourth and seventh innings and held Rochester scoreless until the eighth.

Farnsworth allowed four hits, struck out two and walked none to notch a win in his first start with the Tribe.

Red Wings starter and former Purdue player Dave Gassner (6-4) gave up three earned runs in seven innings to suffer the loss. Jason Childers picked up his 15th save, not allowing a run in the last 1 2/3 innings and striking out three.

"I wanted to pick the team up tonight," Childers said. "It was important to get the first man out. In the eighth inning, I wanted to attack the (strike) zone. Heading into the ninth, I felt comfortable. I was able to move my pitches around."

The lone RBI for Rochester (27-26) came from pinch-hitter Brian Simmons, who singled in Josh Rabe, who had doubled.

The Tribe's Ryan Knox doubled, extending his hitting streak to nine games.

Mpozi Mshale Tolbert / Indianapolis Star Staff Photographer

The Indians' Steve Scarborough throws to first as he avoids sliding Rochester baserunner Augie Ojeda.

http://www.indystar.com/images/pics2/image-152216-1868.jpg

Huntsville Site Game Summary:

The Biscuits backed up Wednesday?s 13-hit barrage with a 12-hit salvo, taking their third straight from the Stars, 8-2, on Thursday night at Riverwalk Stadium. Huntsville (28-26) dropped three games behind leader West Tenn in the Southern League West first-half race.

Trailing 2-1, Montgomery scored seven unanswered runs. In the fourth, Robinson Cancel grounded a two-run single to right for a 3-2 Biscuits lead. In the sixth, Dan Dement punctuated his 4-for-4 night with a solo homer to right, his second of the game, and Montgomery sealed it with a four-run eighth. Nestor Perez singled home two and Jace Brewer and Juan Salas each knocked in one to put the Biscuits up, 8-2.

Brad Nelson homered in the second to give the Stars a brief 1-0 lead, and Johnny Raburn?s third-inning sacrifice fly made it 2-1, Huntsville. Over the final six innings, Huntsville advanced just one runner as far as second base.

Willie Glenn (2-2) picked up the win for the Biscuits, allowing only one hit and fanning three over 2 2/3 scoreless innings of relief. Dennis Sarfate (3-5) suffered the loss in relief, permitting three runs on five hits and no walks with two strikeouts in five innings. Matt Ford started for Huntsville, his first appearance in five weeks after rehabbing from elbow soreness, and gave up one run on three hits and one walk while fanning two over two innings. Josh Parker struck out three in two perfect frames for his ninth save.

Huntsville returns home for the first of four games with Chattanooga on Friday night at Joe Davis Stadium. Lefty Jeff Housman (1-3, 3.04) meets Lookouts righty Steve Kelly (3-3, 3.74). Comcast presents a Fireworks Friday extravaganza and Madison RV Center sponsors Girl Scout Night. Game time is 7:05 p.m.

Huntsville Notes:

Gwynn suspended: Tony Gwynn Jr. served a one-game suspension Thursday for his actions after being ejected Wednesday.

Gwynn flipped his bat after a checked-swing strikeout and was ejected by umpire Pete Pedersen. Gwynn argued with Pedersen, appeared to make some contact and, when he left for the dugout, threw his helmet in Pedersen's direction.

Fielder hits: Prince Fielder picked up his first hit since serving a three-game suspension last weekend.

Fielder's first-inning single ended an 0-for-10 streak that included two double plays. Fielder was suspended after charging the mound following a hit by pitch last week.

WEST DIVISION W L PCT GB [b]INDIANAPOLIS INDIANS (MILWAUKEE) 29 22 .569[/b] COLUMBUS CLIPPERS (NEW YORK YANKEES) 28 23 .549 1.0 TOLEDO MUD HENS (DETROIT) 28 26 .519 2.5 LOUISVILLE BATS (CINCINNATI) 26 27 .491 4.0

WEST DIVISION W L PCT GB WEST TENN DIAMOND JAXX (CHICAGO CUBS) 31 23 .574 [b]HUNTSVILLE STARS (MILWAUKEE) 28 26 .519 2.5[/b] BIRMINGHAM BARONS (CHICAGO WHITE SOX) 27 27 .500 4.0 MOBILE BAY BEARS (SAN DIEGO) 27 27 .500 3.5 MONTGOMERY BISCUITS (TAMPA BAY) 23 31 .426 7.5

SOUTH DIVISION W L PCT GB LANCASTER JETHAWKS (ARIZONA) 32 21 .604 INLAND EMPIRE 66ERS (SEATTLE) 31 23 .574 1.5 LAKE ELSINORE STORM (SAN DIEGO) 27 26 .509 5.0 RANCHO CUCAMONGA QUAKES (ANAHEIM) 26 27 .491 6.0 [b]HIGH DESERT MAVERICKS (MILWAUKEE) 20 34 .370 12.5[/b]

WESTERN DIVISION W L PCT GB PEORIA CHIEFS (ST.LOUIS) 31 21 .596 KANE COUNTY COUGARS (OAKLAND) 31 22 .585 .5 CEDAR RAPIDS KERNELS (ANAHEIM) 31 22 .585 .5 [b]BELOIT SNAPPERS (MILWAUKEE) 28 26 .519 4.0[/b] CLINTON LUMBER KINGS (TEXAS) 27 25 .519 4.0 QUAD CITY RIVER BANDITS (MINNESOTA) 23 26 .469 6.5 WISCONSIN TIMBER RATTLERS (SEATTLE) 24 29 .453 7.5 BURLINGTON BEES (KANSAS CITY) 17 37 .315 15.0

Looks like a small cup of coffee has sparked Hart. What are his stats since he has went back down? Couple of Multi-hit games and some RBI's.

AAA doesn't have an Allstar game do they. So, I wouldn't mind seeing Cory up after the MLB allstar break.

Anyone get a first hand (or ear) view of Manny's outing. Stat lines don't look too bad.

It is good to see Nelson back on track this year. It goes to show what that extra year in the minors can do. I am not too worried about Prince and Rickie. With the way Overbay/Ginter are holding down the fort there is no reason to rush these guys passed AAA next year.

Yeah I think we see Hart definitely in September, probably before. I would hope that it holds off until Grieve has been dealt since I don't see him being terribly useful to the team sitting on the bench, and it wouldn't help his trade value as a bat for a team in need of one. That's generally not a reason to not promote a guy, but Corey hasn't been so hot that he's forcing the issue, so no reason not to try and flip Ben for something else.

AAA doesn't have an Allstar game do they.

Sure do, in Pawtucket this year -- July 14th, the night after the major league All-Star game. There's a big three-day Fan Fest celebration associated with it, up here in my neck of the woods. I believe there's standing room available, but I won't be taking in the game live -- perhaps a fan-fest event, though.

As big a Corey Hart fan as I am, I think it would be best for Corey to spend the whole season in AAA, because that is the only place he's going to get to play everday.

Even tho Corey was an OFers in HS, he hasn't played the position in several years. If he's going to continue to progress, he needs to play everyday, and I just don't think that will happen in Milwaukee this year. Even if Grieve is traded, I find it hard to believe that Yost would play Hart ahead of Clark. And if that is the case, I'd rather have him stay right where he is.

Madbad, I am way on board with you in regard to Manny's "defense" at 1B. He kinda reminds me of a little leaguer in regard to how close he snugs the bag while in the field. Not as bad as say a Daryl Clark with the hands, but not too many rungs behind.

Looks like a small cup of coffee has sparked Hart. What are his stats since he has went back down? Couple of Multi-hit games and some RBI's.

------

actually he slumped a little bit, but is now getting it back. according to him, i read he said it somewhere on this site.

As big a Corey Hart fan as I am, I think it would be best for Corey to spend the whole season in AAA, because that is the only place he's going to get to play everday.

----

i agree with blazin. The kid is still only 22 years old. No need for him to go to Mil and be used in a platoon situation. Hes in a developemental stage still, and one more thing, he has good numbers, but not GREAT numbers. I wanna see some GREAT numbers from some of these guys before they get promoted full time.

If Grieve is dealt, Corey will get the nod, and play the majority of the time. There really isn't much of an option. Now, if the offerings for Grieve are single A relievers, Hart will probably stay down until September.

Hart may well be the choice to come up regardless of what OF goes down. No one wants to Liefer to play everyday, he's a bat off the bench with pop.

Man,when is the Fielder/Weeks freefall gonna end??I know both have plenty of time to turn things around,but i do admit to getting a bit concerned,even if its a minor concern.I just keep waiting to see some 3-4 or 3-5 games with some extra base hits,then you check and its 0-4 or 1-4 with a single.

Archived