Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Games of Thursday, June 3rd

Thursday's Daily Menu:

All times Central; pitchers subject to change; pre-game audio begins approx. 15 minutes prior to game time listed...

INDIANAPOLIS: RHP Jeff Farnsworth at home vs. Rochester (Twins), 7:00 PM

Audio link: Hey, let us know if anybody gets this to work, please!

www.newstalk1430.com/

Alternate audio link (Red Wings' feed):

www.redwingsbaseball.com/...bcast.html

HUNTSVILLE: LHP Matt Ford for two scheduled innings, followed by RHP Dennis Sarfate at Montgomery (Devil Rays), 7:05 PM

Audio link:

www.espn1450.com/

HIGH DESERT: LHP Manny Parra at Modesto (A's), 9:05 PM; the Northern Division ballparks, in general, aren't nearly as offensively radical as those in the South -- it'll be interesting to see how Manny performs this evening...

Audio link:

www.hdmavs.com/listen_live.htm

BELOIT: TBD at home vs. South Bend (Diamondbacks), 7:00 PM

For the second consecutive series, no online audio available http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Audio link: Hey, let us know if anybody gets this to work, please!

www.newstalk1430.com/

I'm on a Mac (10.2) so I might not be the best barometer, but I haven't been able to get the Indy feed to work for quite some time. Huntsville works fine, as does High Desert (usually), but no Indy.

~Bill

Hey Bill, do you have any troubles getting the MLB feed? Being a fellow Mac guy I've had problems getting Huntsville's feed, going back to last year, and MLB.com's. Not the games so much, but some of the talk programs. I also can't access the scouting videos at home for whatever reason.

Sorry to go a little off-topic, but since it was brought up...

The Stars will try to even this series, Thursday, with Matt Ford (1-1, 3.06) making his comeback....... He'll pitch two innings, then make way for Dennis Sarfate, who has not been scored upon in his last two starts, covering 13 innings......

Hey Bill, do you have any troubles getting the MLB feed? Being a fellow Mac guy I've had problems getting Huntsville's feed, going back to last year, and MLB.com's. Not the games so much, but some of the talk programs. I also can't access the scouting videos at home for whatever reason.

I can get Huntsville's okay, but yes I have trouble with MLB.com, too. It seems to be hit or miss... I have the right plugins installed, but sometimes they don't seem to register with the site. I've had more luck with IE than Mozilla/Firefox, but even that sometimes doesn't work. I got the scouting videos to work, but now I just tried again and they don't. Weird. I have no idea why that would change within the span of a day, but it did.

It's discrimination, I tell ya.

~Bill

Huntsville audio solid for this Windows user as always, although I'm about to swing to High Desert to catch all of Manny Parra's effort this evening...

In progress: Montgomery (Devil Rays) 3, Huntsville 2, after 4.5 innings in Montgomery

One of the few series where the Stars need to use a DH; because Tony Gwynn, Jr. is suspended for this game (on-field actions from the other night), Joel Alvarado is catching and Kade Johnson is your DH, once again leaving the Stars without a single bench position player tonight. As the signature says,

Huntsville audio solid for this Windows user as always, although I'm about to swing to High Desert to catch all of Manny Parra's effort this evening...

Huntsville's feed is usually very reliable for me, too, and tonight's problems went away after a few innings. Robert Portnoy deserves more kudos... he is just a pleasure to listen to.

I, too, have switched over to High Desert and am looking forward to "seeing" Manny pitch again. He'll be in front of family and friends, which is always a big thrill.

Interview with HD pitching coach John Curtis as we speak.

EDIT: Some notes from the conversation with Curtis.

- Forrest Martin got a cortisone shot and has forearm stiffness and pain. He'll be out of commission for a while and they're hoping that works okay. If that doesn't work, he'll have an MRI and perhaps surgery. They are looking for another pitcher to take his spot if he doesn't make it back. He doesn't think it will be a promotion, but rather a new signing... independent ball is the likely source.

- Manny Parra is working on a new fastball grip that they hope gives him some more movement. He's debuting it "in-game" tonight.

~Bill

Batman, Mavs' pitching coach John Curtis was a good chat, talking about a new grip for Manny's fastball tonight, Parra pitching in front of his hometown fans in nearby Modesto, and Bo Hall's progress.

I was distracted, however, when Forrest Martin's name came up, and the possibility of an independent leaguer, rather than a Beloit promotion, coming in. What did you hear about Martin's status?

Final: South Bend (Diamondbacks) 2, Beloit 0

The entire Milwaukee organization's offense has gone into one giant collective yawn...

Beloit Site Game Blurb and Player of the Game Info:

www.snappersbaseball.com/...me_id=1311

Beloit Box Score:

Vinny Rottino with only his second game at second base this year -- young Guilder Rodriguez still invisible since the two-error 9th inning mishap a couple of nights ago; 21-year-old RHP Luis Pena has been solid more often than not in this, his second Midwest League season, but his own error doomed him tonight...

GAME DATE: 6/03/04 SBN at BLT SOUTH BEND 2 AT BELOIT 0 YTD YTD SOUTH BEND AB R H BI AVG BELOIT AB R H BI AVG J.Kaplan LF 4 1 1 0 .276 T.Trofholz RF 2 0 0 0 .303 E.Bonifacio 2B 4 0 0 0 .273 S.Moss CF 4 0 1 0 .167 J.Cook RF 3 0 1 1 .235 D.Anderson LF 3 0 1 0 .275 A.Murillo 3B 4 1 1 0 .276 L.Palmisano DH 4 0 1 0 .307 M.Montero DH 4 0 1 0 .287 V.Rottino 2B 4 0 0 0 .296 E.Varela 1B 3 0 1 1 .285 A.Heether 3B 3 0 1 0 .260 B.Rose CAT 4 0 0 0 .190 M.Ramirez 1B 3 0 1 0 .250 L.Garcia CF 3 0 1 0 .278 T.Marks CAT 3 0 1 0 .197 A.Gonzalez SS 3 0 0 0 .200 G.Acosta SS 3 0 1 0 .171 C.Kinsey PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 L.Pena PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 D.Grybash PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 TOTALS 32 2 6 2 TOTALS 29 0 7 0 SOUTH BEND 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1- 2 6 0 BELOIT 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0- 0 7 1 E--L.Pena. DP--SOUTH BEND 4, BELOIT 1. LOB--SOUTH BEND 5, BELOIT 5. 2B--L.Garcia (8). HBP--T.Trofholz. YTD IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA SOUTH BEND C.Kinsey (W,4-4) 9.0 7 0 0 2 3 0 3.14 BELOIT L.Pena (L,4-2) 8.0 4 1 0 1 6 0 3.57 D.Grybash 1.0 2 1 1 1 1 0 4.99 HB--C.Kinsey. WP--C.Kinsey, D.Grybash. SO--J.Kaplan 2, E.Bonifacio 2, A.Murillo, M.Montero, B.Rose, T.Trofholz, L.Palmisano, A.Heether. BB--J.Cook, E.Varela, T.Trofholz, D.Anderson. T--1:59. A--521

Beloit Game Log:

Lou Palmisano and Rottino had their chance in the first inning; four Snapper double plays hit into, one not-so-traditional....

www.sportsnetwork.com/mer...MEID=12490

I edited my previous post with a recap of the Curtis interview. One thing to add is that the timeframe for determining what to do with Martin is the end of the Northern road trip, which I believe is the 7th (if that's what he meant). At that point, he'll have an MRI and then they'll take action depending on the results. He said it's definitely a forearm, not his elbow, and he doesn't just have stiffness but also some pain.

Very good interview... good questions by Roxy and Curtis is well spoken and was very open with sharing information. Good stuff.

~Bill

Won't Harper be Martin's roster replacement?

I don't think he mentioned him, so that could very well be true. I did have some buffering problems early in the interview, but I only missed about 10 seconds I think. Didn't hear him say anything about Jesse.

~Bill

Final: Indianapolis 3, Rochester (Twins) 1

RHP Jeff Farnsworth dominant in this one; between he and another recent independent ball signee, RHP Clint Weibl, it looks like the Brewers have done their homework based on early returns

Indianapolis Box Score:

Everyone contributes; only Chris Magruder hitless, and he chips in with a sac fly; Corey Hart's OPS now right around .880 after his two hits tonight -- I'm telling ya', that permanent call-up to Milwaukee and plug-in to RF is so much closer than many of you think...

GAME DATE: 6/03/04 ROC at IND ROCHESTER 1 AT INDIANAPOLIS 3 YTD YTD ROCHESTER AB R H BI AVG INDIANAPOLIS AB R H BI AVG A.Ojeda SS 3 0 1 0 .250 C.Magruder LF 3 0 0 1 .264 J.Kubel RF 4 0 0 0 .294 R.Knox CF 4 1 1 0 .270 J.Morneau 1B 4 0 0 0 .346 C.Hart DH 4 0 2 1 .283 M.Restovich LF 4 0 0 0 .240 J.Liefer RF 3 0 1 0 .341 T.Tiffee 3B 4 0 2 0 .286 S.Sheldon 1B 2 1 1 1 .220 R.Owens 3B 0 0 0 0 .234 L.Figueroa 3B 4 0 1 0 .293 T.Dunwoody CF 4 0 0 0 .333 S.Scarbrough SS 3 0 1 0 .222 J.Rabe DH 4 1 2 0 .264 M.Erickson 2B 3 1 1 0 .214 C.Heintz CAT 2 0 0 0 .306 A.Delgado CAT 2 0 1 0 .133 B.Simmons CAT 1 0 1 1 .219 J.Farnsworth PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 B.Marsters CAT 0 0 0 0 .162 D.Reichert PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 L.Rodriguez 2B 3 0 1 0 .240 J.Childers PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 D.Gassner PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 A.Johnson PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 TOTALS 33 1 7 1 TOTALS 28 3 9 3 ROCHESTER 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0- 1 7 1 INDIANAPOLIS 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 X- 3 9 0 E--A.Ojeda. DP--ROCHESTER 3, INDIANAPOLIS 1. LOB--ROCHESTER 6, INDIANAPOLIS 6. 2B--J.Rabe (14), R.Knox (8), M.Erickson (7). HR-- S.Sheldon (5). SF--C.Magruder. SH--A.Delgado. YTD IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA ROCHESTER D.Gassner (L,6-4) 7.0 9 3 3 2 0 1 3.59 A.Johnson 1.0 0 0 0 1 2 0 3.00 INDIANAPOLIS J.Farnsworth (W,1-0) 7.0 4 0 0 0 2 0 1.13 D.Reichert 0.1 2 1 1 1 0 0 1.37 J.Childers (S,15) 1.2 1 0 0 0 3 0 1.35 SO--J.Morneau 2, M.Restovich, T.Dunwoody, J.Rabe, C.Hart, S.Sheldon. BB--A.Ojeda, J.Liefer, S.Sheldon 2. T--2:02. A--6084

Indianapolis Game Log:

Double play ball in the 5th bails Farnsworth out of his only jam...

www.sportsnetwork.com/mer...MEID=13077

LHP Manny Parra allows only an infield single thus far, striking out four...

He sounds pretty dominant, too. I haven't heard anything about the new fastball grip and its impact on his pitches' movement, but he seems to be doing okay.

I did get a kick out of Roxy Bernstein's comment that "Parra's stats at Sports Network are wrong... but what's new?". There are so many errors in their database that one can't really use them anymore for fear of citing incorrect numbers. The game logs are nice, but the site is a mess and they aren't doing a very good job of quality control. But, I digress.

If you're just browsing and not listening to the broadcast, check it out. Roxy does a really good job, and the Modesto team is stocked with some real good prospects. High Desert ain't too shabby, either, with guys like Parra and Vandenberg and Crabbe and Bibbs et. al. Give the Desert some love!

~Bill

Archived