Brewer Fanatic

Suggestion: Replace Weeks with Gwynn on the roster

AJAY

Whenever we start losing, I always lose sleep thinking about moves that could be made. So here comes another edition . . .

I am personally ready to see Rickie Weeks get sent back to Triple A. He is starting to approach Chad Moeller status in terms of his hitting ability (or lack of it). I just hate that he seems like an automatic out and that you can't count on him to execute because he might strikeout.

On a related note, maybe the Brewers need to move Bill Hall to second base. I have a theory that one of the reasons Hall's offense has declined is because playing in the outfield results in more wear and tear on the legs. You have to run around a lot more (including going back and forth from the dugout). I just think he might be a little gassed out there and his legs might not be conditioned for it.

If you put Tony Gwynn in center, he can at least hit about .260 and put the bat on the ball more often in key situations. I also love his defense in centerfield. I also think Gwynn has a better makeup for a number 8 hitter in the lineup.

I'll pass on all of the above. We know why Weeks is struggling, but is a guy with no power who has done nothing for quite some time really an upgrade? I don't believe so.

I like Hall in CF/Weeks at 2B over Gwynn in CF/Hall at 2B.

Since the ASB, Rickie still has a .350 OBP.

He hasn't been hitting the ball well at the plate, but he is still getting on base at good clip.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I know i'm grasping for anything here with Rickie,but he's at least making more contact lately.The counter arguement could be he's rarely hitting the ball that hard,i'll take that though over swinging at one slider off the plate after another.

I don't want him sent down,the only reason i would is MAYBE if he had some success in the minors,it would inject Rickie with more confidence.Weeks doesn't strike me as being a type to get down on himself easy,but the guy can't buy a hit right now and is slugging under .350 since April.I wonder if his head is all messed up at the plate and simply having some success,even if it's in the minors,could get him out of this deep funk.

I just don't understand the lovefest with Gwynn. He's a punch-and-judy that doesn't hit for enough average or have a good enough OBP to justify him being in the lineup every day.

Terrible OPS, and with our team's ability to play smallball, the times he does pop a hit to short center would probably be squandered anyway.

He does play better defense than Hall, but great CF defense is not going to help us hold onto the division at this point.

Hall is a mainstay in our lineup for the next few years, Gwynn, not necessarily. Hall has finally adusted to CF and I don't think a change is in order. If we're not going to have the patience with Weeks to stick it out with him for the year and want to demote him back to AAA, we'd be better off just platooning Graffy and Counsell at 2B, as horrible as that sounded earlier in the year.

I hate the idea. Weeks has shown signs of life including taking his walks and hitting the ball hard including today when he should have had a rocket base hit but Estrada is slower than my toddler niece, and Gwynn is only good for pinch hitting and CF defense. I don't think those are our problem areas right now. I think some moves might need to be made, but this is not one of them.

Enough already with the love for Gwynn. The guy cant get the ball out of the infield. At least Weeks gets on base and he has far more potential to get out of his slump than Gwynn ever has of hitting. Gwynn is nothing more than a 5th outfielder. The guy has shown throughout his career in the minors that he cant hit. That will never change. If Melvin is smart he will take advantage of the Gwynn name and trade him before the rest of baseball comes to their senses and realizes that he just isnt any good.

I am for replacing Weeks with Hall, but the guy who has earned a promotion is Joe Dillon, who now has an OPS well over 1000 at AAA. The team could also send down a pitcher, and recall Gross to form a platoon in RF that would likely far out-produce Weeks this year. With Weeks wrist injuries, this just isn't going to be his year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

There are still 13 pitchers on the roster which is one too many. Both Gwynn and Gross have cannot be brought back up until 10 days after they were sent down (except to replace an injured player).

When Linebrink comes back from his parental leave, Gross should be able to be brought back.

As for Weeks, I'd send him down and replace him with Callix Crabbe. Crabbe deserves a shot. He's the equivalent of Gwynn offensively with more power. Defensively, he covers ground and has made just 4 errors all year.

Counsell and Graffanino are fine as backups and role players. Having to start either on an everyday basis weakens the bench.

I would have thought Balfour's performance would have tempered the enthusiam for Dillon. Joe may make a decent role player for someone, but pretending the 25th spot on the roster is important and that he is somehow ultra qualified is a bit much.

I can't believe Crabbe's numbers changed to a MLB equivalent are any higher than Rickie's.

I agree with a few posts above, what's with this Gwynn facination?

Gwynn has improved quickly since AA Huntsville, IMO, but he is not the player who started the season white hot. As he got more at bats, you can see that he is NOT a .300 hiter. With no power, what you're getting is Gwynn's solid defense and speed.

Weeks is faster. so Gwynn is an upgrade in defensie only with this move. Plus if Weks gets going/healthy, he could still drop 20 bombs and get more RBIs than Gwynn.

Doing this move to try and light a fire under Weeks would be the ONLY reason to make it. It wouldn't make the Brewers better per se.

I too do not agree with this idea. I'll take a struggling Weeks over Gwynn right now for sure. While Rickie has been pretty awful, Gwynn has been pretty bad also.

Gwynn since June 1:

.182 /.265/.205/.470

Rickie since June 18:

.156/.303/.233/.536

Both have been bad, but Rickie is hitting better. He's getting on base at a better clip, and he even has a slightly better slg%, even though his power is waaaaaay down. I don't hate Gwynn, but he's really just nothing more than a 5th outfielder.

It doesn't make any sense to me to swap Weeks/Gwynn.

I think soon Gross will be brought up once we decide to not have 13 pitchers. Gross unlike Gwynn has demonstrated an ability to get on base better.

I think if we were to send Weeks down, I would hope we would replace Weeks with someone that wouldn't ensure that Graffy was our starting 2B -- If that person is not at Nashville, then I am not sure what the point of sending Weeks down is.

Kind of off topic, but didn't want to start a new thread with a Weeks thread still open. But what about moving Weeks to the lead off spot. He has a higher OBP at the 1-spot and seems to get on base with no one (according to his situational splits). Sure some is inflated by his pre-DL numbers, and don't reflect his slump.

But putting him in a situation where he can take a walk, and maybe see pitches to hit, can help him out of his funk. THis would put Corey Hart into the 5th or 6th batting spot. He seems to hit better with men on base. THat would push Menchkins and Estrada/Miller into the 7/8th spots.

I know YOst did that a few games in Cincy and Weeks had like 1 hit and 3 BBs, but with Braun, Fielder set to hit after Weeks maybe he'll see more hittable pitches and break out of the funk. Certainly hitting 8th and/or riding the pine hasn't helped.

After checking out the Sounds stats it really seems as though Dillon has earned a shot.

After what I've read, he is old, but he retired for a few years due to a bad back injury.

He seems like a good choice as a UT IF if someone is going to be sent down. Who knows, maybe he'll mash up in the big leagues if given a shot.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived