Brewer Fanatic

Aug / Sept. Transactions: LHP Sam Narron, Waivers, Texas

MassBrew

According to the Sports Network transactions and roster updates, LHP Jeff Housman has been returned to Huntsville.

I may be wrong here, but I don't trust this information at all. For a number of reasons, I don't think TSN is very conscientious when it comes to the services they provide. They've had Ozzie Chavez's and Paul Stewart's stats wrong all season, mistaking Ozzie for Endy early in the year and giving him Endy's line for a couple of games, then leaving out a complete pitching line by Stewart in a suspended game that he completed for Sarfate. Recently looking for Southern League transactions, I got the Sally League instead for a week. What more can I say? I'm very skeptical of this information.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I knew at the time I saw it (Housman to Huntsville from Indy) within Sports Network's transaction page, that I should have cut-and-pasted it for my own sanity. That's not the first nor last time I'll be burned by that outfit.

It really is ridiculous. milb.com has this SportsNetwork page which is sometimes updated more than once a day (particularly for AAA and AA):

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...es/?id=686

But nowhere do they list an archived or accumulated transaction log. As soon as any transaction report is updated, it's over-ridden.

Beloit had a timely and nicely maintained transaction page before Sports Network took over. High Desert hasn't tied in with Sports Network, but unfortunately have stopped updating their transactions as well. MLB.com gave up long ago, and Baseball America's reports don't include transfers of any kind.

The long and short of it is, if anyone comes across a web-based minor league transaction page that accumulates and covers the full year, let us know.

I really need to write those Sports Network bums...

C/3B Chris Coste has been activated from his stint on the temporary inactive / suspended list (depends on which source you read, as to where he was listed) -- regardless, he's available for duty as of this evening, according to the Indy pre-game notes.

I agree Lend. Unless he's made major changes since the Fall League, he needs work. Still, he draws some walks, has great speed, has gap power, etc, so perhaps the 3rd spot might be okay. Might as well put him in the middle of the lineup for a while to see if a) he can help the team more there, and b) by focusing more on hitting than running, he can improve his offense

Only the Seattle Mariners have been more active in purchasing players out of the independent ranks than the Brewers in recent seasons. Milwaukee hopes to mine another in their latest acquisition, RHP Travis Teeter out of the Northern League via the Lincoln Saltdogs, where Teeter has been a teammate of former Brewer farmhand RHP Ryan Trytten in 2004. Teeter will make his Brewer debut with High Desert.

The now 24-year-old Teeter was a 35th round draft pick for the Astros in 2001 after his junior year at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) in Troy, NY. (My brother's a grad, but that's neither here nor there, is it http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif ?) Teeter decided to return for his senior year, and then signed as a non-drafted free agent with Baltimore, where he reached low-A ball in 2003 -- his WHIP of 1.11 in 114 pro affiliated innings is worth noting:

www.sports-wired.com/play...Name=CCEAC

Teeter's 2004 numbers (strikeout numbers are down):

www.baseballamerica.com/c...yer=teeter

http://www.saltdogs.com/images/PlayerPhotos/TravisTeeter.jpg

It may be worth noting that the Brewers have now purchased two indy league pitchers named "Weibl" (as in Clint Weibl(s) wobble but don't fall down) and "Teeter".

Sorry, couldn't resist.

And no, don't confuse Travis Teeter with country music star Travis Tritt.

http://sonynashville.com/TravisTritt/images/gallery/images/tt1.jpg

From the Indianapolis Pre-Game Notes (along with others on this forum):

FIGUEROA SHELVED, KNOX MOVES UP: Tribe infielder Luis Figueroa has been placed on the disabled list and will undergo an MRI today to determine the extent of his injury incurred last night in a collision with Louisville first baseman Jim Chamblee. Figueroa has appeared in 111 games, hit .266 with four home runs and 45 RBI. Outfielder Ryan Knox has been recalled from Double-A Huntsville. In 66 games with Huntsville, Knox hit .287 with four home runs and 19 RBI and swiped 10 bases. From May 5 to June 6, Knox appeared in 30 games with Indianapolis and hit .268 with one home run, 13 RBI and seven stolen bases.

Luis Figueroa is cool -- 30 years old, did all he was asked to do this year at AAA, 5'9", 140 pounds dripping wet, amazing he's had a pro career that brought him to this level and sustained it.

And as was noted elsewhere, OF Ben Van Iderstine to Huntsville -- odd timing there, too, with a banged up and suspension-challenged Mavericks roster? But hey, unless we hear about another corresponding move, it's only High Desert, right, Reid?

And as was noted elsewhere, OF Ben Van Iderstine to Huntsville -- odd timing there, too, with a banged up and suspension-challenged Mavericks roster? But hey, unless we hear about another corresponding move, it's only High Desert, right, Reid?

Apologies for the wise remark above in this case, as the Brewers did get the Mavericks another warm body. Not wanting to disrupt Beloit's outfield rotation for its playoff push, 22-year-old Helena corner outfielder Jake Serfass will get some Cal League AB's in. Serfass signed in June as an undrafted free agent out of the University of West Virginia.

I didn't see this note anywhere else here . . . .

From Adam McCalvy

In a busy day of player moves Friday, the organization promoted outfielder Ryan Knox from Huntsville to Indianapolis, outfielder Ben Van Iderstine from High Desert to Huntsville and infielder Hernan Iribarren from the rookie Arizona league to Beloit.

The Hurricane is moving inland

http://www.biblenews1.com/history2/pictures/hurricane/20020902.1315hernan.jpg

Well that certainly goes against Melvin's past history

I would agree, I had suggested in a another thread that some patterns are showing up on Melvins promotion philosophies...well these are pattern breakers.

It could be that these players are pattern breaker players (damn good) or that the patterns of a season and a half were just incomplete (small sample). We will see.

I can't help but wonder if the Gallardo promotion happens without the suspensions. On one side, you had a depleted pitching staff in need of innings from somebody, anybody. On the other hand, Kloosterman was involved in the incident and hadn't pitched in several days.

At any rate, Yo did struggle in his Class A debut. However, I think he deserves a mulligan having arrived the same day on short notice. His velocity was good(Peoria had one of those in-scoreboard radar guns which topped him at 93mph), but his location was not. He was consistently behind in the count, only to give in with pitches in the upper half. Peoria is a good hitting team and made him pay for his mistakes. His line was made worse by the fact that all inherited runners were allowed to score after Luis Pena entered the game.

Kloosterman hadn't pitched in several days because he was due to pitch on that Sunday. He was out at 4 am when he was the starting pitcher at a 2pm game.

Also, Gallardo flew to Peoria on Sunday, not Monday.

Archived