Here's the link to the Spring Transactions thread should you need to review:

pub123.ezboard.com/fbrewe...mp;stop=40

And to the April / May thread:

p082.ezboard.com/fbrewers...mp;stop=40

And to the June thread:

The July thread:

Thanks to poster rpms6 on the Draft Forum for noticing this signing of an undrafted free agent, RHP Brandon Hundt, a teammate of Helena first baseman Grant Richardson at Washington State this past college season:

wsucougars.collegesports....don00.html

No word yet on Hundt's initial team destination with the Crew.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also noted is the signing out of Texas Tech of corner outfielder Josh Brady, the Brewers' 19th round pick this summer. Here's what we posted on the Draft Forum back in June:

Quote:
Texas Tech, whose Dan Law Field is the Coors Field of the Big 12 Conference, has its usual share of position players putting up big numbers. The top prospects are 1B/LF Josh Brady (.356-19-84, 30 steals) and OF Michael Mask (.325-14-66). Both are short, stocky guys with compact strokes that feature some uppercut. Brady, part of a national championship team last year at the CC of Southern Nevada, ranked fourth in Division I in RBIs entering the NCAA regionals.
and

"Brady's Perfection Earns Him Recognition," University Daily, Byline Joey Kirk, February 11, 2004

Quote:
At 23 years old, first baseman Josh Brady is already experiencing success as a student, a husband, a soon-to-be father and a Texas Tech baseball player. When he thought his life could not be any more perfect, he got a hit every time he stepped up to the plate Friday.

In the three-game series against Campbell last weekend, Brady had a perfect second game, going 5-for-5 with four runs and six RBI. This season he is ranked third in batting for Tech with a .571 average, a total of 11 RBI and two home runs.

With those statistics, the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association believed no other player more deserved to be named the player of the week. Along with that honor, Brady received the Big 12 nomination as its player of the week.

In his first year playing for the Red Raiders and after only three games, Brady said the feeling is overwhelming.

"It's quite the accomplishment," he said. "This is my third year in college ball."

Prior to joining Tech's team, Brady played at the Community College of Southern Nevada for two seasons. After hearing about the Red Raiders from former and current teammate, junior catcher Cooper Fouts, Brady said he wanted to come play for head coach Larry Hays.

"I played with [Cooper] my freshman year, and he came up here and I'd heard a lot about it," he said. "He enjoyed it, and being from Utah, I still heard things although it is so far away."

Now wearing the red and black, Brady has one season of eligibility after the 2004 campaign. With several written goals, he said there is one that tops the list.

"My No. 1 goal is to have fun," Brady said. "That's just one thing. I want to take advantage of things that go my way."

Lately things have aligned perfectly for Brady. After getting married in June, he said he and his wife, RaKelly, are already expecting their first child.

"I've got a good vibe from the rest of the team about it," Brady said. "It's exciting for me. It makes it a lot easier, in my mind, to have more fun out here."

With both Brady and his wife being busy during the days, he said Hays makes it easier with time off at night.

"She makes it easy on me and on my free time," Brady said. "She works as well during the days so she's pretty busy."

On the diamond, Brady had to adjust to playing first base rather than originally planned. Because of injuries, Hays said Brady stepped in to fill the spot and has shown potential to keep him there all season long.

"We didn't intend him to play there. He was gonna play in the outfield and back up in the infield," he said. "It may just work out for him, though. He's done a good job and added depth to our lineup."

At the plate, Hays said Brady has enough mental toughness to play well at Tech and against top competitors in the nation.

"He had a great weekend. He's a good hitter, and we hope that he has a lot of those streaks," he said. "He's doing those things and hopefully that's the kind of player he is."

Getting ready for his at-bats, Brady said slowing down the pace of the game was important to his success.

"I was taught to slow my thoughts," he said. "I slowed down my body and slowed down the game and it worked perfectly."

For the future and what it holds, Brady said he does not know but hopes his success continues to be as sweet.

"I've worked hard and I just have to keep my composure," he said. "It's a humbling game and it can bite you at anytime."

and

From Lindon, Utah, hometown of 19th round OF Josh Brady out of Texas Tech:

Pleasant Grove's Josh Brady was taken by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 19th round. Brady just finished his junior year at Texas Tech and must now decide whether or not to take a shot at professional baseball. Brady hit .365, with 20 home runs and 88 RBI.

"I know the biggest reason I went so late was because of my age (23). I know that if I turn it down, I will be turning (professional baseball) down for good," Brady said. "I just had a daughter two weeks ago and I've got to decide if that's what I want to do. I'm excited to come back to school too, so either way."

Brady says he's three semesters away from graduating and looks forward to getting a degree in accounting.

If Brady does sign with the Brewers he will likely start his career with Helena in the Pioneer League, which means he would play against the Provo Angels.

"That would be fun to play (in Provo)," Brady added. "But it all depends on what they come up with."

The Texas Tech people were pretty positive he was coming back, so I'm sure this will come to them as a shock.

Is that why he fell to the 19th round? I thought for sure he'd go much higher.

This signing makes me http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/happy.gif !!!

Adam McCalvy of MLB.com:

The team signed three more draft picks before the game including 19th round pick Josh Brady, a 23-year-old left fielder from Texas Tech University. The team also signed non-drafted free agent Brandon Hundt, a right-hander from Washington State University. Both players will join Helena of the rookie Pioneer League.

Signed three more draft picks? Typo?

Richardon has proved he could hit in rookie league time to move up,any other spot projected except 1st.

Anthony Festa a 3rd baseman with the lack of prospects will we see him moving up.

Heether also another 3rd baseman who should move be able to move u quickly.

also Mannon and Brady both seem like corner Of prospects with some pop

Just read this on today's Daily Dish:

? The Brewers promoted first baseman Grant Richardson from Rookie-level Helena to low Class A Beloit. A 14th-round pick out of Washington State in June, Richardson was leading the Pioneer League with 42 RBIs, 61 hits and 16 doubles. He was hitting .367 with five homers and had shown good discipline at the plate, drawing 32 walks and striking out just 20 times. "He's got a solid approach to hitting," Brewers farm director Reid Nichols said. "I like his stroke, I think he's going to be a good big league hitter."

As was mistakenly put in the July transactions, in addition to Richardson being promoted, LHP Jared Theodorakos was promoted to Beloit and put on the inactive list so he can play for Greece in the Olympics. C Tim Marks was released to make room for Richardson.

Stars' announcer Robert Portnoy just told us that RHP Jesse Harper will be shut down for the rest of the regular season with a strained ulnar colateral ligament in his pitching elbow. Harper just returned to Huntsville from Milwaukee. Portnoy was adamant that it wasn't as serious as it sounds, and Harper may be able to pitch in instructionals or even the fall league, but heck, that still ain't good news, now is it?

The bad news is tht he will not be able to help the Stars during th eplayoff run. The good news is that it is not Tommy John surgery for another of our promising pitchers. I was able to watch him pitch in his AA debut and he had very little trouble with Birmingham. The only time they got to him was in the fifth and I found out that Birmingham had stolen the signs after they got a runner on second. The manager went out there and they made an adjustment and he was back in cruise control until he hit his pitch count. We may see him in the Arizona Fall league. The Brewers need to see him agaisnt top competition becasue he is on the 40 man and that becomes critical for next year.

Perhaps not an official transaction, but like the Jesse Harper injury update, as good a place as any to note:

Brewer announcer Jim Powell reported on-air on Ben Diggins tonight:

A setback for the big RHP down in Arizona with a bone spur in his pitching elbow. No operation for now.

With the need for 40-man roster spots increasing this winter, you've got to believe that Diggins (and Nick Neugebauer) are in danger of losing their spots. If other clubs can carry them (and rehab them) -- heck, often clubs will claim a player like this, and then outright them themselves, hoping the player won't be claimed a second time.

At some point one has to wonder if the time, money and effort spent on guys like Diggins and Neugy are even worth the potential they offer.

wait wait wait RoCo! How can you compare Neugy and Diggins? Neugy has had at least two SHOULDER surgeries, and it seems guys simply don't come back from them. D'Amico and Hershiser were rarities. Neugy has missed parts of what, 4 seasons?

Diggins had Tommy John surgery about 12 months ago (seems to me it was mid-August last year) after trying to rehab for a few weeks. Still, you're making it sound like Diggins has been out forever, and it's simply been 12 months.

According to Baseball America, LHP and Canadian Olympian Mike Kusiewicz of High Desert was given his release.

This differs from the transactions for fellow farmhands Pete Rasmusen and Jared Theodorakos (Greek Olympians), who were placed on the temporary incative list.

Did Housman get promoted just days before my scheduled interview? I see he's listed on Indy's roster, but I didn't see anything listed in this thread.

I'm on a 28.8 modem while on the road, so my browsing is VERY limited.

Thanks.

According to the Sports Network transactions and roster updates, LHP Jeff Housman has been returned to Huntsville.

It now appears he was brought up to assist with the Indianapolis doubleheader with both Jorge de la Rosa and Ben Hendrickson unavailable for AAA duty this weekend.

I guess this somewhat eliminates/answers some of the questions I had on the Eveland to AA thread. However, I'm still not sure I agree promoting him to a team 3 games back with 22 to go from a team tied for the last playoff spot. Plus, the Snappers only have to be one of the top TWO teams this half, while the Stars are first or home for the winter.

Archived