Brewer Fanatic

The Winter League Thread; Beresford Shines Down Under, Mates

MassBrew

Get your translator web pages ready!

Mexican, Dominican, Puerto Rican, and Venezuelan League action -- darn near impossible to keep track of, but always fun trying (or maybe not).

I mentioned in the Alumni Thread that the Mexican Pacific League season is underway, but there doesn't seem to be a current Brewer involved (C/3B Chris Coste is there, but he's likely a free agent at this time).

After a year in which the league schedule was cancelled due to government upheaval and unsafe conditions, winter baseball is back in Venezuela, with games played thus far on Thursday and Friday, the 14th and 15th.

The Venezuelan League web site is here -- it has a daily story on each game, which more importantly for stat hunters, includes the box score.

www.lvbp.com/

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a league-wide roster breakdown, which means it's on to the individual team sites -- ugh.

Brandon Gemoll is playing first base for the Aragua Tigres, and is 1-for-8 in those first two games. Pretty bold step to take the assignment by Brandon, who is the only Brewer link to that roster. Best wishes to him.

Fans who are viewing this post today (Saturday AM) will find a home page photo of RHP Glenn Woolard on the site of the Lara Cardenales, as he's slated to go for the Redbirds today:

www.cardenalesdelara.com/

It looks like we're officially adopting Lara as our Venezuelan team this year, as a concentrated number of Brewer farmhands will be in their camp. This gets confusing as well, as often dozens of players (in this case with Lara, 86! players) can be listed on any one Venezuelan League roster. Perhaps some of them are only on board for workouts. Heck, many of these guys are believed to be still in instructional camp with the Brewers in Maryvale. Anyway, when you click on the Lara roster page, you get an excel spreadsheet view which includes infielders Hernan Iribarren, Guilder Rodriguez, and Gilberto Acosta, outfielder Freddy Parejo, and catcher Franklin Tua. Here's something frustrating -- Glenn Woolard's not listed! What's up with that?

www.cardenalesdelara.com/...er2004.xls

Pitchers are "lanzadores". I like that!

A quick scan of other Venezuelan League rosters didn't show other Brewers, but believe me, it's an inexact science. And don't even get into the former Brewers or Brewer farmhands on these rosters -- they're everywhere (Jim Rushford as a for instance).

The Dominican League is apparently next, opening on Oct. 22nd, with the Puerto Rican League opening November 16th.

With Prince Fielder and David Krynzel (and Manager Frank Kremblas) among those still to be tracked down for winter ball, I'm sure we'll get some minimal updates from Adam McCalvy of MLB.com on their progress.

I'm going to kind of sit tight for a couple of weeks (in order to get the Brewers front office a chance to please prepare a list for us -- wink-wink!) before asking our Brewer friends for a confirmation of all players in winter league action. Then again, these players are free to take these assignments if they wish, and the Brewers have sometimes been "surprised" to see certain players in action in the past -- Luis Martinez among them, I believe.

I may peek in occasionally, but to be honest, detailed daily updates on winter league action isn't one of my favorite Brewerfan tasks, and probably isn't necessary. I know we have some winter ball lurkers, like our poster friend EdgarDiazRocks, who don't mind perusing the latin sites. If anyone does have winter ball news for us, please add on to this "official thread". Thanks!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey your an Edgar Diaz fan you had better pay attention to the winter leagues. If you blinked you missed Kiki's MLB career.

Well I know I'll be all over the Puerto Rican leagues this year for news of my boy Charlie Fermaint.

No sign of Prince and Co. in the first week of Box Scores in Mexico, but people pop in all the time for "Special Guest Appearances"

And for some reason, years ago, I have adopted The Hermosillo Orange Growers as my official Mexican league team.

Jesus Cota is a stud. We'll see if he can steal any AB away from Erubiel Durazo this year.

Since my younger son is a big fan of Brandon Gemoll, we had to check out the web site for Los Tigres. Between the two of us, we have third-grade-level conversational Spanish, but we've been able to muddle through parts of it. We found the place to click on "juego online", and found an interesting version of mlb's "gameday". It's not yet clear how the two sides of the screen relate to one another, since they don't seem to exactly be in sync, and we're going to have to get some translations of some of the terms (one of the guys at work is Venezuelan), but so far my son is thrilled. Also playing in today's game is Alex Delgado and Todd Erdos has come in to pitch in the 6th or 7th inning.

My son sends his thanks, MassBrew, for helping him track down his hero!

Gemoll with 2 more hits. Singles

avg. ab h 2b 3b hr bi bb k

GEMOLL BRANDON (TIGR) .188 16 3 0 0 0 0 0 1

Is hitting cleanup for los Tigres

BTW: nothing more entertaining than translation programs.

Quote:

Ramon I castrate unloaded towing triple of two races to break tie in the high part of the seventh episode, and the Tigers of Aragua prevailed 6-4 before the Sharks of the Guaira, in encounter disputed in the park of the University City.

The set of Maracay, that defends the title conquered in the previous edition, is now two successful in four commitments and occupies the second position in the Division Western Center.

With the even slate to a rayita, Brandon Gemoll initiated the turn visitor with infield hit before the left-handed relevista Richard Salazar. The veteran Raul "Tucupita" Marcano sacrificed itself to take it until the intermediate one and Gerald Casadiego replaced to Salazar in the lomita of the litoralenses.

Wilfredo Romero, of emergent by Alexander Romero, negotiated ticket. After Gabriel Towers gave to the second out when fanning third strike, I castrate directed the ball until the corner of the right forest to take to the rubber to Gemoll and Romero.

David Krynzel made his Mexican League debut Saturday:

GAME DATE: 10/23/04 MAZ at NAV MAZATLAN 4 AT NAVOJOA 12 YTD YTD MAZATLAN AB R H BI AVG NAVOJOA AB R H BI AVG M.Flores 2B 5 1 2 1 .333 D.Clark LF 3 2 1 0 .316 H.Gomez SS 4 0 1 0 .276 [b]D.Krynzel CF 5 3 1 2 .200[/b] L.Sutton 1B 4 0 1 1 .250 M.Burkhart 1B 5 2 3 1 .367 J.Dubois LF 4 1 1 0 .241 R.Pemberton DH 4 1 2 3 .269 J.Borchard CF 3 1 2 0 .172 O.Robles 2B 5 0 3 4 .333 J.Sandberg 3B 3 0 0 1 .214 J.Headley RF 1 0 0 0 .172 R.Saucedo DH 4 0 1 1 .148 J.Espinoza PH 1 0 0 0 .000 D.Fornes RF 4 0 0 0 .259 J.Espinoza RF 0 0 0 0 .000 R.Lugo CAT 4 1 1 0 .250 J.Aceves CAT 5 0 0 0 .261 D.Magee PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 I.Lara 3B 5 2 3 0 .286 H.Castllanos PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 L.Cruz SS 3 0 0 0 .160 E.Mora PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 R.Diaz SS 2 2 2 0 .250 E.Quintnilla PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 I.Pineda PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 L.Munoz PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 J.Valerio PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 W.Silva PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 M.Mendoza PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 TOTALS 35 4 9 4 TOTALS 39 12 15 10 MAZATLAN 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 2 0- 4 9 4 NAVOJOA 0 0 2 0 0 3 4 3 X-12 15 1 E--M.Flores, H.Gomez, J.Dubois, J.Sandberg, O.Robles. DP--MAZATLAN 1, NAVOJOA 1. LOB--MAZATLAN 8, NAVOJOA 13. 2B--L.Sutton (1), J.Borchard (1), R.Lugo (1), M.Burkhart (4), O.Robles (2), I.Lara (1). HR--M.Flores (2). SB--D.Clark (2), J.Headley (1), R.Diaz (2). CS--D.Clark. HBP--H.Gomez. SF--L.Sutton. YTD IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA MAZATLAN D.Magee (L,1-1) 5.0 5 2 2 6 3 0 2.70 H.Castllanos 0.1 1 1 1 0 0 0 27.00 E.Mora 0.1 3 2 2 2 0 0 9.00 E.Quintnilla 0.2 1 1 0 0 1 0 9.00 L.Munoz 0.1 0 2 0 1 0 0 3.86 W.Silva 1.1 5 4 3 1 1 0 20.25 NAVOJOA I.Pineda (W,1-0) 6.0 5 1 1 2 9 0 3.24 J.Valerio 1.0 1 1 1 0 0 1 1.93 M.Mendoza 2.0 3 2 2 0 0 0 4.05 HB--I.Pineda. WP--W.Silva, I.Pineda. SO--M.Flores, L.Sutton, J.Dubois 3, J.Borchard, R.Saucedo, D.Fornes, R.Lugo, J.Espinoza, J.Aceves 2, I.Lara, L.Cruz. [b]BB[/b]--J.Borchard, J.Sandberg, D.Clark 3, [b]D.Krynzel[/b], M.Burkhart, R.Pemberton 2, J.Headley 3. T--3:35. A--4913

Gemoll and Wollard haven't taken the field in a while but FA Adrian Hernandez has had a good outing down there . . .and a bad one too'

Quote:
Adrian Hernandez tossed six scoreless innings for Lara of the Venezuelan Winter League yesterday.

LANZADOR JJ JI JG JP JS JC JB IP H HR CP CL BB SO EFE ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ HERNANDEZ ADRIAN (CARD) 2 2 1 1 0 0 0 7.2 12 1 5 5 2 7 5.87 

This picture would appear to be Dave Krynzel in Mexico (would captions kill you guys?)

http://www.mayosbeisbol.com/galerias/inauguracion/ina102.jpg

This picture would certainly be Frankie Kremblas with las señoras jóvenes

http://www.mayosbeisbol.com/galerias/inauguracion/ina86.jpg

Quote:
It's been several games since Brandon Gemoll made an appearance...

Looking around in Los Tigres (Venezuelan League) website today, and found this message in their fan forum:

www.tigresdearagua.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=114

... which, as best as I can guess, says that Brandon Gemoll has returned to the US to have his injured rotator cuff diagnosed.

(in case that link thing doesn't work, this is the site: )

http://www.tigresdearagua.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=114

the area of concern in the latin leagues, from what I've heard, is that if a team loses, it's common for players to be threatened, brawls to break out, etc. As one person put it, it makes sense that Izzy kicked the catcher in the minors, because in winterball, if you go for the pitcher, the catcher might have a knife on him, so you take him out first

GAME DATE: 10/31/04 NAV at MOC NAVOJOA 2 AT MOCHIS 11 YTD YTD NAVOJOA AB R H BI AVG MOCHIS AB R H BI AVG [b]D.Krynzel CF 3 1 0 0 .290 [/b] R.Johnson CF 4 1 1 1 .450 O.Robles 3B 3 1 1 0 .250 M.Santana DH 5 0 1 0 .438 D.Clark LF 4 0 2 1 .328 J.Furmaniak 2B 5 2 2 1 .310 M.Burkhart 1B 3 0 0 1 .286 J.Bass RF 2 1 0 1 .281 J.Davis DH 3 0 0 0 .400 R.Orantes 3B 4 0 2 1 .350 J.Headley RF 3 0 0 0 .222 J.Kroeger LF 2 2 0 0 .268 E.Vega CAT 3 0 1 0 .167 S.Soto CAT 2 2 0 1 .239 J.Aceves CAT 0 0 0 0 .220 C.Sievers 1B 3 2 2 5 .378 J.Brena 2B 3 0 0 0 .125 T.Robles SS 4 1 1 0 .224 L.Cruz SS 4 0 1 0 .277 I.Lomeli PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 H.Montemayor PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 A.Marcado PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 J.Alvarez PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 M.Nieblas PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 M.Mendoza PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 A.Manzano PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 I.Flores PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 J.Martinez PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 TOTALS 29 2 5 2 TOTALS 31 11 9 10 NAVOJOA 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0- 2 5 1 MOCHIS 0 0 0 1 3 1 6 0 X-11 9 1 E--E.Vega, C.Sievers. DP--NAVOJOA 2, MOCHIS 1. LOB--NAVOJOA 7, MOCHIS 4. 2B--O.Robles (3), R.Orantes (2). HR--C.Sievers (3). SB-- [b]D.Krynzel (2)[/b], R.Orantes (1), J.Kroeger (2). CS--J.Aceves. HBP-- R.Johnson, S.Soto 2, C.Sievers. SF--M.Burkhart, J.Bass. YTD IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA NAVOJOA H.Montemayor (L,0-3) 5.0 4 5 3 1 5 0 5.21 J.Alvarez 1.0 4 3 3 1 0 0 6.00 M.Mendoza 1.0 1 3 3 1 1 1 6.23 I.Flores 1.0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0.00 MOCHIS I.Lomeli 3.2 4 2 2 3 4 0 4.32 A.Marcado (W,2-0) 2.1 0 0 0 1 4 0 0.00 M.Nieblas 1.0 0 0 0 0 1 0 3.18 A.Manzano 1.0 1 0 0 0 1 0 3.52 J.Martinez 1.0 0 0 0 2 1 0 0.00 HB--H.Montemayor 3, M.Mendoza. PB--J.Aceves. SO--[b]D.Krynzel[/b], O.Robles, D.Clark, M.Burkhart, J.Davis 2, J.Headley 2, E.Vega, J.Brena 2, R.Johnson, M.Santana, J.Furmaniak 2, J.Kroeger, T.Robles 2. BB-- [b]D.Krynze[/b]l, O.Robles, J.Davis, J.Headley, J.Aceves, J.Brena, J.Bass, J.Kroeger 2. T--3:34. A--1000 

Well I know that the Dominican and Puerto Rican leagues have started, but getting info on them has been a little difficult.

I found Pedro Liriano on Licey's roster and they have an excellent website at

www.licey.com

why can't they share some server space with the league?

Found the main Puerto Rican site at

www.ebaseballpr.com

doesn't have boxscores or stats yet, but they do have rosters. Don't know whether they are from this year or last 'tho.

Most imporatantly . .. . .

Charlie Fermaint - Leones

de Ponce

This is directed at those who know the winter ball scene.

even though its early, krynzel and woolard seem to be doing quite well in this first and maybe only winter ball go around.

the question is, what can be told about youngsters like these two doing well in that league specifically. Have other minor league prospects done well there and made big league teams in one or two years? Is it more to keep playing til spring? or is it competitive enough to make you a better player at that age level?

I guess, what minor league division would compare to the Mexican winter league? AAA? AA?

Thanks, J.

the question is, what can be told about youngsters like these two doing well in that league specifically.

I guess, what minor league division would compare to the Mexican winter league? AAA? AA?

Well absolutely nothing can be determined numberwise.

Woolard has done well in a total of 3 starts and 17 innings. Krynzel has 31 AB's. No conclusions can be drawn from anything that happens down there it just goes as quality work against good competition.

Now the way I would characterize that competition would be outside the normal minor league levels since all levels including Major League, former Major League and local stars all compete together.

I would say it most similar to the last three innings of a spring training game.

The one encouraging number for Krynzel so far is that he has only 5 K's in those 31 AB's. By comparison, Cub prospect Jason Dubois and Sox prospect Joe Borchard have each fanned 21 times in roughly 50 AB's in the same league.

Consistent contact is key for Krynzel.

Archived