Brewer Fanatic

Offseason Transactions: Latest -- Ryan Dittfurth Auditions

MassBrew

We kick off the Off-Season transaction thread by first linking to this season's prior transaction threads:

p082.ezboard.com/fbrewers...2439.topic

The Brewers have re-signed Appleton native Matt Erickson to a minor league contract for 2005.

Erickson's career numbers:

www.sports-wired.com/play...?Name=FCDH

A couple of nice Matt Erickson hometown stories from July:

www.wisinfo.com/postcresc...7266.shtml

www.wisinfo.com/postcresc...0567.shtml

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Brewers have until November 20th to finalize their minor league rosters for the Rule 5 draft; they've confirmed for us that those changes will not be made until closer to the 20th.

To prepare the Brewerfan Player Index Page for Rule 5, you will notice that the following players on the 40-man roster have been "assigned" by us to Milwaukee for the off-season, since technically they are not on a minor league roster during the offseason (there is no 25-man big league club until April, just the 40-man): Ben Diggins, Sam Narron, Andy Pratt, Chris Saenz, Dennis Sarfate, Rickie Weeks, and Corey Hart.

So, for instance, the Nashville roster is properly reflected on the Player Index Page to have just nine players at this time: RHP's Jesse Harper, John Novinsky, and Glenn Woolard, LHP Jeff Housman, infielders Matt Erickson, Brandon Gemoll, J.J. Hardy, and Steve Scarborough, and outfielder Ryan Knox.

We are working with information provided by the Brewers (thank you guys!), so we hope to have the Player Index accurate to the letter by later today. We'll post updates throughout the day within this thread.

Brewerfan does wish all these players well in their post-Milwaukee organization careers (Brewerfan Player Profile Pages follow each transaction):

Released from the Huntsville roster:

29-year-old outfielder Jamie Gann, who provided a nice little bolt of energy to the Stars' roster when signed during their first-half chase for a playoff spot, which came up short. He cooled off in the second half:

www.brewerfan.net/ViewPla...ayerId=720

Released from the Brevard County (formerly High Desert) roster:

OF/3B/DH Jeremy Frost signed for short money out of Central Florida University in the 10th round of the 2002 draft. He lost most of the value he had when it became apparent early on that he was not going to see significant action at his drafted position of catcher.

www.brewerfan.net/ViewPla...ayerId=323

OF Pete Rasmusen, a free agent signing out of Stetson University, saw very, very sporadic action for the Mavericks this year and didn't fare well when he did play, although he was part of the Greek Olympic squad:

www.brewerfan.net/ViewPla...ayerId=667

RHP Travis Teeter only got in 16.1 innings with the Mavs after being signed out of independent ball. Apparently, he won't be on board in April to show more of his skills:

www.brewerfan.net/ViewPla...ayerId=729

RHP Danny Stout, a part of the 2003 Mavericks, was carried for a portion of this season within the organization (injured), but it looks like that is no longer the case:

www.brewerfan.net/ViewPla...ayerId=603

It appears injuries have ended the Brewer career of 2002 3rd round pick Eric M. Thomas, the 6'9" RHP out of the Univeristy of South Alabama, who missed all of the 2003 and 2004 seasons. The Brewers have cut ties with Thomas.

The only players remaining from the first eleven rounds of that recent draft are SS Josh Murray and RHP Tom Wilhelmsen, each on somewhat shaky ground within the organization, LHP Edwin Walker, trying to come back from major arm surgery, RHP Khalid Ballouli, and oh yeah, some kid named Prince.

www.brewerfan.net/ViewPla...ayerId=317

Actually, Thomas, Stout, and Candelaria are all still on the restricted list. Although they aren't really part of the team, their contract rights still belong to the Brewers. Same with Dan Boyd.

A few more cuts: Dan McKenna, Jeff Garner, Branden Murray were also let go.

Thanks brewcru1 for the clarifications. Never, ever hesitate to chime in or correct us on a transaction move -- especially anything involving players being released -- it's too important to get that info right if we're going to discuss someone having a job or not.

Here are some links regarding the names brewcru1 touched on:

RHP Dan McKenna was a relief project, the 27th pick in the 2003 draft out of Rutgers-Camden. He was given a chance briefly with Beloit this spring, but stumbled back to Helena, and pitchers out of four-year programs can't afford to do that:

www.brewerfan.net/ViewPla...ayerId=560

RHP Jeff Garner, undrafted out of Central Michigan, was signed last June. At age 24, he spent too much of the summer pitching to younger kids in Maryvale:

www.brewerfan.net/ViewPla...ayerId=710

LHP Brandon Murray was another undrafted college sign in June 2004, and Murray was 2nd on the Helena team in appearances -- he struggled badly with control, ironic given the circumstances of his signing:

Not that Brandon Murray wanted his teammate to get hurt, but things certainly took a turn in the former NFA (Norwich, CT, Free Academy) standout's favor recently.

While playing for NAIA Flagler College in St. Augustine, Fla., a scout from the Milwaukee Brewers was there to watch one of the Saints pitch. When he got hurt after just one inning, Murray -- a 2000 NFA graduate -- stepped in and impressed.

So much so that the Brewers went after Murray and late Tuesday night signed him to a contract. Murray will join the Rookie League Helena (Mont.) Brewers Friday morning. Their first game is Friday night.

"It was being in the right place at right time," Murray said Wednesday. "I went in to pitch when the guy got hurt and the scout was impressed. I threw strikes and that goes a long way."

After a solid career at NFA, the left-handed Murray spent two years with Roger Bidwell at Avery Point, then the last two at Flagler. He went 4-0 this season, including an impressive win over Division II Florida Southern.

"I knew playing professionally was a real possibility since I was in 11th grade," Murray said. "There were always scouts around. I've looked at the guys that have been drafted and they throw as hard as I do (86-87 m.p.h.) but they threw more strikes. I needed to get more consistent and throw more strikes."

The trip to Big Sky country will be the first for Murray, who has been to Canada and up and down the East Coast.

"I'm looking forward to it," he said. "I'm not really too nervous. I'm really excited to start."

www.brewerfan.net/ViewPla...ayerId=714

Yet some more (five to be exact) -- again, chime in if you have conflicting information regarding these names:

Still only 22 years old, the Brewers' version of Manny Ramirez (first baseman) seemed like he was around quite awhile. We didn't hear good defensive reports, and his playing time was uneven with Beloit this summer. Signed out of Venezuela in 2000 and making his pro debut in 2001, we didn't know what to make of his assignment to High Desert to start 2002 at age 19. All the way back down to Helena in 2003 with a .330 average and 11 HR's didn't translate to 2004 success. Remember when Manny was a catcher?!

www.brewerfan.net/ViewPla...ayerId=140

Another Venezuelan, infielder Gilberto Acosta, didn't put up Hurricane Hernan Irribarren numbers in Maryvale in 2002 and 2003, but he came close and there was a buzz about him that earned him some Power 50 time. Bumped to Beloit to start 2004, the solid numbers disappeared. We read about Acosta having difficulty with his night vision, something never exposed in the Arizona League. Suddenly, a youngster who was a team MVP in 2003 is no longer in the system. For those of you who remember the Acosta name from last year, a pretty stunning and unfortunate turnaround:

www.brewerfan.net/ViewPla...ayerId=166

Another member of the Venezuelan crop, catcher Yonnata Lopez, saw action in the Dominican League in 2003, and very brief action early in 2004. Thought we heard something about an injury, regardless Lopez is out at age 19:

www.brewerfan.net/ViewPla...ayerId=660

Another Epy Guerrero signee out of Venezuela (well, Epy did recommend the Hurricane, so we have that) was catcher Franklin Tua, who made his pro debut with Arizona Rookie in 2004. Tua turns 20 this week, but apparently won't be back in Maryvale next spring. Normally the Brewers have quite a few very raw catchers in camp to earn their stripes in rookie ball -- Latin kids, kids from Africa, Germany, etc. Not exactly the case at the moment with the releases of Lopez and Tua:

www.brewerfan.net/ViewPla...ayerId=612

Not a good day to be from Venezuela, I guess. Infielder Oscar Angulo only appeared in the field in four of his 26 games, DH'ing otherwise. He chipped in with two mop-up pitching appearances as well, and actually had an ERA of 0.00 in his 3.2 IP:

www.brewerfan.net/ViewPla...ayerId=609

The Brewers have also signed some new names from the Latin pool for 2005 pro debuts. It's doubtful any of these names are as "prized" as big-time pitching hopeful and already Power 50 member Roque Mercedes, but it is four new names, regardless. We could pester the Brewers and ask about these kids now, but it's probably best to cash in other chips and wait for the 2005 media guide next April:

All to be listed on the Arizona Rookie roster:

RHP Jose Beltre

RHP Alirio Ledezma

C Ruben Angoma

IF Harold Mejia

The Brewers still own rights to three players in the Dominican Summer League. Although the Brewers disbanded their DSL and Venezuelan Summer League clubs, the three DSL players saw action with the Phillies' entry in 2004.

RHP Carlos Cespedes:

www.baseballamerica.com/c...%2C+carlos

Switch-hitting OF Oscar Emeterio:

www.baseballamerica.com/c...erio%2C+os

RHP Nathaniel Villar:

www.baseballamerica.com/c...illar%2C+n

Similarly, the Brewers own the rights to four players assigned to the VSL -- they play for a team called Venoco 2:

RHP Jesus Chourio:

www.baseballamerica.com/c...ourio%2C+j

OF Herman Jimenez

C Isaac Palencia:

www.baseballamerica.com/c...r=palencia

RHP Miguel (Millan) Parejo (perhaps a relative of Arizona Rookie's Freddy):

www.baseballamerica.com/c...yer=parejo

Alirio Ledezma, a Venezuelan righty, has participated in a few state-side showcases over the last year or so. He's a physically mature righty with a strong lower half. His throws regularly in the 87-90 range with a pretty good over the top slow curve. Not the most projectable of pitchers physically, but not everyone throws 90 mph as a 17 year old.

The Brewers are far from done signing catchers. By my estimation, they need to sign/trade for at least three catchers to compete for spots in the bigs/AAA. My guess is that they'll bring in one more guy to compete with Moeller in Milwaukee (outside of Mark Johnson), and then one more minor league free agent for AAA.

On a related note, how has Kade Johnson deserved a promotion to AAA? I think that not only is his spot in AAA not reserved, but that his spot in the organization is not reserved.

I almost threw up when I read Kade Johnson should catch at AAA. It's safe to say that Kade has peaked as a player and will never reach past Double A. He's a AA backup at best. I am pretty sure the organization isn't too happy with him either, IRRC, he was suspended to end the 2004 season.

I would agree with you...Kade Johnson has definitely not been the answer at catcher (hence the question mark after his name), and Joel Alvarado isn't exactly a stud himself. I do see Kade in AAA (or released) however because Palmisano and Vandenberg (and Rottino at catcher?) will probably be in AA. Kade either steps up, or gets the boot in my opinion. I expect to see Mark in Milwaukee because the club is familiar with him, Hendrickson is familiar with him, and there isn't a whole lot out there at catcher. I would love to trade for one of the young guys that have been mentioned here lately...I am just not optimistic about it.

I just got done with my very-early roster projections for the 2005 season, and I have Kade in AA with Vanden Berg, Alvarado in A+ backing up Palmisano, and TBDs backing up Moeller in Milwaukee and in AAA (I just read about the Mark Johnson signing).

I think Kade might get a shot in AAA with some team sometime, but he might be better served moving out from behind the plate to concentrate on hitting. His defense is nothing special, so if he ever has a chance to get to the big leagues, he'll have to prove something with his bat.

I can't disagree with that...but what other positions can he play? He has no trade value, and first base is taken. outfielder in A+ or AA? Might not be a bad idea if he is athletic enough...lots of power int he bat if he can learn to make relatively consistent contact... I still predict he is cut after ST unless he shows marked improvement.

Just curious...where do you have Salome? Helena, or Charleston?

Toby, your prediction of the Cap'n going to Brevard County intrigues me. I had pretty much taken it to be fact that he'd be heading to Huntsville, based on the poster who heard it from Palmisano himself. I realize that could just be over-confidence from Lou, but I was wondering if you made that prediction based more on where you think he will go or where you think he should go.

I personally would like to see him start the season in A+. He hit well in Beloit, but I think we all would have liked to see him hit a little better. I'm a little nervous about him (or anybody) skipping a level into one of the toughest hitter's leagues. The jump is hard enough from A+. Trying it from low A seems like asking for trouble.

I have various reasons to believe that Palmisano will not be going to Huntsville to start out '05, some of which can't really be talked about. I will say that he didn't wow anyone in Beloit, and his defense still needs some work below the AA level. As of right now, I'd be very surprised to see him in Huntsville on opening day. He'd have to have a very strong spring to do that.

If so, that would allow him to stay in Indy. He is a great guy. I talked to him in Huntsville last year for about ten minutes before reluctantly having to tell him that I couldn't remember his name(in Huntsville in '02, left in '03 and came back in '04). He was very gracious about it and we carried on with our conversation. He is the type of person any minor league organization would love to have from a PR standpoint. Gets along well with people and very intelligent.

Archived