Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Games of Tuesday, April 12th

Mass Haas

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Tuesday's Daily Menu -- Start your day with a hearty breakfast -- Huntsville's undefeated this year in morning games! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

All times Central; pitchers subject to change

Nashville: RHP Jose Capellan at home vs. Oklahoma (Rangers), 6:45 PM pre-game, 7:00 gametime

Audio link:

www.nashvillesounds.com/listenlive/

Huntsville: LHP Dana Eveland at Jacksonville (Dodgers), 9:50 AM pre-game, 10:05 gametime

Audio link:

www.espn1450.com/

Brevard County: TBD at Port St. Lucie (Mets), 6:00 PM; no web audio

West Virginia: RHP Josh Wahpepah at Lexington (Astros), 6:05 PM

Audio link (opponent's feed):

www.wlxg.com/WLXG.asx

Today is the first of two "Student Celebration of Reading Days" in Jacksonville. It's a school day, and it's 10 in the morning. Something like 2,000 students are at the game. Hmm.

Things sure are different in the South. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

BTW, Chad Billingsley is starting for Jacksonville. He's one of the Dodgers' top pitching prospects.

Stars up 2-0 in the second.

~Bill

Eveland has retired 10 in a row. They are both pitching well...good thing we got our runs early. Both bullpens are busy though, so I wouldn't expect Eveland or Billingsly to last much longer.

Edit: Billingsly done after 5

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I like the way this announcer says, "Alfredo Gonzalez".

He enjoys the Spanish pronunication.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I know in Tucson they have 2-3 DARE days...the only games on the schedule that start during the day. Heck, I remember my school's 4th grade trip to County Stadium each year. It was something we all looked forward to

Seventh inning stretch, still 2-0. Matt Ford just pitched a scoreless inning of relief.

BTW, I'd like some Kickin' Chicken. Any of you Huntsville folks want to pick me up something for lunch?

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

~Bill

Tied at two after seven. Some bad defense and a bloop single off of Ford got the Suns on the board. Prior to that, Eveland and Ford had combined to retire 13 in a row and the Suns hadn't gotten a hit since the first inning.

~Bill

TGJ makes a winner out of Joyce from Madison, AL.

3-2 Stars on a run scoring single by Tony Gwynn.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Does anyone here besides me think that Dana Eveland is our best pitching prospect. I know Capellan has the stuff to be really special, but Dana Eveland has excelled at every level he has been. I really think this kid is going to be a very, very good pitcher for the Brewers for a long time.

Does anyone here besides me think that Dana Eveland is our best pitching prospect. I know Capellan has the stuff to be really special, but Dana Eveland has excelled at every level he has been. I really think this kid is going to be a very, very good pitcher for the Brewers for a long time.

Eveland seems a lot like Hendrickson. Not many bad starts, great numbers, but then there's always skeptics (BA, for one). I saw him in Spring Training and he's hardly big like David Wells. He just looked like a guy who is built more like a square. Like Carlos Lee.

How hard does Dana throw? I'm guessing low 90's but I'm not sure.

From the accounts I have read on this site I am of the understanding that Dana gets it up there in the low 90's (90-93) with a good curve and decent change. Again, having never seen Dana pitch personally, I have been under the impression that he throws a little harder than Ben H.

Stars win 3-2. I celebrate with a Jack's pizza.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Huntsville 3, Jacksonville (Suns) 2

Off the schneid -- congrats, boys!

Huntsville Site Game Summary:

Dana Eveland worked five shutout innings and Tony Gwynn, Jr. knocked in the game-winning run in the eighth inning for the Stars, who defeated the Suns 3-2 to win their first game of the season Tuesday afternoon at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. Huntsville improved to 1-5, while the Suns dropped to 3-3. Four of the six games played by Huntsville have been decided by one run.

Beau Dannemiller opened the eighth inning on hill for the home team and allowed a one-out double to Kennard Bibbs that was followed by Gwynn, Jr.?s base hit to center field that put the Stars back on top 3-2. Gwynn, Jr. drove in his second run of the series and made a loser out of Dannemiller for a second time in his three relief appearances.

Jacksonville threatened to tie the game in the eighth inning against Stars reliever Mitch Stetter after Brian Sprout and James Loney opened the frame with singles. Delwyn Young bounced into a force out at second base that sent Sprout to third with the potential tying run. However, the Stars left-hander worked out of trouble by striking out Derek Michaelis on three pitches and retiring Jimmy Rohan on a ground ball out.

The Stars loaded the bases with two outs in the ninth inning but failed to score and Matt DeWitt was brought on in the bottom of the inning to preserve the lead. The veteran right-hander retired the first two hitters, allowed a single and stolen base to Todd Donovan and ended the game by inducing Sergio Garcia to ground out to earn his first save of the season.

Huntsville tallied twice in the first inning when Nelson Cruz doubled home Brandon Gemoll and then came into score on a base hit by Tony Zuniga, who knocked in his first run of the campaign. Jacksonville starter Chad Billingsley walked Callix Crabbe to open the second inning and then retired the next 12 hitters he faced before giving way to the bullpen. The hard throwing right-hander fanned five and walked one in his second start of the year.

Eveland allowed three singles and a walk in the first inning but kept the home team from scoring by picking off leadoff man Donovan after a single and retiring Michaelis on a ground ball with the bases full and two outs. The Stars left-hander retired the last 10 hitters he faced and has yielded only one run in nine innings of work over his first two starts. Eveland struck out six and walked two before giving way to Matt Ford.

Jacksonville fashioned a two-run rally in the seventh to tie the game against Ford, who was making his second relief appearance of the season. Delwyn Young struck out to open the frame but reached on a passed ball, Michaelis walked before Ford fielded Rohan?s bunt and threw late to third base in an attempt to get Young for the first out. Eric Langill followed with a looping two-run single to center field, his first of the year, to deliver Young and Michaelis.

The three-game set concludes Wednesday afternoon with Huntsville right-hander Dennis Sarfate taking the hill against Suns? right-hander Jonathan Broxton. Coverage of the game gets underway at 11:50 AM Central Time on ESPN 1450 AM and via the internet at www.huntsvillestars.com.

Huntsville Box Score:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_jaxaax_1

Huntsville Game Log:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_jaxaax_1

BA gives a few of our farmhands love in today's edition of their Daily Dish:

? One of the leagues hottest hitters is Triple-A Nashville outfielder David Krynzel, who went 3-for-5 with a home run and four RBIs in an 8-7 win over Oklahoma last night. In five games, the 2000 first-round pick out of Green Valley High in Henderson, Nev., in batting .471-1-9.

? West Virginia may have the Sally League?s most dynamic double-play combination in second baseman Hernan Iribarren and shortstop Alcides Escobar. The tandem paired for five hits in an 8-5 loss at Lexington last night, but their early play has Power hitting coach Tony Diggs excited about their potential. ?(Iribarren) is a good hitter right now because of his bat quickness,? Diggs said. ?He?s so relaxed at the plate, and even for a free swinger, he makes good contact and has good plate coverage. For his age and maturity, he can really do a lot of things?take it the other way very well, show pull power. Escobar?s offense could be similar, though. He?s got great hands and good wrists. He?s got solid instincts and the tools to match.?

Gwynn rescues the Stars for Win #1

Matt Ford, last year, gave the Stars their first win of the season, then didn't win again until September. We hope he doesn't wait that long this year........ He won last year as a starter. This year, he vultured it from Dana Eveland.

I say vultured because Dana Eveland, again, pitched a fine, quality ballgame, one he deserved to win, going five innings (four last time)....... In his two starts, Eveland has given up just one run on 7 hits, striking out 11 in 9 innings.

Eveland had to remove himself from trouble in the 1st inning, though........ When he picked off leadoff hitter Todd Donovan, who had opened the bottom of the 1st with a line drive single to left, it became a pivotal point early in this ballgame, for Sergio Garcia and Brian Sprout followed with singles, and it's pretty certain Donovan would have scored in this game that was decided in the end by one run........ After loading the bases by walking Delwyn Young, Eveland again extricated himself from his own mess by getting Derek Michaelis to ground out to Brandon Gemoll......... With a half-inning of rest, Eveland then proceeded to retire 15 of the next 16 Jacksonville hitters, walking one batter along the way.

The Stars had struck early for Eveland and given him a 2-0 lead....... With two out in the 1st, Gemoll singled to right, then stole second........ His last stolen base for the Stars was on July 29, 2003. Under Frank Kremblas, Gemoll stole 7 times in 16 attempts. In 80 games for Indianapolis last year, he stole three times in five attempts........ Gemoll's surprise move paid off....... Nelson Cruz, the next hitter, hit his 3rd double of the year, giving the Stars a 1-0 lead. Cruz would score on Tony Zuniga's single to center making it 2-0....... Cruz is now hitting .316, and with Ben Van Iderstine (.353) is emerging, to no surprise, as one of the big bats in this lineup.

And then nothing happened until the 7th inning, except for a pair of walks between both sides...... After Callix Crabbe walked in the top of the 2nd, 26 consecutive batters were retired between both pitching staffs....... Nelson Cruz was walked in the 6th by Alfredo Gonzalez. After stealing 2nd, the Stars had their first runner in scoring position since the 1st. He was 90 feet away after a wild pitch, but Zuniga flied out to end the frame for Huntsville.

But Jacksonville so far this season has developed an odd propensity to score in the late innings.... 22 of its 29 runs had come in the 7th inning or later. Unfortunately, it's realized once again in the 7th inning.

Just like Jason rising from his grave to cause more trouble, the nightmare of last night began surfacing again. Leadoff hitter Delwyn Young had struck out swinging on an 0-2 breaking ball from Ford, but the ball had gotten away from catcher Jeff Winchester and back to the screen for a passed ball and Young was on first. (A Eugene O'Neill moment here. We're having ungodly problems, it seems, with our defense in back of the plate. Why don't we see what Jeff Vanden Berg can do back there. Now back to our play.)....... Derek Michaelis walks on four pitches. That gets Mitch Stetter up in the bullpen........ James Rohan lays down a perfect bunt. No one can get to it. Ford looked like he had a chance at first, but lost his footing. By the time he maintains his balance, it's too late and the bases are loaded without a hit and nobody out........ Eric Langill, making his first start in this series, loops an 0-1 breaking ball into shallow right-centerfield in front of Tony Gwynn, Jr..... The one-hop throw to the plate is not in time and Langill has driven in Young and Michaelis. Rohan holds at second. This game is tied, 2-2.

Nick Alvarez comes up to pinch-hit for Gonzalez, actually looking to bunt again. A pick-off attempt comes off the glove of Callix Crabbe, but Rohan on second stays put seeing the ball didn't get far from Enrique Cruz....... On the 1-0 pitch, Alvarez retires the bunt attempt and hits a shallow fly ball to right. More adventure. Nelson Cruz backs up to his left, then turns to his right on the warning track. Will he catch it? Yes! Rohan could have gone to third, but was frozen watching whether Cruz will make the catch....... The inning finally ended quickly when Todd Donovan (2-for-9) hit a 2-strike pop-up to Winchester and Sergio Garcia popped out to Gemoll.

In the top of the 8th, Jacksonville sends Beau Dannemiller to the mound, picked up in last winter's Rule V draft......... After pinch-hitter Chris Barnwell lines out to third, Kennard Bibbs sends Dannemiller's first pitch over the head of Todd Donovan to the warning track for a double, his second among his three hits this season. The go-ahead run is now on second base........ Tony Gwynn, Jr., 1-for-10 in the Carolina series, then gets his 3rd hit of this series when he sends Dannemiller's 3-2 pitch on a line to left field to Brian Sprout, who takes the ball on the hop. But his throw cannot be handled by Langill at the plate and the speedy Bibbs scores the winning run to give the Stars their first win of the season.

The suspense didn't end there....... Mitch Stetter give up two straight singles in the 8th and after a force, had runners on the corners with one down, but Stetter came through in the clutch, striking out Derek Michaelis on an 0-2 breaking ball. After disposing of him, however, Delwyn Young stole 2nd without a throw, putting both runners in scoring position. But James Rohan hit an easy grounder to Crabbe to end the inning........ Matt DeWitt closed the door in the 9th for the save, leaving a runner in scoring position after a single and stolen base by Todd Donovan.

The rubber game of the series gets underway at 11:50 am, CDT with Dennis Sarfate dueling Suns' right-hander Jonathan Broxton. Broxton went 5 innings in his last start, giving up 3 runs on 4 hits and a walk against Birmingham. He's 9th among the Dodgers' top minor league prospects, 4th among their top pitching prospects.

Chris Barnwell's sacrifice fly Monday night was his 9th in his 3rd season with the Stars, tying him for 14th on the Stars' all-time leaderboard........ The Nashville Sounds, off to a 4-1 start and in 1st place in the PCL American Division, plays the Oklahoma Redhawks (1-4) at 7 pm, tonight.

Archived