Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Games of Friday, July 23rd

MassBrew

One additional thought is that, if Doug really is making that sort of quote about Indy, perhaps he already has thoughts of moving the AAA team elsewhere next year.

Great post, Huntsvillefan (you've sure brought your "A" game recently!). The only thing I wanted to mention is that the above-mentioned quote that Al posted is very much out of context. Melvin was talking about the Sexson trade and was pointing out that he wanted Major League ready talent in return for him, not more prospects. In other words, he didn't want to make Indianapolis, Huntsville, or Beloit better, he wanted to make Milwaukee better.

I don't think Indianapolis will have any problem finding a "better," higher-profile organization to step in next season. They are one of the premiere Triple-A franchises in baseball, and Victory Field is one of the best facilities to play in. If they don't want to be affiliated with the Brewers, they won't be. And if I had to wager a guess, that will be the case.

~Bill

WEST DIVISION W L PCT GB TOLEDO MUD HENS (DETROIT) 54 47 .535 COLUMBUS CLIPPERS (NEW YORK YANKEES) 52 46 .531 .5 LOUISVILLE BATS (CINCINNATI) 47 53 .470 6.5 [b]INDIANAPOLIS INDIANS (MILWAUKEE) 42 57 .424 11.0[/b]

WEST DIVISION W L PCT GB [b]HUNTSVILLE STARS (MILWAUKEE) 16 11 .593[/b] BIRMINGHAM BARONS (CHICAGO WHITE SOX) 15 12 .556 1.0 WEST TENN DIAMOND JAXX (CHICAGO CUBS) 13 13 .500 2.5 *MOBILE BAY BEARS (SAN DIEGO) 11 16 .407 5.0 MONTGOMERY BISCUITS (TAMPA BAY) 10 17 .370 6.0

SOUTH DIVISION W L PCT GB *LANCASTER JETHAWKS (ARIZONA) 17 10 .630 RANCHO CUCAMONGA QUAKES (ANAHEIM) 15 12 .556 2.0 LAKE ELSINORE STORM (SAN DIEGO) 15 12 .556 2.0 INLAND EMPIRE 66ERS (SEATTLE) 14 14 .500 3.5 [b]HIGH DESERT MAVERICKS (MILWAUKEE) 10 18 .357 7.5[/b]

WESTERN DIVISION W L PCT GB *KANE COUNTY COUGARS (OAKLAND) 19 9 .679 CLINTON LUMBER KINGS (TEXAS) 17 11 .607 2.0 QUAD CITY RIVER BANDITS (MINNESOTA) 15 13 .536 4.0 BURLINGTON BEES (KANSAS CITY) 14 14 .500 5.0 [b]BELOIT SNAPPERS (MILWAUKEE) 14 14 .500 5.0[/b] CEDAR RAPIDS KERNELS (ANAHEIM) 13 15 .464 6.0 WISCONSIN TIMBER RATTLERS (SEATTLE) 12 16 .429 7.0 PEORIA CHIEFS (ST.LOUIS) 12 16 .429 7.0

NORTH DIVISION W L PCT GB [b]HELENA BREWERS (MILWAUKEE) 19 15 .559[/b] BILLINGS MUSTANGS (CINCINNATI) 18 15 .545 .5 GREAT FALLS WHITE SOX (CHICAGO WHITE SOX) 16 16 .500 2.0 MISSOULA OSPREY (ARIZONA) 14 20 .412 5.0

W L PCT GB GIANTS (SAN FRANCISCO) 17 9 .654 ROYALS (KANSAS CITY) 15 11 .577 2.0 RANGERS (TEXAS) 15 11 .577 2.0 MARINERS (SEATTLE) 15 11 .577 2.0 [b]BREWERS (MILWAUKEE) 14 11 .560 2.5[/b] ATHLETICS (OAKLAND) 13 13 .500 4.0 PADRES (SAN DIEGO) 11 14 .440 5.5 CUBS (CHICAGO CUBS) 11 15 .423 6.0 ANGELS (ANAHEIM) 5 21 .192 12.0

Indianapolis Post-Doubleheader Notes:

Game (1):

Richmond (54-43) launched two homers off Indians starter Pedro Liriano in the first game of the doubleheader Friday, defeating the Tribe, 7-0. The setback set an Indians? consecutive games lost record at 11 in the Victory Field era and left the Tribe at 42-56.

DeWayne Wise and Ryan Langerhans each hit roundtrippers off Liriano (3-9), who has surrendered a team-high 20 home runs this season. Meantime, Braves starter (Indiana State product) Chuck Smith (5-2) shut down the Indians offense, finishing with a four-hit shutout. At one point, Smith retired 14 hitters in a row.

Richmond added its final run off Tribe reliever Dan Reichert in the sixth inning.

QUOTES:

Cecil Cooper, Tribe manager:

?Smith pitched extremely well for them tonight,? Cooper said. ?He had pinpoint control and we just couldn?t put things together.?

NOTES:

Four of Richmond?s first five leadoff hitters reached base in game one.

The Braves have the best record in the IL, while the Indians now have the worst mark.

Richmond has won 11 of its last 13 games.

Game (2):

GAME SUMMARY:

Richmond smashed three solo homers off Tribe starter Clint Weibl during the second game of the doubleheader Friday night to defeat Indianapolis, 6-4. It was the Indians? 12th straight setback.

Mike Hessman smashed a solo homer in the first, then Darren Hollins and James Jurries hit back-to-back round trippers in the second inning off Weibl to jumpstart the Braves to a 3-0 advantage.

Indianapolis rallied for three runs in the fourth, but Richmond?s All-Star closer Matt Whiteside put the potential tying runs on base in the Indians final attempt in the seventh inning, but was able to escape with the save.

QUOTE:

Mike Hessman, Richmond?s offensive star on his home run off Weibl:

?He threw me a slow pitch,? Hessman said. ?I knew that it was a changeup or something. He threw it for a strike and I was fortunate to make contact. Everybody?s contributing right now and we?re playing great baseball. It?s news to me that Indianapolis has a losing streak.?

NOTES:

The Braves and Indians play another doubleheader on Saturday. First pitch is 3:00 p.m.

David Weiser's www.starsboxscore.com Huntsville update:

COSTELLO'S ENCORE

What could be better than the Stars and Barons playing a weekend series with 1st place on the line? How's this?....... After garnering a BC Pitcher-of-the-Week award earlier on Friday for his 11K, complete game three-hit shutout against Montgomery July 18, Ryan Costello fashioned another masterpiece --- six no-hit innings against the Birmingham Barons to get the Stars off to a good start in this four-game series....... Because the balloting ran from last Friday to Thursday, Costello is eligible again for the award, and who's to say with this impressive start, that he can't win it again........ Making this start all the more impressive is the fact that he did it all with a stingy strike zone from Andy Roberts' umpiring crew. That was the observation of pitching coach Fred Dabney....... Of Costello's 94 pitches, 49 were for strikes (52%)....... There were no borderline calls in Costello's favor.

With Costello's 6th win, he leads all Huntsville starters in victories.

Costello retired the first seven Barons to face him before hitting Andy Gonzalez on the foot on a 1-2 change-up, but Chris Stewart lined out to center and Michael Spidale struck out looking at a 3-2 pitch......... Richard Paz walked in the 5th with one out, but Costello retired the next two batters to end that inning....... Costello walked two more in his final inning, putting a runner in scoring position for the first time in the game for Birmingham, but Rob Sasser, in a real slump over his last nine games, hitting .200 in 30 at-bats, flied easily to right.........

Paul Stewart preserved the no-hitter in the 7th inning, retiring Carlos Maldonado and Paz, but Normand Martel, a .314 hitter against the Stars, and Tommy Nicholson, a seldom-used utility player, came through with back-to-back hits to break up the no-hitter and the shutout....... Stewart struck out pinch-hitter Scott Bikowski swinging, but as luck would have it, Stew's strike three pitch skipped past Joel Alvarado and Bikowski was on, with Nicholson advancing to second........ With the score 3-1, Brad Nelson saved the day, lunging to make a fine catch in left of a Spidale liner, saving Stewart one and possibly two runs that would have tied the game. The Barons were never a threat after that.

Johnny Raburn set up the Stars first run with the first hit of the game, a leadoff double that went over the line in left and kicked up some chalk down the left field line in the 3rd inning........ Prince Fielder nearly had the first hit in the 1st inning, but it was taken away from him in a scoring decision........ Raburn, hitting .288 this month, scored two of the Stars four runs on the night........ Raburn took third on a high fly ball by Alvarado and scored on a fly ball by Rickie Weeks, sliding just ahead of Martel's throw to Maldonado.

A double play in the 5th inning could not stop the Stars from scoring the deciding run that inning........ Alvarado had bunted too close to the mound with Ryan Knox on second and Raburn, who had reached on a bunt hit, on first......... Meaux picked up the ball and fired to Paz, who then fired across the diamond to retire Alvarado......... That's one reason why manager Frank Kremblas is not a big fan of the bunt, but he'll tolerate it more if it's used to reach base, rather than sacrifice. He doesn't even use the sacrifice with the pitcher or a weak hitter at the plate........ Raburn advanced to second on the fielder's choice. Weeks walked on four pitches to extend the inning, then Tony Gwynn, Jr. lined a single on the hop through the left side, scoring Raburn........ Fielder flied out to right to end the 5th.

Knox doubled with two out to drive in Jamie Gann with the insurance run in the 6th, and Nelson ended Meaux's night with a first-pitch singled to score Fielder in the 8th, making it a final 4-1.

Dennis Sarfate (4-9, 5.12) will make his 2nd appearance against the Barons this season, Saturday night. He'll face off against lefty Jim Bullard (7-3, 3.84), who's a bit of a Starkiller with an ERA under 2.00 against this team in his career.

Helena Independent Record Game Story:

Raptors rip Brewers, 16-4

By KEVIN SHIVELY - IR Sports Writer

The Ogden Raptors took a break after their six-run first inning, but found their bats again in the seventh to beat the Helena Brewers 16-4 at Kindrick Legion Field on Friday to take a 2-1 lead in the series.

After taking a six-run lead in the first, the Raptors didn't send a runner across the plate in the next four innings, and Helena started to collect a few runs and narrow the gap. After the sixth inning, Ogden made it clear who would win the game.

The Raptors scored twice in the seventh, and got five in the eighth and three in the ninth.

Designated hitter Corey Dunlap led the Raptors at the plate. He went 3-for-6 with seven RBI and two runs scored.

He started the Raptor's spree in the seventh with a two-out, two-run homer over the left field wall, pushing Ogden's lead to 8-4.

In the eighth he hit a bases-loaded double off the centerfield wall that scored all three runners, and he had another RBI off a single in the ninth.

The six-run first inning was courtesy of four back-to-back hits and a sacrifice fly from Dunlap.

Two of the hits were doubles from Daniel Batz and Travis Denker.

Denker was 4-for-5 in the game and Batz was 2-for-4.

All 16 Ogden runs were earned.

Helena's first two runs were in the second, when Dallas Bates singled and centerfielder Charlie Fermaint doubled to move him to third.

Alberto Segura hit a sacrifice fly to send Bates home, and Fermaint scored on a wild pitch.

Bates hit a sacrifice fly to score Gilberto Acosta in the fourth, bringing the score to 6-3.

In the fifth, Ogden pitcher David Parker walked the bases loaded and Acosta hit an RBI-single, but Parker got the next three batters out to get out of the inning.

The pitcher put in four innings of work, striking out five and allowing only four hits for his third win of the season.

In the seventh, Acosta tried to get something going for the Brewers, hitting what he thought was a double to center, but Ogden protested the play, saying Acosta didn't touch first base. Umpire Mike Lusky called him out.

Righthanded pitcher Jeff Garner, who the Brewers just brought up from the Arizona League picked up his first loss with the Brewers. He pitched the first 2 2/3 innings and struck out five, but allowed the six runs in the first.

The two teams will square off for the last game of their four game series tonight at 7:05. Josh Baker will be on the mound for Helena and Jordan Pratt will throw for the Raptors.

Photo by Jon Ebelt IR Staff - Although football season is still over a month away, Ogden's Travis Denker, right, seems to be in the pigskin mood while colliding with Helena baserunner Alberto Segura on Friday at Kindrick Legion Field. Denker had just made the force out at second before both players went down in a heap after Denker's throw to first base in a double play attempt.

http://www.helenair.com/content/articles/2004/07/24/sports_top/b01072404_01.jpg

I don't see Huntsville's team being enough to keep Indy with us. There's a couple of reasons for that. One as Hfan pointed out is that look at what happened to last year's championship squad from AA as they moved to AAA. Second is look at what the Stars have actually done this year. Maybe they wouldn't struggle as much next year jumping AAA, but I've said it before most championship AAA depend on some quality veteran minor leaguers and how many of those do you think Doug will actually add to next year's team?

Third look at those prospects and look at where Milwaukee might be next year. It certainly doesn't seem unreasonable to think that a number of those big names might not see more than half a year at AAA. Sure Melvin tends to be methodical with his promotions, but you know he's high on Prince, and wouldn't hesitate to put Weeks at second if he were tearing it up and it could concieveably boost the Brewers in a race they could very well be in next year with their pitching staff. Nope we'll be affiliated somewhere else next year.

Daily Press High Desert Game Story:

Sandoval, Sixers shut down Mavs

Villanueva homers as H.D. drops third straight

By TIM HARAN/Staff Writer

ADELANTO ? It appeared several times that the High Desert Mavericks were primed to get the better of Inland Empire and its starter Juan Sandoval.

But each time the Mavs threatened, the 66ers shut the door. Propelled by a big sixth inning, Inland Empire defeated High Desert 6-2 in Friday's series opener at Mavericks Stadium.

Sandoval (8-8), who has pitched the second-most innings in the California League this season, picked up the win. He allowed two runs in seven innings while striking out eight.

The Mavs squandered several would-be scoring opportunities, including a double by Froilan Villanueva to lead off the second inning. High Desert again came up empty in the next frame after putting runners on first and third with nobody out.

"He's pitched against us good before, but that's the best he's thrown against us all year," High Desert manager Mel Queen said of Sandoval. "Yeah, we had opportunities, but he didn't let us take advantage of them."

As impressive as the right-hander was, Inland Empire's offense, which posted 13 hits ? 11 of which were singles ? did its part to help out its pitcher.

The 66ers' half of the sixth, which began with Gary Harris reaching on an infield single and advancing to second on a throwing error, resulted in four runs. Inland Empire (14-14) tallied four straight hits against High Desert (10-18) starter Khalid Ballouli and took advantage of two Mavs' miscues to break open a close game.

Following a run-scoring single by Jesus Guzman, the 66ers' Jon Nelson drilled an RBI double hard off the left-center field fence. Two runs scored and Nelson landed at third after the throw to the plate skidded between the legs of catcher Villanueva.

Ballouli (4-10), who had been dominant in each of his previous four starts, pitched well through five innings but struggled in the sixth.

"He made a bad pitch to Nelson," Queen said. "I don't think he was getting tired, he just made a bad pitch."

He was pulled with one out in the sixth, four batters after getting hit on the wrist of his glove hand trying to backhand a shot up the middle. Ballouli said it wasn't a factor in the inning, but his wrist should be sore in the morning. Reliever Nick Slack forced the next batter, Rene Rivera, to ground into a double play, but the damage had already been done.

"The only thing I had going for me was my velocity was pretty good," Ballouli said. "I was getting out of jams every inning. It just caught up to me toward the end there and I couldn't keep the pitches where I wanted them."

The 66ers struck first in the third inning on a two-out single by Gonzalez to score Erick Monzon. High Desert countered in the bottom of the frame on Travis Hinton's RBI line drive to left, scoring Callix Crabbe, and headed into the top of the sixth with the game tied 1-1.

Villanueva knocked his ninth home run of the season in the bottom of the sixth, a solo shot over the left field fence.

Inland Empire's Carlos Arroyo launched a solo home run of his own in the ninth inning off Mavs' reliever Homero Rivera.

NOTES: Villanueva extended his hit streak to nine games with a double in the second inning. ... Visalia won on Friday, snapping its 11-game losing streak. The streak tied High Desert for the longest in the Cal League this season.

The question is, who would be looking to take on Indy? The Brewers took Indy after Indy was dumped by the Reds. Location is huge when teams pick there AAA franchise. Colorado wouldn't give up Colorado Springs for nothing, and the same is true for Yankees/Columbus, Arizona/Tuscon, Cubs/Iowa, Reds/Louiville. The only team i see as a threat to steal Indy is thw White Sox. The next question then is the White Sox contract up with Charlotte, as teams generally sign multiyear deals.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Speaking from what I see of minor league fans here in Huntsville, most people attending the games couldn't care less if someone is touted as a prospect, they only care about how he and the team performs I guess I'm just the opposite. I too attend minor league games, and I could give a rats behing who wins the game or the frisbee toss. I go to watch prospects. The more awesome talents , the better I like to watch.Give me future major leaguers over some overaged never will be anyday. I always thought it was pathetic getting real attached to a minor league team of any sport, but I guess I'm spoiled by being from a state with 3 real teams.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I could give a rats behing who wins the game or the frisbee toss. I go to watch prospects

And that's great - Its why you pay your money and good for you. What you've got to realise is that you're in the minority. Most people go to drink beer, eat hotdogs and watch the fireworks. They don't spend their time reading the stats or working out who the prospects are, they don't even know what team the opposition is affiliated to , unless its a glamor franchise.

I always thought it was pathetic getting real attached to a minor league team of any sport, but I guess I'm spoiled by being from a state with 3 real teams

This is the bit that gets me. Yes its different from the way you feel, but why on earh is it 'pathetic'? What should we all do? - move to a different state?????

I'd have thought that being a Brewers' fan would have given you a bit more tolerance. The vast majority of Major league fans look down on people who are attached to the Brewers the same way you look down on fans who get attached to their minor league team. Hell! I've heard Cards and Cubs fans refer to Milwaukee as a nothing more than a farm team.

Try being happy that people attend minor league ball for whatever reason. If they stop, your ability to indulge your prospect following fetish will be severely curtailed.

Most people go to drink beer, eat hotdogs and watch the fireworksOK, if this is true, and I agree it is, why in the world the the Brewers waste a cent of there resources on veteran minor leaguers to help the affiliates win? You just said yourself, people don't go to see them win. This is what we've tried to explain to you. you should just feel lucky Huntsville has a team.

This is the bit that gets me. Yes its different from the way you feel, but why on earh is it 'pathetic'?I did an extremely poor job of explaining myself here, I don't at all mean to say your pathetic I simply mean to say I don't grasp the concept of rooting for a minor league team, because i've never been in that situation,

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Quote:
Colorado wouldn't give up Colorado Springs for nothing, and the same is true for Yankees/Columbus

Isn't the Columbus team in Ohio? Or is there a different Columbus (kinda like there's more than one Springfield)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Thers numerous cities called Columbus, and 2 of them have minor league teams. I think the Indians have a Columbus in short season ball, it would make sense that its in Ohio.

The Columbus Clippers are the Yankees' Triple-A team (International League) and play in Columbus, Ohio. The Columbus Catfish are the Dodgers' Single-A team (Sally League) and play in Columbus, Georgia.

There might be others, but those are the only two that are named "Columbus".

~Bill

Colorado wouldn't give up Colorado Springs for nothing, and the same is true for Yankees/Columbus,

Let me explain this slowly. The Yankees have a AAA team in Columbus. That is Columbus OHIO.

They do not have a minor league affiliate in any other Columbus - just in Columbus O H I O.

Why is Ohio such a site of prime importance for the Yankees as you assert?

This is what we've tried to explain to you. you should just feel lucky Huntsville has a team.

There was a time when that sentence would have annoyed me - Now I am just thankful to have such erudite baseball scholars as you to explain my blessings to me. Thank you for that statement, I assure you that I'll cherish it http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Why is Ohio such a site of prime importance for the Yankees as you assert? Theres only 2 AAA citie available closer to NY, and the Yanks have never been intersted in Buffaloe or Rochester, as they think it would actually hurt there market size in NY.

Why do the Yankees even have a Triple-A team. Ninety percent of their prospects get dealt before they get to that level, and Steinbrenner considers every other Major League team a Triple-A affiliate.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

~Bill

the Yanks have never been intersted in Buffaloe or Rochester, as they think it would actually hurt there market size in NY.

I just want to get this straight, Every other team in baseball wants their AAA affiliate as close as possible,(according to you) but not the Yankees. Because the Yankees are the only team that is worried that AAA team will hurt their market share? Well that logic certainly leaves me without recourse!

I just have one tiny query left - one tiny niggling doubt about your omniscience on AAA locations.

Knowing all about the Yanks business plan and their avowed disinterest in Buffalo & Rochester (I bet George wonders how you pried that piece of info out of his staff) - Knowing all that - why on earth did you think that the team in Columbus Ohio was actually a Low A Indians affiliate rather than a AAA Yankees affiliate?

Isn't the Columbus team in Ohio? Or is there a different Columbus (kinda like there's more than one Springfield)

Thers numerous cities called Columbus, and 2 of them have minor league teams. I think the Indians have a Columbus in short season ball, it would make sense that its in Ohio.

Archived