Brewer Fanatic

Minor League All-Star Thread: Latest, AAA Game VCR Alert

Just something to FYI you on, as we'll be seeing teams announced in the coming days this month and next. It's very possible the Brewers could have Future Game representatives that don't make their own league's All-Star teams:

The following are schedules for the upcoming Minor League All-Star games:

Midwest League: Tuesday, June 22nd at Cedar Rapids, Iowa

California/Carolina League: Tuesday, June 29th at San Bernadino, California

Futures Game: Sunday, July 11th at Houston, Texas

Southern League: Tuesday, July 13th at Chattanooga, Tennessee

International League: Wednesday, July 14th at Pawtucket, Rhode, Island

So who are the early Brewers' favorites to be selected as All-Stars?

I'll start, and go with the easy one... Cap'n Lou should be the starting catcher for his division on the Midwest League.

Who else?

~Bill

Beloit Press Release:

The Beloit Snappers have five representatives on the 2004 Midwest League All-Star Team. The All-Star game will be hosted by the Cedar Rapids Kernels in Cedar Rapids, IA, Tuesday, June 22, 2004. The Snappers will have two players in the starting line-up for the game. Terry Trofholz will start in the outfield, while Vinny Rottino will start in the designated hitter slot. Catcher Lou Palmisano was selected as a reserve. Pitchers Luis Pena and Dana Eveland were also selected to the squad.

This season Terry Trofholz is leading the team in batting average (.310) and stolen bases (19). In the league Trofholz is sixth overall in average and his stolen base total ranks him third. Vinny Rottino is hitting .304 (third on the team) and has driven in 38 RBI's to lead the team, while collecting a team high 66 hits. Lou Palmisano has the second highest batting average on the team (.307) and is tied for second on the team with 32 RBI's. Right-handed pitcher Luis Pena is 4-2 this season with a 3.57 ERA. Pena has struck out 42 batters, while issuing 19 walks. Left-handed pitcher Dana Eveland is also 4-2 this season. Eveland has recorded a team high 52 strikeouts and has an ERA of 3.35.

The Snappers will be giving away two free tickets to the All-Star game at the Thursday, June 17 game. Interested fans can sign up at the game and one lucky fan will win the two tickets.

For additional information about the game, or to order tickets contact the Cedar Rapids Kernels at 1-800-860-3609.

The official full squad list has yet to be released online -- MassBrew.

David Castillo of Kane County is starting ahead of Cap'n Lou. He is having a wonderful season.

I was going to complain about the Cap'n not getting the starting nod, but Castillo is definitely having a better offensive season. Them's the breaks, I guess.

Congrats to all the Snappers' MWL All-Stars!!!

~Bill

From milb.com:

NEW YORK, NY--Rosters for the sixth annual New York Mercantile Exchange All-Star Futures Game will be unveiled for the first time ever with a live video Webcast on MLB.com at 11:00 AM (Central) on Monday, June 21. The All-Star Futures Game features the top prospects in Minor League Baseball with a team of U.S. born players competing against players from around the world.

The game will be played on Sunday, July 11 at Minute Maid Park in Houston as the first of three days of All-Star events, culminated by the Major League All-Star Game on Tuesday, July 13.

The All-Star Futures Game will be televised live by ESPN2, beginning at 4 p.m.

Players from all 30 Major League organizations will be included on the rosters, with 25 players on each team.

Link while active, text follows:

www.zwire.com/site/news.c...&rfi=8

Trofholz earns all-star honor

By GEOFF BLAINE , PLANO STAR COURIER SPORTS WRITER

06/11/2004

So-called baseball experts should know better than to underestimate Terry Trofholz.

The standout outfielder for the Class A Beloit, Wisc., Snappers was selected to the Midwest League West All-Stars this week.

"It's a big honor," Trofholz said. "Last season was my first season, but that was short-season ball. I did pretty well there and made the all-star team there, but making it in this 'A' ball here is a higher level of competition. It was quite an honor."

Trofholz, a 1999 graduate of Plano Senior High School, was not selected during the 2002 MLB First-Year Player Draft and returned for his senior season at Texas Christian University and set several records. The Milwaukee Brewers took notice and drafted Trofholz in the 22nd round with the 639th overall pick during Day 2 of the 2003 draft.

Trofholz says it is nice to prove the people that passed on him were wrong, at least so far.

"It feels really good," he said. "I didn't get taken my junior year and that was a disappointment. The Brewers took a chance on me my senior year. I owe everything to them because they are the reason I am playing. I am trying to fulfill my end of the deal and play as best as I can to help the Brewers along, and at the same time help myself."

The Snappers have five representatives on the 2004 Midwest League All-Star Team. The all-star game will be hosted by the Cedar Rapids Kernels in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, on June 22.

Trofholz will join teammate Vinny Rottino in the starting lineup. Beloit catcher Lou Palmisano was selected as a reserve. Pitchers Luis Pena and Dana Eveland were also chosen for the squad.

As of June 10th, Trofholz, 24, leads the Snappers in batting average (.309), runs (37), and stolen bases (20). The former Wildcat is sixth overall in batting average in the Midwest League. His 20 stolen bases ranks him third among his peers. He is one of two players on the Snappers that don't have any errors on the season.

Similar production in the second half of the season is a primary goal for Trofholz.

"I'd like to have as good a half, if not better, than the first half," he said. "My first half I did pretty well. I'd like to continue that and maybe improve on some other things in the second half as well. I'd like to put together a whole year instead of just a half of a season."

The next two stops for Trofholz could be with Class A Advanced High Desert Mavericks or the Double-A Huntsville Stars. Trofholz, however, isn't concerned with the progression up the minor-league ladder. He just focuses on what is best for the Brewers organization.

"I try not to worry about those things," Trofholz said. "I can't control who decides when I move and where I go. All I can do is play. They tell you if you play well you will get promoted and move along. That's all I am trying to do. If I don't (advance), that's the way it is."

The All-Stars were nominated and selected by the league's field managers. The Cedar Rapids Kernels will host the 2004 MWL Summer All-Star Classic on June 22 at New Veterans Memorial Stadium in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

The accolade was the second of its kind in as many seasons. Trofholz was an all-star selection in the Pioneer League last year for the Helena Brewers, a short-season rookie ball club in Montana.

During Trofholz' senior season at TCU, he was sixth on the team with a .328 batting average in 53 starts. He was third in runs scored (50), fourth in hits (67), tied for third in doubles (15), third in walks (24), and also sported a slugging percentage of .446.

Trofholz made his mark during his junior campaign in 2002 when he enjoyed one of the most prolific seasons in TCU history, batting .441 to shatter the Conference USA record and tied the TCU mark for single-season hits (94).

He was a 2002 consensus second-team all-American and led the Horned Frogs in a majority of offensive categories in 2002, including batting average, hits, runs, total bases, on-base percentage and stolen bases. The Plano product also ranks fourth on TCU's career lists with a .381 batting average.

While at Plano, Trofholz earned 1999 District 9-5A MVP honors, as well as all-district pitcher and all-district outfielder. He also holds records for single-season hits (54) and RBI (46). The former Wildcat was coached by Terry Tuck and also lettered in basketball.

http://images.zwire.com/local/Z/ZWIRE1426/zwire/images/ACF213A689.jpg

It's Trofholz and Rottino starting, with Palmisano, Eveland, and Pena in town for Tuesday's Midwest League All-Star Game in Cedar Rapids. While I haven't seen it officially announced, I would think the game would be broadcast on the Cedar Rapids' flagship here, but perhaps not:

www.kernels.com/radio.html

Vinny Rottino's also in the home-run derby; we'll keep updates here as opposed to the daily Link Report.

I'll be making the jaunt to Cedar Rapids in a few hours to partake of the festivities. Should be a good time and I'll have a report and pics bright and early in the morning whenever I get back.

Michael

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

Beloit Daily News Game Preview:

Snappy 'Stars

Improved Pena joins four teammates in MWL Classic

By Charlie Corr

Daily News staff writer

Last season it was pretty typical for Beloit Snappers right-hander Luis Pena to give up a huge first or second inning.

He generally seemed to settle down, but those early barrages by the opposing teams left Pena with only a 2-6 record, despite a respectable 3.90 earned run average.

Now Pena is getting hitters out right off the bat, and keeping it that way later in the game.

``I was thinking a lot at my home about this year,'' said Pena, who resides in La Victoria, Venezuela. ``I wanted to have a good year this year, and I've been working hard.''

Pena and four other Snappers will be heading to Cedar Rapids, Iowa for today's 40th annual Midwest League All-Star Game at Veterans Memorial Stadium (7 p.m. start).

One year has made quite a difference for Pena.

He is tied for third-best in the league in winning percentage (.750) with a 6-2 record. His ERA has dropped to 3.30 and he has struck out 63 batters in 71 innings.

``I've worked every day with my pitching coach Rich Sauveur,'' Pena said. ``Every time in the bullpen, he's showing me what to do in the game, and I do it. It's just a matter of location.''

``He has more command in his pitches, and Rich has worked very well with him,'' Snappers manager Don Money said. ``Every now and then you'll see him drop his head a little bit because he missed with his fastball. But he's matured a lot from last year to this year.''

His control has been much improved as well. Pena has yet to hit a batter, while last year he hit seven. He has also given up only five home runs.

Also joining Pena from the Snappers pitching staff is left-hander Dana Eveland.

Eveland's role as both a starter and late reliever have been impressive under the staff's piggy-backing system.

He is 5-2 with a 3.10 ERA. Eveland has started eight of his 13 games, posting two saves and striking out 66 in just 61 innings.

The Snappers will have two men starting for the Western Division squad -- outfielder Terry Trofholz and designated hitter Vinny Rottino.

Rottino has clearly been Beloit's Mr. Versatility this year on the field, playing some outfield, catching and infield in addition to his designated hitter duties. So far he has made just three errors in 69 games.

He is also among the league leaders in batting. Rottino is fourth in the league in total bases (124), third in at-bats (262) and is tied for fifth with Lansing's Kevin Collins in RBIs (50).

Rottino and Trofholz are tied with each other for fourth in hits (77).

Trofholz is third in the league in stolen bases (24) and is sixth in batting average (.308).

When it comes to the glove, Trofholz is the top dog on the Snappers. He has yet to commit an error in the outfield.

Coming off the Western Division bench will be catcher Lou Palmisano.

Last year's third-round draft pick by the Milwaukee Brewers has lived up to his billing.

Palmisano is just ahead of Trofholz with the fifth-best batting average in the league at .30837. He is also sixth in on-base percentage (.388).

Palmisano has done a little of everything. He is tied with Rottino for second on the team in runs scored (38) and is third in RBIs (38). He is third on the squad in hits (70) and third in slugging percentage (.419).

NOTES: The Snappers are off until Thursday when they host the Kane County Cougars for a four-game set, beginning at 7 p.m. The Cougars took first place in the Western Division for the first half of the season, earning an automatic playoff berth.

A few notes from the All Star game.

West 6 East 3

Very fun time. A few gripes...the autograph line was a joke....had like 5 tables lined up in a row...total bottleneck....the line had probably 250 people or more in it and approximately 35 got through the line before they swapped the players out for another "set"....horrible design...better chance for autographs was wandering around and getting players walking around. Also the amount of All-Star memorabilia was small. The pregame festivities took 30 minutes. MWL President Spelius, then the CR Director, then CR President, then CR Mayor..Then America the Beautiful long version then announce teams then you have a "Reggy" solo act, then finally national anthem...not done yet as a helicopter lands on the field delivering the bases....first pitch by Rob Dibble and another dude as well.

Snapper notes:

Truffles played whole game. West squad had 5 OF's and 2nd CF Span was on DL. Terrible night at the plate. 0-5 I believe. I chalk it up to not bunting everytime Money style. He made a nice diving catch though.

Vinny had a single and scored the first run of the game. Had another rip that carried a bit far and was caught. Didn't look good during Home run Derby...had a chance on a couple...one off the wall and another deep enough but just foul in left.

Luis Pena pitched to 2 batters...struck out the first on like 3 pitches. Next guy 3-1 then grounded out to second. night done

Lou P was the 3rd catcher in during 7th inning. One at bat and grounded out to 3rd.

Eveland warmed up in the 8th and 9th but no action. Perhaps left as the just in case man.

Other Notes:

Brandon Wood (CR) beat Scott Whitrock (QC) in the home run derby which was a joke. First round was 8 players and a total of 5 homers by 3 guys. Whitrock was mashing it in the finals...hit about 6 dingers that went foul....had 2 fair. Wood looked ok but barely won. Interesting note...Whitrock was an undrafted free agent out of MATC and is from Wisconsin Rapids.

Reggy performed during the game and was funny except for one half inning he was coming onto the field DURING the game. He was screwing with the first base coach while action was happening...not cool in my books.

Great crowd as 5,500+ were in attendance.

Cedar Rapids is the only place I know that has a dance squad perform in between innings.

Silent Auction for 3 bases autographed by every all-star. A nice touch....all 3 were won by Capn's Mom last time we saw.

Nice to see fans from a lot of different teams there....especially Dayton which had quite a few.

Peoria SS Brendan Ryan had a weird night...had an error in the first...next batter hits a rip job and he makes a fantastic spinning grab on the hot grounder. Top of 3rd hits a solo shot. Next inning has another error. Only errors of the night.

Not a lot of chances to evaluate players during such a small sample but David Castillo (KC), starting catcher in the west had a perfect CS at third. Walker, a fast OF from Lansing had a huge jump from 2nd to 3rd. Castillo made a perfect throw that Brown (3b) just had to squeeze and drop for the tag. Great play. Also met his parents before the game while waiting in line.

Mitch Maier, 2b from Burlington won MVP. He was I believe 3-4. Funny as they were presenting the award and he wasn't around...already in clubhouse and it took quite a few minutes to track him down and present the award.

Brian Dopiriak from Lansing impressed me. He leads the league with 20 jacks. During BP he was mashing. Man among boys as he was hitting them out nearly everytime to all fields. During the homer contest all his shots were deep liners. Just the sound of his bat was so much sweeter than everyone else.

Fireworks after the game were great. Nicely done.

Great game, on a great night, at a great park. Well worth the trip in my opinion. Here's to next year's road trip to Peoria.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

I'm sure it's not important but I guess Dibble also spoke to the all-stars before the game or something. If you listened to the Dan Patrick Show yesterday you already know that. Not sure how enlightening the speech was, but maybe that was cool for the minor-league all-stars to hear from a former major-league all-star.

By the way, that was cool Madbad was able to attend, and file a nice first-hand report.

What's impressive here is that as with most AAA All-Star rosters, true young prospects only dot the roster to a small degree -- lots of 27+ year-olds on that International League squad, with only about ten of 28 players younger.

But we know that at least two are Brewer young prospects http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif .

High Desert first baseman Travis Hinton and second baseman Callix Crabbe take part tonight. Unlike other league All-Star games, this one takes on another league as the game pits the Cal League stars vs. the Carolina League's best -- tougher to make the squad, congrats again to Travis and Callix.

9:15 (Central) Audio Link Tuesday night:

www.sportsjuice.com/provi...tname=ie66

Victor Valley Daily Press:

Mavs' all-stars strut their skills tonight

Crabbe, Hinton to represent High Desert at annual California-Carolina League All-Star Game

By TIM HARAN/Staff Writer

SAN BERNARDINO ? Call it destiny or just a solid hunch, but even before he opened his eyes to the world, Callix Crabbe figured baseball would become an important part of his life.

At least that's how his father explained it to him.

"My dad had a good friend that was a Little League coach," said Crabbe, who grew up in the U.S. Virgin Islands and has six older siblings. "He'd say even before I was born that his next son is going to play for (him). I guess I was meant to play baseball."

Now a professional within the Milwaukee Brewers organization, the High Desert Mavericks second baseman has posted solid numbers this season but was surprised to hear that he'd been named to this year's California League all-star team.

"Of course I was hoping to make it, but it was unexpected," said Crabbe, one of two Mavericks selected to play with the league's best. "It's a goal that you set but it's not your major goal. You want to have fun with the experience because you don't know how many times the opportunity will come along."

Joining Crabbe in tonight's showcase at Arrowhead Credit Union Park in San Bernardino will be High Desert first baseman Travis Hinton, who finished the first half hitting .312 and led the team in home runs. The two will help the California League all-stars as they take on their Carolina League counterparts.

"I'm looking forward to seeing where I fit in terms of other players in the league," said Hinton, who like Crabbe will be competing in his first professional all-star game. "I'm aiming to see what kind of talent is out there and what I need to do to make it to the next level."

"It's an opportunity to mingle with a lot of guys you play against," Crabbe said. "To be around a bunch of talented players, you don't know what it could do for you as a person."

As a pair of High Desert's offensive catalysts, Crabbe and Hinton understand their roles on the team.

For Crabbe, a leadoff speedster with a bit of pop, it's his duty to get on base. In one stretch in the first half, he reached base safely in 24 straight games and is fourth in the league in stolen bases. Hinton, meanwhile, batting in the cleanup spot, is responsible for driving in runs. He finished the first half with a team-leading 50 RBIs.

"They've done their work, they've made adjustments from the beginning of the year until now and they're actually better hitters now than when they started," High Desert hitting coach Stanton Cameron said of the pair. "To me that's a mark of a good hitter."

Also important, Cameron continued, is that with the bases loaded Crabbe was 4-for-4 in the first half with nine RBIs. He also hit .355 with runners in scoring position.

"Callix takes a solid approach every time he comes to the plate," Cameron said. "With runners on, that's a time when you separate great hitters from good hitters. When a pitcher is in a stretch he's going to throw you his best pitches to keep that run from scoring."

In addition to the game itself, several other events are planned for today. The all-star luncheon is set for noon at the Radisson hotel in San Bernardino. Guest speakers will include Seattle Mariners scout David "Squiggy" Lander and Olympic speedskater Derek Parra. The cost is $30 per person.

Players will be available to sign autographs at 4 p.m. at Arrowhead Credit Union Park and at 5:30 p.m., Carolina League and California League all-stars will compete against each other in various skills contests, including a home run derby. Hinton, who is ranked fourth in the league in home runs (14), said he hasn't yet been asked to compete but would like to take part in the contest.

"It's fun to spend time with the guys, watch the home run derby," Crabbe said. "It's beautiful. I hate to use that word, but it's awesome. You're being noticed by people who watch you play every day. You've got to feel proud."

Wonderful news here -- San Bernadino Sun coverage:

All-star performance

Mavericks' Hinton steals show

By MICHELLE GARDNER, Staff Writer

SAN BERNARDINO - High Desert first baseman Travis Hinton might be one of the best kept secrets in the California League. He has solid statistics, but plays for one of the worst teams in the league. Playing in remote Adelanto doesn't lend itself to getting recognition either.

But Hinton's contribution loomed largest as the California League downed the visiting Carolina League team in the eighth annual all-star game Tuesday in front of 4,765 fans at Arrowhead Credit Union Park.

The victory pulls the California League even in the series, 3-3. There have been two ties.

Hinton made his first all-star appearance an unforgettable one, going 3-for-4 with two RBI, scoring a run and stealing a base, earning Most Valuable Player honors for the host team. Earlier in the day, he won the home run hitting contest that was the highlight of the skills competition.

``I'm glad to have had a good day,'' Hinton said. ``We had a pretty bad first half so it was good to have fun playing baseball again.''

The California League squad never trailed, getting two in the first off starter Rich Gardner of Potomac. Rancho Cucamonga's Erick Aybar and 66ers' Juan Gonzalez rapped back-to-back singles and both scored on a single by Hinton.

It stayed that way until the fourth. Hinton again was in the middle of the action, leading off with a single and scoring on a double by Lancaster's Jarred Ball. Ball later raced home on an infield groundout by San Jose's Dan Trumble.

The visitors broke up the shutout against Lake Elsinore's Jon Huber in the fifth inning. Wilmington's Darren Fenster walked and eventually scored on a single by Potomac's Chris Denorfia.

The Carolina League team got three hits in the seventh on three hits off Bakersfield's Brian Henderson, but managed just one run after a nifty double play to get out of the inning.

Hinton's Mavericks teammate Callix Crabbe tripled home the game's final run in the seventh.

``We both came through,'' Hinton said of his teammate's hit. ``Maybe this will get us going in the right direction for the second half.''

Rancho Cucamonga's Steve Shell got the victory, pitching scoreless ball in the third and fourth innings. Visalia's Mike Cosgrove got the save.

Sixers right-hander Bobby Livingston was the biggest contributor of the host team's five representatives. He started for the California League team and tossed two shutout innings, retiring six of the seven batters he faced. The only batter reaching against him was Kinston's Ryan Garko who was hit by a pitch. Livingston struck out one in each of the innings he worked.

``It's really an honor to be able to start the game,'' the Texas native said. ``I love starting. I'm comfortable starting and being able to do that against the best in another league is a thrill.''

The Sixers three position players all started. Gonzalez played second base and went 1-for-2, scoring a run in the second. Catcher Rene Rivera went 0-2, grounding into a double play. And T.J. Bohn, who will leave for Double-A San Antonio today, started in right and struck out in his only at bat.

Right-hander Felix Hernandez did not get in the game. He pitched seven innings Saturday and is slated start in San Antonio Thursday.

Pitcher Justin Wechsler of Lancaster was the only player on the California League squad who did not get in the game. Sixers manager Daren Brown said he was going to split the last inning between Wechsler and Cosgrove, but Wechsler said he had pitched a lot of innings recently and was alright with not getting in the game.

``It was a pretty good game all things considered,'' Brown said. ``You have a lot of guys not used to playing together but it all went well. All-star games are always fun but it's even better when you win.

Mav wins wind-aided HR derby

By DAMIAN SECORE, San Bernadino Sun Correspondent

SAN BERNARDINO - The more High Desert's Travis Hinton swung the bat, the more it seemed like he was in the friendly confines of his home park.

Precious few balls clear the wall at Arrowhead Credit Union Park, but the wind started blowing out and, well, Hinton, who plays in hitter-friendly Maverick Stadium, knows how that works.

Down to his last out in the California League vs. Carolina League all-star home run derby, the left-handed Mavericks first baseman hit four consecutive homers, three onto E Street, to pass Potomac's Tony Blanco and grab the home run title.

"This was a big advantage for lefties. The wind was blowing out and I think it's a little shorter to right (field),' said Hinton, the only left-hander in the contest. "I've hit a couple here so I know the park.

"I got through the first round and I got tired, and I just tried to stay in my groove. This is awesome.'

Hinton, third in the Cal League with 14 homers, improved on his first-round homer total of six with 10 in the final round to beat crowd-favorite Blanco, who hit nine and eight, respectively, in towering fashion in the two rounds.

Inland Empire 66ers of San Bernardino outfielder T.J. Bohn was a late add to the eight-man derby and made it to the second round with a little help. As has now become customary with baseball all-star events, rules can change on the fly. The top four hitters were to advance to the second round. Bohn hit four, good enough for a tie for fifth, but he suddenly found himself among the top six going to the final round.

"That was nice,' said Bohn, who will be promoted to Double-A San Antonio today. "It was a lot of fun. I did all right.'

Hitters had 10 outs (every swing that didn't result in a homer was considered an out) to work with in the first round and five in the second.

Preceding the long ball exhibition was an outfield accuracy contest. Six players had five throws each from left field to hit three pylons at home plate.

There also was a catcher accuracy contest five catchers had five throws each from home plate, aiming at the same pylons at second base.

Lancaster outfielder Jarred Ball, added to the All-Star Game as an alternate after Conor Jackson was promoted to Double-A El Paso, hit the stack on 2-of-5 attempts to win the outfield throwing event.

"I guess it's pretty good,' said Ball, drafted by Arizona in the ninth round in 2001. "It's real fun. My family is in town so I probably would've been with them (had I not been here). We'd probably go to L.A., go to the beach or something.'

The catcher accuracy event went to two playoffs before Myrtle Beach's Brian McCann beat out Modesto's John Suomi in a sudden-death playoff. Both players hit the pylons on 4-of-5 attempts in Round 1 and 2-of-5 in Round 2. Sixers catcher Rene Rivera was 1-of-5 and Rancho Cucamonga's Mike Napoli 2-of-5.

"Going to the last playoff was kind of interesting,' said McCann, a second-round pick by Atlanta and rated the No.7 prospect in the Braves organization. "I wanted to get in the home run derby. I got snubbed.'

Here are links to the Daily Press Coverage of the All-Star Game -- some additional tidbits, quotes, and comments on Hinton and Crabbe's evening:

www.vvdailypress.com/cgi-...296,60332,

www.vvdailypress.com/cgi-...110,60891,

High Desert's Travis Hinton takes a swing during the home run derby Tuesday evening before the California-Carolina League All-Star Game. Hinton won the competition and would later earn the Star of the Game award for the California League.

http://www.vvdailypress.com/storypics2/063004_mavs.jpg

Wow, no one could have predicted that the Huntsville Stars would only place one All-Star (congratulations, Brad Nelson) on the Southern League Western Division All-Star team, especially when you consider only five organizations contribute to the squad:

Team Breakdown:

Nine Cubs' prospects

Five White Sox prospects

Four Padres' prospects

Two Devil Rays' prospects

One Milwaukee prospect

Link:

www.milb.com/articles/?id=1951

Archived