Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Games of Saturday, June 4th

Brewer Fanatic Staff

I'm sure many of you have read the EZ Board postings and announcements about the hacking attack on their forums and their lack of recovery at this time.

Our Minor League Form, normally twenty pages of threads, pretty meticulously maintained and obviously most not yet archived, is but a shell, with barely a page worth of miscellaneous threads.

Here's to their recovery efforts.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....328/SPORTS

Sounds adjust outfield after Krynzel's call-up

By MAURICE PATTON

Staff Writer

Following the Thursday promotion of Dave Krynzel to the Milwaukee Brewers, the Nashville Sounds have an opening for a center fielder.

The Huntsville Stars, the Double-A affiliate of the Brewers, have a center fielder who's playing particularly well these days.

But in the minor leagues, one plus one doesn't always equal two.

Although Tony Gwynn Jr. has shaken off a slow start and elevated his batting average to .291, there are no plans to bring him to Nashville.

"We're not really looking at (Huntsville)," Brewers Director of Player Development Reid Nichols said. "Tony Gwynn (son of the future Hall of Famer) needs more time; we don't think he's ready. Someone to go in there would be a backup player ... We're going to hold off just a little bit. They seem to be OK for now. We don't want to rush into anything."

Krynzel took the roster spot vacated when third baseman Russell Branyan went on the disabled list with a broken left middle finger.

Ryan Knox got the start for the Sounds, who are one short of the 24-player limit, in Thursday's 8-3 win at Albuquerque. The bench will be a bit thin for the upcoming series against Omaha, though, because the visitors are an American League affiliate (Royals) and the series will see both teams utilizing the designated hitter.

"I think it's more important to have the extra position player when you're hitting with the pitcher," Nashville Manager Frank Kremblas said. "It gives you that extra flexibility."

"We talked to Frank and we didn't feel there was an immediate need," Nichols said. "We didn't want to go sign someone just to have 24 players. We're just going to wait and see."

With Krynzel gone, the Sounds are down to just three outfielders ? Knox, Corey Hart and Brad Nelson. However, Kremblas still has some flexibility with regards to the situation there.

"(Trent) Durrington and (Chris) Barnwell have both played out there," he said, referring to two of the team's infielders. "I'm sure (Steve) Scarborough could go out there and run around if need be."

Maurice Patton covers the Nashville Sounds for The Tennessean. He can be reached at mopatton@tennessean.com.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Saturday's Daily Menu:

All times Central; pitchers subject to change --

Nashville: RHP Ben Hendrickson at home vs. Omaha (Royals), 5:40 PM pre-game; 6:00 gametime

Audio link:

www.nashvillesounds.com/listenlive/

Nashville Site Gamecast Feed:

www.nashvillesounds.com/

Huntsville: LHP Dana Eveland at home vs. Mississippi (Braves), 6:50 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime -- ridiculous Southern League schedule with eight games in a row vs. one club...

Audio link:

www.espn1450.com/

If that link is down for bandwidth, use:

specs.eyecentric.com/pres...opup.shtml

Brevard County: LHP Josh Habel and RHP Bo Hall in a doubleheader at Daytona (Cubs), 4:35 PM

Audio link (opponent's -- right side of web page link):

www.daytonacubs.com/

West Virginia: RHP Brian Montalbo at Lakewood (Phillies), 6:05 PM -- the Power face off with the team they've been sharing the basement with most of the season...

Audio link (opponent's -- right side of web page link):

www.blueclaws.com/

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Links to follow Saturday's action as it happens:

Nashville:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_nasaaa_1

Huntsville:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_hunaax_1

Brevard County Game One:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_dbcafx_1

Brevard County Game Two:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_dbcafx_2

West Virginia:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_lwdafx_1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

There appears to be a delay in our Standings source this morning -- we'll check again by the time this evening's action rolls around.

Normally we've been including League Leader information on Saturday's in cut-and-paste format, but today we'll simply link you to USA Today's Minor League Index page. Click on the "League Leaders" links for the various leagues if interested:

www.usatoday.com/sports/b.../index.htm

[ Heck, they need an outfielder? Promote Nelson Cruz. ]

They need a center fielder, not a corner guy... While technically Cruz has played center before, it's probably better to keep him in his position than play him out of position just to get him some at-bats.

That's OK. When Geoff Jenkins voluntarily retires and Hart gets promoted, there'll be a spot for Cruz in AAA. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Brian, speaking of Jenkins, how come he always had those freak injuries when he was doing well? Well, most came when doing well. Why not when he was doing poorly? I'm not wishing for an injury, especially since I don't think our corner guys are ready

Hart sure has bounced back hasn't he. Much to the displeasure of some I am also a proponent of Hart being the next OF promoted. Taking out his Helmsian first month isn't he hitting over .300? Although Cruz seems to be mashing, he needs to cut down his K's first. But he's an intriguing prospect. Same thing with Brad Nelson. The young Nelly probably needs this year and next year at Nashville for sure. I predict the power stroke will come back in the second half for him (fingers crossed).

[ Brian, speaking of Jenkins, how come he always had those freak injuries when he was doing well? ]

Because God hates the Milwaukee Brewers.

[ Well, most came when doing well. Why not when he was doing poorly? I'm not wishing for an injury, especially since I don't think our corner guys are ready ]

I'm certainly not wishing for an injury either, but if Jenks wants to voluntarily retire out of shame and stop getting paid, that'd be OK for the Brewers http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

In all honesty, I think Jenks will still come around and I don't think Hart or Nelson is ready to match his production, but Hart has been looking pretty promising now after a slow start, and he's kind of running out of time at AAA. Maybe it's time to conisider him as a reserve in Milwaukee.

[ Hart sure has bounced back hasn't he. Much to the displeasure of some I am also a proponent of Hart being the next OF promoted. Taking out his Helmsian first month isn't he hitting over .300? Although Cruz seems to be mashing, he needs to cut down his K's first. But he's an intriguing prospect. Same thing with Brad Nelson. The young Nelly probably needs this year and next year at Nashville for sure. I predict the power stroke will come back in the second half for him (fingers crossed). ]

Hey there. Please do me a favor and check your ezBoard inbox for a message from me... Thanks!

I have no problems with Hart. He and Cruz really impressed me in spring training. But I don't envision Hart being ready till around June/July '06. He has as much range as Clark, and his arm appeared as good as Jenkins'. Yet he got some terrible jumps on balls and just flat out looked like Alex Sanchez out there.

If they really want to promote Cruz, Knox should still be capable of playing CF - I've read that his D has deteriorated, but he could do it well enough to let Cruz go up.

My own feeling is that Cruz, despite nice power numbers, hasn't coped well enough with AA batting yet to demonstrate that he'd do well at AAA or higher. His D certainly doesn't suggest that he could play CF.

On a totally different subject, does any one know where I could find Don Money's Win / Loss records as a minor league manager. Yes I know it is irrelevant yada, yada yada. I'm just curious.

Quote:
That's OK. When Geoff Jenkins voluntarily retires and Hart gets promoted, there'll be a spot for Cruz in AAA

Put me on record as saying it is going to be ugly when/if Hart gets a chance in the big leagues. Early prediction. 1st 100 AB's, 12 hits, 2 doubles, 35 k's, O bombs.

He is a long way from being a major league hitter. Comparisons to Sexson are way off base.

I always pull for Brewer prospects but this is going to be ugly. He is the kind of guy who might find his stroke for a different organization when he is 28 or 29. He is no where close as far as I can tell.

Jenkins might be struggling but his horrid numbers would destroy anything Hart could be doing.

Hart is rebounding to a nice AAA season, but his translation, like last year, has him as a weak corner OF at best. While a .120 BA is simply a silly prediction, he wouldn't figure to put up much more than a 750 OPS. I'd rather see him playing every day, working on his game.

C.J. Medlin homered this afternoon in his first AB of game 1 of BC's doubleheader. Is there any way he could put up worse numbers than Moeller? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Quote:
Put me on record as saying it is going to be ugly when/if Hart gets a chance in the big leagues.

Yeah, because of his elbow. Got it.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

"Because God hates the Milwaukee Brewers."

You know, I've been a fan since the late 70's....there might be more to this that we like to admit. Afterall, I saw Ruben and Jaime pitch...EY play the field and Kevin Barker try to hit...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

In progress: West Virginia 7, Lakewood (Phillies) 1, bottom of the 5th at Lakewood

Josh Brady a HR, Hernan Iribarren another triple, Alcides Escobar with two doubles -- Escobar was pinch-run for after his second double, hopefully the 18-year-old is OK...

In progress, Game Two: Daytona (Cubs) 1, Brevard County 0, after three innings

Carlos Villanueva made the start, with announced starter Bo Hall coming in after Carlos goes 2.1 innings -- was it Carlos' day to throw on the side? Odd...

In progress: Mississippi (Braves) 0, Huntsville 0, bottom of the 3rd at the Joe

Dana Eveland has the ground ball pitch going early on; Vinny Rottino behind the plate for the first time in a while...

In progress: Omaha (Royals) 4, Nashville 3, bottom of the 6th in Nashville

Very odd Frank Kremblas call in the 5th -- Sounds at bat, two outs, then single, two walks, and then a 3-0 count to Kevin Orie, who gets the green light and pops out. Green light when third consecutive walk is imminent? Fortunately, the Royals botched a rundown in the 6th to let the Sounds sneak closer...

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
and Melrose Place star Daphne Zuniga goes 4-4.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived