Brewer Fanatic

Link Report Tue. 6/7: WV Walk-Off; Money, Kremblas Furious

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Jupiter (Marlins) 3, Brevard County 2, 11 innings

Twice as many hits as the Hammerheads, but no victory...

Brevard County Box Score:

Uh-oh, why did Steve Moss leave this game early? Very untimely Steve Sollman error allows the visitors to tie things up...

YTD YTD JUPITER AB R H BI AVG BREVARD COUNTY AB R H BI AVG A.De Aza LF 5 0 0 0 .278 T.Ezi RF 0 0 0 0 .250 L.Mitchell 3B 5 0 1 0 .244 T.Ezi CF 5 1 1 0 .250 A.Molina RF 4 0 0 0 .274 D.Anderson LF 4 0 1 1 .284 R.Abercrombi CF 5 0 0 0 .286 A.Heether 3B 5 0 3 0 .308 J.Figueroa DH 5 0 1 0 .323 C.Medlin DH 5 0 0 0 .289 R.Bear 1B 3 2 2 1 .309 S.Moss CF 2 0 0 0 .270 P.Arlis CAT 4 1 0 0 .196 R.Deevers RF 3 0 0 0 .173 M.Brock SS 5 0 1 0 .170 L.Palmisano CAT 5 1 3 1 .258 R.Schade 2B 2 0 0 0 .000 J.Eure 1B 3 0 0 0 .212 K.Randel PH 0 0 0 0 .233 O.Chavez SS 3 0 1 0 .235 K.Randel 2B 1 0 0 1 .233 S.Sollmann 2B 4 0 1 0 .232 P.Mildren PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 R.Anderson PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 M.Olivera PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 B.Hall PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 B.Hoff PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 L.Pena PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 Z.Lerch PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 B.Wolfe PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 D.Tillman PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 L.Stockman PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 TOTALS 39 3 5 2 TOTALS 39 2 10 2 JUPITER 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 1- 3 5 0 BREVARD COUNTY 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0- 2 10 2 E--O.Chavez, S.Sollmann. DP--JUPITER 1, BREVARD COUNTY 1. LOB-- JUPITER 8, BREVARD COUNTY 7. 2B--A.Heether (8). 3B--T.Ezi (6). HR--R.Bear (1), L.Palmisano (3). SB--A.Molina (2), M.Brock (3), A.Heether (1). CS--O.Chavez, S.Sollmann. HBP--O.Chavez. SF--D.Anderson. YTD IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA JUPITER P.Mildren 6.0 5 1 1 1 6 0 3.04 M.Olivera 1.0 2 1 1 0 1 1 3.27 B.Hoff 1.0 2 0 0 0 2 0 0.00 Z.Lerch (W,1-0) 2.0 0 0 0 0 4 0 3.00 D.Tillman (S,3) 1.0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1.69 BREVARD COUNTY R.Anderson 2.2 1 0 0 0 5 0 0.00 B.Hall 1.1 0 0 0 2 2 0 4.21 L.Pena 2.1 1 2 1 2 3 0 4.02 B.Wolfe 1.2 1 0 0 0 3 0 0.00 L.Stockman (L,0-3) 3.0 2 1 1 1 3 1 3.71 HB--P.Mildren. SO--A.De Aza 2, A.Molina 3, R.Abercrombi 3, J.Figueroa 3, P.Arlis 2, M.Brock 2, R.Schade, T.Ezi, D.Anderson 2, A.Heether 2, C.Medlin 3, R.Deevers 2, L.Palmisano, J.Eure 3. BB--A.Molina, R.Bear 2, P.Arlis, K.Randel, J.Eure. T--3:22. A--1363

Brevard County Game Log:

Newcomer Brian Wolfe's first six Brewer outings have been scoreless; bases loaded, one out in the 2nd -- no runs;

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_breafx_1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

www.wvgazette.com/section...2005060740

Power wins on homer in 11th, 2-1

By Jim Workman

For The Charleston Gazette

It turned out to be a walk in the park for Hasan Rasheed.

Rasheed pounded a walk-off home run to lead off the bottom of the 11th inning to lift the West Virginia Power to a 2-1 victory over the Lexington Legends in a South Atlantic League game at Appalachian Power Park before 3,575 fans on Tuesday.

Rasheed wasn?t looking to go deep, but was pleased with the results.

?It felt great, being my first home run,? said Rasheed, a 5-foot-8, 170-pound outfielder who is playing in his 11th game with the Power (20-38). ?I was just looking to get on base. I just had to get around on it and get out of here so they could hit me on the head. I wanted to go celebrate.?

Despite Rasheed?s small stature, Power manager Ramon Aviles wasn?t caught off guard by his late-game heroics.

?It didn?t surprise me,? said Aviles. ?He?s small, but he is strong.?

?We?ve been playing well, but our problem has been hitting in the clutch,? Aviles said. ?Finally we got some clutch hits.

?We?re struggling right now, so we?re trying to get a win the best way we can.?

The Power have now won four of its last five contests.

Lexington starter Jimmy Barthmaier pitched seven strong innings, allowing just two hits and no runs, striking out six while not giving up a walk.

Mark Rogers, who started for the Power, lasted only two innings but was limited to a low number of pitches due to a prior finger injury.

After eight scoreless innings, Kevin Vital had smacked an RBI single to right field in the top of the ninth off Power reliever Yovani Gallardo, giving Lexington a 1-0 lead.

Aviles called upon reliever Ben Stanczyk to silence the Legends rally, and he responded. Stanczyk worked out of a bases-loaded jam by striking out Lou Santangelo.

In the bottom of the ninth, Hernan Iribarren came through in the clutch for the Power, blasting a game-tying RBI triple into the right-field corner. The hit came with two outs and scored Will Lewis, who had drawn a walk, making it 1-all.

Ryan Thompson (1-3) got the loss for Lexington (35-24), while Stanczyk (2-1) was credited with the win.

Lexington first base coach Rodney Linares was ejected in the bottom of the eighth inning. With no outs and runners on first and second, Legends outfielder Mitch Einertson hit a grounder to Power first baseman Grant Richardson, who threw to third, forcing out Lexington runner Hunter Pence on a close play.

Linares and manager Tim Bogar, who was coaching third base, voiced their objections to the field umpire John Conrad, who gave Linares the heave-ho.

POWER NOTES: Rogers and utility player Will Lewis were both activated from the disabled list. Utility player Agustin Septimo and pitcher Simon Beresford were sent to Helena of the Pioneer League, and catcher Nestor Corredor was promoted to the Class AAA Nashville Sounds ...

The Power played its second 11-inning game in a row, sandwiched between a bus trip from Lakewood, N.J. All that, and the Power must play at 1:05 p.m. today (12:05 Central) ...

Actually, the game Monday isn?t over ? it was suspended in the 11th with the teams tied at 1. It will resume when Lakewood visits over the weekend... Today?s game is a ?Businessman?s Special? with a golf towel giveaway.

West Virginia Power first baseman Grant Richardson concentrates on a pop fly hit by Lexington?s Jonny Ash.

Charleston Gazette Photographer: Chris Dorst

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/images/stories/popup.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

www.al.com/stars/huntsvil...amp;coll=1

Relievers falter again; Stars now in last

By MARK McCARTER

Huntsville Times Sports Staff markcolumn@aol.com

David Bradley had just struck out Juan Velazquez, making him fish and flail on a pitch around his shoe tops.

At almost the same instant, two voices in the press box made note: The Mississippi Braves had struck out at least once in every inning. The Huntsville Stars pitchers had collected 11 strikeouts.

They were observations along the lines of, "Did you notice the buffet on the Titanic had both filet mignon and lobster tails?''

Or, "Don't those air bags look pretty when they inflate after you pile into a wall going 75 mph?''

Eleven K's? Means very little after being KO'd still again, this one a 10-8 Stars stumble against the Braves when the bullpen again melted like M&Ms in your mouth.

It gave Mississippi seven wins in eight meetings against the Stars since May 31, the 10th loss in 12 games for Huntsville and the 14th loss in 17 home games. Perhaps happily, then, the Stars leave today for a two-game set in Chattanooga.

So it was that Stars manager Don Money closed the doors for a 15-minute meeting, and an oration that threatened to peel the paint off the wall.

"You don't like my language, call your agent,'' he told them.

And, "If you don't think you deserve it, tell him you want to be traded.''

And, "Look around. You won't see the same 25 people in the room at the end of the year.''

And, "Those people in the stands, they should demand their money back.''

Money blistered the players for the obvious. "Nobody is coming out of the pen and getting the job done,'' he said.

Reliever Matt Dewitt lost Sunday's game in a five-run Braves' rally and couldn't stop things Tuesday, though the loss was tagged to Khalid Ballouli.

The Huntsville bullpen, in the eight games against Mississippi, has allowed 19 earned runs and 34 hits in 26 innings. Only the aforementioned Bradley, with just one hit allowed in his last five innings of work, isn't in the position of looking for a hole in the sand to bury his head.

Money also blistered them for the less-than-obvious. For instance, a pop foul that dropped in front of first baseman Brandon Gemoll when he neglected to flip his sunglasses to fight the glare. "Zero excuses,'' Money said, "for dropping a pop-up.''

The batter, Wes Timmons, eventually walked, driving in one of the five runs in the Mississippi eighth that wiped out the Stars' 8-5 lead. Ballouli had loaded the bases with two singles and a walk, then Dewitt gave up the bases-loaded walk and three more singles.

After collecting only two hits Monday, the Stars came up with 14 hits Tuesday - but even didn't seem to fit the prescription.

"I think their pitchers have made adjustments to our hitters, and our (pitchers) didn't,'' Money said. "And we're not making quality pitches.''

"I don't see any confidence,'' said hitting coach Sandy Guerrero. "All I see is ... fear not to fail. They're trying to do things so perfect.''

Vinny Rottino, who had three hits, cranked a two-run homer in the second and Enrique Cruz contributed an RBI double. Then Huntsville overcame a four-run Mississippi fourth by scoring three more in the fifth, two coming on a Rottino single.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....328/SPORTS

Omaha sweeps by Sounds

Kremblas blasts team's four-game performance

By MAURICE PATTON

Tennessean Staff Writer

Playing as if they had a plane to catch ? which they did ? the Omaha Royals scored six runs in the first four innings to defeat host Nashville 7-3 yesterday.

In order to allow the visitors to make their 6 p.m. flight, a travel contingency was in place for the contest, with no inning set to start past 3 p.m. However, Omaha didn't take quite that long to hand the Sounds their first four-game sweep of the season.

Nashville was outscored 25-12 in the series, falling to 4-8 against the Royals after winning three of four at Albuquerque and sweeping visiting New Orleans.

"I don't know if they thought they didn't have to play hard any more or what, but that was an absolutely horrible performance for four games," Sounds Manager Frank Kremblas said. "All facets were gross. It makes me sick."

Pitching, defense, offense, baserunning ? the team had a breakdown in each of the four at some point during the series.

"We were just sluggish," right fielder Corey Hart said. "This schedule has been tough on everybody. I think we just mentally were not there. It's tough because we had come off three good series in a row. I think the off day will help a lot."

The Sounds open a four-game series in Iowa tomorrow before returning to Greer Stadium for eight games beginning Monday.

"They need to regroup and figure out what they're going to do," Kremblas said. "It looked like a lot of selfishness at the plate at times, a lot of errors after at-bats ? a lot of stuff you see in high school, that you shouldn't see here.

"They know it. They've got to change it themselves. If they can't change it themselves, they're in trouble."

Down 3-0 before coming to the plate, the Sounds cut the deficit to 3-2 with Prince Fielder's two-run groundout. From there, though, Nashville managed only one base hit ? Chris Barnwell's single to lead off the third inning ? before Fielder's solo home run to open the seventh.

"We swung at a lot of bad pitches, which is a sign of being tired mentally," Kremblas said. "I know we've got a lot of young players, but I'm tired of us using that as an excuse. They're men now, or they should be men, and they've got to figure it out."

New arrival: Nestor Corredor was added to the roster prior to yesterday's game. The 21-year-old catcher comes from Class A West Virginia to fill the roster spot created when veteran receiver Julio Mosquera had his contract purchased Monday by the Brewers.

Mosquera, who was hitting .204 with a home run and 12 RBI in 25 games, joined the Brewers after veteran catcher Damian Miller strained his right groin in Sunday's game against the Dodgers.

To make room for Mosquera on the 25- and 40-man rosters, the Brewers designated pitcher Gary Glover for assignment. Glover was 3-4 with a 6.70 earned run average in 12 appearances (nine starts) for Milwaukee.

Corredor was hitting .208 at West Virginia, but threw out 5 of 11 potential basestealers.

Join the club: Chris Barnwell's fielding error in the second inning yesterday gave the Sounds nine in their last three games. He's the fifth different Nashville player to commit a defensive miscue in that dubious run.

Second baseman Rickie Weeks made three errors in the previous two games, as did shortstop Steve Scarborough.

Back to work: Sounds veteran radio play-by-play announcer Chuck Valenches returned to the booth yesterday after missing Monday's game following minor oral surgery.

Bringing out his best: Omaha catcher Scott Walter's two-run home run in the first inning off Sounds starter Justin Lehr yesterday was his third of the season ? and his second at Greer Stadium. Walter hit his first homer of the year on April 30 off Nashville reliever Kane Davis.

Walter's other home run came on May 26 against Fresno.

Game at a glance

? Losing pitcher: Justin Lehr (5-5).

? Big stick: Prince Fielder, 1-for-3, solo home run, three RBIs.

? How they lost: Nashville only managed six baserunners ? with two of those erased via double plays. Nashville pitchers racked up 12 strikeouts, but they also allowed five extra-base hits.

? What they said: "I've tried to let them know we're not playing very well. I guess I've got to try harder." ? Nashville Manager Frank Kremblas, whose team had won eight of its last 10 games before the current four-game slide.

? Thursday's pitchers: Sounds ? RHP Jose Capellan (4-2, 49 ERA). Cubs ? RHP Raul Valdez (3-2, 3.41).

Maurice Patton covers the Nashville Sounds for The Tennessean. He can be reached at mopatton@tennessean.com.

www.nashvillecitypaper.co...s_id=42009

Kremblas irate after sweep

By Mark McGee, Nashville City Paper Sports Correspondent

The dog days of summer are here, but Nashville Sounds manager Frank Kremblas knows it is way too early in the season for his team to be dogging it.

But that is what he implied Tuesday afternoon as the Sounds wilted in all facets of the game in a 7-3 loss to the Omaha Royals in hot and muggy Greer Stadium. It was the fourth straight loss for the Sounds.

?Something happened out there this series,? Kremblas said. ?They quit. They were tired. They relaxed. We played seven-out-of-eight games really well, and then we come home and give absolutely a horrible performance for four games straight. We have young players, but how many times are we going to use that as an excuse.?

The fours losses to Omaha mark the first time this season the Sounds have been swept in a series. Kremblas was at a loss to see anything good about the series.

?All facets were gross,? Kremblas said. ?Pitching, defense, base running and offense were all sick. There is a lot of stuff you see in high school that you shouldn?t see here. I?ve tried to let them know they aren?t playing very well. I know it?s not fun to watch.?

The Sounds managed only five hits against Omaha in the series finale. Prince Fielder accounted for all three runs, including clubbing a solo home run in the seventh. It was the 12th home run of the season for Fielder who is tied with Rickie Weeks for the team lead.

The Sounds were one-for-nine with runners on base and two-for-24 in their last two games.

?To me it looked like there was a lot of selfishness at the plate,? Kremblas said. ?We swung at a lot of bad pitches in this game and throughout the series. That is a sign of being tired mentally.?

All Pacific Coast League teams are taking Wednesday off.

?It?s a good time for a day off so I don?t have to see them,? Kremblas said. ?They need to regroup and figure out what they are going to do. They have to change themselves. If they can?t change themselves they are in trouble. Are they going to play baseball like men or go play in a beer league??

The Sounds will play Thursday night at 7:05 in Iowa against the Cubs. Right-hander Jose Capellan (4-2, 4.39 ERA) will start for the Sounds against Iowa right-hander Raul Valdez (3-2, 3.41).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

www.dailymail.com/news/Sports/200506086/

Rasheed provides late power

Michael Dailey

Charleston Daily Mail sportswriter

Just 27 games into its inaugural season of minor league baseball, Appalachian Power Park has already proven to be among the top ballparks at the Class A level.

However, there is one upgrade the multi-million dollar park could use: A revolving door on the home clubhouse.

A spinning door would have helped in recent days, as the West Virginia Power returned home from an eight-game road trip with several changes to its roster.

Right-handed pitcher Mark Rogers and outfielder Will Lewis returned from stints on the disabled list, while infielder Tony Festa joined the Power (20-38) from extended spring training in Arizona.

Those three replaced reliever Simon Beresford, utility player Agustin Septimo and catcher Nestor Corredor on the Power roster just in time to be a part of a thrilling 2-1 win over the Lexington Legends on Tuesday evening.

Beresford and Septimo will report to rookie league Helena on June 12, while Corredor was sent to Class AAA Nashville to fill a roster spot.

Two players from the opening day roster -- Dallas Bates and Jason Tuttle -- have already been released from the Milwaukee Brewers' organization.

A crowd of 3,575 watched as the Power rallied to tie Tuesday's game on a two-out, ninth-inning RBI triple by Hernan Iribarren. Then, Hasan Rasheed won it on an 11th inning walk-off homer.

"It's exciting when he does that," said Power Manager Ramon Aviles. "It excites the fans and it excites the players.

"It was a great game, with great pitching on both sides. Usually, in a game pitched like that, one of two things is going to happen to end it. Either an error or a home run."

But more exciting than the dramatic ending, was the return of Rogers, the Milwaukee Brewers' top pick last year.

Rogers returned from recent blister problems on his pitching hand, to toss two scoreless innings, before bowing to a strict pitch count.

Rogers allowed no hits and struck out three in his brief return to the mound.

Festa, a 23rd round draft choice in the 2004, also made his return from illness and injury against the Legends.

Festa batted .305 with seven homers, 19 doubles and 53 RBI in 67 games at Helena last season. But a rash of injuries forced the 6-foot-3, 210 pound third baseman to stay in Arizona while playing himself into shape.

"Last year I broke a bone in my (right) hand," said Festa. "Then when I got to spring training, I had to have my appendix taken out.

Then, when I started swinging the bat again, my hand was still hurting, so I had to have another surgery on my hand."

Now recovered, Festa is just glad to be a part of a team again.

"It's been frustrating, but this is unbelievable," said Festa.

"In Arizona, it's getting hot and it's really tedious there.

"The guys have made me feel really welcome here and the ballpark is gorgeous. It's awesome and there was a good crowd here too.

"I played in Montana last year and we never had crowds like this."

The Milwaukee Brewers made selections in each of the first 18 rounds of the Major League draft Tuesday, except for the second.

The Brewers' first pick at the No. 5 overall slot was University of Miami third baseman Ryan Braun.

Brewers scouting director Jack Zduriencik told MLB.com that once Braun signs he would either join the Power or go to Rookie League Helena.

Braun would add pop to a struggling Power lineup. He's batting .412 with 18 homers, 75 RBI and 22 stolen bases for the Hurricanes, which play in this weekend's NCAA Super Regional.

Baseball America named Braun its Freshman of the Year in 2003 when he broke Pat Burrell's freshman RBI record at Miami by driving in 76 runs to go along with 17 homers.

Most of the other position players Milwaukee drafted were either high school or junior college prospects, so immediate help might not be coming this season.

Lexington's Lou Santangelo, right, steals third ahead of the tag of Power third baseman Tony Festa.

Charleston Daily Mail Photo: Bob Wojcieszak

Pretty good, first day on the job, he gets his picture in the paper...

http://www.dailymail.com/images/Power0608.jpg

To be honest, I gotta wonder if Kremblas and Money are a bit out of touch. Years ago, I read an article that drill instructors in the military had stopped yelling and swearing at the recruits, as it simply didn't work anymore. The kids either ignored them or shrugged their shoulders, as they'd heard much worse back home.

I'm not sure if it had any effect on the "roster filler", but I promise you Prince and Rickie could give a rat's behind what Frank says.

but I promise you Prince and Rickie could give a rat's behind what Frank says.

I tend to agree, which is one reason why their D is probably destined to remain sub standard for their careers . It doesn't really look like either them has ever listened to any of their coaches or managers on that subject.

To be fair, One of Frank's few talents (IMO) is his ability to handle the press. And what he says to the Nashville reporters is liable to be very different from how he handles things in the club house. The press will be told what they want to hear about the dismal performances (making sure no blame falls on the manager) and apart from that he'll be a total realist in the clubhouse and try a much more friendly approach. Attracting adverse media coverage might actually be one of the few things that persuade Rickie & Prince to work on the less glamorous aspects of their game, so this might be the right way to handle it.

Don Money is in a totally different position at Huntsville.None of the players he bawled out have any of the prestige that Prince and Rickie have. The Cruz twins & TGJ might feel that they have some sort of status, but in reality they'd all like good reports going from the manager to Mil. So after having tried everything else he can think of Money may as well try threats - what has he got to lose? Also it gives the press what they want - Team plays bad, manager goes ballistic, is an acceptable story for the local populace who have had to watch the pitiful excuse for baseball that this lot have served up. What he actually said behind closed doors may well have been more temperate than what was reported.

Or to put it another way - don't believe everything you read in the local press.

The play of the minor league teams has been so gawdawefulbad this year that the managers may be getting pressure from above to get their teams in line. The Brewers are trying to develop a winning attitude in the minors, and the players have had the wrong attitude by and large this season. Part of the problem is bad player assignments out of spring training, but a lot of the blame lies on the players themselves. The managers are supposed to be teachers, but when the players seemingly are comfortable with their mistakes...

The Brewers are trying to develop a winning attitude in the minors,

Now Toby - those of us who have actually watched them over the last few years (the minor teams) will take a lot of convincing of that http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/happy.gif

Archived