Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Games of Monday, June 27th

Can we get rid of Helling and promote one of the many AA pitchers that deserve it?

Helling is doing fine. Pratt, Housman, et al are bigger priorities

By the way, in respect to Scoop (it was Scoop, wasnt it?), did you catch the bit about Hart talking about his slight elbow adjustment that is letting him come through the ball quicker and more level.

HOFFY, Scoop was saying he needed to change his elbow to increase his uppercut. However, your quote indicates the change was to make his swing more level.

DHonks, I cannot remember the exact words... just things like searching for an adjustment and leveling off and bat speed and even reading fan forums looking for the answers. I even read here he was talking about changing his stance every game.

I kind of ignore all that talk because everyone does it and talks it. But it seems a huge conincidence how much he has improved. He surely did not suddenly learn how to hit. It is surely just some mechanical fix.

I am also officially worried about Krynzel. Not including Rookie Ball, his K:BB has been pretty bad since he was drafted and he has apparently done nothing to try to improve this since he's been in the minors. His batting stats look a like the '04 Podsednik to me. Not good if you want to be a successful lead-off guy. I honestly can't remember the last Nashville boxscore I looked at where he didn't strike out. He's got a lot of RBIs though, so maybe he's "clutch." But after watching Fielder and Hart turn it around in AAA after slow starts, maybe it's Krynzel's turn now. But at this point, all I can say is that I'm truly appreciative of the season that Brady Clark is having at the plate.

Meanwhile, Braun and Salome both with another good game at the plate. What the Helena is with that team?!?!

What the Helena is with that team?!?!

What the Helena? indeed. Fear the future.

Looks like we're going to have a perfect night, at least not counting the supposed AZ baseball team that may or may not play games that may or may not get reported.

Just wondering if any has seen a picture of Alcides Escobar because he looks very small in is profile picture. Kinda like he hasn't ate in like a year to be honest. I just cant see that small of a kid hitting triples the way he has.

thanx

I don't think Krynzel has to be a lead off type of player. I mean, just because he is a fast CF doesn't mean he is a lead off hitter. If he develops a little more power he could be a 6, 7, or 8 hitter just fine. Marked me down as not that worried, but we will soon see.

homer..

you know good and well that all of those posts were in the context of the elbow argument. I cant rewrite my analysis in EVERY post during an argument. I mentioned several times that Harts main problem could be addressed and that unless he changes he will suck at the big league level. Apparently he has made an elbow adjustment and has since turned things around. I dont see how that makes me wrong. I think it supports what I have been saying all along. But, believe what you want.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Nashville Media Notes for Monday (PDF format):

www.nashvillesounds.com/pdf/notes.pdf

Final: Nashville 10, Oklahoma (Rangers) 7

Nashville Site Game Summary:

Link for Brad Nelson photo, text follows --

www.nashvillesounds.com/n...ewsId=1659

OKLAHOMA CITY ? The Nashville Sounds won their third in a row and picked up their eighth win in their last 11 contests on Monday evening, hanging a 10-7 defeat on the Oklahoma RedHawks in the third game of a four-game series at SBC Bricktown Ballpark.

The loss was Oklahoma?s 13th in a row, while Nashville (43-36) moved to a season-best seven games over .500 and maintained its 3 ½ game lead over Memphis in the PCL American Conference Northern Division.

Eight different Nashville players drove in a run in the contest. The Sounds posted a double-digit hit total for the fifth straight game and plated 10 or more runs for the fifth time in 11 contests against the RedHawks this season.

Sounds infielder Tony Zuniga extended his hitting streak to eight games with a 2-for-5 evening while outfielder Corey Hart continued his hot hitting with a two-hit effort that extended his streak to seven games.

Oklahoma jumped out to an early lead with three runs against Sounds starter Rick Helling in the bottom of the first inning, highlighted by a two-run Chad Allen homer.

For the third time in the series, Nashville rallied from an early deficit and took a 4-3 advantage with four runs in the top of the second. Sounds outfielder Corey Hart opened the frame by extending his hitting streak to seven games by ripping his 23rd double of the year. Brad Nelson followed with an RBI single off Oklahoma starter Josh Rupe to put the Sounds on the board. Julio Mosquera and Steve Scarborough added run-scoring singles of their own later in the frame, the latter tying the contest at 3-3. After both players moved up a base on a Rupe wild pitch, Mosquera scored on a Dave Krynzel RBI groundout to put Nashville into the lead.

Hart continued his solid night in the third when he belted a one-out solo homer to left-center off Rupe to up the lead to 5-3. The blast was his seventh of the year.

Audio Link of Corey Hart's HR:

www.nashvillesounds.com/a...206-27.mp3

The RedHawks got a run back in the bottom of the frame on Manny Alexander?s run-scoring groundout.

The Sounds put up another four-spot in the top of the fifth for some breathing room and a 9-4 cushion. Rehabbing third baseman Russell Branyan made his Sounds debut by drawing a pinch-hit walk to open the frame. Warren Morris followed with a single and both players scored on Nelson?s two-run triple to left. Zuniga singled to plate Nelson and Scarborough moved him to third with a knock of his own to chase Rupe. Ryan Knox greeted Oklahoma reliever Justin Thompson with a sacrifice fly to plate Zuniga.

Oklahoma posted another single run in the bottom of the inning on back-to-back one-out doubles by Adrian Gonzalez and Jason Conti against Helling.

RedHawks designated hitter Chris Richard greeted Nashville reliever Jeff Bennett with a leadoff solo homer to right-center in the bottom of the sixth, the slugger?s fifth roundtripper of the campaign.

Branyan (1-for-2) recorded the first hit of his rehab stint, driving an RBI double to right in the top of the eighth off Erasmo Ramirez to score Knox and increase the Nashville lead to 10-6.

Former Sound Keith McDonald pulled Oklahoma within three at 10-7 in the bottom of the frame, smacking a solo homer to left off Andy Pratt. The tater was the RedHawks? third of the evening and the backstop?s second of the year.

Helling (6-3) earned the victory after allowing five runs on eight hits over his five frames. Rupe (1-2) took the loss after surrendering nine runs on 10 hits in his 4 1/3 innings of work. Jose Capellan recorded the final four outs for Nashville to pick up his third save and extend his scoreless inning streak to 9 1/3 since moving to the bullpen in early June.

The Sounds look for the sweep when the teams wrap up the four-game set with a 7:05 p.m. CT finale on Tuesday evening. Right-hander Justin Lehr (7-6, 4.91) will man the bump for Nashville. RedHawks southpaw Ryan Snare (1-2, 5.65) provides the opposition.

Nashville Box Score:

YTD YTD NASHVILLE AB R H BI AVG OKLAHOMA AB R H BI AVG D.Krynzel CF 5 0 1 1 .265 E.German 3B 3 0 0 0 .331 C.Hart DH 2 0 0 0 .306 I.Kinsler 2B 4 1 1 0 .272 R.Branyan PH 0 0 0 0 .500 C.Allen LF 5 2 2 2 .310 R.Branyan DH 2 1 1 1 .500 A.Gonzalez 1B 4 2 3 0 .299 W.Morris 2B 5 1 1 0 .309 J.Conti CF 5 0 2 1 .242 C.Hart RF 5 2 2 1 .306 M.Alexander SS 5 0 1 2 .305 B.Nelson 1B 5 2 2 3 .251 R.Eldridge RF 4 0 0 0 .280 T.Zuniga 3B 5 2 2 1 .406 C.Richard DH 4 1 1 1 .252 J.Mosquera CAT 4 1 2 1 .224 K.McDonald CAT 4 1 1 1 .267 R.Knox LF 3 1 1 1 .229 J.Rupe PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 S.Scarboroug SS 3 0 1 1 .257 J.Thompson PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 R.Helling PIT 0 0 0 0 .111 A.Montero PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 J.Bennett PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 E.Ramirez PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 A.Pratt PIT 0 0 0 0 .333 J.Capellan PIT 0 0 0 0 .250 TOTALS 39 10 13 10 TOTALS 38 7 11 7 NASHVILLE 0 4 1 0 4 0 0 1 0-10 13 1 OKLAHOMA 3 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0- 7 11 2 E--J.Mosquera, M.Alexander, K.McDonald. DP--NASHVILLE 0, OKLAHOMA 0. LOB--NASHVILLE 5, OKLAHOMA 9. 2B--C.Hart (23), R.Branyan (1), A.Gonzalez (7), J.Conti (14), M.Alexander (17). 3B--B.Nelson (2). HR--C.Hart (7), C.Allen (3), C.Richard (5), K.McDonald (2). SB--W.Morris (3), R.Knox (6), I.Kinsler (9). HBP--E.German. SF--R.Knox. SH--S.Scarboroug. YTD IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA NASHVILLE R.Helling (W,6-3) 5.0 8 5 5 2 3 1 4.41 J.Bennett 2.0 2 1 1 0 2 1 3.96 A.Pratt 0.2 1 1 1 1 0 1 8.19 J.Capellan (S,3) 1.1 0 0 0 1 1 0 4.46 OKLAHOMA J.Rupe (L,1-2) 4.1 10 9 9 1 2 1 9.11 J.Thompson 2.2 1 0 0 0 1 0 4.91 A.Montero 0.1 1 1 1 0 0 0 11.57 E.Ramirez 1.2 1 0 0 0 1 0 3.38 HB--J.Bennett. WP--R.Helling, J.Rupe. SO--D.Krynzel, C.Hart, R.Branyan, R.Knox, I.Kinsler, C.Allen, J.Conti, M.Alexander, R.Eldridge, K.McDonald. BB--R.Branyan, E.German, I.Kinsler, A.Gonzalez, R.Eldridge. T--2:58. A--6648

Nashville Game Log:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_orhaaa_1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Huntsville 7, Jacksonville (Dodgers) 5

Huntsville Site Game Summary:

Link for Brandon Gemoll photo, text follows --

www.huntsvillestars.com/s...newsId=649

Brandon Gemoll belted a three-run home run in the fifth inning to put Huntsville ahead to stay in a 7-5 win over Jacksonville Monday night in the third game of a four-game set at Joe Davis Stadium. The Stars improved to 5-2 in the second half of the season and took over sole possession of first place in the North Division after Carolina was defeated by Birmingham for a second straight night, while the Suns dropped to 3-4 in the second half and 41-35 overall. The Stars won for a fifth time in six games and lifted their record at home to 20-19.

Vinny Rottino singled with one out in the fifth, moved to second base on a passed ball, stayed there when Nelson Cruz walked before Gemoll drove a 3-2 offering over the wall in right-center field to push Huntsville ahead 6-4. It was Gemoll?s fourth home run of the season and his second in four games. The long ball knocked Jacksonville starter Joel Hanrahan out of the game and was the 12th he has allowed in 10 starts with the Suns.

Nelson Cruz doubled home Rottino in the seventh to extend the Stars advantage to 7-4 and increase his season runs batted in total to 54. The Huntsville right fielder hit a solo home run in the third inning to put the Stars ahead 3-2 and has now hit safely in 16 of his last 18 games at home and driven in 25 runs in the last 28 games.

Stars starter Dana Eveland was taken out of the game with the bases loaded and two outs in the fifth inning after the Suns had scored twice to move in front 4-3. Khalid Ballouli got the Stars out of trouble by inducing Nick Alvarez to bounce into an inning-ending fielder?s choice on the first pitch he threw. The right-hander then yielded a lone run over the next four innings to grab his third win of the year, first in relief, and end a personal four-game losing streak. Ballouli struck out five and did not walk a batter in the longest outing by a Stars reliever this season. Eveland was charged with four runs on eight hits and four walks after allowing only four earned runs in 33 innings in his last five outings.

The series wraps up Tuesday night, as right-hander Dennis Sarfate gets the starting nod for the Stars against Suns right-hander Justin Orenduff. Coverage of the game gets underway at 6:50 p.m. central time on ESPN 1450 AM and via the internet at www.huntsvillestars.com.

Link while active, text follows:

www.al.com/stars/huntsvil...amp;coll=1

Huntsville offense still in high gear

Stars turn back Jacksonville 7-5 as Nelson Cruz shines

By MATTHEW NASCONE

Times Staff Writer eintern@htimes.com

The Huntsville Stars has found its Cruz control.

In the process, the Stars stayed in gear for 7-5 victory Monday against the Jacksonville Suns at Joe Davis Stadium.

Nelson Cruz sparked the Stars to their fifth win in six tries with two hits in two at bats and added a pair of walks. He crushed a home run in the third inning and doubled in the seventh.

"I was patient at the plate today, I got my pitch and I swung at it," Cruz said.

After being outscored 255-340 in the first half of the season, the Stars have outscored foes 49-25 in a 5-2 start in the season's second half.

"Everyone is happy, we are playing good," Cruz said. "We have put pitching and hitting together and that is the key to the game."

The Stars opened the scoring in the bottom of the first inning when Tony Gwynn Jr. scored on an error by Jacksonville shortstop Joel Guzman.

Jacksonville answered in the top of the second inning. With two outs, Russ Martin doubled to right field and Nicolas Alvarez followed him with a single to left field, plating Martin. Joel Hanrahan then struck out looking to end the inning.

In Huntsville's half of the second inning, John Vanden Berg led off with a single to shallow right field. Callix Crabbe tripled down the right-field line. The right fielder bobbled the ball, which gave Vanden Berg time to cross the plate. Crabbe was stranded at third.

Jacksonville answered in the top of the third when Delwyn Young scored on a sacrifice fly by Guzman.

The Stars broke the tie on Cruz's home run in the bottom of the inning.

There was no scoring in the fourth inning, but the game broke open in the fifth as the Suns scored two in the top half and the Stars plated three in the bottom half.

Jacksonville's Todd Donovan walked to open the inning. Donovan stole second and then moved to third on a fly-out by Young. Andy LaRoche's single scored Donovan. LaRoche scored on a single by James Loney.

In the bottom of the fifth, Brandon Gemoll hit a laser over the right-center field fence, scoring Vinny Rottino and Nelson Cruz. "I think Gemoll did an awesome job, because that pitcher was pitching good, and when he got his pitch it was gone," Cruz said.

Huntsville added to their lead in the seventh inning on a Cruz double, scoring Rottino. The only other run scored was in the top of the ninth inning. Guzman doubled to right-center field to score LaRoche, but Loney flailed at a curve ball to end the game.

Huntsville starting pitcher Dana Eveland had allowed only four earned runs in his last five starts, but he allowed three Monday. He did not make it out of the fifth inning, leaving the bases loaded for relief pitcher Khalid Ballouli. Eveland pitched 4 2/3 innings, allowing four earned runs with four strikeouts and four walks with eight hits.

Ballouli (3-6) notched the win for the Stars. Joel Hanrahan (4-4) took the loss.

Huntsville Box Score:

Nelson Cruz on base all four plate appearances...

YTD YTD JACKSONVILLE AB R H BI AVG HUNTSVILLE AB R H BI AVG T.Donovan CF 4 1 1 0 .286 A.Gwynn CF 5 1 1 0 .289 D.Young 2B 5 1 1 0 .294 K.Bibbs LF 4 0 0 0 .258 A.LaRoche 3B 5 2 3 1 .348 V.Rottino 3B 4 2 2 1 .295 T.Meadows LF 4 0 0 0 .291 N.Cruz RF 2 2 2 2 .309 J.Guzman SS 4 0 3 2 .283 B.Gemoll 1B 4 1 1 3 .246 J.Loney 1B 5 0 1 1 .264 E.Cruz SS 4 0 0 0 .290 R.Martin CAT 2 1 1 0 .316 J.Vandn Berg CAT 3 1 1 0 .269 N.Alvarez RF 3 0 1 1 .328 C.Crabbe 2B 4 0 2 1 .239 J.Olson PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 D.Eveland PIT 2 0 0 0 .125 J.Broxton PIT 0 0 0 0 .188 K.Ballouli PIT 2 0 0 0 .150 D.Nicholson PH 1 0 0 0 .118 L.Gonzalez PIT 0 0 0 0 .500 J.Hanrahan PIT 2 0 0 0 .000 J.Weber RF 2 0 1 0 .319 TOTALS 37 5 12 5 TOTALS 34 7 9 7 JACKSONVILLE 0 1 1 0 2 0 0 0 1- 5 12 1 HUNTSVILLE 1 1 1 0 3 0 1 0 X- 7 9 1 E--J.Guzman, C.Crabbe. DP--JACKSONVILLE 0, HUNTSVILLE 1. LOB--JACKSONVILLE 10, HUNTSVILLE 6. 2B--J.Guzman (20), R.Martin (11), N.Cruz (19), C.Crabbe (12). 3B--A.Gwynn (3), C.Crabbe (2). HR--N.Cruz (16), B.Gemoll (4). SB-- T.Donovan 2 (39). CS--J.Guzman. HBP--J.Vandn Berg. SF--J.Guzman. YTD IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA JACKSONVILLE J.Hanrahan (L,4-4) 4.1 7 6 6 2 4 2 5.63 J.Olson 1.2 0 0 0 0 2 0 5.22 J.Broxton 1.0 2 1 1 0 0 0 3.26 L.Gonzalez 1.0 0 0 0 0 2 0 1.77 HUNTSVILLE D.Eveland 4.2 8 4 4 4 4 0 2.94 K.Ballouli (W,3-6) 4.1 4 1 1 0 5 0 4.93 HB--L.Gonzalez. WP--K.Ballouli. PB--R.Martin. SO--T.Donovan, A.LaRoche, T.Meadows 2, J.Loney 2, R.Martin, D.Nicholson, J.Hanrahan, A.Gwynn, K.Bibbs, B.Gemoll, E.Cruz 3, K.Ballouli 2. BB--T.Donovan, T.Meadows, R.Martin 2, N.Cruz 2. T--2:55. A--1775

Huntsville Game Log:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_hunaax_1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Brevard County 10, Jupiter (Marlins) 3

Game Summary from the Hammerheads' Site:

Brewers organization taking advantage of some struggling opponent affiliates at the moment...

JUPITER, FL- The Hammerheads dropped their tenth game in a row on Monday night, falling 10-3 to the Brevard County Manatees. The game was preceded by a 1:03 minute rain delay. Jupiter is still winless in the second half of the Florida State League season with a record of 0-5.

The game began with promise for the Hammerheads. Angel Molina knocked in two runs in the bottom of the first, and Patrick Arlis added an RBI single to put Jupiter up 3-0 after one. Manatees starter Ryan Anderson was chased after a third of an inning after allowing all three Hammerhead runs.

Brevard came right back in the top of the second, with a leadoff home run from Lou Palmisano to cut the deficit to 3-1. Brevard would tie the score with two runs in the third.

After allowing the tying run, Hammerheads starter James Russ retired the last seven batters he faced, and was lifted after the fifth inning with the score still tied at three. Russ went five innings, allowing three runs on six hits while striking out eight. Jimmy DeMontel (1-2) came on to start the sixth and gave up the go-ahead run on an RBI single from Palmisano. Brevard would not look back, going on to score four in the 7th and two in the 8th.

The Hammerheads and Manatees will finish their three game series tomorrow at Roger Dean Stadium on Knothole Gang night. Game time is at 6:35 p.m. (5:35 Central).

Brevard County Box Score:

YTD YTD BREVARD COUNTY AB R H BI AVG JUPITER AB R H BI AVG T.Ezi RF 0 0 0 0 .283 K.Randel 2B 3 1 0 0 .273 T.Ezi CF 5 1 2 0 .283 R.Bear 1B 4 1 1 0 .306 O.Chavez SS 5 2 2 0 .238 A.Molina RF 4 1 2 2 .278 D.Anderson LF 4 2 2 1 .280 R.Abercrombi CF 4 0 0 0 .273 A.Heether 3B 5 2 3 3 .297 P.Arlis CAT 3 0 1 1 .224 S.Moss CF 4 0 2 1 .269 B.Ochoa CAT 1 0 0 0 .000 R.Deevers RF 0 0 0 0 .164 J.Figueroa DH 3 0 1 0 .305 L.Palmisano CAT 4 2 2 2 .239 L.Mitchell 3B 4 0 0 0 .234 J.Eure 1B 4 1 0 0 .212 A.Rohleder LF 4 0 1 0 .161 C.De La Cruz 1B 0 0 0 0 .187 J.Campusano SS 3 0 2 0 .275 B.Diggins DH 4 0 1 1 .250 J.Russ PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 S.Sollmann 2B 4 0 0 0 .256 J.Demontel PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 R.Anderson PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 M.Olivera PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 N.Slack PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 D.Tillman PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 J.Habel PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 R.Schade PIT 0 0 0 0 .222 K.Durost PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 TOTALS 39 10 14 8 TOTALS 33 3 8 3 BREVARD COUNTY 0 1 2 0 0 1 4 2 0-10 14 0 JUPITER 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0- 3 8 1 E--K.Randel. DP--BREVARD COUNTY 0, JUPITER 1. LOB--BREVARD COUNTY 10, JUPITER 5. 2B--O.Chavez 2 (13), A.Heether (13), R.Bear (13), A.Molina (14), J.Figueroa (7). 3B--D.Anderson (5). HR--L.Palmisano (4). SB--L.Palmisano (2), P.Arlis (5). CS--J.Campusano. HBP--J.Eure, S.Sollmann. SF--S.Moss. SH--R.Anderson. YTD IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA BREVARD COUNTY R.Anderson 0.1 3 3 3 2 1 0 6.30 N.Slack 1.2 2 0 0 0 3 0 8.88 J.Habel (W,3-4) 6.0 2 0 0 0 6 0 2.47 K.Durost 1.0 1 0 0 0 2 0 7.89 JUPITER J.Russ 5.0 6 3 3 0 8 1 3.68 J.Demontel (L,1-2) 1.0 3 1 1 0 1 0 6.12 M.Olivera 0.1 0 1 1 1 0 0 3.58 D.Tillman 1.2 5 5 3 1 2 0 2.70 R.Schade 1.0 0 0 0 2 0 0 18.00 HB--J.Demontel, D.Tillman. WP--D.Tillman. SO--O.Chavez, A.Heether, S.Moss 2, J.Eure 3, B.Diggins 3, S.Sollmann, K.Randel 2, R.Bear, R.Abercrombi 2, P.Arlis, J.Figueroa, L.Mitchell 3, A.Rohleder, J.Campusano. BB--T.Ezi, O.Chavez, L.Palmisano, B.Diggins, K.Randel, J.Figueroa. T--3:05. A--624

Brevard County Game Log:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_jupafx_1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Helena 9, Missoula (Diamondbacks) 6

Link while active, text follows:

www.helenair.com/articles...805_03.txt

Rallies help keep Brewers undefeated

By KEVIN SHIVELY - IR Sports Writer

Two-out rallies don't come any sweeter, or as it turned out for the Brewers Monday night, any more crucial.

The Helena Brewers tallied five runs during a two-out hitting spree against Missoula Monday, a rally that ended up saving the team when the Osprey went on a run of their own in the ninth.

Helena was able to hang on to their lead and win the game 9-6, staying perfect for the season as they collected their seventh win.

The Brewers had led the fourth inning off with back-to-back fly outs, but quickly forgot about that when the next four batters all hit doubles to left field. The Brewers proceeded to bat through the order, scoring five runs on six hits.

Helena scored again in the sixth when Angel Salome drove in a run, and twice more in the eighth when Salome sent a double to right.

The New York slugger had five RBI on three hits in the game.

Tyler Morrison was awarded the win for Helena. Morrison pitched six complete innings, the most a Brewer pitcher has thrown all season. In his time on the mound, the 20-year-old pitcher struck out five, allowed only three hits and one run.

That run came on a lead off homer from Osvaldo Diaz in the fourth, and was the only run the Osprey would get until they gave the Brewers a scare in the ninth.

In the inning, Diaz reached with one out on an error, and the next batter, Bryan Byrne was hit by a pitch. Rusty Ryal singled to drive in Diaz and the Brewers pulled reliever Ryan Marion. Luis Bernal took over on the mound and gave up a three-run home run to the first batter he faced, Ricardo Cruz.

Another runner crossed the plate on an RBI single before the Brewers brought in David Welch to relieve Bernal. With the tying run in the on deck circle, Welch struck out the only batter he faced, getting his first save of the year.

The game was the third in a row in Helena that has been delayed for rain.

Helena and Missoula will square off again tonight, seeing action from Helena LHP Derek Miller while Donald Julio (0-1, 13.50 ERA) will pitch for Missoula. The game, baring any interference from the rain, will begin at 7:05 p.m. (8:05 Central).

Helena Box Score:

Seven doubles among 16 H-Crew base hits; Angel Salome was in high school in May 2004 -- the fact that he projects nowhere but catcher is extra-exciting...

YTD YTD MISSOULA AB R H BI AVG HELENA AB R H BI AVG J.Santiago CF 5 0 1 1 .318 C.Fermaint CF 5 3 2 0 .381 P.Ciriaco SS 5 0 1 0 .379 A.Septimo LF 3 1 2 0 .421 G.Thomson RF 3 0 0 0 .276 A.Salome DH 5 0 3 5 .484 O.Diaz DH 4 2 1 1 .333 R.Braun 3B 5 0 2 0 .444 B.Byrne 1B 3 1 1 0 .190 B.Willcutt CAT 5 0 1 0 .241 R.Ryal 3B 4 1 1 1 .304 S.Chapman RF 4 1 1 0 .250 R.Cruz 2B 3 1 1 3 .300 M.Bell SS 4 1 2 1 .286 M.DeCarlo CAT 4 1 0 0 .182 C.Gallardo 1B 4 1 1 1 .286 T.Tully LF 4 0 0 0 .154 R.Crew 2B 4 2 2 1 .455 D.Nippert PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 T.Morrison PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 M.Green PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 R.Marion PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 L.Bernal PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 D.Welch PIT 0 0 0 0 .000 TOTALS 35 6 6 6 TOTALS 39 9 16 8 MISSOULA 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 5- 6 6 1 HELENA 1 0 0 5 0 1 0 2 X- 9 16 3 E--P.Ciriaco, R.Braun, M.Bell, R.Crew. DP--MISSOULA 2, HELENA 1. LOB--MISSOULA 5, HELENA 8. 2B--C.Fermaint (2), A.Salome (5), R.Braun (1), S.Chapman (1), M.Bell (3), C.Gallardo (1), R.Crew (2). HR--O.Diaz (1), R.Cruz (1). SB--C.Fermaint (1), A.Septimo (2). HBP--G.Thomson, B.Byrne. YTD IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA MISSOULA D.Nippert (L,0-1) 4.0 9 6 5 1 0 0 11.00 M.Green 4.0 7 3 3 1 6 0 9.53 HELENA T.Morrison (W,2-0) 6.0 3 1 1 1 5 1 2.00 R.Marion 2.1 1 3 2 0 2 0 5.68 L.Bernal 0.1 2 2 1 0 0 1 27.00 D.Welch (S,1) 0.1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0.00 HB--T.Morrison, R.Marion. WP--D.Nippert, M.Green, R.Marion, D.Welch. SO--J.Santiago, P.Ciriaco 2, O.Diaz 2, B.Byrne, R.Cruz, M.DeCarlo, C.Fermaint, A.Septimo, R.Braun, B.Willcutt 2, C.Gallardo. BB--R.Cruz, A.Septimo 2. T--2:18. A--750

Helena Game Log:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...k_helrok_1

I thought this was an interesting snippet from a recent Matt Lockhart column....looks like the Brewers are trying to set them up as a tandem.

Just last week, Milwaukee's assistant director of player development, Scott Martens, said the organization is content with leaving Iribarren partnered with 18-year-old shortstop Alcides Escobar.

Which means despite his gaudy hitting statistics, Iribarren might not leave the Power this year because Escobar still is considered a youngster who needs time to develop at the low Class A level.

DHonks

For me, the final sale has been his walk rate in Huntsville. Walking every five ABs is good enough for a #8 hitter. And he does seem to at least be able to hit as well (.269 average as of yesterday's game). The OBP has jumped significantly, while his average is holding pretty steady and his slugging has declined a little in the pitcher's league.

If he's not on the 40-man next year, Doug Melvin is making a huge mistake. His offensive numbers (OPS-wise) look to be pretty consistent (.817 in 2002, .768 in 2003, .780 in 2004, and .786 to date in 2005). That sort of OPS is above average for a catcher. And he'd be cheap (10% of what Damian Miller would earn for the first three years, arby might up it the next three). I'd like to see him get a long look next year in spring training.

Archived