Brewer Fanatic

Offseason Moves -- Japanese OF Tatsuya Ozeki

Mass Haas

First, a link to the now-closed August / September in-season transaction thread:

p092.ezboard.com/fbrewers...mp;stop=76

An organization "owns" a player for seven years upon that player signing his first contract with an affiliated ballclub. That "ownership" is transferable via trade.

However, that "ownership" is broken once a player is released by that original organization. After that, players are almost exclusively signed to one-year deals, giving the player the right to look elsewhere (or hope the organization will ask him back and re-sign him).

As our free agent list (also pinned to the top of this forum) shows, the Brewers have already signed several of the players who would have been eligible for free agency to minor league deals for 2006.

They are utilityman Corey Hart, LHP Sam Narron, RHP Darwin Soto, RHP Brian Wolfe, LHP Jeremy Lewis and catcher C. J. Medlin.

We'll post career and 2005 numbers for these players later this weekend in this thread.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure I can consider fawning over Dave's potential and athletic ability to be critical. He basically said that, like Bill Hall, he was a HS kid that needs to mature. For a guy that did not improve at all (Cecil said he had not really paid attention, however) in 2005, Dave still has a ton of nice things said about him.

The apparent snub (no call-up) will hopefully lead him to show up to Arizona in great shape, ready to listen and learn.

An interesting return to the fold, as it were, as Jonathan Phillips, a native of South Africa and a representative on the country's World Cup entry that just completed play, appears to have been signed to a 2006 contract. Phillips is primarily a third baseman, but saw action as well at 2B, SS, and LF in World Cup action, going 6-for-29 with one walk.

Phillips had just turned 17 years old in 2003 when he was a member of the Arizona Brewers, going 13-for-68 (eight walks) in limited action.

Now 19 years old, if nothing else, Phillips gives writers in Helena, West Virginia, and perhaps beyond an interesting story line over the next few seasons.

Unsure about the nature of Phillips' contract status, you would think that he's on a year-to-year basis since his original affiliated seven-year contract was broken upon his release after the 2003 season.

Carl Michaels and Paul Bell, fellow South Africans and former Brewer property as well, participated in the World Cup alongside Phillips. There are a handful of minor leaguers (less than five) from South Africa currently active.

The Brewers and Rockies have finalized the deal that sent 25-year-old RH middle reliever Gerrit Simpson to the Brewers in July, with Colorado accepting cash instead of a PTBNL.

Simpson pitched well in 13 relief appearances with Huntsville. He's Brewer property for two more seasons.

Career stats for the 2001 5th round Rockie pick:

www.thebaseballcube.com/p...pson.shtml

In a move that should meet with approval amongst the minor league legions here, the Brewers have re-signed potential minor league free agent catcher Mike Rivera to a 2006 minor league contract.

Plucked from independent league ball after this spring's Pat Borders trade, the just-turned-29-year-old Rivera slugged .575 on his way to an .860 OPS in 214 AB's with Nashville in 2005, hitting 16 HR's. Sure, he only walked nine times, but he also only struck out 37 times. In 2003, Rivera compiled an .875 OPS with AAA Charlotte (White Sox) in 245 AB's. He has 197 big league AB's (hitting .218) with Detroit and San Diego.

Mike Rivera Career Numbers:

OBP was .320 this year -- error on page...

www.thebaseballcube.com/p...vera.shtml

With the need for catchers in camp, there's little doubt his signing includes a spring training invite. Nice starting option for Nashville in 2006, and a decent third option for the Crew behind Damian Miller and (Chad Moeller or hopefully a newly-acquired catcher-to-groom replacement, like a Kelly Shoppach).

I'm ecstatic that they resigned Mike Rivera. I'm not counting on him to do anything next year, but I feel that there is at least the possibility that he is a good player. Allow me to repost something I posted in another thread:

Quote:
As for Rivera, I disagree that he hasn't shown anything. He played this season as a 28 year old, which means he isn't too old to still turn into a servicable ML player. His MLE for this year was an .800 OPS (well above ML average, even for non-catchers, in other words). His track record for the 3 years before this doesn't support that kind of performance, but he only played a total of ~130 games over those 3 years (presumably he was the backup and played sparingly (2 of those years were spent in MLB)). The last time before this season that he got regular playing time was in 2001 in AA as a 24 year old. He dominated that league to the tune of a .936 OPS. In 2000, he spent most of the year in high A and put up a very nice .875 OPS. He's never slugged below .445 in his pro career in a year where he got regular PT. He has legit power. His OBP leaves something to be desired, but having plus power at backup catcher would be very nice. I really think that Rivera can play in the majors and that he may prove to have been a very nice find by Melvin.

It appears to me that his development curve may have been disrupted by being used as a backup for 3 years. If that is the case, he could still end up being a servicable backup option, even with the low OBP.

Say what you want about Rivera's OBP, but that's darn good SLG. For what it's worth, Cecil Cooper didn't walk a whole heckuva lot either (career OBP of .337, compared to BA of .29http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/glasses.gif , and he didn't strike out much too. I don't know how good of a game he calls or how good defensively he is, but offensively he's better than many major league catchers. A pretty good coup to get him to a minor league deal.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

25-year-old Huntsville RHP Jerome Gamble, oft-injured but potentially dominant, has re-signed with the Brewers, according to the Journal Sentinel. He just finished his first year in the sytem after his injury-plagued stint in the Red Sox chain.

Career numbers:

www.thebaseballcube.com/p...mble.shtml

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Could you post the link to the JS blurb about Gamble. I can't seem to find it.

Wow, boo to the Journal Sentinel on this one, as they included this in a "notes" article this weekend, Tom Haudricourt's, I believe, that I definitely read online. It included a notation about "beginning the process of signing their own", including Mike Rivera, Brian Wolfe, and Gamble. I posted early Monday AM, so it would have been in Sunday's overnight notes. I remember thinking to myself it was a "chock-full" notes column, and apparently the JS did some subsequent snipping.

We'll work on confirming, but I definitely wasn't hallucinating...

The link with the information about Wolfe, Gamble and Rivera is still around.

'The Brewers have begun signing minor-league free agents from their system, including catcher Mike Rivera (.285, 16 HRs, 53 RBI in 60 games at Class AAA Nashville), right-hander Jerome Gamble (4-1, 6.33 ERA, five saves in 31 games at Class AA Huntsville) and right-hander Brian Wolfe (4-2, 2.12, eight saves in 34 games at Class A Brevard County and Huntsville). Assistant general manager Gord Ash said he expected more signings in the next week."

www.jsonline.com/sports/b...360351.asp

• 2 weeks later...

From the list in our "Minor League Free Agent" thread, here's the word on how things worked out now that the October 15th deadline passed for re-signing one's own free agents before they hit the market. Within a week or two, Baseball America will (or should) confirm these findings.

AAA

MR Brett Evert -- now a free agent

SP Gary Glover -- 40-man roster

UT Corey D. Hart (the other Corey Hart) - signed for '06

CF Ryan Knox -- now a free agent

MR Mike Meyers -- now a free agent

UT Warren Morris -- now a free agent

C Julio Mosquera -- now a free agent

SP Sam Narron - signed for '06

MR Tommy Phelps -- now a free agent

C Mike Rivera - signed for '06

UT Steve Scarborough -- now a free agent

MR Clint Weibl -- now a free agent

MR Alec Zumwalt -- now a free agent

3B Tony Zuniga -- now a free agent

AA

SP Dave Bradley - signed for '06

3B Nelson Castro -- now a free agent

CL Matt DeWitt -- now a free agent

CL Jerome Gamble - signed for '06

MR Andy Pratt - signed for '06

SP Chris Saenz -- now a free agent

MR Darwin Soto -- now a free agent

MR Keith Stamler -- now a free agent

C Jeff Winchester -- now a free agent

CL Brian Wolfe - signed for '06

A+

SP Ryan Anderson -- now a free agent

2B Wandel Campana -- now a free agent

CL Jeremy Lewis - signed for '06

C C.J. Medlin - signed for '06

Earlier we had word that RHP Darwin Soto had been signed for 2006, apparently that's not the case. RHP David Bradley and LHP Andy Pratt are new to the 2006 list.

And yes, RHP Chris Saenz, 23 years old and nearly back from Tommy John surgery, takes his six scoreless major league innings into the minor league free agent market.

Here are some other player updates we are aware of:

RHP Forrest Martin, (26 years old next January), was released. Martin had an injury-plagued run since signing as an undrafted free agent in 2003.

Forrest Martin Career Stats:

www.thebaseballcube.com/p...rtin.shtml

RHP Nick Slack was let go. He'd be 23 in January. The Brewers' 20th round pick in 2003 out of a Florida junior college was fast-tracked as a closer from Helena to High Desert, but will otherwise be known as the first (and thus far only) player to be suspended while with the Brewers for the use of performance-enhancing drugs.

Nick Slack Career Stats:

www.thebaseballcube.com/p...lack.shtml

RHP Landon Stockman, 26 years old, won't be back, either. Originally a Detroit draft pick, he was plucked in the minor league phase of last year's Rule 5 draft from the Cleveland organization. He pitched 40 innings at Brevard County this season.

Landon Stockman Career Stats:

www.thebaseballcube.com/p...kman.shtml

We'll post additional updates at mid-day. For the moment, there is an issue in how we can post transactions online via our home page. Eventually, we'll let you know whan all the transactions have been summarized and captured there for your review.

Others now no longer in the organization:

Corner outfielder Ben Van Iderstine was a Canadian product plucked from independent ball. Huntsville fans would be the most familiar with him. He'll be 28 in January.

Ben Van Iderstine Career Stats:

www.thebaseballcube.com/p...tine.shtml

First baseman Carlos Gallardo, 22 years old, was an undrafted player who saw action in Arizona in 2004 and Helena in 2005. He had played for the University of Texas-San Antonio.

Carlos Gallardo Career Stats:

www.thebaseballcube.com/p...ardo.shtml

More tidbits during the overnight...

Just curious as to the future of Ben Van Iderstine. In a recent post I noticed him as a projected starter for Huntsville. Do you think he could get picked up by another organisation ? Feel free to comment.

In a surprise, RHP Derek DeCarlo, the Brewers 9th round pick in 2004 out of Florida International University, has signed paperwork with Milwaukee that places him on their Voluntarily Retired List. The 22-year-old posted an 11-7 record with a 5.33 ERA in his combined Helena (2004) and West Virginia (2005) seasons.

Derek DeCarlo's Career Stats:

www.thebaseballcube.com/p...arlo.shtml

Baseball America listed DeCarlo's 2004 signing bonus at $73,000.

The only other Brewer farmhands on the retired list are RHP Tom Wilhelmsen and OF Robbie Deevers. The Brewers retain rights on each player, although each career is likely over.

Players who remain on the Brewers' Restricted List (never signed official retirement paperwork) are OF Terry Trofholz (22nd round, 2003), RHP Brian Montalbo (7th round, 2003), OF Joel Rivera (15th round, 2003), and IF Carlos Hereaud (9th round, 2005). Hereaud was scheduled to take part in Instructional League, not sure if he actually attended. You'd expect to see Hereaud in uniform next season, and perhaps we'll see Rivera. Regardless, in only the technical sense, you'll still see these names on the Brewerfan Player Index until the Brewers relinquish their rights.

Speaking of which, players removed from the Restricted List and no longer part of the organization are:

OF Ryan Gordon, an undrafted free agent out of UNC-Greensboro who never suited up in a pro game for the Brewers

LHP Jared Theodorakos (25th round, 2003)

RHP Luis Bernal (33rd round, 2004)

RHP Victor Arias, a Dominican product who pitched 21.1 innings for the Arizona Rookie squad in 2004

RHP Dany Mosquea, another Dominican who last pitched in Arizona in 2004

RHP Jorge Fermin, a Dominican who made 15 combined appearances with Arizona in 2004 and 2005

Finally, there were two other releases:

RHP Carlos Cespedes, who made ten relief appearances for Arizona Rookie in 2005

RHP Nathaniel Villar, yet another young Dominican, he made one appearance with Arizona Rookie

This should complete the transaction news for another month or so, unless some minor league free agent signings trickle in. The next update in November should include all the placement news regarding the Rule 5 draft.

The Brewerfan Player Index should now accurately represent the current organizational roster.

• 1 month later...

The Brewers have signed 32-year-old 2B/3B Brian Dallimore as a minor league free agent. He has appeared briefly in call-ups with San Francisco the past two seasons.

Brian Dallimore Career Stats:

www.thebaseballcube.com/p...more.shtml

Dallimore's Rotowire transaction history, with commentary:

www.rotowire.com/baseball...tm?ID=8241

Archived