Brewer Fanatic

Link Report Monday 4/10 -- Watch The Sounds Live

Brewer Fanatic Staff

NOTE: Monday night's Nashville Game is available to watch free from the new MILB.TV web page:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c.../video.jsp

Monday's Daily Menu: Home Opener for the Manatees

All times Central; pitchers subject to change --

Nashville: LHP Justin Thompson at Iowa (Cubs), 6:45 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Audio link:

www.nashvillesounds.com/listenlive/

Nashville Game Day Feature from MILB.com:

Please note that GameDay links will not become active until approximately 1-2 hours before game time

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_iowaaa_1

Huntsville: RHP Khalid Ballouli at Mississippi (Braves), 6:50 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime; the finale of the first of all five-game series in the Southern League this year...

Audio link:

www.espn1450.com/

Brevard County: RHP Mike Jones at home vs. Palm Beach (Cardinals), 6:00 PM; welcome back, Mike!

Audio link (opponent's):

www.palmbeachcardinals.com/

West Virginia: RHP Robbie Wooley at Greensboro (Marlins), 6:00 PM; Agustin Septimo, lost in the latest Rule 5 draft, hit a home run Sunday and faces his former teammates tonight...

Audio link:

www.sportsjuice.com/provi...e=wvpower.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

www.floridatoday.com/apps...002/sports

Manatees fan-friendly

Cow bells, ticket packages part of new, 'fun' look

BY SCOTT BROWN

FLORIDA TODAY

Free parking, a video-game room and ushers wearing tie-dyed T-shirts are all part of the new era of Brevard County Manatees baseball that general manager Buck Rogers plans to usher in this season.

Local fans will have their first look tonight at the, well, new look that encompasses the team, the support staff at Space Coast Stadium and the stadium itself as the Manatees play the Palm Beach Cardinals in their home opener.

The 7 p.m. game includes a cow-bell giveaway -- the first 500 fans get them. That's the first of what promises to be many promotions this season, since the quirky Rogers generally regards them just below oxygen in terms of importance.

Another promotion for the home opener: It's "guaranteed-win night."

"We're calling our shot, and saying we're going to win," Rogers said. "If not, as you exit the stadium, you're going to lay your ticket on the table and we're going to stamp it saying, 'We goofed. Come back and have (a game) on us.' "

Rogers is confident some of the changes will be winners, part of the Manatees' new approach since the franchise became the property of a private ownership group headed by Dr. Tom Winters of Orlando.

Take the new season-ticket package. Rogers said he will "put it up" against any in professional sports.

The cost is $280 and it includes 70 tickets, a reserved seat, parking on the paved lots and 20 percent off all Manatees merchandise. Season-ticket holders also get early admission to games that have giveaways as well as a card that allows them free admission into any Manatees road contests around the Florida State League.

Aside from six designated dates -- five that have postgame fireworks afterward and one that will feature an all-you-can-eat night as well as an eating contest -- the tickets can be used for any game.

What is unique about this, Rogers said, is that if season-ticket holders have relatives or friends in town and want to take them to a Manatees game, they can use as many tickets as they want.

The team, a high Class-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers, should be interesting to watch since it has three first-round picks on the roster and is expected to be very competitive in the FSL.

"We have a great club coming in here," said starting pitcher Mark Rogers, the fifth overall pick of Major League Baseball's amateur draft in 2004, "not just first rounders but all around."

Added manager Ramon Aviles, whose team is off to a 4-0 start, "We played real good in spring training. We've got good speed in the outfield, which is good in this league."

The spacious ballparks that are host to FSL games feature more than just baseball.

At least that will be the case at Space Coast Stadium.

The room used to serve lunch to scouts, reporters and team personnel during spring-training games has been turned into an arcade. It is still a work in progress, but it already has two "Golden Tees," "NBA Jam" and a couple of driving games. When completed, it will serve concessions and also offer music, Rogers said.

For younger kids, a full-size jungle gym will be installed just below the concourse on the stadium's first-base side. Youngsters will have a chance to play in inflatable toys that will also be in the picnic area.

During rain delays, Rogers said, Disney movies will be played on a big-screen TV in the guest lounge on the ground floor of Space Coast Stadium. Meanwhile, famous baseball bloopers will be shown on one of the concourses.

"This has nothing to do with the game of baseball," Rogers said, "but it's the fan experience. What can I do at Space Coast Stadium now?"

Looks like plenty this season.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Follow Monday's action as it happens:

Here's what you do, right click on each of the links below and choose "Open in New Window". Activate the Nashville Gameday. For the other links, choose "Log". While you're listening to your minor league game of choice (or watching/listening to the big league Crew when they are playing), simply refresh your game log browsers every so often. It's sweet!

Nashville:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_iowaaa_1

Huntsville:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_msbaax_1

Brevard County:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_breafa_1

West Virginia:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_gboafx_1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

This link will be included in each daily report when the Nashville Sounds and/or Huntsville Stars are scheduled to play. Normally it is updated an hour or two prior to gametime:

Nashville Media Notes (Adobe .pdf format):

All set for Monday already!

www.nashvillesounds.com/pdf/notes.pdf

Following Nashville's lead, Huntsville now makes its media notes available as well, nice:

www.huntsvillestars.com/i...eNotes.pdf

Brewer Fanatic Staff
 Pacific Coast League (AAA) - American North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Iowa 3 1 .750 - 3-1 0-0 W3 Omaha 3 1 .750 - 3-1 0-0 L1 [b]Nashville 1 3 .250 2.0 0-0 1-3 W1[/b] Memphis 0 4 .000 3.0 0-0 0-4 L4 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Southern League (AA) - North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Chattanooga 3 1 .750 - 0-0 3-1 W3 West Tenn 3 1 .750 - 0-0 3-1 W1 Carolina 2 2 .500 1.0 0-0 2-2 W2 [b]Huntsville 2 2 .500 1.0 0-0 2-2 L2[/b] Tennessee 1 3 .250 2.0 0-0 1-3 L3 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Florida State League (A+) - East Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]Brevard County 4 0 1.000 - 0-0 4-0 W4[/b] Palm Beach 3 1 .750 1.0 1-1 2-0 W1 St. Lucie 3 1 .750 1.0 2-0 1-1 L1 Jupiter 1 3 .250 3.0 0-2 1-1 L1 Vero Beach 1 3 .250 3.0 1-1 0-2 W1 Daytona 0 4 .000 4.0 0-4 0-0 L4 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- South Atlantic League (A) - Northern Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Greensboro 4 0 1.000 - 4-0 0-0 W4 Lexington 4 0 1.000 - 4-0 0-0 W4 Delmarva 3 1 .750 1.0 0-0 3-1 W3 Lake County 3 1 .750 1.0 0-0 3-1 L1 Hickory 1 3 .250 3.0 1-3 0-0 W1 [b]West Virginia 1 3 .250 3.0 1-3 0-0 L3[/b] Hagerstown 0 4 .000 4.0 0-0 0-4 L4 Lakewood 0 4 .000 4.0 0-0 0-4 L4

HELP!!! I am trying to listen to the BC and Palm beach game.. I logged in on the link Live 365.com under the Palm beach comes back Jupiterstadium is not broadcasting at this time does anyone know if Palm Beach only broadcast home games? Does anyone know any other way to listen to the BC game... Thank You

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Wow, great start for the Manatees. Chuck goes yard, Irribarren hitting like he's back in the AZL and Mike Jones seemingly picking up where he left off. Great game to follow so far.

If Jones can do anything of note this year, I'll be estatic. I'd more or less written him off.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

really good to see the early success for Jones. Also, after struggling in WV in '05 for Wooley, good to get through the first few innings there.

Many of us aren't counting on these guys, or Parra (et al), but it sure would be nice to have a few guys step up like Villanueva and Dillard last year.

Remember when Freddy Parejo was a top ten prospect in the AZL?

Well, I obviously do! And I'm glad to see a bit of early success with him, too. Though, if memory serves he started hot in WV last year, too, before a dismal campaign.

From what I remember, he got written up similar to Cain: a toolsy corner outfielder that could add power as his weight fills in. The FO must have thought highly of him to have head from the AZL to full-season ball without the Helena transition last year.

It sure is a balst to get excited about old and new prospects this time of year.

good to see Ben Stanczyk getting some action.

Also, can Brian or someoen please remind me why Khalid Baloulli is still in the organization? I can't remember him ever posting halfway decent numbers, but I remember several with big man-crushes on him

edit: rough outing so far for Ben

[ Also, can Brian or someoen please remind me why Khalid Baloulli is still in the organization? I can't remember him ever posting halfway decent numbers, but I remember several with big man-crushes on him ]

Actually, I think it's only I who's had a man-crush on Khalid. He's in the organization as per my request.

notes from tonight's West Virginia Game:

Angel Salome: He didn't really get anything to hit tonight...they walked him twice...looked good stopping the ball, has a cannon...didn't get to try and throw anyone out stealing, but threw down to first once, and he's got a laser

Mat Gamel: Didn't look great at the plate, and made an error in the field...i'll keeep an eye on him tommorrow

Darren Ford: Stole 2nd and 3rd in the first inning...he's unbelievably fast..stole second---slid in and stood up before the ball got there---Also, he was safe by a step when he got thrown out at first later in the game.

Robbie Wooley: Throws gas...the gun wasn't on tonight, so i don't know exactly how fast, but noticeably hard...his line will look good, but when he missed, he missed by a bunch...threw a couple balls that must have been 7-8 feet off the ground, as Angel didn't have a chance

Lorenzo Cain: Hits the ball very hard...

Ryan Crew: a bit shaky in the field...got a nice hit...but looked relatively lost at the plate

Michael Brantley: Runs well...hits the other way...pretty exciting...reminded me a bit of will lewis..

So, the team looked pretty good...nowhere near the power they had last year, so i wonder if they will score a bunch of runs...

I'm excited about tommorrow...If anyone has a particular player they want me to watch closely, let me know

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: West Virginia 2, Greensboro (Marlins) 0

West Virginia Site Game Summary:

Power Pitching Staff Blanks Greensboro

The Greensboro Grasshoppers entered Monday Night?s game against the West Virginia Power at 4-0 and had a league best .345 team batting average. The Power held the Grasshoppers to five hits and beat the Grasshoppers by the final score of 2-0.

Ryan Crew drove in both runs for the Power. In the top of the first inning he walked with the bases loaded to give the Power a 1-0 lead. He struck again in the top of the seventh with a two-out RBI single to make it a 2-0 Power lead. The Grasshoppers had runners on second and third base with only one out in the bottom of the eighth inning, but that was as close as they came to scoring. Angel Salome went 0 for 3 but reached base his first four times up, and he reached base in nine consecutive at bats dating back to Sunday?s game.

Rafael Lluberes (1-1) earned the victory, Wilfrido Laureano (1) earned the save and Chris Leroux (0-1) obtained the loss. The Power are 2-3 after the win and the Grasshoppers fall to 4-1 with the loss.

The Power will continue the series against the Greensboro Grasshoppers at First Horizon Park in Greensboro, North Carolina on Tuesday afternoon. Right hander Kevin Roberts (0-0, 1.80) will start for the Power and Greensboro will counter with right hander Chris Volstad (0-0, 11.25). The first pitch is scheduled for 12:30 PM (11:30 AM Central).

West Virginia Box Score:

No mention of Robbie Wooley's effort in the summary -- not fair, wonderful "pitch-to-contact" outing...

West Virginia Game Log:

Power 5-for-6 on the basepaths; Grasshopper baserunners doubled off of third base in the 2nd and off 2nd base in the 4th to help bail Wooley out of jams; wasted Power opportunity in the 4th; Wilfrido Laureano pitched out of a huge 8th inning situation...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Brevard County 10, Palm Beach (Cardinals) 3

Guaranteed Win Night a success...

Brevard County Box Score:

Welcome back, Mike Jones! You too, Luis Pena! Charlie Fermaint, Steve Sollman, Freddy Parejo three hits apiece; Ryan Braun a BB and an HBP, but also three K's; Carlos de la Cruz a late fill-in at 2B, the first time we've seen him there, I believe; Sollman your 1B a night after starting at shortstop...

Brevard County Game Log:

Ben Stanczyk entered the game in the 4th, immediately allowed four extra base hits, says "that's enough", and strikes out the side, all swinging...

Quote:
Anybody else just lose the sound on the MiLBTV?

Mine has been going out in between innings, but usually comes back.

Tied at 6 in the 11th...good game, had a nice 9th inning comeback by Nashville.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Huntsville 12, Mississippi (Braves) 5

Stars' site summary in just a bit...

Huntsville Box Score:

Braves went up 3-0 in the first, didn't score again until the 9th; the Stars drew 30 walks in the five-game series and broke out the bats tonight, with 16 hits; Khalid Ballouli had the groundball pitch working tonight; Greg Sain makes his Star debut with a pinch-hit appearance, flying out; newcomer Ron Acuna on base five times; neat that Matt Yeatman was re-acquired...

Huntsville Game Log:

Gerrit Simpson replaced a tiring Joe Winkelsas and ended the game with one pitch...

I'm excited about tommorrow...If anyone has a particular player they want me to watch closely, let me know.

Thanks for the first-hand reports pogo, I look forward to more the next few days.

I would like to hear you talk about Michael Brantley in greater detail. You mentioned that he is pretty exciting, but then that he reminded you of Will Lewis. Exciting isn't a word I would use to describe Will Lewis, a player who I think there was a reason why he wasn't moved up more quickly (or even kept around) despite people calling the Brewers out on it. I guess does Brantley profile to do anything above average? If he does everything well that's good, but if he's a LF with a contact bat, not much power and not game-changing speed he may not be considered more than a 4th OF (although the walks are nice).

Lorenzo Cain is another player I'd like to know more about. At one point in time he looked like a tall, rangy leadoff type OF, but after last year people were talking about him more as a power-hitting RF prospect.

And any reports on the pitchers would be swell. Welch, Renkert, Ryan, Roberts, Parillo...and of course Inman.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Iowa (Cubs) 7, Nashville 6, 11 innings

When reliever Allan Simpson reached 48 pitches midway through the 11th inning, Frank Kremblas had to turn to utility man Chris Barnwell on the mound:

Bottom 11TH B:2 S:2 O:0

Jamal Strong hit by pitch.

Bottom 11TH B:3 S:2 O:0

Buck Coats hits a sacrifice bunt. Fielding error by catcher Mike Rivera. Jamal Strong to 2nd. Buck Coats to 1st.

Bottom 11TH B:0 S:0 O:0

Offensive Substitution: Pinch hitter Augie Ojeda replaces David Aardsma.

Defensive switch from left field to 3rd for Vinny Rottino.

Defensive switch from catcher to 1st for Mike Rivera.

Defensive switch from catcher to pitcher for Chris Barnwell.

Defensive switch from 1st to left field for Brad Nelson.

Defensive switch from 3rd to shortstop for Enrique Cruz.

Defensive Substitution: Mark Johnson replaces catcher Mike Rivera, batting 9th.

Bottom 11TH B:2 S:2 O:0

Augie Ojeda hits a sacrifice bunt. Jamal Strong to 3rd. Buck Coats to 2nd. Augie Ojeda to 1st.

Felix Pie singles on a fly ball to center fielder Tony GwynnJr. Jamal Strong scores. Buck Coats to 3rd. Augie Ojeda to 2nd.

Details from the Sounds site later on...

Archived