Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Games of Sunday, June 11th

They let a potentially excellent 2B pay little or no attention to his D, promoted him continually despite his failures and I hate to think that they may have left it all too late and robbed us of the privelege of seeing a guy who could have been a genius in the field as well as at the plate.

Ah, so they're not promoting Hart/Sarfate/whoever when they're ready to produce, but when they justly promote Weeks the Evil Brewers are just as guilty. Coaches can only coach, at some point the players have to take responsibility for their own play. I'm quite sure that the Brewers have been trying their best to get Weeks to straighten his defense out.

Krynzel I think is entirely more tenuous, but I think they screwed very badly with his confidence in the middle of his second year at Huntsville.

How exactly did they do that? The way you talk about these guys (Hendrickson and Krynzel) you'd think that they're mental cases that fall to pieces at the drop of a hat.

If there's a side at fault in the Krynzel-Brewers relationship, I think Krynzel's actions this past offseason didn't exactly treat the organization well.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Sure, in a perfect world where all is fair and just Weeks would have played another year of AA/AAA but given the fact that he signed a major league deal, the Brewers almost had to promote him fast than they wanted to. They have the luxury of letting Hart go back and forth from AAA to MLB for a few years. It's not fair, it's reality.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm not going to get into this again with you, I'm entirely happy you disagree and you're free to paraphrase my arguments in whatever wild fashion you care to. The only point I'm going to make is that despite your incredulity, it is entirely possible for the same organization to promote some players too quickly and others too slowly, even though that isn't anything I actually mentioned.

I'd also imagine that I'm not the only one on this board who has had dealings with mental illness and you throwing around phrases like 'mental cases', is not only distasteful but entirely unnecessary in the context of a supposedly civilized conversation about baseball. I'm done with this thread

I'm not going to get into this again with you, I'm entirely happy you disagree and you're free to paraphrase my arguments in whatever wild fashion you care to.

How exactly was what I paraphrased inconsistent with your argument?

I'd also imagine that I'm not the only one on this board who has had dealings with mental illness and you throwing around phrases like 'mental cases', is not only distasteful but entirely unnecessary in the context of a supposedly civilized conversation about baseball.

Like I said, you talk about the psyches of these players as if they're poor mistreated guys who are destroyed mentally and/or emotionally every time the organization promotes or demotes them or whatever. I don't think that's the case at all, and I think you're the one that is portraying these guys in an unflattering light.

I'm done with this thread

So that's two of the last threads where you slammed the organization heavily for supposed mistreatment of players, that you've withdrawn yourself from the threads when people raise counterpoints that question the basis of your argument.... stick around and have an actual debate, don't sulk away.

In both threads I withdrew because we seem to be incapable of having a civil discussion. I'm going to make that impossible in future by ignoring all of your posts - so be happy this is a last reply.

If you choose to think that iI'm dropping out of conversation with you because I cower before your irrefutable logic, please do so and I hope it makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

The truth is that I find it thoroughly unpleasant to have a discussion with someone who throws about words and phrases like 'Evil' ( a word I use about people like Hitler rather than the Brewers as you characterise me), 'mental-cases' (a phrase I happily don't use at all and thought had been dropped by most thinking human beings) and 'talking out of both sides of your mouth' (a phrase I find unnecesarily rude).

And those are only samples from our last two 'discussions',.

I come here for relaxation and polite intelligent discussion, interacting with you provides me with neither of those things, therefore I choose to ignore you. But believe what you will.

I do believe Krynzel has been mentioned as one who didn't deal well with reaching his "goals" and then finding he wasn't going to be promoted. Of course that was back when we had a bit more open dialogue with family members of players and not much has been said about it in a while.

Given that Krynzel has admitted to not putting his full effort behind playing baseball, I think it's a fairly safe assumption to make that in the past he hasn't dealt well with how his promotions, or lack thereof, have been handled.

Though I think it's difficult to place all of the blame on the Brewers management, especially in a case like Krynzel's.

In both threads I withdrew because we seem to be incapable of having a civil discussion.

I guess I fail to see how either of the threads has been uncivil.

The truth is that I find it thoroughly unpleasant to have a discussion with someone who throws about words and phrases like 'Evil' ( a word I use about people like Hitler rather than the Brewers as you characterise me), 'mental-cases' (a phrase I happily don't use at all and thought had been dropped by most thinking human beings) and 'talking out of both sides of your mouth' (a phrase I find unnecesarily rude).

If that's what you view as uncivil, then you're being a bit overly sensitive. "Talking out of both sides of your mouth" is a phrase that is used pretty much every day where I live, so I'm not sure what the problem is. And I fail to see how your opinion of the organization can be seen as good, as it is quite apparent that you fail to see anything that the Brewers do as far as player development goes as good or appropriate, regardless of whether it actually is. Referring to them as the "Evil Brewers" is a bit of hyperbole, which is a common method used in writing to emphasise a point. I fail to see how you can legitimately take offense to that. As I said, your continued claims that the Brewers' prospects are routinely "hurting their confidence" or get them upset by calling them up or sending them down or trying to improve their mechanics or whatever paint them in a very poor light emotionally and mentally. If those 'examples' are what causes you to think that the discussion isn't civil, I think you're overreacting.

If you choose to think that iI'm dropping out of conversation with you because I cower before your irrefutable logic, please do so and I hope it makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

No, that is not my claim or feeling. But when you withdraw from a debate where you heavily slam the organization after people raise valid points that challenge your argument, it certainly looks like you're sulking away because you don't have an answer, whether that's correct or not.

I come here for relaxation and polite intelligent discussion

And I come here for intelligent discussion as well, and expect it to be based around evidence and facts. If you're not prepared to defend your constant allegations that the Brewers' organization is mistreating players and hurting their development, what kind of discussion are you actually engaging in?

Referring to them as the "Evil Brewers" is a bit of hyperbole, which is a common method used in writing to emphasise a point.

It may emphasize the point, but it may not be fair to the opposing point of view, since whatever they said was not that extreme. It's easy for that to spin off into a misunderstanding (see above).

At the same time, huntsvillefan, it seems like you expect Peavey to know which phrases are going to set you off, and get pretty offended when he says something that you don't like, or wouldn't use yourself. I have to agree that "talking out of both sides of your mouth" is pretty tame, not much different than "you're saying two different things." And while I can appreciate your feelings about "mental cases", it's not really fair to assume that everyone is going to feel the same way without some sort of personal experience to behind it. It seems like a more productive way to address this would be to explain how you interpret these phrases first and react second, rather than the other way around.

And Peavey, instead of taking a "you're too sensitive it doesn't mean anything of the sort" stance, perhaps a "I'm sorry, it means something completely different to me and I didn't realize you would feel that way about it" response would help diffuse tension as well.

Now let's all hug.

And while I can appreciate your feelings about "mental cases", it's not really fair to assume that everyone is going to feel the same way without some sort of personal experience to behind it.

I was going to drop this but apparently I'm not allowed to. If you honestly think that use of the phrase 'mental cases' is only offensive to someone with personal experience, then I think you should phone a few mental health organizations and ask how they feel about its use especially in this sort of context.

Its just as offensive as those words that begin with 'n' and 'f' that would hopefully get someone banned from a site that considers itself family friendly.

If its not bad enough that someone would trot it out anyway, Peavey actually puts it into my mouth

The way you talk about these guys (Hendrickson and Krynzel) you'd think that they're mental cases that fall to pieces at the drop of a hat.

Apart from being not even a close approximation of anything I have ever said, I find just as offensive as if he'd suggested I was calling Rickie Weeks a 'n-----', . Those kids have families who visit this site and I don't think they should have to read offensive bigotry like that.

To be blunt, I don't think that anyone who either uses or endorses that phrase should be a moderator on a family friendly site. But thankfully that isn't my business.

You may feel that this is somehow over sensitive or overly politically correct, but I'd be willing to bet that any family based organizations you chose to contact would be closer to my view than yours.

You may have worked out that I have no intention of hugging and in fact I'll stick to my original plan of ignoring anything Peavey says. If this transgresses a site rule please feel free to ban me.

EDIT Actually on due consideration, save yourself the trouble, I'll ban myself. That way moderators can go back to using Mental Illness as a source of humor, hyperbole and insult without anyone objecting. I understand that its 'not really fair' to expect anyone here to behave differently.

Actually on due consideration, save yourself the trouble, I'll ban myself.

Well I hope that isn't the case since I do enjoy your insight. Unfortunately you fall into a group of people who are somewhat critical of the Brewers organization and criticism of the Brewers organization is not really popular to many here. I don't think it's a personal attack on you any more than it would be on me or anyone else who dares to question an organization with a track record as abysmal as the Brewers. I hope you calm down enough to just ignore some of the fundamentalism when it comes to criticism of the Brewers. The number of people who don't simply support everything the Brewers do or say are dwindling and not, unfortunately, because of the Brewers record.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Are you serious???
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived